+ Reply to Thread
Page 820 of 823 FirstFirst ... 320 720 770 810 818 819 820 821 822 ... LastLast
Results 16,381 to 16,400 of 16457

Thread: American Politics thread: No Nazis Allowed

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

Default Re: American Politics thread: No Nazis Allowed

Direct link to the tweet, for anyone who wants to see it at the source: https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/stat...084893184?s=19

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

Well, this is fairly surprising. Fox News calling out Trump on his bull crap.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0dbd06601649c

https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday...01/09/day-720/

Day 720: A total waste of time.
    1/ Trump abruptly walked out of a closed-door meeting about the partial government shutdown with congressional leaders. Sen. Chuck Schumer said Trump stood up and "just walked out of the meeting" after Nancy Pelosi said she wouldn't fund his border wall even if he ended the shutdown. Trump then confirmed Schumer's story in a tweet, calling the meeting "a total waste of time." He tweeted: "I asked what is going to happen in 30 days if I quickly open things up, are you going to approve Border Security which includes a Wall or Steel Barrier? Nancy said, NO. I said bye-bye, nothing else works!" (NBC News / BBC / CNN)

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/09/polit...ump/index.html

Trump once again warned that he might declare a national emergency in order to bypass Congress to build his border wall. "I have the absolute right to do national emergency if I want," Trump said when asked what he would do if he is unable to reach a deal with Democrats to fund the wall. (New York Times)

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/09/u...emergency.html

The Democratic response to last night's national address received slightly higher ratings than Trump's actual remarks. Trump's remarks scored a combined 28.1 in the preliminary numbers from Nielsen, while the Democratic response scored a 29.3 across the same networks. (The Hill)

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4...minary-ratings

2/ The Supreme Court refused to intervene in a mysterious case that is believed to involve Robert Mueller and an unidentified foreign-owned company. Mueller subpoenaed "Company A," as it is referred to in court documents, but the company insists it has immunity and that complying with a U.S. Grand Jury subpoena would violate the laws of its home country. The court offered no explanation as to why it declined to intervene in the case and many case details remain shrouded in secrecy. The company is believed to be a foreign financial institution. (Politico / Washington Post)

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...-fight-1088050

3/ A law firm that has represented both Russian interests and the Republican Party is involved in the mystery subpoena case between Robert Mueller and "Company A." The high-powered law firm Alston & Bird previous represented the Republican National Committee in an effort to obtain some of Hillary Clinton's emails. Alston & Bird also represented Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska, who loaned Paul Manafort $10 million. It is unclear whether Alston & Bird is currently representing "Company A," the country that owns "Company A," or the regulators of that country. (CNBC / CNN)

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/09/polit...ler/index.html

4/ The leaders of seven committees in the House of Representatives called on Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin to explain why the U.S. decided to ease sanctions against companies linked to Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska. The committee chairs wrote to Mnuchin and called on him to explain a December announcement that the United States will lift sanctions against three companies connected to Deripaska, including an aluminum manufacturing giant called Rusal. The move still keeps Deripaska on a blacklist of sanctioned oligarchs with close ties to the Kremlin, but Democrats say the deal allows Deripaska to maintain "significant ownership" of one of the companies. (Associated Press / Washington Post)

https://www.apnews.com/7eef88abcb51496390407796f2397800

Notables.

The Food & Drug Administration suspended routine inspections of the U.S. food supply because of the partial government shutdown. Most food safety inspections have been stopped, but the FDA is planning resume at least some of them if it can force furloughed workers to return to work without pay. "It’s not business as usual," said FDA Commissioner Dr. Scott Gottlieb, "and we are not doing all the things we would do under normal circumstances. There are important things we are not doing." (NBC News / Washington Post)

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...ctions-n956716

TSA officers have started quitting their jobs after being forced to work without pay during the shutdown. "Some of them have already quit and many are considering quitting the federal workforce because of this shutdown," said Hydrick Thomas, head of the American Federation of Government Employees' TSA Council. (Daily Beast)

https://www.thedailybeast.com/tsa-wo...ing-union-says

Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein will step down and leave the Justice Department after Mueller finishes his investigation. Rosenstein originally planned to remain as the deputy AG for about two years, and will remain on the job until after a new attorney general is confirmed. Trump nominated William Barr, who is scheduled to begin his confirmation hearing on Jan. 15. There has been no indication that Rosenstein is being forced out by the Trump administration. (ABC News / NBC News / Reuters / CNN)

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1P31AI

Roughly $5 million from Trump's farm bailout program will go to a Brazilian-owned meatpacking company. JBS is one of the largest meatpacking companies in the word and has roughly 73,000 employees and 44 plants in the U.S., but JBS is owned by a company based in San Paulo, Brazil. (Washington Post / The Hill)

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...ed-meatpacking

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

A bit of weird prescience:

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/stat...362048000?s=19

What the fresh hell. This is REAL. Filmed in 1958- about a conman who grifts a small town of suckers into building a wall. History not subtle enough for you? GUESS THE GRIFTER'S NAME
    (And watch until the end) https://t.co/6FA3p6KC00
    According to a reply, explaining the video in the tweet, "The show is called Trackdown, it ran on CBS in 1958, and the name of the episode is "The End of the World.""

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.

Test of steel prototype for border wall showed it could be sawed through
    A photo demonstrated that the steel columns could breached with a common industrial tool.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/imm...-sawed-n956856

Waldorf:

Daaaaaaaamn.

When a conservative is so loud with his racist bullshit that he even loses Ben Shapiro, you know he's fucked up something fierce.

Dude, you're supposed to dog whistle. This is racist politics 101.

I mean, maybe this will finally be the downfall of Steve King? So yay.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 • Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    "She" being Kamala Harris.

Sen. Kamala Harris has decided to seek the 2020 Democratic nomination for president, sources close to her told KCBS Radio. She'll announce her candidacy on or around Martin Luther King Day, probably at a campaign rally in Oakland, the sources said.

Waldorf:

Harris-O'Rourke is still my dream ticket. Go get 'em, girl.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday...01/10/day-721/

Day 721: Political stunts.

1/
    Mitch McConnell blocked two House-passed bills that would have ended the now-20-day-long government shutdown. McConnell refused to take up the Senate versions of bills advanced by the House to reopen the parts of the government that have been shut down since late last month. McConnell has said that he will not consider any bills related to the shutdown that he doesn't believe Trump would sign. He added: "Political stunts are not going to get us anywhere." (CNN / The Hill)

2/ The Pentagon has started preparing options to build a wall along the southern border in the event that Trump declares a national emergency. "The Department of Defense," said Navy Capt. Bill Speaks, "is reviewing available authorities and funding mechanisms to identify options to enable border barrier construction." Trump once again warned that he was considering using an emergency declaration if talks with Democrats ultimately fail to result in an agreement. "If this doesn’t work out, probably I will do it – I would almost say definitely," Trump said. "We have plenty of funds if there’s a national emergency." (USA Today / Reuters)
    3/ Michael Cohen agreed to voluntarily and publicly testify in front of the House Oversight Committee before he goes to prison next month. Trump's former personal attorney said he appreciates the opportunity "to give a full and credible account of the events that have transpired" during the time that he worked for Trump. Chairman Rep. Elijah Cummings said the committee is "in the process of consulting with Special Counsel Mueller’s office," and promised more information about the Feb. 7 hearing in the coming weeks. Cohen will also answer questions from lawmakers about the Russia investigation during a closed-door session before the committee "in the near future," according to Adam Schiff. (Washington Post / NBC News / New York Times / ABC News / CNN / The Hill)
    4/ Robert Mueller asked for information directly last year from one of Trump's campaign pollsters who also used to do business with Paul Manafort. Campaign pollster Tony Fabrizio was interviewed by Mueller's team in February 2018, a meeting that was previously unreported. The interview is even more significant in light of recent revelations that Mueller has been investigating how Manafort shared polling data with an associate who had ties to Russian intelligence. (CNN)
    • Day 719: Paul Manafort gave 2016 polling data to a former employee with ties to Russian intelligence services. The exchange was inadvertently revealed when Manafort's lawyers failed to fully redact Manafort's interview with Robert Mueller in a court filing. Manafort's attorneys meant for Mueller's line of questioning to remain private, but the text in question was easily readable when opened with a word processor. (Washington Post / CNBC / Daily Beast)

Notables.
    1. Scientists say the oceans are warming at a much faster rate than they thought. A new study published in the journal Science found that the oceans are heating up 40% faster on average than estimates by a U.N. panel published just five years ago. The rising temperatures are killing off marine wildlife and ecosystems and the rising sea levels are making hurricanes more destructive. As the oceans continue to heat up, the impacts of those effects will become catastrophic. (New York Times)
    2. Steve Mnuchin agreed to give a classified briefing to members of Congress about his decision to lift sanctions on companies linked to Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska. The briefing came after the chairs of seven House committees sent a letter to the Treasury Secretary and former Trump campaign finance chair demanding to know more about the decision. (NBC News)
    3. Trump canceled a trip to Davos for the World Economic Forum and blamed it on "the Democrats [sic] intransigence on Border Security and the great importance of Safety for our Nation." (New York Times)

Waldorf:

Howdy.

To recap: I’m a licensed structural and civil engineer with a MS in structural engineering from the top program in the nation and over a decade of experience on high-performance projects, and particularly of cleaning up design disasters where the factors weren’t properly accounted for, and I’m an adjunct professor of structural analysis and design at UH-Downtown. I have previously been deposed as an expert witness in matters regarding proper construction of walls and the various factors associated therein, and my testimony has passed Daubert.

Am I a wall expert? I am. I am literally a court-accepted expert on walls.

Structurally and civil engineering-wise, the border wall is not a feasible project. Trump did not hire engineers to design the thing. He solicited bids from contractors, not engineers. This means it’s not been designed by professionals. It’s a disaster of numerous types waiting to happen.

What disasters?

Off the top of my head...
    1) It will mess with our ability to drain land in flash flooding. Anything impeding the ability of water to get where it needs to go (doesn’t matter if there are holes in the wall or whatever) is going to dramatically increase the risk of flooding.
    2) Messes with all kind of stuff ecologically. For all other projects, we have to do an Environmental Site Assessment, which is arduous. They’re either planning to circumvent all this, or they haven’t accounted for it yet, because that’s part of the design process, and this thing hasn’t been designed.
    3) The prototypes they came up with are nearly impossible to build or don’t actually do the job. This article explains more:

https://www.google.com/…/mobile.engi...amp/17599.html

And so on.

The estimates provided for the cost are arrived at unreasonably. You can look for yourself at the two-year-old estimate that you see everyone citing.

http://fronterasdesk.org/…/Bernstein...20Wall.…

It does not account for rework, complexities beyond the prototype design, factors to prevent flood and environmental hazard creation, engineering redesign... It’s going to be higher than $50bn. The contractors will hit the government with near CONSTANT change orders. “Cost overrun” will be the name of the game. It will not be completed in Trump’s lifetime.

I’m a structural forensicist, which means I’m called in when things go wrong. This is a project that WILL go wrong. When projects go wrong, the original estimates are just *obliterated*. And when that happens, good luck getting it fixed, because there aren’t that many forensicists out there to right the ship, particularly not that are willing to work on a border wall project— a large quotient of us are immigrants, and besides, we can’t afford to bid on jobs that are this political. We’re small firms, and we’re already busy, and we don’t gamble our reputations on political footballs. So you’d end up with a revolving door of contractors making a giant, uncoordinated muddle of things, and it’d generally be a mess. Good money after bad. The GAO agrees with me.

And it won’t be effective. I could, right now, purchase a 32 foot extension ladder and weld a cheap custom saddle for the top of the proposed wall so that I can get over it. I don’t know who they talked to about the wall design and its efficacy, but it sure as heck wasn’t anybody with any engineering imagination.

Another thing: we are not far from the day where inexpensive drones will be able to pick up and carry someone. This will happen in the next ten years, and it’s folly to think that the coyotes who ferry people over the border won’t purchase or create them. They’re low enough, quiet enough, and small enough to quickly zip people over any wall we could build undetected with our current monitoring setup.

Let’s have border security, by all means, but let’s be smart about it. This is not smart. It’s not effective. It’s NOT cheap. The returns will be diminishing as technology advances, too. This is a ridiculous idea that will never be successfully executed and, as such, would be a monumental waste of money. ����*♀️

This is set to public. Have a blast sharing it.
    . .
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

^Adding to that...

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Another thing: we are not far from the day where inexpensive drones will be able to pick up and carry someone. This will happen in the next ten years,
    Drones will eventually let us fly?
    I can't wait!!

Although I could foresee a lot of death/injury from falling or crashing into stuff if people aren't careful!

---------------------------------[Youtube]-[Patreon]-[Twitter]---------------------------------

I'd be ok if Drones just carried my stuff and delivered to me when I arrive after train conmute.

Like my lunch. Or a Gym bag (If I were to adult and do excercise).
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by sgamer82 View Post

1/ Mitch McConnell blocked two House-passed bills that would have ended the now-20-day-long government shutdown. McConnell refused to take up the Senate versions of bills advanced by the House to reopen the parts of the government that have been shut down since late last month. McConnell has said that he will not consider any bills related to the shutdown that he doesn't believe Trump would sign. He added: "Political stunts are not going to get us anywhere." (CNN / The Hill)
    Says the man doing political stunts...

Quote Originally Posted by MDL View Post
    Drones will eventually let us fly?
    I can't wait!!
    Heavy lifter drones can already carry 500 pounds, so they can do it *now*.

And they're working on duper deluxe models that can lift 1,700 pounds, almost a ton. (Even the generic mass market Amazon version can carry 40 pounds.) Those are designed for cargo, and not really designed for carrying people for extended distances, but they'll certainly be able to handle lifting 200 pounds up for minute, forward over a wall, and then back down.
    Last edited by Robby; January 11th, 2019 at 12:23 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

this would usually be the time where I yet again ponder "the fuck they have on Lindsey Graham?" but I'm increasingly inclined to think he's nothing less than a remora to those in prestigious political positions, adopting their tactics and policies with no personal investment

disappointing

Graham was always bad and a media whore. He was in charge of the judiciary committee and use that position to lead the impeachment against Bill Clinton.

He's always been awful but, yeah, they almost certainly have some major dirt on him. Likely gay-related since those rumors have been flying around for years and that's the single biggest thing that would instantly discredit Graham with his base. Being corrupt obviously wouldn't do it.
    Complicating things since 2009.

So Sherrod Brown and Tulsi Gabbard have thrown their hats in for 2020.

These are both bad ideas, because Brown is a great senator holding a strategically important seat that we may not win back and Gabbard is an awful person who commands the loyalty of a certain subsection of the American left for some reason.

"Gay-Hatin'" Tulsi "Assad isn't that bad, guys" Gabbard probably won't make it very far

Set Art by Daily Rowlet

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information