Love and Loathe #18
Here's what you loved about Arlong
Favorite Comment goes to Rocko 52
- Great Villain - Arlong was an excellent and memorable villain. He was a step above his predecessors, and even those who came after struggle to stand on his level.
- Fearsome - This guy is terrifying. He's insanely strong and intelligent, and efficient enough to put his plans into action. Throughout the entire arc you could feel his presence and the danger he represented. Oh, and he ruined Nami's life.
- Camaraderie - In stark contrast, he actually cares for his men. This made him unique among villains and gave us a glimpse into the discrimination between humans and fish-folk. It also provided a great contrast to Hody.
- Luffy vs Arlong - This was one guy you wanted to see get his ass kicked. Luffy vs Arlong was a great and immensely satisfying fight that still holds up today. A true classic moment of One Piece.
"We knew right from the get-go that Arlong was on a different level. From Nami's reaction to his poster, to the true opening of the arc where Arlong bribing Nezumi & his cynical conversation with his men after, to his established dominion of the island. All these moments immediately establish his nature. He's menacing and powerful, but also calculating, intelligent, and money-hungry. His elaborate and indulgent headquarters display his confidence and ambition. He was the first villain who was a serious force & opposition. Buggy was an egotistical but jealous wannabe scraping by via assaulting middle-of-nowhere villages, Kuro was a tired old opportunistic tactician looking for a way out, Krieg was just returning from a crushing defeat on the Grand Line. All the others to some degree were already beaten down and no match for Luffy's drive and ambition. Along comes Arlong, a (fish)-man driven by hatred and powerlust. Unlike the others, he has a successful operation set-up to expand, he's not merely confident but with plans and means to back them. In a lot of ways Arlong feels like the first truly active villain. While the others all had goals, they were seriously lacking in either ambition or force to back up those dreams. We have our first villain who lives up to Luffy's force and is his first big obstacle. Just the set-up sells this whole battle as a clash of ideals and ambitions, something Oda had always alluded to early on."
Here's what you loathed about Arlong
Favorite Comment goes to Lucky Dragon
- Shallow - Arlong is a great character, but only because of those around him. On his own there isn't much to him.
"The strength of his character lies in what he's able to bring out in others. He doesn't actually need to be present in the story to make use of him in that way. As a character himself he's a shallow one trick pony"
With 7 votes, Arlong got:
~~ RANKINGS: Character ~~
~~ RANKINGS: Design ~~
- Galdino (4.42)
- Kureha (4.29)
- Arlong (4.14 - 7 votes)
- Rosinante (4.13)
- Zoro (4.11)
- Wanze (3.87 - 6 votes) - 0.09
- Jabra (3.78)
- Carue (3.75)
- Smoker (3.71)
- Robin (3.54)
- Gecko Moria (3.21 - 12 votes)
- Caesar (3.10)
- Conis (2.56)
- Bellamy (2.50)
- Ohm (2.32)
- Alvida (1.94)
- Vander Decken IX (1.50 - 9 votes)
- Rosinante (4.44)
- Arlong (4.29 - 7 votes) TIE!
- Kureha (4.29) TIE!
- Caesar (4.28)
- Jabra (4.07)
- Carue (3.90)
- Galdino (3.88)
- Gecko Moria (3.75 - 12 votes)
- Smoker (3.73)
- Wanze (3.69 - 8 Votes) - 0.02
- Zoro (3.40)
- Robin (3.35)
- Vander Decken IX (3.00 - 9 votes)
- Alvida (2.89)
- Conis (2.63)
- Ohm (2.59)
- Bellamy (2.30)
And with that, let's present the 19th Character!
I bet nobody anticipated it'd be Ivankov... NOT!
To get the whole picture, please tell us the following:
What are the things that you love
What are the things that you loathe
At the end please give Ivankov two ratings:
One for his character & actions in the story.
One for his look & design.
These must be between 1 and 5, with 5 being the highest (.5's are acceptable - ex. 1.5 or 4.5).
This analysis will be open for the next 72 hours.
Missed the previous character? You can still comment on them and the points will be counted. But only the previous character.