+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Love and Loathe 2: Return of the Analysis

Default Love and Loathe 2: Return of the Analysis

Back in good old 2014 user city_lights31 started a thread called "Love and Loathe: Daily One Piece Character Analysis". It was a great concept and it's nice to reread even now, though it sadly only held out until May of that year. As recently there was the question of reviving the thread, I would like to take this chance and properly do it with this new iteration. For a proper overview I decided to to start a new topic. So, what do we do here?

Quote Originally Posted by city_lights31 View Post
    Here's the deal: We are looking to hyper-critique a character to try and pinpoint what makes them great and what makes them terrible. After enough people respond, I will organize what are the best and worst traits of the character, and compile an evaluation post later. Also, don't worry if you have the same answers as others, the point is to figure out a common denominator for the character.
    So without further ado, let's start with...

Love and Loathe 2 - #1

We will start off with the brother of the man, who was the first subject of the original: Law's mentor Donquixote Rosinante, Codename: Corazon!

To get the whole picture, please tell us the following:

What are the things that you love about Rosinante?
    What are the things that you loathe about Rosinante?

At the end please give Rosinante two ratings:

One for his character & actions in the story.
    One for his look & design.

These must be between 1 and 5, with 5 being the highest (.5's are acceptable - ex. 1.5 or 4.5). I will tally these.

This analysis will be open for the next 72 hours.

Enjoy!

------------------------------------------------

~~ RANKINGS: Character ~~
    1. Galdino (4.42)
    2. Rosinante (4.13)
    3. Zoro (4.11)
    4. Jabra (3.78)
    5. Carue (3.75)
    6. Smoker (3.71)
    7. Caesar (3.10)
    8. Conis (2.56)
    9. Alvida (1.94)
    ~~ RANKINGS: Design ~~
    1. Rosinante (4.44)
    2. Caesar (4.28)
    3. Jabra (4.07)
    4. Carue (3.90)
    5. Galdino (3.88)
    6. Smoker (3.73)
    7. Zoro (3.40)
    8. Alvida (2.89)
    9. Conis (2.63)
    Last edited by CaptainAppleJack; March 20th, 2017 at 12:04 PM.

Default Re: Love and Loathe 2: Return of the Analysis

Love: I love pretty much everything about Rosinante. He's had some pretty great moments, from his confession to Law, to him breaking in and stealing the Ope Ope no Mi, and finally his death scene. It was mostly all beautiful written. But what makes him so good isn't that he's a role model on a high pedestal, it's that he also provides a look into Doflamingo's own personality and how two people can deviate in response to the same awful situations based on their choices and the people they hang around. He also has a great Devil Fruit power and I enjoy how his clumsiness actually served as a Chekhov's Gun

Loathe: The only real knock I have on Rosinante is his assertion that Doflamingo was born evil. I kind of found that a distasteful way to address Doffy's actions since it would honestly be more tragic to actually make it clear that Doffy chose to turn dark after all the stuff he went through, coupled with the bad peer pressure from his original executives. But no, he was born evil, his first thoughts when out of the womb were "Where's my first slave?"

Character Rating: 4.5
    Appearance Rating: 5

Spoiler:

King of the Dead, huh Silverblade's Avatar

Good man CaptainAppleJack. You should have gone for Analysis Boogaloo subtitle though.

Love: Rosinante is a classic One Piece parent figure who can proudly stand alongside all other great flashback heroes. His whole life "has all been an act", and yet every choice he has made was true to himself - a gentle and compassionate man whose own brand of justice was just so much more humane than many of his brothers-in-arms. He also greatly helped every character who he had connections with to shine in a different light than we used to see them, Sengoku most of all. His design is just as well crafted - his mime aesthetics compliment his abilities and role quite nicely, and you can never go wrong with dark feathers.

In an arc as infamous for the amount of characters it has introduced and made compete for screentime as Dressrosa, Rosinante has managed to stage both a spectacular and heartfelt performance, and climbed to the position of my personal favorite Marine officer.

Loathe: Nothing.

Character: 5/5
    Design: 4.5/5

Love: His Devil Fruit power as useless as it sounds, it actually can be used pretty good if you are the stealthy kind of guy and had basic training at combat. Can we have a Ninja in Wano with this DF, please Oda. He also looks really cool when smoking...but smoking is bad of course, specially if you are a clumsly guy with an easy to burn coat. Speaking of which, nice quirk.

Loathe: As the Heart Stand of the Donquixote Family, he do not really strike as much as the other executives.

Character: 4/5
    Design: 5/5
    Spoiler:
    Original Stories:
    Hybrid
    Four Swords

The Coolest Uncle Ever The Tenth Strawhat's Avatar

Love: Cora-san is believably one of the best role models in One Piece, and there's a lot of good ones. He's got such a sweet soul, especially when it came to trying to get Law cured from his White Lead disease, and is a master of disguise when it came to fooling his crewmates with his mime act (which compliments his DF power) and dislike towards kids due to being a part of the Marines. Essentially, Cora-san is "what if Mingo's status as a Celestial Dragon never corrupted him", and it works well.

Loathe: I never understood the timeframe for when Cora-san became a Marine and then rejoined his brother in his crew.

Character: 4/5
    Design: 4/5
    The faces of a Strawhat.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tenth Strawhat View Post
    Loathe: I never understood the timeframe for when Cora-san became a Marine and then rejoined his brother in his crew.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar

Loathe (Starting here because I prefer to get the bad out of the way first, and then finish on the good): The only real complaint I can think of that I had about him was the fact that, in response to doctors refusing to treat Law when they were traveling together, dude straight-up destroys hospitals (or parts of them) in his temper. Yes, those doctors were dicks, but there were still innocent people in those hospitals who could have been (and some almost certainly were) injured by that. These were the instances where Roci most resembled his brother Doffy, which is...not how you wanna be, lol.

Love: Pretty much everything else about him. The "heart" was the perfect symbol for him given his personality and impact on the story, and he had a pretty great design. But even better, his personality was just so endearing. You hear all this vague stuff about Doflamingo having a brother, and I remember not knowing what to expect when I was reading through Dressrosa, and got to his chapters, and...he just completely won me over. He was a nice guy with a tragic backstory, but still had his flaws and quirks so that he wasn't "too perfect" (most particularly, his clumsiness, which was hilarious). He was badass, but not actually in the standard way where he has super-cool fighting skills; instead, he had a relatively tame Devil Fruit, but managed to be very clever in his use of it and combine that with decent fighting skills, and bravery to the point of audacity, to be badass. He also successfully managed to take a completely f*cked-up kid who was dying and hated the world, and restored his humanity and at least some compassion and empathy simply by being kind to him and taking care of him. His and Law's moments together--and much of Law's flashback as a result--were just brimming with heartwarming scenes and moments thanks to him. Overall, I'd say he's probably my favorite flashback character in the series; he's certainly at least one of them.

Grade:

Love: As with other mentor character, Corazon was highly likeable and his flashback with Law is one of my favourite part of Dressrosa. What I like most about him is his sheer determination to help Law, a kid he barely knows. He tried his best & gave up his life to protect Law from DD's influence.

Loathe: Burning down & destroying hospital. The thing is the majority of the people don't know that the amber lead disease is not contagious. So, it's natural for the doctors to freak out. And the first doctor they met actually consider about the other patients. Corazon could have cause the death/injury of innocent patients. Also, the repeated pain he inflict on Law when they keep getting rejected by the doctors.

Character:4
    Design:4.5

Love: He seemed to be one of the most selfless characters going all across the world to try and find a cure for law and sacrificing his own life and honor as a marine to save law. Just one of the most pure hearted souls out there.

Loathe: His view of doffy as being born evil is kind of ignoring the circumstances and too basic of idea. I feel doffy could have been saved, but corazon thinking it was destiny kind of rubs me the wrong way

Design: 4/5
    Character: 4.5/5
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    Spoiler:

Love: His convictions and strive for what's good.

Loathe: His choices most of all. He was made for Law and to check another point of view from the Tenryubito.

Character:4/5 He's all goody.

Design:3/5 Oda thought how would dress a clumsy version of Doflamingo and he came out, he just didn't wear his clothes by himself.

Love:
    - His name. I am a big Don Quijote fan, so his name alone makes him stand out for me.
    - His fruit. Probably my favorite DF so far.
    - His design. So 80's, so Bowie, so okama-ish.

Hate:
    - His forced quirks. I like how characters in OP seemed to be naturally eccentric while nowadays many of them seem to have a quirk shoehorned into them even if it doesn't harmonically fits into their personality. It's like they have an eccentricity just for the sake of having one, like Vergo.
    - His legacy. I would probably not-dislike him as much if he stood in the plot by himself, but since all his actions were a set up for Law and since Law mentality following his death was childish at best, everything ends up reflecting in Rocinante in my eyes and tainting his character.
    - EDIT: The hospitals. Back when the flashback was being published, I hated Rocinante because of this but somehow I only remembered it now that I read Bellisario's post. It's great that Rocinante was so adamant in finding a treatment for Law and the doctors are the ones to blame for their prejudice, but taking Law to the hospitals even after he knew what the usual response from the doctors was, making him hear from many people he was a monster once and again and again and again while Law was crying and screaming in despair to be left alone... even thought it was a fictional kid, it was still infuriating to go through those pages. Couldn't he simply go to the hospital alone and leave Law waiting for a few minutes and save him from all of that? The worst part is that we are supposed to read that and think "what a great guy".

Character: 1,5/5
    Last edited by .access timeco.; February 7th, 2017 at 04:43 AM.

FC 0147-0584-2654

Love:Really honest and kind hearted character(like most of OP char lol) and his casual clumsiness is really endearing.
    Loathe:Nothing really bad about him.

Character: 2.5/5(for stereotype)
    Design:4.5/5
    “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”

Love: In a world where sacrificing without interests for other people is a rarity I loved him being so unselfish
    Loath: Nothing really.

Character 4.5
    Design 5

One of my fave characters so far, one of the few marine officer likable
    "I'm simply an accident. Why take it all so seriously?"

Nice to see this thread being revived. I remember reading up the old thread and it gave me lots of interesting perspective about the characters.

Love: Grade A design, funny quirks. A kind and compassionate man with a rather brutal streak (which is often overlooked by many). Though Law jokingly said that it was lame, his clever use of his DF was fun to watch and surprisingly effective. The scene where he broke in and stole the Ope Ope no Mi was pure badass and one of the more memorable flashback scenes in the whole of One Piece.

Loathe: Under scrutiny Corazon seems.... jumbled as a character like what Doffy ultimately suffered from. Many pointed out the hospital scene that I actually somehow overlooked, but I'll skim over that. His introduction was him stumbling in and comically falling from his chair, splurting coffee, setting himself on fire and all that quirkiness--- and brutally hitting Baby 5 and then Law. Then somehow he felt some compassion towards Law for his tragic childhood and immediately turns on the Donquixote Family just for him, and is this kind and noble soul too good for this world. I found that personality transformation rather awkwardly handled and really, Oda could have done better, especially with him being a master at writing really good flashbacks and establishing those characters.

There are many questions that were left unanswered about him too. When and why did he decided to become a marine and be the mole in the Family? I get him hating Doffy for killing their father but does he really feel nothing but dislike towards the other members? Why did he act like a mute in the first place?

Character: 3.5/5 feels about right. Despite his flaws the whole Law flashback was a highlight for me in the infamously long and packed Dressrosa Arc.

「 ゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴ 」

Corazon's one of my favourite characters. After the timeskip I was sort of in a One Piece slump, and it wasn't until rereading Law's flashback and properly get into Corazon's character that I was able to get back to reading OP with the same excitement as Sabaody and Marineford saga. I really hope we'll see more of him in a Sengoku flashback.

I mostly agree with what other people have already said so I won't repeat everything, but other stuff I can think of now would be...

Love:
    Funny, compassionate, good devil fruit use, the best thing about Dressrosa. Great flashback mentor.

To me he feels more tragic than some of the other flashback mentors since he died pretty young, and somehow I got the impression that he didn't like himself very much. But still he gave up everything to save one kid, and it was pretty poetic how he was the one who died covered in white.

I also like what his existence does to the story in general, like he brings a more humane element to Doflamingo, his backstory shows a different side on Celestial Dragons, and it's nice to see more fleshed out characters on the Marine side. Plus his design is really cool and it's nice how similar it's to Doflamingo's look.

Loathe:
    I'm not a fan of the "Doflamingo was born evil" thing either. I really liked how Doflamingo's past made it more understandable how he turned out how he did while still keeping him a villain who needs to go down, so it was disappointing to have it flattened to "nope he's just evil". I also find it strange how both brothers are so freakishly tall when their parents were normal height.

Also, while this is more about the flashback than Corazon as a character, I wish we had seen more of Corazon beating up Law. Since Law's hatred of him and eventually coming around was such a big thing, I think it would have been more effective if we got more of Corazon acting in an unlikeable way after his introduction than the characters just saying that he abuses the children (even one panel in Law's growing up montage could have been enough).

I also didn't get why he pretended to be unable to speak. I get that it went with his silence theme as a character, but I never understood the in-story reason for it.

Design: 4.5
    Character 5

Quote Originally Posted by le crystal View Post
    When and why did he decided to become a marine and be the mole in the Family?
    He encountered Sengoku shortly after his father's death and Sengoku pretty much became a father figure to him. And he revealed shortly before his death that his mission as the mole was to prevent the Donquixote Pirates' takeover of Dressrosa.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by le crystal View Post
    Loathe: Under scrutiny Corazon seems.... jumbled as a character like what Doffy ultimately suffered from. Many pointed out the hospital scene that I actually somehow overlooked, but I'll skim over that. His introduction was him stumbling in and comically falling from his chair, splurting coffee, setting himself on fire and all that quirkiness--- and brutally hitting Baby 5 and then Law. Then somehow he felt some compassion towards Law for his tragic childhood and immediately turns on the Donquixote Family just for him, and is this kind and noble soul too good for this world. I found that personality transformation rather awkwardly handled and really, Oda could have done better, especially with him being a master at writing really good flashbacks and establishing those characters.
    He was beating children to scare them off, so they would run away from the Doffy's family. He did that to protect them, not because he was a scumbag.

Corazon:

Love:
    • Willing to go so far for a kid he barely knew to prevent him walking down the dark path his brother went down and allow him to be cured and live.
    • Prioritised a child's safety above his own, even staying alive to keep Law safe after being shot repeatedly and left for dead.
    • He's a lovable goofball
    • Managed to make gloomy guts Law vaguely likable and understandable.
    • Managed to make a rather non combat based fruit pretty badass during his raid on Barrel.
    • Gave Sengoku some much needed fleshing out. Surprising how little we knew about him considering he was Fleet Admiral for years
    • Showed not all Celestial Dragons are irredeemable.
    Loathe:
    • Corazon's luck was awful. Felt like no good deed went unpunished. Felt like he'd been touched by Baccarat repeatedly with the chain of unfortunate events.
    • I get that Law is a D, but I feel like Baby 5 and Buffalo could have also done with big bro Rosinante looking out for them too?
    I find it a bit difficult to hate Corazon. Even his violence towards children was only to scare them away from joining Doflamingo and going down the dark path. Sure, he nearly killed them, but a scare like is what is needed to test their mettle in a world that is kill or be killed.
    His pretending to be mute made sense to me; he's such a klutz if he opened his mouth he'd have messed his mission up years prior to Law and it let him listen to Doflamingo's plans without having to keep an act up.

"Love and Loathe 2: Love and Loathe Harder"
    One Piece characters exploring outside options when One Piece is on break...

Quote Originally Posted by Dahaka. View Post
    He was beating children to scare them off, so they would run away from the Doffy's family. He did that to protect them, not because he was a scumbag.
    That's an interesting interpretation and I could see this happening. But that doesn't discount the fact that he does have a bit of violent streak in him (not saying you are) despite being a fundamentally kind and compassionate character. Its an interesting side of him.

「 ゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴ 」

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information