+ Reply to Thread
Page 752 of 817 FirstFirst ... 252 652 702 742 750 751 752 753 754 762 802 ... LastLast
Results 15,021 to 15,040 of 16323

Thread: American Politics thread: No Nazis Allowed

21st Century Schizoid Man S.C. Amigo's Avatar

Default Re: American Politics thread: No Nazis Allowed

I'm a pretty peaceful person at heart, but if someone gripes about Trump and I learn they didn't vote, I feel it's fair to kick them in the genitals.

You don't vote on weekends? You don't issue free ids..

Its like you are tacking issues that any other country already thought and solved!
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Voting day should be a national holiday where nobody should have to worry about work schedule interfering with getting out the booths before they close or missing it entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post

Its like you are tacking issues that any other country already thought and solved!
    Hey, the GOP didn't make up a fake voter fraud crisis and ram through a bunch of Voter ID Laws just so people could turn around and vote.
    Complicating things since 2009.

The GOP is actively trying to make it harder to vote. They want their dedicated white person base voting, and none of the brown people, because if that happens they lose almost every single race.

It is also that you fall for the GOP narrative, you fight to let people vote indocumented instead of making it easier to obtain the documents.

Huh, only the commonweath and you guys seem to think that skipping ID is a good idea. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_Identification_laws

Well, a few more: Denmark, Australia, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom. In Ireland, Sweden, and Switzerland, poll workers reserve the right to request identification but are not required to do so.

Idunno, in venezuela this specific kind of voter fraud is rampant, as the goverment both issues and validates the IDs, so to me it seems insane for someone to want to make it easier to do.

It is not like you can pass the corrective laws if you don't get the "white" vote. Yeah, you have won a few seats more than usual, but you know what they say about cornered rats.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by S.C. Amigo View Post
    I'm a pretty peaceful person at heart, but if someone gripes about Trump and I learn they didn't vote, I feel it's fair to kick them in the genitals.

They deserve a slap, the people who voted for him and are now gobsmacked at their spouses getting deported or their bosses laying them off because of tariffs or other stuff related to his policies/rhetoric are the ones that need to be nutted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

Here, factory workers are allowed to leave, vote and come back to work, I just learned this during past elections we had one month ago.
    something is telling me, this is an unreachable dream in the U.S.

Huh, only the commonweath and you guys seem to think that skipping ID is a good idea. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_Identification_laws
    It's not as if someone could go to a polling place and just say they are somebody, they'd need SOME proof. A piece of mail or a library card or a credit card or something. There's SOME identiication. And lots of cities send out registration cards in advance to your adress, you take that the day of.

So its not a matter of we want complete lawless no id whatsoever. But requiring it to be full blown state id is a barrier for poorer, and browner, areas, and that is entirely intentional. Voter fraud might be rampant in Venezuela, but it's not in the US. Countless studies have shown this.

As the situation stands right now, having ids is a luxury that not everyone has, and laws requiring people to have them are almost entirely racially biased. There's only a tiny handful of actual examples of voter fraud,like 2 instances in a million, but the voter id laws kill hundreds of thousands, potentially millions, of people's ability to vote. Add in gerrymandering on top of that...

If we could actually get a solid working system that sent out valid ids, for free, to everyone, and made sure everyone over 18 was on voter rolls, maybe we'd have something. But that's not the system. And the US is too big to really function like that.

They're also trying to change a census question about if you're across the border illegally, and if that goes through it's going to drastically change the population rolls and funding and voting power for the next 10 years. That would be baaaad.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    Here, factory workers are allowed to leave, vote and come back to work, I just learned this during past elections we had one month ago.
    something is telling me, this is an unreachable dream in the U.S.
    It's not unreachable. It's just against the interests of the party currently in power.

Republicans, as the party is currently, can ONLY win elections by writing the rules and cheating. The republicans have lost the popular vote in 6 out of the last 7 elections and yet they've held the office 3 times and the house and senate far more....

A huge chunk of that is the electoral college system which gives far more weight to states with no population than they should have and its an all or nothing system on top of that. It doesn't just break presidential election but unbalances the other branches as well. California is 1/8 of the entire population, so it should have 12.5% of the votes.... but it only gets about 7%. It leads to things like Wyoming having 4 times as much voting power per person. It's really messed up.

Making it so states could split their votes instead of being all or nothing would radically change the map and break the giant swathes of red we always see... but it would also lead to no one knowing how or where to campaign, and for Texas to be a battleground. The entire map would be purple if it was allowed to be.
    Last edited by Robby; August 10th, 2018 at 02:20 AM.

I thought we had already established that the US cannot have an ID system cause then the republicans win.

The struggles of holding basic neccesities hostage in a two party system continues on.

It is also that you fall for the GOP narrative, you fight to let people vote indocumented instead of making it easier to obtain the documents.

Well, a few more: Denmark, Australia, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom. In Ireland, Sweden, and Switzerland, poll workers reserve the right to request identification but are not required to do so.

Idunno, in venezuela this specific kind of voter fraud is rampant, as the goverment both issues and validates the IDs, so to me it seems insane for someone to want to make it easier to do.

It is not like you can pass the corrective laws if you don't get the "white" vote. Yeah, you have won a few seats more than usual, but you know what they say about cornered rats.
    Strange that the law says it isn't strictly required since the process as i've always experienced it requires that you hand over your ID and the poll worker gives you your ballot and you get it back once you've returned your voting ballot. But since virtually everyone has some form of identification and on habit presents it i guess it doesn't really make up a noticable problem.

What part of "Republicans want to keep minorities from voting and voter ID laws are part and parcel of that" is so difficult to understand?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    What part of "Republicans want to keep minorities from voting and voter ID laws are part and parcel of that" is so difficult to understand?
    The idea of the DMV is difficult to understand for us outsiders.

That said, it's been explained dozens of times now and the same people keep acting obtuse about it.

You can't blame people for harping on about how it's possible to rig a system by implementing the most rudimentary of common sense measures. But as noted, it's not that we haven't heard ya explain that basic functions are being hijacked and/or exploited and you must deny yourselves them for political reasons, it's disbelief that such a chain of events ever came into being in the first place and that it cannot be broken due to the degree of which you can hold basic neccesities hostage in your political system. Like i get that you find it bothersome to hear the same thing again and again from us naive outsiders because this is the reality you live in where you have to barter and play hardball with a thing we take for granted, but as well you shouldn't be suprised that people just can't get over how strange this is. Like i said yeah we know you can't have it, you have explained yourselves, but i'll never stop marveling over how this is the united states of America we are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    The idea of the DMV is difficult to understand for us outsiders.
    Surely Europeans have a concept of Hell.

Is not like I get offended on how Venezuela got to be this incredible. And each time that I ask is because a new layer of shit gets revealed, not the old ones.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Well, America tries to pretend its the greatest country in the world and maybe that was debatabley true 30 or 50 years ago, but it's really, reeeeeally not now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    Surely Europeans have a concept of Hell.
    Waiting for the train?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

The irrevocable fear that their youth in their privilege will destroy everything for ignorance over true pain?
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by RedGreenBlue View Post
    Who needs polling places when everyone can just use their phone?

But what about the people who don't have smart phones?

Well, they should have thought about that before they decided to be dead weights on society
    I know your being sarcastic, but it hits a very interesting point. Not all people are into "high tech" (as I call modern digital items)and some others like to try to leave them in the dust.

I recently had an issue of this at my apartment complex. They recently changed the old washer/dryer units in the apartments. Problem is that the big wigs that own the apts decided to go for the fancy high tech units (gives them a cause to raise our rents to pay for it) I missed the flyer that told us about the system, so when I went down to wash a load and spent some time looking to how the world I was suppose to pay for it since it did not have a coin system to accept money. On the washer it supposedly 'gave directions' (they were crap) how to start it up, something about linking up to account or scan preloaded money-card. BUT there was no scanner down there either!

I had to talk to a neighbor to find out the new system needed a smart phone to use just to start the washer!
    I went to the office, they didn't have a method to the supposed 'scan a card', So I complained. Not everyone has smartphones, either not enough money to afford it or have no need for something so fancy. By buying so fancy of units ( I know not all units need such a system just to wahs our damn clothing!) they were discriminating against the poorer renters who cant afford to buy then pay monthly plans.
    It took them a month (and units were installed 2 weeks before that) to add a card reader as an alternative to smartphone system to start the washers, we still have to go to office to preload the cards but its better than a having to use a phone just to get clean clothes!

Yeah, it's not all that surprising that management left people in the dust like that. Sorry that you had to go through that, it's stupid and irresponsible of them, but really not that surprising.

I expect a lot of the same to happen if/when mobile voting becomes a thing.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information