But Pudding is too fresh.
    The faces of a Straw Hat.

Wano? Wa-TWO YEARS??? Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Default Re: Love and Loathe 2: Return of the Analysis

It's got to be Capone Pez

Spoiler:

Maybe it's Weevil? Probably Conis though.

Rebecca!!! Some carnage is needed.

Nothing exists; even if something exists, nothing can be known about it. Even if something can be known about it,
    knowledge about it can't be communicated to others
    . Even if it can be communicated, it cannot be understood.

Galdino's Arlong Park Evaluation

The three most commonly loved things about Galdino:
    1. Cunning & Intelligent – Galdino was already great as a villain in Little Garden. He wasn't the most powerful, but his display of strategy as well as his willingness to play dirty made him a great punching bag.
    2. Character Development – From an heartless mook into a man, who stands up for those he respects - between his first appearance and now Galdino certainly went through a change. And the way it was handled was solid and thus quite well received.
    3. Friendship with Buggy – In Impel Down Galdino met Buggy, and a great bromance between two already established characters began. Their fun dynamic brought light-heartedness into the saga, which delighted most of you.
    The three most commonly loathed things about Galdino:
    1. Deus Ex Machina – The way Galdino was brought into some situations seemed rather forced to some, especially when he suddenly was atop Ace's execution platform.
    2. Cowardice – The way he acted on Little Garden was the opposite of brave. He deceived the giants, trapped the Straw Hats and when all was lost he tried to flee from the battle.
    3. Overshadowed – Everytime Galdino appears - especially since Impel Down - he tends to get overshadowed by the other characters. In comparison to e.g. Buggy, Bentham or Sir Crocodile he just does not stand out enough. Thus he also often gets overlooked by video games and TV specials.
    In the end Galdino got:
    • an amazing 4.42 with few things to dislike about
    • and a 3.88 for his rather plain but effective design.
    Thanks for all the responses! The next character will follow very soon.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Love and Loathe 2 - #3

Heso! The next character we are about to evaluate is the lovely lady from Angel Beach: Conis!

To get the whole picture, please tell us the following:

What are the things that you love about Conis?
    What are the things that you loathe about Conis?

At the end please give Conis two ratings:

One for her character & actions in the story.
    One for her look & design.

These must be between 1 and 5, with 5 being the highest (.5's are acceptable - ex. 1.5 or 4.5). I will tally these.

This analysis will be open for the next 72 hours.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by CaptainAppleJack; February 22nd, 2017 at 05:30 PM.

Love: Conis's most memorable moment was her warning the Skypeian citizen about Enel's plan. Her stealing the bike, defying the polices & pointing the bazooka was kinda awesome. It was also the only instance where I felt that Conis was actually a character.

Loathe:I don't hate her. But her biggest issue is that she was the "token female tour guide that Luffy befriend" for the arc. She was incredibly bland & her only main characteristic is that she loves her dad & her pet, I guess.She had no quirks whatsoever. She was such a nothing character that I only remember about her existence because I read Skypeia arc quite recently.

Character/action:1.5/5
    Look/design:2/5

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyBlue View Post
    Love: Conis's most memorable moment was her warning the Skypeian citizen about Enel's plan. Her stealing the bike, defying the polices & pointing the bazooka was kinda awesome. It was also the only instance where I felt that Conis was actually a character.

Loathe:I don't hate her. But her biggest issue is that she was the "token female tour guide that Luffy befriend" for the arc. She was incredibly bland & her only main characteristic is that she loves her dad & her pet, I guess.She had no quirks whatsoever. She was such a nothing character that I only remember about her existence because I read Skypeia arc quite recently.

Character/action:1.5/5
    Look/design:2/5
    I think Oda subdued her to avoid having another Princess Vivi type situation again. Especially since that issue would become a problem in New World.
    FMA 03> FMA Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by ShinigamiKing View Post
    I think Oda subdued her to avoid having another Princess Vivi type situation again. Especially since that issue would become a problem in New World.
    ??
    Mind explaining your point?
    Princess or not, it's not hard to make a character more *interesting by adding some quirk.
    Viola was a princess & she was incredibly bland...

Wano? Wa-TWO YEARS??? Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

I literally do not remember what Conis did at all...

Spoiler:

Love: despite being looking like a dainty tour guide at the start, Conis goes through some serious stuff. She's wracked over guilt when the crab comes to capture the Merry (with Zoro, Robin, Chopper, and Nami) aboard and helps Luffy, Sanji, and Usopp get them back.
    The people of Skypiea throw rocks at her when she tries to warn them about Eneru's wrath. and she's voiced by Laura Bailey

Loathe: Not really "loathe" but maybe her design could've had more pop. And didn't do as much in the arc when compared to the other SH allies: Wiper and Aisa.

looks - 3/5
    character - 3/5

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyBlue View Post
    ??
    Mind explaining your point?
    Princess or not, it's not hard to make a character more *interesting by adding some quirk.
    Viola was a princess & she was incredibly bland...
    I was just trying to get into Oda's mind. But even then, yeah, he could have given her a more interesting personality.
    FMA 03> FMA Brotherhood

Conis:

Love: As mentioned before by other people, Conis played a typical "Damsel in distress/Luffy's female friend In need of physical and mental salvation" type of character, but, in my opinion at least, it was one of the few cases when this type of character was done right. If we compare Conis to Nami and Vivi, both of whom played basically the exact same roles in the arcs prior to Skypiea Conis seemed fairly... unimportant. Not much was expected from her, as she wasn't even close to the degrees of attachment that Nami and Vivi had to the crew. But to my surprise, I came to enjoy the character quite a bit.
    I liked her development throughout the arc. She went from a scared law abiding citizen to a brave heroic young lady who was ready to sacrifice her life going against the very laws that she was so afraid of at the start of the arc, without hesitation. All to save the lives of other Skypiea citizens. The bazooka&White Berets scene was very powerful for me (if only Rebecca had a scene like that, smh), and that scene pretty much solidified Conis as a likable character in my eyes.
    I also kind of enjoyed the gag of Conis and Pagaya being pretty ignorant of their own loud presence.

Loathe: There isn't really much to loathe in this case... Conis was a character for one arc basically. She didn't leave much room for further plot relevance, nor does she feel like a memorable ally/unofficial crewmate type of character. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, characters like this are what make up 50% of the story after all.
    Other than that I would say that she has a pretty bland design, but that's attributable to the population of the Angel Island as a whole.

Character - 3/5. I liked her, she fulfilled her role splendidly but isn't memorable enough to score her higher in my book.
    Design - 2/5. Bland. Can't say more about It tbh.

Love: There is not much to say about her since she's such a minor character. Not even really that central to the plot of Skypiea either, but despite that, I think she went through a pretty considerable and interesting arc. I think her going from just guide girl of the island ( who's role has become increasingly troped since then ), to revealing her betrayal, but also showing her severe regret, to eventually really take control of the situation in a great display of stoicism and badassery. Once she comes back to the Island with the Bazooka and start ordering fools around, I think her character really established itself as about as interesting as she could be. To compare this to other female characters of similiar stock, I think Conis beats both Rebecca and Shirahoshi, despite having about 1/4th of the former and maybe 1/10th of the latters screentime. She not only develops, but also manages to do what she intends to do. Which is all you can really ask for, from such a minor character.

Loathe: There isn't really anything to loath, but ultimately there wasn't anything really memorable about her. Probably has a lot to do with her short time on the screen and that's kind of the point: the role she filled is usually larger ( for better or worse ). And I guess people say unmemorability is even worse than being flat out bad, but I disagree, I'd rather have 100 Conises every arc than have a single Rebecca in one.

Character - 3/5. For what it is, I think she's decent.
    Design - 2.5/5. I mean, there isn't really much to say, pretty run on the mill. Every character doesn't need to be incredibly weirdlooking.

Love: The only things I like about Conis are her design and her warning the Skypieans of Enel. Absolutely nothing else.

Loathe: Apart from the aforementioned redeeming moment, she is bland and exists only for exposition purposes. She is not at all memorable. She is the standard token female of the arc; albeit the worst one. Even Rebecca is a better character than her.

Character: 2/5
    Design: 3/5
    In violently vociferating you violate your virility with vacuous vanity, vanguard of vileness. I visit my vengeance by vindictively vacating my vapours on your visage.

Originally posted by UssopSpell.

This evaluation might contain lots of bias since Skypiea is my favourite arc ever and I tend to view almost everything in that arc as subjectively good.

Love: Conis was a character that I didn't expect much from, but what I got was surprisingly rewarding. Compared to the major arc that came before (Alabasta) that had Vivi, who bonded through about a hundred of chapters with the crew, Conis felt just... there. Yet her actions throughout the arc, despite paling in comparison of the more major events that transpired cemented my opinion of her as a high tier 'island tour guide' character.
    - it was nice to see just a quiet little family living in the clouds. Oda clearly put a respectable amount of effort in showing the lifestyle of the Skypieans which I enjoyed reading.
    - turned from selling out the SHs in the fear of the safety of her family, to straight up refusing to acknowledge Enel as a God, and doing her best to save her fellow citizens which cements her as a great minor character.
    - knows how to handle a bazooka.

Loathe:
    all and all, she's still just a minor character.

Character:
    3.5/5 (probably lower if she wasn't in this particular arc)
    Design: 3/5 - she does have a rather unique facial structure, plus the antenna and wings are a nice touch.

↑Biological Weaopn of Doom and Destruction

I thought I had strong opinions on each character in One Piece, but even Farul, Cavendish's horse made more of an impression on me than Conis...

Love: The Bazooka scene is very much THE scene for Conis. A very nice moment showing some development for her as a person, and one of the most memorable she had...

Loathe: But unfortunately she's just pretty forgettable. I struggle at the best of times about the Skypian adventure and it's people, but Conis is a special kind of "meh".
    She's not the worst character from the arc, but she's not as memorable as Eneru, Wiper, Gan Fall, Gedatsu or even Norland and Calgara either.
    Had Conis had been the 'guide' character in an earlier arc, she'd probably have struck more of a chord, but after the likes of Zoro's wacky bounty hunter brothers, Nami's no nonsense sister, Norland's ancestor who never stopped dreaming about the city of gold, the boy who is eventually destined to become Luffy's marine rival and of course the gutsy Princess and her even gutsier duck steed, Conis feels a little overshadowed and bland comparitively.

Character: 1.5/5 A little too bland to leave much impression, and by that point Oda proved he could do guide characters incredibly well.
    Design: 2.5/5 She's alright, her design isn't bad per say, but a more interesting design alone could have greatly improved her memorability.

Love:

Her little arc is nice and serves its purpose.

The emotional beats of said arc are done well.

Loathe:

Nothing I really hate, she just isn't as memorable as most other characters. A lot of side characters from Skypiea suffer from this.

Character: 3 out of 5; Perfectly serviceable character arc.
    Design: 3 out of 5; Bland but not ugly in any way.
    I'm making a comic!
    Skipper and Sunflower

Love

Who?

Loathe

Who?

​?/5
    3DS Friendcode: 1177-6707-2664

Quote Originally Posted by KzTxL7 View Post
    I wasn't distracted by Lucy being half naked.

You won this week Fairy Tail.

16 characters of Crocodile?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information