+ Reply to Thread
Page 744 of 744 FirstFirst ... 244 644 694 734 742 743 744
Results 14,861 to 14,879 of 14879

Thread: American Politics thread: No Nazis Allowed

Default Re: American Politics thread: No Nazis Allowed

And we haven’t even discussed Mark Zuckerberg defending holocaust denial as a valid point of view or Elon Musk accusing the saviour of the Thai football team of being a pedophile because he got there before Musk’s tacky mini-sub.

Okay that's some uncanny valley if ever I saw it.

And nice of Paul Ryan to call out the racist pom-pom brigade of the Republican Party all the while guys like Steve King and Donald Trump represent the party (and as Republicans push be bills that negatively affect minorities at various levels)
    Also nice of Rand Paul to perfectly illustrate how much of idiot he is.

Okay that's some uncanny valley if ever I saw it.

And nice of Paul Ryan to call out the racist pom-pom brigade of the Republican Party all the while guys like Steve King and Donald Trump represent the party (and as Republicans push be bills that negatively affect minorities at various levels)
    Also nice of Rand Paul to perfectly illustrate how much of idiot he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    And we haven’t even discussed Mark Zuckerberg defending holocaust denial as a valid point of view or Elon Musk accusing the saviour of the Thai football team of being a pedophile because he got there before Musk’s tacky mini-sub.
    Should John Schnatter slot in here with him being mad he was forced to resign along with some even more less than flattering news coming out about his actions and shady business practices?

Granted he's the the billionaire founder of a tech related company.
    Last edited by Green_vs_Red; July 19th, 2018 at 04:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Should John Schnatter slot in here with him being mad he was forced to resign along with some even more less than flattering news coming out about his actions and shady business practices?

Granted he's the the billionaire founder of a tech related company.
    Nah. He's not an obnoxious techbro, he's a self-made racist asshole that takes the view "if I can do it, anyone can" and doesn't seem to realize he' where he is because of luck. Different beast, but still detestable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
    Nah. He's not an obnoxious techbro, he's a self-made racist asshole that takes the view "if I can do it, anyone can" and doesn't seem to realize he' where he is because of luck. Different beast, but still detestable.
    I mean, that sounds like most obnoxious techbros.

BTW, I count myself as morally bankrupt.

I mean from asking, storing, filtering and presenting people's contact information to sell them shitty insurance and not realizing it until a year later, to do the same to get them to vote for the worst possible candidate there isn't much difference.

I used to work as a consultant to some of the Venezuelan government expropriated banks.

Our craft is so removed from its effects on people, and our decision making power is so far removed from the chain of command, that once you get to the top is halfway entitlement/resentment halfway naivety of what you do doesn't impact anyone in any deep way.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

So, you know how Trump just had a private meeting with Putin where he agreed to who knows what and absolutely no one has any idea what was agreed upon and so Putin has a blank check to say whatever he wants? The Dems put up a vote to subpeona the translator that was at Trump's meeting with Putin because as the ONE AMERICAN IN THE ROOM, it's probably important to hear from them what was said!

Guess what happened next.

GUESS.

That's right, Republicans downvoted the motion and then proceeded to push forth an investigation about...

Hillary's emails.

Can't make this shit up.

Discovered Stowaway Big Black Hole's Avatar

Special Counsel Mueller will probably subpoena her anyway, so this thing's far from over.

Carrot's still never gonna join the crew.

Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    So, you know how Trump just had a private meeting with Putin where he agreed to who knows what and absolutely no one has any idea what was agreed upon and so Putin has a blank check to say whatever he wants? The Dems put up a vote to subpeona the translator that was at Trump's meeting with Putin because as the ONE AMERICAN IN THE ROOM, it's probably important to hear from them what was said!

Guess what happened next.

GUESS.

That's right, Republicans downvoted the motion and then proceeded to push forth an investigation about...

Hillary's emails

Can't make this shit up.
    I really don’t think it would be a good look for US Diplomacy if world leaders had to worry about the secrecy of their entire private conversations with the US president being jeopardized by the interrogation of interpretors... whom no doubt have been sworn to utmost secrecy else face extensive criminal proceedings, specifically because these kind of diplomatic talks are so sensitive to all the parties involved.

Like, these conversations are private for a reason. You can’t do mob diplomacy, it would never work and would end up with politicians staging their talks to appeal to the electorate rather than fix the real issues at hand.

But hey. Maybe that’s just me. I don’t think, personally, that it’s a good precedent to set.

Lol Hillary’s emails
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch
    You're the kind of person that can't make the difference between "facts" and "far-righty rambling" but somehow you think you can legit talk like this. You're the Ben Shapiro of this forum
    Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    I really don’t think it would be a good look for US Diplomacy if world leaders had to worry about the secrecy of their entire private conversations with the US president being jeopardized by the US Congress coming in and interrogating the interpretors... whom no doubt have been sworn to utmost secrecy else face extensive criminal proceedings.
    He ONLY has private meetings with Putin. No one else. ONLY Putin and Russians. If he was also doing top secret meetings with England and Canada and Australia and that was his style, okay. But ONLY with Russia?

And has refused to say anything about what was actually negotiated or talked about, even though it affects US policy on who knows what going forward, so Putin can literally say anything he wants. Literally days after appearing on the world stage right next to Putin saying "I side with him over the US, and I believe him over the US."

The public doesn't need to know about the back and forth, but they do need to know the results and any commitments that have been made, not vauge "well maybe we've okayed Putin to take over another country in six months, and told him rigging out next election is great."

And there are lots and lots of reasons to believe they were working together prior to this, and prior to the election. Ya know, that whole COLLUSION thing Trump keeps swearing there was none of.

Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    He ONLY has private meetings with Putin. No one else. ONLY Putin and Russians. If he was also doing top secret meetings with England and Canada and Australia and that was his style, okay. But ONLY with Russia?

And has refused to say anything about what was actually negotiated or talked about, even though it affects US policy on who knows what going forward, so Putin can literally say anything he wants. Literally days after appearing on the world stage right next to Putin saying "I side with him over the US, and I believe him over the US."
    Literally the same thing happened with NK. And with China, iirc? Secret meeting, only interpretors. General lack of hard commitments(stopping military exercise was one of them but little else iirc) just vague ideas, exactly like with Putin. The US has made no official commitments to Russia, if anything’s been proposed it was one-sidesly Trump... and you don’t live in a Dictatorship so what he suggests is either way linited unless done officially.

I think interrogating the interpretor would set a bad precedent. If it’s done, has to be limited to select elected officials. You really can’t do mob diplomacy it ruins any good faith and relationship between the leaders.

The truly awful thing is the siding with Putin instead of the intelligence community. And many of the things said in that meeting were just pure lipservice. But interrogating the interpretor? Beyond the pale, poisons the well for any future negotiations with hostile powers
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch
    You're the kind of person that can't make the difference between "facts" and "far-righty rambling" but somehow you think you can legit talk like this. You're the Ben Shapiro of this forum
    Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    The US has made no official commitments to Russia,
    How do you know that? Cause no one else does.

And even an UNofficial commitment of "I won't stop you from doing anything you want" is... bad.

It doesn't have to be written on paper and signed to be an agreement.

You really can’t do mob diplomacy it ruins any good faith and relationship between the leaders.
    Not saying we change what was discussed. Unless, you know, it was treason.

Saying we need to know at least roughly what was discussed. In case, you know, it was treason. As LOTS AND LOTS of evidence is suggesting.

We don't need to know any back and forths or negotiations, that stuff can and should be behind closed doors. but we do need to know the RESULT. At the very least, our national security advisors need to know what was said. There need to be notes, a record, something, anything, or else Russia can say literally anything it wants.

Last time Trump and Putin had a private meeting Trump didn't let ANY american translators in the meeting. And when the russians were in the white house, no american media was allowed, only Russian. These things add up.

Literally the same thing happened with NK.
    Yes, and that's worked out so well. We conceded everything, got nothing, and they got years of propaganda material out of us and legitimacy, and they're still doing what they were doing anyway.

Because we have no idea what our president promised or agreed to.

Except that now he thinks Kim is a cool guy.
    Last edited by Robby; July 20th, 2018 at 07:00 AM.

Don’t forget the last time the Russians were in the room Trump accidentally (?) gave away top secret info about an Israeli spy.

21st Century Schizoid Man S.C. Amigo's Avatar

The thing that sucks is due to how easily it is to bend the system with money and political clout, none of the current Republican big-wigs will likely ever face justice for their treason. But the truth will come out when they are dead or really old and senile, and that has to make a dark cloud over the GOP, and coupled with the youth of today increasingly turning liberal may make things better in the decades to come.

King of the Monsters Lucky Dragon's Avatar

Looks like the relationship between the White House and U.S. diplomats continues to sour. In light of recent events.

Not immediately knocking down Putin's idea "makes our jobs harder and letting it run any further raises questions about the president's commitment to the security of his ambassadors," a senior serving U.S. diplomat said.

Some in the U.S. diplomatic community tried to give Trump and Sanders the benefit of the doubt, suggesting that perhaps they didn't know the contours of the sensitive issue.

"It is as though there is no understanding of international law and traditional practice nor any comprehension of why such things serve America's own national interests," said Ronald Neumann, president of the American Academy of Diplomacy.

Godzilla is the son of the atomic bomb. As long as the arrogance of mankind exists, Godzilla will survive.
    —Tomoyuki Tanaka

Part of me feels a little glee that the Cohen tapes have hit the news (especially as he goes on vacation). Part of me is sad it minimizes the Russia stuff. But a bigger part of me is upset it's further pushing family separation out of the news.

Feels like that's the one that still has to be the focus.

In other news, Ryan Zinke has proposed gutting the Endangered Species Act by a) removing public input, b) reducing government accountability, and c) reducing protections for threatened species.

So, fuck him.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday...07/20/day-547/

Day 547: Lordy, I hope there are tapes.

1/ Michael Cohen recorded a conversation with Trump two months before the presidential election discussing payments to Karen McDougal, the former Playboy model who said she had an affair with Trump. Prosecutors want to know if Cohen's efforts to limit negative stories about Trump during the campaign violated federal campaign finance laws. The FBI seized the recording during the raid on Cohen's office. Rudy Giuliani confirmed that Trump had discussed the payments with Cohen on the tape, but said the payment was ultimately never made. (New York Times)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/20/u...rump-tape.html

WTF Rewind: Four days before the 2016 election. The company that owns the National Enquirer paid McDougal $150,000 for her story about an with Trump affair a decade ago, but then didn't publish the story – effectively silencing McDougal for the remainder of the campaign. At the time, Hope Hicks said, "We have no knowledge of any of this" agreement, adding that McDougal's claim of an affair with Trump was "totally untrue." (Wall Street Journal)

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nationa...ion-1478309380

2/ The FBI reopened the Hillary Clinton email investigation 11 days before election because they were focused on investigating the Trump campaign's connections to Russia, according to the FBI's Inspector General report. In late September 2016, FBI agents learned about a new batch of Clinton emails from the laptop of former Congressman Anthony Weiner, who was under investigation for sexting a minor and was married at the time to Clinton aide Huma Abedin. The bureau was evidently overwhelmed with the urgency of the Trump-Russia investigation that management lapses and communication breakdowns caused a monthlong delay in looking into the new Clinton email. Nine days after announcing he was reopening the probe, James Comey said the FBI found nothing in the new email to change the original July decision against bringing charges. (The Intercept)

https://theintercept.com/2018/07/19/...ector-general/

3/ The Justice Department will alert American companies, private organizations, and individuals when they are being targeted by foreign actors attempting to affect elections or the political process. "Exposing schemes to the public is an important way to neutralize them," Rod Rosenstein said. "The American people have a right to know if foreign governments are targeting them with propaganda." (Washington Post / USA Today)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...lic/804021002/

4/ The Trump administration has reunited 364 of the 2,500+ children who were separated from their parents at the U.S.-Mexico border. The administration has a week left before the court-imposed deadline to reunite the families. Of the 1,607 parents eligible for reunification, 719 have received final orders of deportation, meaning they could be deported as soon as they are reunited with their children. (NBC News)

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/im...ildren-n893006

Notables.

Trump: "I'm ready to go to $500" billion in tariffs on Chinese goods. "I'm not doing this for politics, I'm doing this to do the right thing for our country," Trump claimed. "We have been ripped off by China for a long time." So far, the U.S. has imposed tariffs on $34 billion worth of Chinese products, to which China has responded with tariffs of their own. (CNBC)

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/19/trum...-chinese-.html

Starting August 1st, Americans can legally download plans for 3-D printable guns. These "ghost guns" don't have serial numbers and are untraceable. (CNN)

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/19/us/3d...rnd/index.html

A Russian company cited a decision by Trump's Supreme Court nominee arguing that the charges against the firm should be thrown out. The ruling by Brett Kavanaugh prohibited foreigners from contributing to candidates or political parties, but it did not rule out donations or expenditures on independent advocacy campaigns. Concord Management and Consulting is one of 16 Russian individuals or companies indicted by Robert Mueller. It paid $1.25 million a month to the Internet Research Agency to interferer with the 2016 election. (Washington Post)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.1743fc23b47e

Mitch McConnell threatened to delay Brett Kavanaugh's confirmation vote until just before the midterms to keep vulnerable red-state Democrats off the campaign trail if Democrats keep pushing for access to related documents. (Politico)

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...mocrats-734360

Scott Pruitt's staff tried to protect him from formaldehyde exposure while he was suppressing the release of a report on the health dangers from the same chemical. Staff at the EPA organized for Pruitt's new office desk to be air out in a warehouse so he wouldn't have to breathe in any of the carcinogenic chemical. (Politico)

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...yde-epa-698084

Week in Review:

Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein revealed indictments against 12 Russians for the hacks of the Democratic National Committee, and we learned that Russian hackers went after Hillary Clinton's private office for the first time on the very day Trump said, "Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you're able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing." At the NATO summit in Brussels, Trump attacked a close European ally—Germany—and generally questioned the value of the alliance. Next, he visited the United Kingdom and trashed Prime Minister Theresa May. Then, in Helsinki, he met with Vladimir Putin privately for two hours, with no U.S. officials present other than a translator. After this suspicious meeting, he sang the Russian strongman's praises at a news conference at which he said he viewed Putin’s denials on a par with the unanimous and unchallenged conclusions of America’s intelligence agencies. (Politico)

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...skeptic-219022

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

Dog does not approve. onemoment's Avatar

Trump is still complaining about NFL players on twitter. After all that's happened this week with Russia and the intelligence community. It's like this guy keeps finding ways to prove that he's an idiot who's in his own world, and will never change.

Oh, or he's trying to create a distraction again, but even then this is the wrong thing to use. It's just layers of dumb.
    Last edited by onemoment; July 20th, 2018 at 06:50 PM. Reason: I forgot about deflection.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information