+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Thread: Love and Loathe 2: Return of the Analysis

Default Re: Love and Loathe 2: Return of the Analysis

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    I am loving all of this Foxy love. We need to see him again post-timeskip.
    Well, I don't need it.
    Spoiler:
    Original Stories:
    Hybrid
    Four Swords

Tired. Everything is hot. Foxy Evaluation suspended to tomorrow. And here's the hint.

I hope she becomes a wonderful doctor.

16 chars of Kaya, duh

Kaya is my main guess as well, but I'll venture Tristan.

Spoiler:

Foxy

Love:
    The one volume we get of Foxy is a non-stop good time, and most of that is due to the man himself. There are just so many comedy moments throughout the arc, and I can laugh at every one of them. From his blatant attempts at cheating to his smaller attempts to just confuse Luffy for a momentary advantage, it's just so much fun to watch. Add to this his Slow-Slow powers, an ability deadly and stupidly broken in any other hands, which he uses for his primary purpose of setting up the next gag.

His design is also quite memorable, primarily for being Count Chocula in pink. And this design lends itself to fantastic and unique facial expressions. His pointy head also deserves a mention, if only for him to mope about it.

However, the single greatest part of Foxy is how he interacts with the Straw Hats. His cartoonishly evil actions elicit hilarious and varied reactions from most of the crew. Also notable is that the Straw Hats quite often rebuke him with their own zingers, and his inability to take even humorous criticism shines through each time. It's like the whole arc is Foxy and the Straw Hats trying to one-up each other on who has the best gags.

Finally, it is important to note that he does not outstay his welcome (especially in manga). He's around for a short arc, everyone has a good time, and then he's gone. Maybe we'll see him again, maybe not, but we'll always be able to revisit the Davy Back Fight and it's memorable antagonist.

Loathe:
    So, he's hosting this super fun time Davy Back Fight, and an unfortunate old woman is on her deathbed. Of course, Foxy is nowhere to be found. How heartless!

Rating:
    Character: 4.5/5 - He's good comedy, and a great bridge between Skypeia and Water 7.

Design: 4.5/5 - Fun and memorable. It fits him perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lao G View Post
    16 chars of Kaya, duh
    Yeah that wasn't the best hint Your turn to decide!

Love and Loathe #25

Foxy

Here's what you loved about Foxy
    1. Comedy Gold - The entire Davy Back Fight was hilarious and Foxy was the best part of it. From his interactions with the Strawhats to his willingness to cheat, there's never a dull moment.
    2. When the power-level is just right - He's dangerous enough to be taken seriously, but not so much it detracts from the hilarity. This goes for his fruit as well. He's clearly creative and makes use of the fruit well, but a more dangerous foe could make it far more terrifying.
    3. Great Minor Antagonist - All of this makes him work extremely well as a minor antagonist. He's charming and charistmatic enough, and in the end...
    4. He didn't Overstay his Welcome - Foxy gave us a break from all the seriousness and left just at the right time.
    Favorite Comment goes to Kaido King of the Beasts
    "Foxy fulfilled his role very, very well. He was inherently wacky and a bit silly, but he was not a joke. He wasn't some big arc villain that went down in a titanic struggle, but was skilled enough to justify his presence and relative notoriety in the Grand Line. The balance achieved here was perfect to me; he managed to be both a light-hearted figure but also an actual presence that ultimately made him satisfying to finally defeat, making us actually care about the events of the Davy Back Fight arc. His power is also really cool and had plenty of potential, which was executed reasonably well given Foxy's overall status in the Grand Line. Plus, Foxy not overstaying his welcome by only appearing in one arc is a big plus, though I wouldn't mind seeing a cover story of him at all (granted this is unfortunately far from true for anime-only watchers lol)"

Here's what you loathed about Foxy
    1. God Complexes, Government Conspiracies and Silly Games - The placement of the Davy Back Fight was a little awkward.
    2. Shallow Fox - Unlike someone like Buggy there isn't much to Foxy.
    Favorite Comment goes to Batoma
    "So, he's hosting this super fun time Davy Back Fight, and an unfortunate old woman is on her deathbed. Of course, Foxy is nowhere to be found. How heartless!"

With 8 votes, Foxy got...
    Character/Actions
    : 3,87
    Design: 3.69

~~ RANKINGS: Character ~~
    1. Galdino (4.42)
    2. Kureha (4.29)
    3. Vivi (4.27 - 15 Votes)
    4. Rosinante (4.13)
    5. Arlong (4.11 - 9 votes)
    6. Zoro (4.11)
    7. Foxy (3.87 - 8 votes) - This is a ridiculously fitting tie
    8. Wanze (3.87 - 8 votes)
    9. Perona (3.82 - 9 votes)
    10. Jabra (3.78)
    11. Carue (3.75)
    12. Smoker (3.71)
    13. Robin (3.54)
    14. Rayleigh (3.50 - 7 votes)
    15. Ivankov (3.25 - 6 Votes)
    16. Gecko Moria (3.21 - 12 votes)
    17. Wiper (3.19 - 9 votes)
    18. Caesar (3.10)
    19. Conis (2.56)
    20. Bellamy (2.50)
    21. Ohm (2.32)
    22. Trebol (2.21 - 7 Votes)
    23. Alvida (1.94)
    24. Vander Decken IX (1.50 - 9 votes)
    ~~ RANKINGS: Design ~~
    1. Rosinante (4.44)
    2. Perona (4.39 - 9 Votes)
    3. Kureha (4.29)
    4. Caesar (4.28)
    5. Arlong (4.22 - 7 votes)
    6. Rayleigh (4.07 - 6 votes)
    7. Jabra (4.07)
    8. Carue (3.90)
    9. Galdino (3.88)
    10. Wiper (3.87 - 9 votes)
    11. Gecko Moria (3.75 - 12 votes)
    12. Smoker (3.73)
    13. Foxy (3.69 - 8 votes) - Jesus Christ
    14. Wanze (3.69 - 8 Votes)
    15. Ivankov (3.42 - 6 Votes)
    16. Zoro (3.40)
    17. Trebol (3.36 - 7 votes)
    18. Robin (3.35)
    19. Vander Decken IX (3.00 - 9 votes)
    20. Vivi (2.94 - 15 votes)
    21. Alvida (2.89)
    22. Conis (2.63)
    23. Ohm (2.59)
    24. Bellamy (2.30)

And with that, let's present the 26th Character!
    Thank you for Merry!

Kaya

To get the whole picture, please tell us the following:

What are the things that you love about Kaya?
    What are the things that you loathe about Kaya?

At the end please give Kaya two ratings:

One for her character & actions in the story.
    One for her look & design.

These must be between 1 and 5, with 5 being the highest (.5's are acceptable - ex. 1.5 or 4.5).

This analysis will be open for the next 72 hours.

Missed the previous character? You can still comment on them and the points will be counted. But only the previous character.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Zar; May 19th, 2017 at 03:21 PM.

Love and Loathe: There is really nothing to Kaya, either positive or negative. She is as developed as a background character and any other could replace her, she didn't even needed a name. I honestly can't see her as an actual character, but more like a plot device.

Character: 1/5
    Design: 1/5

FC 0147-0584-2654

one day i'll get favorite comment again

Love: Well, I suppose for being someone wealthy and better off, Kaya is very friendly and had no qualms with being friends with the son of a pirate. Her friendship with him is cute.

We get some emotional moments such as her responding to Kuro's betrayal (and to her credit, she tries pulling a gun on him first).

And best of all, well, she has a dream - to be a doctor, in spite of her poor health in the beginning of the series and her parents succumbing to illness. And even in a fantasy world, a doctor is a goal i have to respect.

Usopp/Kaya is the closest thing we'll get to a Straw Hat romance.

Loathe: not really loathe but she has a plain design, a curse of being a female in the earlier volumes. And most of her story is connected to Syrup Village, one of the shorter and less revered arcs in the series, so she can easily fade into the background.

That being said I really forward to her reunion with Usopp at the end of the series.

Character 3/5
    Design 2/5

I should make a list of all the favorite comments. I feel like I'm choosing the same 5-6 people over and over.

Kaya ver 2

Love
    Kaya's ordinariness is a double-edged blade. What I like about it is how she's not some princess or legendary figure, but rather a rich girl who just lost her parents. It makes her relationship with Usopp much more sweet. There's no politics or deep dark secrets, they're just two people who lost their parents.They're the only pair that I want to get together in the end.

For being sickly and depressed, she's very determined when it comes down to it. She was willing to sacrifice her life and fortune for her friends and pulled a gun on dangerous man she once trusted deeply. She didn't sit around and cry for help, despite being the one character in the series (and maybe Shirahoshi) where it'd make sense.

Loathe

She's ordinary. So much she's got no standout trait and one expression.

Her entire existence depends on Usopp. She's there to get his story going. Take Usopp away and there's nothing left.

Character: 3.5 - I don't know why but I'm really fond of her.
    Dedign: 2 - As much as I like her blond hair, she's extremely bland. If she wasn't introduced so early she wouldn't be memorable at all.
    Last edited by Zar; May 20th, 2017 at 05:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    Favorite Comment goes to Strooger
    "Foxy fulfilled his role very, very well. He was inherently wacky and a bit silly, but he was not a joke. He wasn't some big arc villain that went down in a titanic struggle, but was skilled enough to justify his presence and relative notoriety in the Grand Line. The balance achieved here was perfect to me; he managed to be both a light-hearted figure but also an actual presence that ultimately made him satisfying to finally defeat, making us actually care about the events of the Davy Back Fight arc. His power is also really cool and had plenty of potential, which was executed reasonably well given Foxy's overall status in the Grand Line. Plus, Foxy not overstaying his welcome by only appearing in one arc is a big plus, though I wouldn't mind seeing a cover story of him at all (granted this is unfortunately far from true for anime-only watchers lol)"
    This was me lol

Kaya:
    Love: I really liked her interactions with Usopp. She played a damsel in distress role pretty well, I guess

Loathe:
    Everything she does is essentially to serve the plot. Outside of that, there's little to enjoy. I didn't care that her disease was essentially Kuro-itis or that she wanted to become a doctor after she got better. I greatly preferred Kaya in None Piece Episode 5-7.

Also there is the matter of her backstabbing me

Character: 2
    Design: 1
    she had like, one memorable expression

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    This was me lol
    I blame the heat

Sorry I'm late! Gotta do this, Foxy rant, lets go!

Love:
    It doesn’t need much repeating at this point, but: Foxy is just so damn fun. The main thing people remember is his fragile self esteem, a cute little joke which builds to several great payoffs, whether it causes Foxy to fail hiding in the smoke, or whether the entire crew joins in on his depression when Luffy “updates” their flag. It’s a gag that serves as sort of a meta-commentary on the arc itself: Foxy arrives to challenge the Straw Hats, and is instantly crestfallen because they don’t know him. Because he’s just some dude there to challenge them to fun games. And of course, what makes them so fun is not just that Foxy cheats, but that he’s such an obvious, terrible cheat. Mr 3 is the kind of cheater who spikes your drink with C4, Foxy is the kind of cheater who tries to distract opponents through terrible disguises and obvious traps. I mean, dude dresses up as a sickly grandma to distract opposing racers, how can you not love that? He’s like a villainous amalgamation of Usopp, Chopper, and Franky: devious yet naďve, flashy and boastful yet deeply insecure. He's simple, but you instantly get Foxy.

Foxy has one of my favorite abilities in the series. At first it seemed borderline “shark-jumpy”, but in contrast to many of the exotic abilities that’ve come after, the Noro Noro fruit has some strict rules and effects that it sticks to: It’s a beam that slows things down, and can be reflected by mirrors. That’s it. And Foxy mines that abilities for all its worth, giving one hell of a fun trap-filled fight. The fruit is the backbone of the Foxy Pirates DBF operation, and you get the feeling that Foxy has a tried and tested routine with it - one that, but for a broken piece of glass stuck in some hair, has Luffy on the ropes. Foxy might’ve been clownish enough to get hit by his own face bombs, but he was no pushover. Through strategy and excellent usage of tools and ability his fight with Luffy is a series highlight, and god damn that final K.O. countdown is a thing of beauty. Also, it makes way more sense than the haki-timer in Dressrosa.

I also love how Foxy and his crew has this whole tacky carnival theme going on, with cotton candy and adorable foxy badges and everything…And despite them being rotten cheaters, they’re not truly mean spirited. When the Foxy pirates chill out and drink with Zoro, its not because they have sinister motives. Foxy picking Chopper handicaps the team, but ultimately he’s picked because he’s adorable. Foxy has themed back-up dancers. Theres’ not even any signs that the souvenirs are cheaply made! It all contributes to the feeling of Fun that permeates the arc, which is so benign that it culminates in the podium collapsing under the stress of the Foxy Pirates diving to save their beloved captain. I love it! The looser feel of the arc might also be the reason the anime could expand on it with some degree of success; at the very least, the “Foxy Lockdown” strategy during the rollerblade race was great.

Loathe: While the anime did a bit right by Foxy, he’s also the victim of the single worst commercial break I’ve seen: Right before the final countdown ends. Talk about killing the momentum.
    Aside from that I can’t think of anything else but asking wheres that goddamn cover story?

Character: Okay full disclosure: Davy Back Fight is one of my favorite arcs in the whole series, and as its figurehead, I can’t help but let that rub off on my feelings for Foxy. Its not the most complex arc or the most emotionally affecting arc, but at a mere 15 chapters it is, page for page, panel for panel, perhaps the most entertaining. Ultimately I judge characters on a) how well they serve their role and b) how much they appeal to me. I can’t say Foxy is “as good” a character as someone like Kureha, but goddammit, just thinking about him makes me smile. I love everything he and his arc represents, and I just gotta go with my gut and say 5/5. Its probably inflated from what should otherwise be a 4 at most, but that’s what its gotta be.

Design
    : 4.5/5. Its silly, but its silly in a cohesive way, and is instantly recognizable. You never feel like you’re supposed to take Foxy too seriously, but you don’t feel that he was some random schmuck either; in other words, a good fit for the character.

Foxy

Love: There isn't really much left to say about Foxy that hasn't been said. He's funny, but not a joke, and he doesn't overstay his welcome. I think I'd also like to add that he's the best example of a character "carrying" an entire arc in the series. If you cut Foxy out and replaced him with some less funny and threatening character, the Davy Back Fight would have easily been the worst arc in the manga. With Foxy however, you get one of the best breather arcs in shonen manga history.

Loathe: This is a bit of a non-criticism, but despite all he has going for him and how unique he is, he still feels oddly unmemorable compared to almost any other arc villain. When you think "One Piece villain," Foxy isn't one of the first to come to mind. Granted, part of this is just because he never shows up again, but still.

Character: 4/5
    Design: 4/5

Kaya

Love:
    I guess her interactions with Usopp were kinda cute. And, well, she was brave enough to confront Kuro by herself, so I'll give her props for that. Plus, like people already mentioned, despite being the richest person in Usopp's village Kaya clearly wasn't a spoiled brat and was actually a pretty friendly and accepting young girl. I can appreciate that.

Loathe:
    Yeah... Kaya wasn't exactly the most intriguing and exciting character in the East Blue saga. I get that she wasn't really supposed to be one, cause her role was just to move the plot along, but I still wish she had more to her. For a character that was actually pretty important in the grand scheme of the arc she felt very hollow and boring. Partially because of her, the Syrup Village arc will never be one of my favorites.
    Her design is the one of the blandest one in the series for me. Even some fodder designs are more interesting than hers, IMO.

Character - 2/5 meh, I guess it's kinda unfair to bash her like that because back when the arc came out she probably felt more "fresh" and interesting... but now that we have 800 more chapters and tons of characters under our belt , she just seems like the most boring person ever.
    Design - 1.5/5 even back when Nami and Makino were pretty much the only pretty females in the manga, Oda still made Kaya a copy of those 2.
    Last edited by Lao G; May 20th, 2017 at 01:32 AM.

In case you might not have caught it, Love and Loathe: Story Arc Edition is now back up and running!

Spoiler:

Kaya

Love: She was a nice enough character

Loathe: She was just a nice enough character

Design: 1.5

Edit: After consideration I've decided to add half a point to Kaya's design. It is still too simple for my tastes but with so many outrageous character designs now it stands out a little more for being so normal. And Kaya is JUST a village girl. So it suits her.
    Last edited by Atuin; May 22nd, 2017 at 03:14 AM.

Kaya

Love:
    Kaya is probably the last link to those innocent days of One Piece before the Arlong arc changed things. Compared to her successors who have had mixed results, Kaya is not royalty, is not holding some great secret, or has some ulterior motive. She's just a simple village girl, and that tender innocence of her character makes her endearing in a series where Oda has often had to keep one upping himself to make the casts of the arc relevant. Kaya likes Ussop and believes or at least enjoys his tall tales, but isn't one to completely be loyal to him, something that Ussop has to earn back, which set the stage for his actions in later arcs. She's the person who he will come back to once his grand adventure is over, and she, of all the cast will probably be the most unchanged from everything that has happened. There is something to enjoy from that.

Loathe: However, in a series where female representation is at the forefront compared to other manga, Kaya doesn't really bring anything to the table. For all the criticism of Vivi and especially Rebecca, they at least have urgency, character and motives that drive who they are and what they do are not defined by just being "the girl next door". Kaya more or less serves as plot device for the arc, someone for Ussop to bounce off of and for Kuro to be a villain for. Once that arc is done, Kaya's place in the manga is pretty much over, and let's face it. You forgot that she even existed until she came up in this thread.

Design: 1.5 (Is Kaya actually ground zero for Nami clone?)
    3DS Friendcode: 1177-6707-2664

Quote Originally Posted by KzTxL7 View Post
    I wasn't distracted by Lucy being half naked.

You won this week Fairy Tail.

A day and a half left for Kaya. So it's time for the hint, provided by Lao G

"this character has performed the act of autocannibalism at one point".

Zeff is the only one I can think about.

"auto-cannibalism"

Hmmm..."auto-cannibalism"..."auto" as in "automobile"...The One Piece equivalents to automobiles are clearly ships...a ship that ate other ships...
    It must be the ship/island of Thriller Bark!

In all seriousness, my guess is Wapol.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kaya

Love:
    Kaya has a good arc throughout Syrup Village. She starts depressed, using Usopp's stories to escape from the grief of losing her parents. At the end, when Usopp decides to become a pirate like he has always wanted, she decides to pursue her own dream of becoming a doctor. It's nothing too extravagant, but it is sufficient for the story at the time.

I will say, however, that I think I have enjoyed her bounty reaction/cover page appearances more than her appearance in the arc because it shows she is still pursuing her goal of being a doctor and that she still supports Usopp's own dream.

Loathe:
    There is not too much going on with Kaya, so there really isn't anything to complain about. However, she often feels more like a catalyst for conflict rather than a character in her own right, meaning I remember her more for her role in Usopp's development than for anything she did on her own.

Her design is also very simplistic and early One Piece. Maybe I'm just spoiled by other parts of the series, but I'd say background/one-off characters from later arcs have designs that are more distinctive and memorable.

Rating:
    Character: 1.5/5 - Her character works, but doesn't do too much more.

Design: 1/5 - Very basic.
    Last edited by Batoma; May 21st, 2017 at 01:03 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information