Love and Loathe #10
Here's what you loved about Bellamy
Favorite Comment goes to Kaido King of the beasts
- The Perfect Douche - As a villain Bellamy pulled it off perfectly. You loved to hate him, and the punch remains a fan-favorite moment for a reason.
- The Perfect Punch - Though most people would like to see more of Bellamy's powers, few would like his first fight with Luffy to go down any other way. It's an incredibly satisfying moment.
- He's back! - Nobody expected Bellamy of all people to show up again. Having gone through his own time-skip and become quite strong he became one of the more interesting characters of the arc. And though it ended up a disaster, some of you still look forward to his next appearance.
- Loyal till the End - Though there were some disagreements, and the road there was less liked, most people gave Bellamy some respect for realizing he made a terrible choice following Doffy but then accepting it and sticking with it till the bitter end.
"When he was first introduced, Bellamy was the guy you loved to hate, done right. I absolutely despised the guy and felt amazing once he finally got his comeuppance at Luffy's hands, which speaks to how well he was developed.
Had his story ended at Doflamingo's hands, he might have been a nice little side character, but with nothing much to remember. But boy, when he came back in Dressrosa, I actually found myself stoked, and that was because he came back a different person. He may not have given up all of his old ways, but it was evident that he learned from his experiences. So while we still got some big personality out of him, we also got to see the results of his two-year timeskip. He may not have won Block B, but he did win my heart back.
Even though I do share some of the opinions that his role in the later part of the arc was weaker (which I will address later), I could still get behind his reaction to Doflamingo throwing him away and the pride that prevented him from turning on Doffy despite this. It was a nice break from the trope of a guy turning on his master after the master throws him away, which can sometimes get rather overdone."
Here's what you loathed about Bellamy
Favorite Comment goes to Daz
- We're all friends now! - For being a massive asshole in the past and doing something to the Skypieans which was never elaborated on, Luffy befriended him way too fast.
- Ridiculous Loyalty - Apparently being a fan of someone is enough to keep fighting for them even after they sent an assassin after you. There was never a good reason for Bellamy to be so loyal to Doffy. And then when he realized Doflamingo's true nature he still sticks with his choice because of 'pride'. That moment might've charmed some, but for others it was the highlight of Bellamy's stupidity.
- The Forgotten Character - Dressrosa was packed with characters and Bellamy took the brunt of the chaos that followed. He never got a chance to actually do something worthwhile. Oh, he can kill Luffy to become a member of Doffy's family? Let's send Dellinger to assassinate him before he even gets the chance! What was even the point?
- No Conclusion - Doffy's defeated and Bellamy leaves in one flashback panel. We didn't even learn what he thought of Doffy's defeat. It's like Oda got bored with him.
"If Mr 2 and Mr 3 are examples of re-introducing a character with success, Bellamy is the exact opposite. To put it bluntly, Bellamy in Dressrosa plain doesn’t work, and it feels like he was reeled in simply because he had a connection with Doflamingo in a previous arc. His role could’ve worked if about 5 of the other Dressrosa plotlines had been axed, but as is, Bellamys subplot is possibly the most clear example of the arcs haphazard nature, like with the “kill Luffy!” plotpoint that goes nowhere, because Dellinger stops Bellamy just before he’s about to go kill Luffy.
Then, Doflamingo. Now theres no problem with depicting abusive relationships in fiction, and that’s absolutely what this is. But when every single interaction between Doffy and Bellamy involves the latter getting fucked over and left for dead, you need a good reason for Bellamys continued admiration. And the micro-flashback of “Wowie its Doflamingo! I’m a big fan, can I join you?” “Whatever” is not enough. In the context of Jaya you don’t need anything except “Bellamy is a Doffy fan, Doffy doesn’t give a shit oh snap”, but when you make it an emotional centerpiece of an arc, you need more. Why does Bellamy think Doffy in particular is so great? We don’t know. Again, something good could’ve come of this by contrasting him to Bartolomeo or Law, or playing up that he doesn’t understand Doffys true World Destroying desires, but this never happens.
So in the end, when Luffy fights Bellamy, we don’t really buy the supposed friendship, and we don’t buy Bellamys unquestioning devotion, and Bellamy comes across as the worlds biggest, dumbest cockhead. At this point he knows Doflamingo is terrible and does not, and will not, ever care about Bellamy – and yet he still obstructs the efforts to stop the genocidal maniac! Because “”pride””. That’s not a fucking valid reason! Theres nothing admirable about Pride in and of itself! Its having Pride in your Pride! Like, If you found out the leaders you admired were literal sadistic Nazis, and you kept fighting for them anyway for no other reason than “it would not be honorable to leave just because they turned out to be monsters”, then guess what, you’re a complete moron. I guess you can make the case that Bellamy is supposed to come across as pathetic, but then you also have that line from Luffy about "being a man", so ehh.
~~ RANKINGS: Character ~~
~~ RANKINGS: Design ~~
- Galdino (4.42)
- Rosinante (4.13)
- Zoro (4.11)
- Jabra (3.78)
- Carue (3.75)
- Smoker (3.71)
- Caesar (3.10)
- Conis (2.56)
- Bellamy (2.44)
- Alvida (1.94)
- Rosinante (4.44)
- Caesar (4.28)
- Jabra (4.07)
- Carue (3.90)
- Galdino (3.88)
- Smoker (3.73)
- Zoro (3.40)
- Alvida (2.89)
- Conis (2.63)
- Bellamy (2.33)
And with that, let's present the 11th Character!
I want to know your the secret of your youth!
To get the whole picture, please tell us the following:
What are the things that you love
What are the things that you loathe
At the end please give Kureha two ratings:
One for her character & actions in the story.
One for her look & design.
These must be between 1 and 5, with 5 being the highest (.5's are acceptable - ex. 1.5 or 4.5).
This analysis will be open for the next 72 hours.
Missed the previous character? You can still comment on them and the points will be counted. But only the previous character.