+ Reply to Thread
Page 214 of 214 FirstFirst ... 114 164 204 212 213 214
Results 4,261 to 4,279 of 4279

Thread: Dragonball Discussion Kai: Broly but this time it's not Broly

Default Re: Dragonball Discussion Kai: Broly but this time it's not Broly

Quote Originally Posted by Kizuchan View Post
    But then, they had opportunity to expand and fix a lot of the stuff in the BoG and RoF remakes, but with RoF especially they didn't really do anything too big, even if there were a few changes.
    They didn't really though. That first chunk of Super was famously underbudgeted and rushed, while all the talent was working on other projects.

Under good circumstances where Toei treated one of their flagships like the gem it is, yes, they had opportunity to expand and flesh out. In practice.... not really.

That's what I said. There were some minor changes and additions (I liked that Goku was in his base form when he was shot), but in the end they basically did nothing.

The budget was actually likely very large. The number of animators and animation supervisors used for all of Dragon Ball Super was very high due to the lack of time for whatever key animators they could scrounge up to animate the horrible Yamamuro Tadayoshi character models. Tate Naoki was basically breaking his back trying to work on as many episodes as possible to help with action cuts because he was the only good key animator willing to work on the series regularly at the time. Everybody else saw the writing on the wall with the schedule (not to mention Yamamuro) and stayed away for the most part. It wasn't until Hatano Morio took over as the series director that he was able to increase the quality of the series and even then the good bits of animation were very few and far between.
    Avatar: Igarashi Kyou (married name: Hasumi Kyou) from the web comic 性転換後、親友と (Seitenka-go. Shin'yuu to) by Eroe (Pixiv; Twitter) | Gender bender is love! Gender bender is life!

Do you think a new series would do considerably better if it had these new character designs, if say, they once again had to deal with a messy schedule?

I think they look much better and obviously seem to allow for much more freedom, the animator-friendliness seems obvious, but how much would that help with a tight schedule? Having a good schedule is obviously very important, too, but how big of a part do these designs play? Does it still ultimately come down to time in the end?

I didn't actually expect Cooler to be added.

Wait, weren't all reveals in pairs? And there was another character in the leak as well.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Wait, weren't all reveals in pairs? And there was another character in the leak as well.
    I dunno. I only remembered seeing base Goku and Vegeta. Then yesterday they revealed Cooler. I think there's one more in the wings but I dunno who. Some people say 17. But I dunno.

Considering they got 7 already correct. I'd bet that 17 is the last one.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Do you think a new series would do considerably better if it had these new character designs, if say, they once again had to deal with a messy schedule?

I think they look much better and obviously seem to allow for much more freedom, the animator-friendliness seems obvious, but how much would that help with a tight schedule? Having a good schedule is obviously very important, too, but how big of a part do these designs play? Does it still ultimately come down to time in the end?
    The designs are easier to animate in general, but people actually like Shintani and if the series director has connections they'd be able to work on the series, too. Yamamuro's known for bad designs, bad corrections (that make animators better than him look worse) and bad directing. If Shintani was the character designer for a new series at the very least he wouldn't repel animators. If an animator likes the designs and staff they're most likely to hop on, even if the schedule is tight. Dragon Ball Super having such a roadblock in Yamamuro being a bad designer (not to mention a known backstabber) is going to hurt your production.

I'd be pretty horrified if Shintani was only taking over for the films. These designs are so animation friendly with how clean and easy it is to follow the lines that they'd make even simple shots in a TV series look nice. Every time I look at Yamamuro's Gokuu pants I cringe. The lines are impossible to follow and make no sense!

It also helps that Shintani is a part of the current generation of young Toei Animation stars. He's much more likely to be able to ask guys like Watanabe Koudai or Oonishi Ryou to work on a new series.
    Avatar: Igarashi Kyou (married name: Hasumi Kyou) from the web comic 性転換後、親友と (Seitenka-go. Shin'yuu to) by Eroe (Pixiv; Twitter) | Gender bender is love! Gender bender is life!

It's not really someone predicting characters as much as it was people data mined the game and found all the data for the upcoming characters (the last one being a standalone 17)

They opened a story and character menu and dropped a bunch of character designs and movie screenshots on the official site.

http://www.dbmovie-20th.com

They all look really nice. I actually don't mind the cast selection because Beerus, Whis, Bulma and Piccolo pretty much got nothing to do in the ToP arc so if they all have roles to some extent I'm pretty happy. Freeza was one of the more entertaining parts of the ToP, too.

What I am worried about is how Krillin and Gohan will be written out if they really don't have roles. Will they really nullify all that development from Super? There *are* ways to write them that don't take away their development.

They opened a story and character menu and dropped a bunch of character designs and movie screenshots on the official site.

http://www.dbmovie-20th.com

They all look really nice. I actually don't mind the cast selection because Beerus, Whis, Bulma and Piccolo pretty much got nothing to do in the ToP arc so if they all have roles to some extent I'm pretty happy. Freeza was one of the more entertaining parts of the ToP, too.

What I am worried about is how Krillin and Gohan will be written out if they really don't have roles. Will they really nullify all that development from Super? There *are* ways to write them that don't take away their development.
    They'll probably just be at work.

I figure that and people will probably interpret it as character regression. So annoying to read that stuff.

The whole idea with Gohan is that he should be able to do both.

I figure that and people will probably interpret it as character regression. So annoying to read that stuff.

The whole idea with Gohan is that he should be able to do both.
    Toriyama has so little interest in Gohan that he's luck with all the bones Dragon Ball Super has thrown his way.

I really don't think it's a stretch to just say "The events of the movie happen so fast that Gohan and Kuririn don't have time to notice and join" or Gokuu and the others keep things to themselves since they don't consider there to be a huge threat here.

In the end all that matters is if the movie's entertaining. It just has to do something entertaining with all the characters.

Herms translated the bios on Twitter.

-Piccolo, Beerus and Whis don't have much new to them in the bios.
    -Goku wants to get stronger after the ToP.
    -Bulma is looking for the Dragon Balls on her own accord for a mysterious reason.
    -Vegeta is vary of Freeza being revived.
    -Freeza wants revenge on Goku. (So anyone doubting, he's still a villain)
    -Green skinned girl hijacked a Galactic Patrol ship and is hiding in Freeza's army because of it.
    -Broly's and Paragus' motives of coming to Earth are a mystery.
    -Blue-skinned old lady is Freeza's "caretaker" who nags him and gets away with it.
    -The orange guy with the hat is an old Freeza army member there since King Cold lead it.
    -The small yellow guy made the equipment (scouters, weapons, armour) for Freeza's army when King Cold was leading it.

So far we know that Cheely(from lychee) is on the run from the Galactic Patrol and has a run in with Broli. We also know that Broli's intentions are being kept a mystery. I wonder if maybe Broli and Cheely are in some way both trying to outrun their pasts?

It actually turns out Broly is secretly a Pokemon.

Kinda sad not to see Krillen and Gohan. However if all that happens to them is an ass kicking its not that bad.

You know the manga might just distinguish itself if it gives Gohan a good fight in the next chapters.
    Life flows on. I'd just go with it if I were me.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information