+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Love and Loathe 2: Return of the Analysis

Default Re: Love and Loathe 2: Return of the Analysis

Is this thread gonna get updated?

Yeah, soon...was just a bit disheartened by the little responses. Meanwhile the hint: This character has maybe the most literal name in the series.

Well Baron Tamago is as literal as it gets. But isn't it a bit early for him?

There is Smoker. Has Smoker been done it?
    Spoiler:
    Original Stories:
    Hybrid
    Four Swords

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAppleJack View Post
    Yeah, soon...was just a bit disheartened by the little responses. Meanwhile the hint: This character has maybe the most literal name in the series.
    Conis was probably not the best choice if you expected an overwhelming response. Anyway I'll be here as often as I can anyway, don't give up! This is an awesome thread.

Dalmation? With his devil fruit powers of...being a dalmation?

Conis's Arlong Park Evaluation

The most commonly loved thing about Conis:
    1. Warning the Citizen – Conis had a great badass scene where she warned Skypea's citizens of Enel's plan, armed with a bazooka and a hell lot of determination. Here she showed her resolve which she built up throughout the arc and came into her own.
    The most commonly loathed thing about Conis:
    1. Forgettable - She was the token guide character in Skypea and didn't make much of a memorable impact. She isn't very quirky or anything and plays the typical female damsel in distress a bit, which overall make her seem rather bland.
    In the end Conis got:
    • the weakest score yet with 2.56 for her character
    • and a not much higher 2.63 in terms of design. ​Ouch!
    Thanks for all the responses! The next character will follow very soon.
    Last edited by CaptainAppleJack; February 22nd, 2017 at 05:30 PM.

Let's Do the Odyssey! MetaMario's Avatar

Ah, I forgot "number,number" and "number.number" switch from the U.S to Europe. ;3

Love and Loathe 2 - #4

He is after Luffy since way back in Logue Town, the first Logia user we ever witnessed: Enter Vice-Admiral Smoker!

To get the whole picture, please tell us the following:

What are the things that you love about Smoker?
    What are the things that you loathe about Smoker?

At the end please give Smoker two ratings:

One for his character & actions in the story.
    One for his look & design.

These must be between 1 and 5, with 5 being the highest (.5's are acceptable - ex. 1.5 or 4.5). I will tally these.

This analysis will be open for the next 72 hours.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by CaptainAppleJack; February 18th, 2017 at 06:11 PM.

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Love and Loathe 2 - #4
    Smoker's image is broken.

"The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke."

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    Smoker's image is broken.
    Hm, worked for me, but I used another link now. So hopefully it should be fixed.

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Hm, worked for me, but I used another link now. So hopefully it should be fixed.
    It's good now. Thanks.

"The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke."

Love: To put it simple: Smoker is a badass. Not the type of badass that gets annoying because that's everything there is to him and he just becomes a Mary Sue. But if there is one word to describe him; it would be badass. He smokes two cigars for the love of god. TWO. I remember reading One Piece with my dad as a kid and we were both amazed at how cool it is to smoke two cigars. He's also proven he can kick serious ass, with a pretty cool devil fruit ability. But Smoker is also a very likable guy. He's a hero of his own story, a strict man of principle, but with a heart of gold and wellmeaning beneath it all. Like in that awesome moment when he gives the little girl money for the ice cream she spilled on his pants. Then of course the most iconic moment: Having no issues to tell the Gorosei to eat shit. That's kinda bonechilling in all honesty. In all honesty, Smoker is always a blast. Nothing gets worse when Smoker is involved and that is always a good freaking thing.

Loathe: Unfortunately, Smoker is kind of stumped in Punk Hazard. He gets some pretty cool fights, but he just looks bad. Now, he's obviously fighting three very powerful opponents, but he's meant to be one of Luffy's rival. These three fights unfortunately hurt his hype, a lot.

Character: 4 - loses about half a point for the L-streak in Punk Hazard. But still, an awesome character.
    Design: 5 - Everything about him is so freaking cool. A hunky, commando-looking dude wearing shades and an open jacket, smoking two cigars. Brilliant. As far as marine character design goes, he's the pinnacle.

Love: Smoker quickly stood apart even though he's usually just been doing his job ever since his introduction. We saw corrupt Marines, and we saw Marines who embraced both the positive and negative aspects of their position, but Smoker was the first in a line of "reason before honor" Marines, guys who are Marines because they genuinely want to do the right thing but are smart enough to know that even they aren't perfect. Smoker had an amazing first impression, with his sunglasses, cigars, and FREAKIN' MOTORCYCLE...and then he gives a girl money for ice cream. What a guy. He then had the common sense in Alabasta to know who the real enemy was, and quite notably he set up one of the biggest aftereffects of Dressrosa through his failure to prevent what happened on Alabasta from being covered up.

In several ways, Smoker was a great nemesis to Luffy as well, with his powers being a great nemesis that showed Luffy the great power and diversity of the Grand Line and taught him how flexible his abilities would need to be, rather than simple stretched punches and kicks. It was nice seeing a mutual respect grow in between them, the atypical Marine against the atypical pirate, that made me look forward to a possible final confrontation.

Loathe: However, Smoker's relationship with Luffy has both love and loathe aspects to it. It was never given its fair share of time to really shape into a rivalry, with just the stuff on Alabasta, followed by absolutely no interaction until a brief scene in Marineford, and then Punk Hazard two years later. Everything between Luffy and Smoker THERE was basically a rehash of Alabasta, though Smoker was more involved in PH. The gaps between meetings made the enmity a really minor thing, and we never saw Luffy really try to find a solution to actually hit Smoker. It was like "oh crap, I should've thought of a way to fight him, guess I'll just run away and get started on that first thing tomorrow!" When Rayleigh finally brings up Armament, by then the scope is on Logia users as a whole and Smoker is simply by the wayside.

Returning to the topic of Punk Hazard, boy was Smoker a hot mess there. A great possible setup for a battle with Luffy at the beginning of the arc is taken instead by Mr. Trafalgar Law, and though Law did need some form of real introduction, it came at the cost of a great opportunity. Then Smoker proceeds to get his ass kicked three times - by Law, Vergo, and Doffy - and rarely manages to accomplish anything during the arc. The fight choreography with Vergo was great, and it's not a stretch to believe that Doffy would whoop Smoky, but timing is everything. At the end, there's no longer any emotional investment in me to see a real fight between Luffy and Smoker, because the two parted with Luffy on an extremely upward swing and Smoker on an extremely downward one. Luffy's taking down the Yonko's top brass now, so can we be expected to have a Vice Admiral give him any real threat, with his Logia now being only a useful accessory after, you guessed it, Punk Hazard with Caesar and Monet, and everything else about him not really being displayed much.

I mean, it's not like Roger and Garp had a fight to end all fights (as far as we know at least), so an ultimate clash between Luffy and Smoky doesn't need to happen, but looking back on the events of Alabasta, everything seemed to point to that they would, creating this whole disconnect.

Character and Actions: 3.5 I think very highly about his character, a little less so about his actions

Design: 4.5 He looks so cool he pretty much gives every anti-smoking movement nightmares.

Spoiler:

Fucking called it!

Love: He is the first marine to actually acts by his own moral justice instead of following whatever the status quo dictates. That is something. Also he has a jutte. People would use swords or guns, but he has a motherfucking jutte. That is what any cop would have. He also smokes two cigars. But it is okay because he is a smoke logia. He can smoke without the danger of lung cancer and shit. And he also rides a bike with four wheels.

Loathe: He didn't done very well in fights lately does him?

Character: 4.5
    Design: 4
    Last edited by KageKageKing; February 20th, 2017 at 11:09 AM.
    Spoiler:
    Original Stories:
    Hybrid
    Four Swords

Smoker

Love:

"My pants ate your ice cream"
    In stark contrast to his scary face, Smoker proves to be surprisingly nice and this is the very first hint at him being a good guy marine.

His personal respect
    Smoker isn't afraid to tell his superiors to eat shit, he treats his underlings with respect unlike some of his fellow marines, and he and Tashigi follow their own justices. He'll team up with Luffy and Law, despite his disdain for pirates in general if it's for the sake of his own men or civilians and isn't afraid to stand up for what he believes in. Admirable traits indeed.

Tools of the trade
    Billower Bike is cool. I'm always down for Devil Fruit users who use their abilities to power their modes of transportation. That his Jitte contains seastone specifically designed to give him the upper hand in battle with devil fruit users was a cool idea until Haki rendered seastone less special. Still a cool weapon.

Loathe:
    Worf effect/Jobbing

Smoker is seen as tough. He easily thrashes Luffy in his first appearence and easily captures the impossible to trap Alvida and cuts Buggy off too...unfortunately he's also captured by Crocodile, blocked by Ace, beaten senseless by Hancock for daring to try and stop Luffy in Marineford, defeated by Law and loses his heart, gets defeated by Vergo AND nearly dies by Doflamingo's hand. Seeing how he was supposed to be Luffy's main marine rival(outside maybe Coby) it's difficult to imagine Smoker being a threat to Luffy anymore who has defeated both Croc and Doflamingo.

Basically to show how terrifying an opponent is, Smoker often ends up on the wrong side of an ass kicking.

Vergo showcases the major weakness of Smoker's fruit; the more area he covers with smoke the bigger a target he is for a haki embued attack, and in the New World where nearly every physical fighter has haki that takes away a lot of his previous bite.

A little too serious
    Kind of a personal preference, but Smoker is...a little boring to me. He doesn't have a real wacky quirk outside liking his shirt unbuttoned(a quirk I didn't even realise he had prior to Punk Hazard spelling it out when he trades bodies with Tashigi) and smoking a lot. His devil fruit fighting style is fine, but it's not creative enough for me to get too excited about.

Character: 3.5/5 Whenever Smoker does appear he seems to affect the plot(aside from Marineford), and he does fine as a stark contrast to fellow Luffy Marine rival Coby as well as Luffy himself. Just wish he was either a little more developed as a character(a backstory would help wonders), a little quirkier and wasn't used to show off how strong other characters were.
    Design: 3/5 It's perfectly functional, if a little plain. Double cigars are cool.

Love:
    Basically everything Kaido King of the Beasts just said.

Loath:
    Same as before, but I'd also like to add that after seeing all that the Strawhats have accomplished at Alabasta, I think it's pretty frustrating that he's still so obsessed with capturing Luffy and crew. He knows by now that they're "good" (or at least "better") pirates, so shouldn't he prioritize more dangerous crew?

Character: 3/5
    Design: 3/5

Luv:
    -Personality
    -Intro with the girl
    -Pride when his work is involved

Loath:
    -He's the mere connection of the marines with Luffy, it was presented at Punk Hazard for one reason, because he's weak and Luffy points above such thing. Oda plays with Smoker to be a support character, because just as many of you pointed, he tries to catch Luffy because of Dragon and then for code of honor leaves them escape Alubarna.

My point exactly here is that he has made his job, i don't see him getting stronger, the true rival from the marines to Luffy is Coby, a guy with the 'inherited will'. The only spotlight for him to me now, it's in the Great Wave event helping Luffy because of his skill to attract people, nothing else.

-So weak, i mean he only has won over Buggy & Alvida and some punks aside the Red Line, now you realize why he should've stayed at Loguetown.
    -Being part of the nice group of marines, shitty D:
    -Motorcycle, where do you left it?

Character:3/5
    Design:2.5/5

Nothing exists; even if something exists, nothing can be known about it
    Even if something can be known about it, knowledge about it can't be communicated to others
    Even if it can be communicated, it cannot be understood.

Ah Smoker, my favourite Marine! (not that there's tone of competition there but still)

Love:
    - His ice-cream eating pants of course. Acts tough but has a heart of gold.
    - Logias are cool. Notably the first Logia we are introduced to.
    - 'Tell them to eat shit.' He follows his own code of justice and him turning the other way and letting Luffy and co go during Alabasta, instead of capturing them to fulfill his pride cemented him as one of my favourite characters. He also recognised Crocodile, government-acknowledged pirate as the real threat and played a part, no matter how small in taking down the former. Whether he used the dance powder to make it rain or not after Crocodile's defeat was something interesting to think about.
    - His relationship with his subordinates, namely Tashigi and the G5. He and Tashigi have a great dynamic and mutual trust which is one of the many bonds I like in One Piece. He acts gruff and harsh towards them yet its clear that he cares about them really deeply, evidenced by his rage towards Vergo's betrayal (which I found a scene well done). I wish that Oda shown more about his relationship with Hina though.
    - He can smoke 2 cigars at once because he would never get lung cancer. But smoking is still bad, kids.

Loathe:
    -I didn't really mind his losing streak in Punk Hazard because he went down with style in all of them (except for maybe the vs Doffy one). But maybe a huge flaw of him is being too prideful, like him refusing help from Luffy and co. in Punk Hazard even when circumstances were dire. Some flexibility would be nice.
    - More creative use of his fruit please! Maybe filling someone's lungs with smoke or something, but maybe that's too brutal a move to fit his character.
    - What kind of parents name their child Smoker? (unless its a nickname that stuck or something...)

Character:
    4/5 best Marine
    Design: 3.5/5 typical hunky tough guy, though a bit too Crocodile-ish post-timeskip (fur, scar, cigar), and we all know that Crocodile pulls any look better than anyone. Cool choice of weapon. Still where's that bike?

↑Biological Weaopn of Doom and Destruction

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Character: 4.75.
    Design: 4.25
    You can only give a character a score of e.g. 4, 4.5 or 5 - nothing inbetween. So should I round these numbers up or down?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information