+ Reply to Thread
Page 927 of 935 FirstFirst ... 427 827 877 917 925 926 927 928 929 ... LastLast
Results 18,521 to 18,540 of 18689

Thread: American Politics thread: No Nazis Allowed

Default Re: American Politics thread: No Nazis Allowed

Buttigieg enjoys Paul Ryan syndrome, where he’s a young white guy and therefore enjoys a lot of media stories about how smart he is, but is actually a fucking idiot (see: the recent ad about free tuition which could’ve come straight from the Kochs).

Quote Originally Posted by Medical Orbit View Post
    I remember reading that he intentionally got arrested again just after he got out because according to him finding booty was easier in prison.

I'm not sure if this is true because I don't remember where I read it.
    He definitely got paroled and he's definitely back in prison. I keep tabs because I live in Kentucky and I have to protect my butt.

But that can't be, Pete Bootyjudge is running for president.

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    He definitely got paroled and he's definitely back in prison. I keep tabs because I live in Kentucky and I have to protect my butt.
    I just don't know why i kept thinking you were eastern european.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    I just don't know why i kept thinking you were eastern european.
    Not sure how I could have given you that impression, but it's a hilarious thought. I'm so far ethnically and geographically from Eastern Europe.

Power of a hippo! Kaba Kaba Fruit's Avatar

And once again, the media needs to patronize the viewing audience on what they should be thinking about their presidential candidates.

On the topic of the media, here's an analysis of MSNBC, second largest cable news organizaton after Fox and most influential for democratic voters. They compare amount of coverage and positivity/negativity of it between Biden, Bernie and Warren. It's an interesting read and doesn't make MSNBC on the whole look good. This magazine has a progressive slant but the analysis seems factual and I recommend a read.

A shorter one from Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting. Pretty disgusting stuff.
    Last edited by DoctorPhil; December 2nd, 2019 at 05:19 AM.

Pretty much everyone here knows MSNBC isn't really on the whole left leaning given they gave/give people like Pat Buchanan and Joe Scarborough platforms for year,
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorPhil View Post
    On the topic of the media, here's an analysis of MSNBC, second largest cable news organizaton after Fox and most influential for democratic voters. They compare amount of coverage and positivity/negativity of it between Biden, Bernie and Warren. It's an interesting read and doesn't make MSNBC on the whole look good. This magazine has a progressive slant but the analysis seems factual and I recommend a read.

A shorter one from Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting. Pretty disgusting stuff.
    A bit misleading with a clear Bernie slant. The first article briefly mentions that Sanders had positive coverage on four of the six shows they looked at before focusing on the two that were very negative. It skips right over the point that Sanders's coverage on those four more-positive shows was more positive than Biden's on them. They're using two large outliers to paint the picture they want and ignoring the biases that come from each host.

Also, Bernie gets less coverage because he's old news from the last election, there aren't many major stories about him, and his poll numbers are pretty static. The media isn't really ignoring him, they're bored because nothing new is happening there.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

Default What The Fuck Just Happened Today? Day 1047: Entirely prudent.

https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday...2/02/day-1047/

Day 1047: Entirely prudent.

1/ The White House will not participate in the Judiciary Committee's first impeachment hearing on Wednesday. In a letter to Chairman Jerry Nadler, White House counsel Pat Cipollone called the inquiry "baseless" and "partisan," and that "all" of Trump's due process rights had been violated by the impeachment inquiry. Cipollone did not rule out the possibility that the White House would participate in future proceedings. The White House has a Friday deadline to decide whether or not Trump will offer a defense as part of the broader impeachment proceedings. (Politico / CNN / NBC News / Washington Post / Reuters / ABC News)
    2/ The House Intelligence Committee will circulate its report on Trump's efforts to pressure Ukraine to launch investigations into his political rivals. Lawmakers will have 24 hours to review the report before a vote on Tuesday over whether to pass the impeachment inquiry over to the Judiciary Committee. The panel is expected to approve the findings on a party-line vote. The Judiciary Committee, which will begin scheduled impeachment hearings on Wednesday, is expected to then draft and vote on articles of impeachment around the second week of December with a full House vote before the Christmas recess. (Politico / NBC News)
    3/ House Republicans prepared their own report, which claims Trump did "nothing wrong" and committed "no quid pro quo, bribery, extortion, or abuse of power." The 123-page rebuttal report claims Trump was acting on "genuine and reasonable" skepticism of Ukraine and had "valid" concerns about corruption not political self-interest when he pressured Ukraine to open investigations to benefit his 2020 re-election bid by withholding nearly $400 million in security assistance and a White House meeting. Republicans called the move "entirely prudent." The report, however, does not acknowledge any wrongdoing surrounding the core allegations in the impeachment inquiry and ignores or downplays testimony from career officials who raised serious questions and concerns about the conduct of Trump and his top aides. (New York Times / CNN / Daily Beast / Axios / Wall Street Journal)
    poll/ 53% of Republicans think Trump is a better leader than Lincoln; 47% said Lincoln was a better leader. Overall, 75% of Americans believe Lincoln was a better leader than Trump. (The Hill / Economist/YouGov)

Notables.

1. The Trump administration released $105 million in military assistance to Lebanon after months of unexplained delays. The Office of Management and Budget has been holding the funds since September despite congressional approval. The White House has not explained the delay. (Associated Press)
    2. The Trump administration's changes to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program could cause millions to lose food stamps. Three proposed rule changes to SNAP by the Department of Agriculture would create stricter work requirements for eligibility, cap deductions, and "reform" the way 40 states automatically enroll families. According to a study by the Urban Institute, 3.7 million fewer people would receive SNAP in an average month, 2.2 million households would see their average monthly benefits drop by $127, more than 3 million others would see an average drop of $37 per month, and 982,000 students would lose access to free or reduced lunches. (NBC News)
    3. Trump called for a cease-fire between the Taliban and U.S. forces in Afghanistan during an unannounced Thanksgiving visit with U.S. troops overseas. Trump told troops that the Taliban "wants to make a deal" and that "we're saying it has to be a cease-fire." Trump claimed that he has made "tremendous progress" since he abruptly canceled his previous peace talks with the Taliban in September. Afghan President Ashraf Ghani, however, indicated that a cease-fire wasn't in progress or even part of the discussion with U.S. negotiators. Western diplomats and Taliban leaders were also confused by Trump's remarks, since demanding a cease-fire would constitute a shift in the U.S. position and would require additional concessions from the Taliban. (New York Times / Washington Post / Politico / NBC News / Associated Press)
    4. The Trump administration indefinitely detained a Palestinian man by citing an obscure provision in the PATRIOT Act. After serving 15 years in federal prison, Adham Amin Hassoun was taken into custody by ICE and detained in New York while he awaited deportation. After no country would accept him, the Trump administration declared Hassoun a threat to national security under section 412 of the PATRIOT Act, which permits indefinite detention of resident aliens on national security grounds. It's the first time the government has invoked Section 412. (Daily Beast)
    5. The Trump administration moved to reduce its contributions to NATO. Previously, the U.S. provided about 22% of NATO's direct funding, but the Trump administration plans to now reduce its contribution to about 16%. The U.S. expects other NATO members to make up the shortfall. (CNN)
    6. Trump announced tariffs on steel and aluminum from Brazil and Argentina, accusing the two countries of manipulating their currencies to hurt American farmers. (New York Times / Washington Post / Wall Street Journal)
    7. The Trump administration proposed tariffs on roughly $2.4 billion in French products after a five-month investigation that concluded that a French digital services tax discriminated against American Internet companies, like Google, Apple, Facebook, and Amazon. Robert Lighthizer, Trump's chief negotiator, proposed "additional duties of up to 100% on certain French products," including cheese, yogurt, sparkling wine, and makeup. (Bloomberg / Washington Post)
    8. Trump's 2020 campaign won't credential reporters from Bloomberg News to cover Trump campaign events after the company said it wouldn't investigate Democratic 2020 candidates while Mike Bloomberg the owner was in the race. (Wall Street Journal / Axios)

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

Default Re: What The Fuck Just Happened Today? Day 1047: Entirely prudent.

Quote Originally Posted by sgamer82 View Post
    Ugh...
    I wanted to comment on one of those stories...but all of them are some level of horrible or stupid. It's probably not the first time it's happened in this administration, but this is a bizarre list of dumb moves that will either hurt Trump himself and accomplish nothing, while doing a lot of collateral damage along the way.

53% of Republicans think Trump is a better leader than Lincoln
    Jesus....

Trump announced tariffs on steel and aluminum from Brazil and Argentina, accusing the two countries of manipulating their currencies to hurt American farmers
    Fun fact: Bolsonaro is not seeing this as a retaliation.

Harris is dropping out.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Sweet Home Chicago Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    Harris is dropping out.
    God, I wish her campaign got off the ground more.

No surprise Harris is dropping out, her messaging was a mess. She'd make a decent VP pick but doesn't bring any particular swing state votes though. Better luck in eight years?

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

A little more time in the Senate should give her the experience to give her an oomf next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    No surprise Harris is dropping out, her messaging was a mess. She'd make a decent VP pick but doesn't bring any particular swing state votes though. Better luck in eight years?
    4 Years actually.

But I am glad about this. Harris has a history of being pro-cop and Anti-Trans so I'm happy she's gone.

Honestly, everyone but Biden, Warren, Sanders and MAYBE Buttigieg need to drop out. Having a 15 person clown car is what split the vote too much on the GOP end and got Trump the nomination.

The longer the field is this wide open the more intra-Party tribalism will form. That's already the major thing that's going to hand this to Trump. If we want to have ANY chance of preventing that, we need to narrow the field.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel[/CENTER]

It'd be nice if the Russian agent stopped running, but Tulsi has every reason to keep going despite awful poll numbers.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Kamala certainly would've fared better in debates against Trump than Biden and Buttigeig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    God, I wish her campaign got off the ground more.
    What did you like about her policies?

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    It'd be nice if the Russian agent stopped running, but Tulsi has every reason to keep going despite awful poll numbers.
    There are plenty of legitimate criticisms against her but parroting this russian agent nonsense, really? A soldier who has seen the pointless loss of life in all these endless wars can be against them without being a Putin puppet you know. Unless you were being hyperbolic but loads of people are unironically being called Putin puppets these days.

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorPhil View Post

There are plenty of legitimate criticisms against her but parroting this russian agent nonsense, really? A soldier who has seen the pointless loss of life in all these endless wars can be against them without being a Putin puppet you know. Unless you were being hyperbolic but loads of people are unironically being called Putin puppets these days.
    That might be true generally, but probably not of Tulsi Gabbard particularly. I haven't followed her enough to know specifics off the top of my head, but I recall stories early in Trump's term and investigations that mentioned Gabbard photographing with or otherwise being supportive of Russians and Russian subordinates and that at least some of her social media support comes from Russian troll farms.

She may not be a Russian agent, but she's at least a Russian pawn.

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information