+ Reply to Thread
Page 217 of 217 FirstFirst ... 117 167 207 215 216 217
Results 4,321 to 4,336 of 4336

Thread: Dragonball Discussion Kai: Broly but this time it's not Broly

Default Re: Dragonball Discussion Kai: Broly but this time it's not Broly

right, I knew it was *something* to contrast with the food pun.

Fun fact, the English dub actually just SKIPPED the first half of GT and started with the action stuff... then went back in later to do the wacky adventure stuff.

The lost episodes or something like that

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Fun fact, the English dub actually just SKIPPED the first half of GT and started with the action stuff... then went back in later to do the wacky adventure stuff.
    Well, more like the first 16 episodes (out of 64). I believe their claim was that the early episodes were boring.

In Germany most episodes were heavily cut because the airing station decided it was too violent and 13 episodes weren't aired at all!
    It's the main reason why i haven't seen a lot of GT to this day and only know some story details.
    3DS FC: 0748-2376-4827

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Well, more like the first 16 episodes (out of 64). I believe their claim was that the early episodes were boring.
    And yet the same bunch was content to leave the Garlic Jr. Saga alone.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    Just taking a page out of Ocean's playbook with some of the Gohan centric episodes which were more depressing than boring.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

That was shortly after they'd taken full control of the rights and started recording in their own studio and they had stopped cutting content, as opposed to how the first 52 episodes (made out of about 67 episodes) had worked.

Also, I think they wanted/needed the breathing room that filler arc gave them to put in time to dub the entire Android arc in one go. I think it all released in one batch (albeit it over two months because it was like 70 episodes.) That's when the property was hitting its full heat and they wanted every episode they could milk.

But then they looked at GT and saw how it might hurt the brand.

What will always, ALWAYS boggle my mind is that they took the Saiyan saga filler episodes... and cut out Gohan and the Robot, (which was Nozawa's favorite episode) while leaving in the HFIL episode, where they had to go into every single shot in the episode and digitally paint over their shirts. That would have been such an easy episode to cut.

Also, they did things like leave in fake Namek.... or treat Tree of Might as three episodes that were slotted into the regular rotation. Just... why?

What will always, ALWAYS boggle my mind is that they took the Saiyan saga filler episodes... and cut out Gohan and the Robot, (which was Nozawa's favorite episode) while leaving in the HFIL episode, where they had to go into every single shot in the episode and digitally paint over their shirts. That would have been such an easy episode to cut.

Also, they did things like leave in fake Namek.... or treat Tree of Might as three episodes that were slotted into the regular rotation. Just... why?
    That was Ocean, wasn't it? I mean, they did a lot of things that made no sense, like Bardock being a "brilliant scientist" or Goku believing Vegeta was the one who killed his grandpa.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    That was Ocean, wasn't it? I mean, they did a lot of things that made no sense, like Bardock being a "brilliant scientist" or Goku believing Vegeta was the one who killed his grandpa.
    Nope, it's *always* been Funimation with the DBZ rights (but not original DB). Ocean was just the VA studio and distributing. Then with season 3 Funi bought their own recording studio in Texas and struck out on their own to try and get ALL the profits... including hiring random hobos off the street to be inappropriate VA's and having like 4 guys cover the entire cast.

Ocean then continued their own dub because of Canadian laws requiring X amount off Canadian work on a tv show, but they used the exact same scripts. (Why Funi didn't just keep the Ocean VAs at that point since they were doing it anyway is another choice I will never understand.)

But if you compare the credits the staff is pretty much the same except for the VAs and composer.
    Last edited by Robby; September 4th, 2018 at 07:58 AM.

Nope, it's *always* been Funimation with the DBZ rights (but not original DB). Ocean was just the VA studio and distributing. Then with season 3 Funi bought their own recording studio in Texas and struck out on their own to try and get ALL the profits... including hiring random hobos off the street to be inappropriate VA's and having like 4 guys cover the entire cast.

Ocean then continued their own dub because of Canadian laws requiring X amount off Canadian work on a tv show, but they used the exact same scripts. (Why Funi didn't just keep the Ocean VAs at that point since they were doing it anyway is another choice I will never understand.)

But if you compare the credits the staff is pretty much the same except for the VAs and composer.
    Huh. Well that is interesting how things changed aside from the VAs once Funi did the dubbing themselves. Like how the let up on the censoring (no more "another dimension" deaths), they got new background music, and they changed the title cards.

I think they let up on the censoring for three reasons.
    1-they couldn't afford to digitally edit stuff anymore
    2-trying to keep up that pretense with Frieza slaughtering everyone and Guru's natural death and Vegeta climbing out of his grave and all that stuff would have been a nightmare to work around.
    3-They knew they were going to air on Cartoon Network at 4 in the afternoon, as opposed to Saturday mornings at 7 am. Different audience and they knew it.

That was shortly after they'd taken full control of the rights
    Well, for DBZ anyway; most of the Dragon Ball films and Pilaf story were held by Kidmark until 2008 or so.

That will always, ALWAYS boggle my mind is that they took the Saiyan saga filler episodes... and cut out Gohan and the Robot, (which was Nozawa's favorite episode) while leaving in the HFIL episode, where they had to go into every single shot in the episode and digitally paint over their shirts. That would have been such an easy episode to cut.

Most of those early episode edits were mandated by Saban so who knows what the strategy there was. Presumably it was because the robot sacrificed itself to save Gohan and a thinking machine blatantly dying was a bridge too far for them.
    Complicating things since 2009.

God I remember having my Dad record every episode on VHS for me each night of the "new uncut missing episodes" of DBZ airing I believe in the summer of 2005. And it was mostly those Saiyan arc fillers.

Also to add to that "funi hired people off the street" I think I remember Sean Schemel saying on Rob Paulsen's podcast that he got the job from a listing in the paper, though I could be remembering that wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

Quote Originally Posted by Md-Martin View Post
    Also to add to that "funi hired people off the street" I think I remember Sean Schemel saying on Rob Paulsen's podcast that he got the job from a listing in the paper, though I could be remembering that wrong.
    Yeah, I wasn't exaggerating. They didn't get professionals, they just got whoever would work for below minimum wage and could do a vague impression of the Ocean actors. The initial run they really did have like 3 guys voicing ALL the characters. (It's hard to find those credits now since they've gone back and redubbed them since and branched out the VAs so credit is all over the place... you'd have to go back and look at the actual tapes of the time.) None of them were talented enough to actually pull it off. Having just 1 woman wasn't so bad because Bulma and Chichi were the only extended female part for that first year,

And nearly 20 years later we're STILL stuck with Schemel's complete lack of grasp on Goku, and retard lisp King Kai.

Nope, it's *always* been Funimation with the DBZ rights (but not original DB). Ocean was just the VA studio and distributing. Then with season 3 Funi bought their own recording studio in Texas and struck out on their own to try and get ALL the profits... including hiring random hobos off the street to be inappropriate VA's
    Well shit.

Most of those early episode edits were mandated by Saban so who knows what the strategy there was. Presumably it was because the robot sacrificed itself to save Gohan and a thinking machine blatantly dying was a bridge too far for them.
    Seems kind of weird in light of what happened to that Dinosaur.....and Goku, Chaiotzu and Piccolo.
    Last edited by Green_vs_Red; September 6th, 2018 at 01:03 PM.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information