+ Reply to Thread
Page 740 of 740 FirstFirst ... 240 640 690 730 738 739 740
Results 14,781 to 14,797 of 14797

Thread: American Politics thread: No Nazis Allowed

Default Re: American Politics thread: No Nazis Allowed

It's been pointed out by several people that Trump would have been briefed about this before leaving on the trip and chose to have his stooges attempt to discredit the FBI rather than trying to build anything resembling an actual defense.
    Complicating things since 2009.

after yesterday, it really seems more likely than just plausible that "collusion" was pretty persistent throughout the entire body of GOP lawmakers

21st Century Schizoid Man S.C. Amigo's Avatar

So, what are the odds that this actually does cause serious changes, and not that somehow Trump evades any real sanctions on him?

Quote Originally Posted by tatermoog View Post
    after yesterday, it really seems more likely than just plausible that "collusion" was pretty persistent throughout the entire body of GOP lawmakers
    That's pretty much the only explanation for the pure blind support they've given Trump at this point and how much cover they are giving him, and aiding in trying to discredit the FBI.

Fear of backlash from his base should only extend so far, and even pure greed should have limits. Everything they want to do that's just greed based they can do with Pence just as easily, and midterms are really not that far away... and all signs point to them losing their hold on all three branches after that.

How exactly will the GOP lose their hold on the judicial branch? So many judges appointed by Trump, including the SC.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGreenBlue View Post
    How exactly will the GOP lose their hold on the judicial branch? So many judges appointed by Trump, including the SC.
    I meant they won't be holding all three, not that they'll lose all three.

All we need is for them to not be in *complete* control and most of the worst stuff can start being blocked or negotiated.

There's always digging up FDR's court packing scheme, though that would probably lead to an astounding arms race as administrations come and go.

London is making me so proud today.

Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    London is making me so proud today.

I see it doesn't take much to make you proud.

What, you want more?

21st Century Schizoid Man S.C. Amigo's Avatar

You're a good city, London.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Chaos View Post
    I see it doesn't take much to make you proud.
    Hi again Earthquake.

Add South Ayrshire in Scotland to the group who knows what's up

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/07/wat...urnberry-club/

Also his golf course is apparently losing money (who knew?)

Also add Elon Musk to top 50 of wealthy people giving money to Republican PACs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Dog does not approve. onemoment's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Add South Ayrshire in Scotland to the group who knows what's up

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/07/wat...urnberry-club/

Also his golf course is apparently losing money (who knew?)

Also add Elon Musk to top 50 of wealthy people giving money to Republican PACs.

Summary of video: The people of Scotland have been doing this for more than a decade, and I for one am glad to see they have yet to stop.

Complicating things since 2009.

Something sticking in my head today:

So, we all know Russia interfered in the election, and we all know it had an impact. There's at least general agreement among folk with any common sense that, in a close election, the Internet Research Agency's trolling and the GRU's hacks did do genuine damage to Hillary's campaign. This is not to say that the election is entirely Russia's fault, since none of this would have happened if we weren't collectively stupid already, but in an election this close, it's at least extremely plausible to suggest that the combined Russian efforts were enough to influence the election in the direction it happened.

On the other hand, the IC has been deeply reluctant to make any claims of that sort. While it's certainly not claimed anything in the opposite direction, almost every claim regarding the influence on the election has been that vote totals weren't manipulated (very different claim) or that the assessment's did not judge the activity's effect on the election. This is all actually pretty smart; I really can't even come to terms with the conflict that would happen if the IC were to claim the election was illegitimate.

Which brings me to the latest indictment. As has been typical, he had two softening statements in the middle: "There is no allegation in this indictment that any American citizen committed a crime. There is no allegation that the conspiracy changed the vote count or affected any election result."

But what strikes me on this is, after reading the indictment, it is extremely clear that we're headed in the direction of indictments regarding the former of the two statements in the very near future. Which, if that's the case, and it is, it has me thinking: are we actually going to go all the way through with making positive claims regarding the latter? Because, if so, we're just at the tip of iceberg in terms of partisan conflict.

If nothing else, the rogue agents in the FBI that was going to leak information were responsible for Comey declaring that Hillary was under investigation a week before the vote, (so as to make the announcement officially instead of having it happen unnoficially out of control) and that alone was almost certainly the tipping point on the narrow margins.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information