Page 222 of 223 FirstFirst ... 122 172 212 220 221 222 223 LastLast
Results 4,421 to 4,440 of 4452

Thread: Dragonball Discussion Kai: Broly but this time it's not Broly

Default Re: Dragonball Discussion Kai: Broly but this time it's not Broly

Easily my favorite DB movie.

Hidden:

Not surprising. I'm just glad for a non-saiyan lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    Easily my favorite DB movie.
    SAME. It was way better than I thought it would be.
    My favorite films of all time - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest; The Apartment; The Shining; Rear Window; Casablanca; All About Eve; Amadeus; Stalag 17; The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence; Key Largo; Ball of Fire; Alien; Dr. Strangelove; The Good, The Bad and The Ugly; Vertigo; Jaws; Punch-Drunk Love

Well, more Dragon Ball Super: Broly news. It's number 3 in the Weekend Box office. I have to say that's great news, since there haven't been anime movie to do this well since like Pokémon: The First Movie.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...illion/.142330

Saw the Broly movie. First half was way more of a movie than I was expecting. Bardock special isn't really canon anymore, if it ever was, but I'm mostly okay with that. At least partly because that means we can also now sfully ignore the follow up special where Bardock goes back in time and becomes the original super saiyan, that was just super dumb.

ANimation was fantastic, and there were some good music cues in there.

Not really spoilers but just to be safe
    Spoiler:
    So... they keep mentioning Vegeta's brother Table, that weakling from the anniversary special a few years back. They did it in the show and here, but I have to imagine they're in no hurry to bring that terrible character back... so why not just ignore him and pretend he never happened, especially if they're officially cancelling out old movies and anime filler now? Also, what happened to the two or three other saiyans that were in that group with Vegeta and Raditz?

I liked the Dragonball wishes and how they called back to original Dragonball.

Broly is an actual honest to god real character now. Finally. And I really liked the new characters introduced that hung out with him. Cheelai and Lemo? Lychee and lemon?

Paragus still gets no respect.

Second half was a real drag tho. I love me an action scene, and that was really well animated, but it was 40 minutes or an hour of just punching and giant energy blasts with no real sense of ebb and flow or breaks, and that gets old.
    Doesn't help that everyone has a million different transformations now and they've never really been clear on the difference between super red and super blue, or how those scale compared to super 2 or super 3... so the stakes don't work quite as well as they did in the original movie when it was JUST Super Saiyan.

And... I know that at this point Goku and Vegeta are leagues beyond everyone else, so I'm fine with not wedging in a token Krillin and Roshi appearance or whatever... but it being JUST Goku and Vegeta fighting Broly doesn't feel as epic as Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Trunks, and Piccollo all giving it a shot at the same time. Gohan should have been capable of at least trying, and the androids. I know pacing issues always prevent extended casts from doing things in the tie in movies for any anime franchise, but still.

Also, really, REALLY wish the damn *trailers* hadn't blatantly given away the ending. I did like the very end bit though.

So now the question is, is the anime going to come back and have to readapt this storyline now? And if it does, will it do a better job than the first two movie recaps did? Or are they just going to do movies for a while?

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Broly - Yeah, Broly doesn't have much personality to speak of and his motivations for hating Goku are beyond stupid, but I still think this was a pretty serviceable film. I mean, it's not like many of the other DBZ movie villains are exactly bursting with personality. One thing that really struck me as odd though was Vegeta's uncharacteristically defeatist attitude.
    Well, in context, that's when Super Saiyan was still important, and "the Legendary Super Saiyan" had some weight to it. Vegeta kind of had a similar reaction when Goku showed up on Namek and wrecked the Ginyus. ANd he wussed out completely in the presence of Beerus. It's in character that he's afraid of his childhood legends. Mostly.
    Last edited by Robby; January 20th, 2019 at 05:30 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Spoiler:
    Director Nagamine Tatsuya explained in an interview that he wanted Super Saiyan God to focus on technique while Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan was all about raw power. Blue never quite got a big showing where we got to see how incredibly powerful it was until this movie so I'm really grateful for that.
    Avatar: Igarashi Kyou (married name: Hasumi Kyou) from the web comic 性転換後、親友と (Seitenka-go. Shin'yuu to) by Eroe (Pixiv; Twitter) | Gender bender is love! Gender bender is life!
    Julie | She/Her | Pansexual

Spoiler:
    I really liked what they did with Paragus.
    Most of Broly's control issues were probably caused by his overbearing and overprotective father constantly forcing him to repress his innate Saiyan fighting instincts and depriving him of anything that resembled fun.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    Spoiler:
    I really liked what they did with Paragus.
    Most of Broly's control issues were probably caused by his overbearing and overprotective father constantly forcing him to repress his innate Saiyan fighting instincts and depriving him of anything that resembled fun.
    Spoiler:
    Yeah, I really liked that. King Vegeta even mentions it. It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy. King Vegeta's treatment of Paragus caused it. He could've chosen to kill them, but instead chose to "put them in their place" by treating them like lower class Saiyans while trying to get rid of them. You get why Paragus is the way he is, but he's also horrible and shitty, which is what made Broly's Super Saiyan transformation work for me. I wish it would've been lingered on more, but as it is, I still felt it. Paragus was also killed the same way he killed Beets as sort of a karmic punishment. There's a bunch of depth in here.

Broly's transformation is an interesting contrast to Goku's in general because the one he cares about isn't a good guy.

By the time Broly is SSJ (even by the time he taps into the Oozaru power considering Goku's comment about his mouth blast), he 100% is a danger to the Earth. So you get why Gogeta is so serious when he is fighting him by the end, but you also understand Broly's situation.
    Last edited by Kizuchan; January 21st, 2019 at 12:49 AM.

Soundtrack spoiler?

Turn your headphones alllllll the way up.
    Spoiler:
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

So is Freeza now like, the new Orochimaru?

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    So is Freeza now like, the new Orochimaru?
    No. Orochimaru you could make an argument that he reformed.

He's like a still actually threatening Pilaf? Idk. DB hasn't done something like this. When shounen stuff makes previous villains more comedic it usually removes any of their competency, but Freeza is as much of a villain as ever, if not even more smarter and efficent.

Maybe Crocodile if he'd successfully blown up Alubarna?
    Complicating things since 2009.

I like this new Broly. He's better than old Broly. That's not a high bar, but at least we're moving forward. He loves his abusive dad, might have a girl who's a friend, and likes to drink water. That's a character all right.

This was a fun movie. Frieza continues to be used to great effect.

Spoiler:
    I was stunned by BerryBlue. This is a minion that actually seems to actually get Frieza's mindset, and knows him to the point she can actually poke fun at him without getting murdered. This is something I never thought I would see.

I also loved that break in the fight where Broly pummeled Frieza as a distraction for the Fusion dance, albeit unwillingly. My theater broke out laughing.

How can Freeza even have his genocidal warlord job anymore
    Isn't there like, canonically, only a pitifully small amount of inhabited planets in the universe

Well, to counterbalance boring Jiren being the next DBZ fighterz, the other DLC character coming out with him? Videl! With Great Saiyaman as an assist?

Videl is cool, but Jiren? Broly again? Gogeta?

Bring in Caulifla!

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3762-9083

And apparently, we'll have two Brolys. Which makes me think if they even planned this properly, like, when they introduced Old Broly, wasn't the movie in development? Couldn't they have waited a little bit for New Broly, the one that everyone will be talking about in the foreseeable future? And instead of Old Broly, add Kefla? Which, btw, I guess now has no reason to appear in the game anymore (unless developers want THREE Brolys?).

I mean, the game's good and everything (though far from stellar. . .what a terrible single player experience; when will they learn from the Mortal Kombat/Injustice developers in that regard??), but with another Goku/Vegeta fusion, boring Jiren, Goku and Vegeta base/SS/SSGSS, the (I fear) inevitable appearance of MUI Goku. . .the roster could use some variety.

Also, does that teaser imply Season 2 will have 6 new characters, and they already announced 4? So. . .only 2 left?

Edit: It doesn't look particularly good when your game only has 3 female characters, and 2 of them have a male assist filling up 50-60% of their movesets. Videl still looks great, not gonna lie, but. . .
    Last edited by kouch_lee; January 28th, 2019 at 03:14 AM.

Yeah, that was weird, showing everything so soon.

There are still some characters who might make it, like demon king picollo, Kefcla or however the girl's fusion is named, Grandpa Gohan, Roshi, Young Goku with his monkey king moveset of clones, the staff and the cloud, Dodoria/Zaabon, 19/20, Dabura/Babidi, anyone else from the tournament of power who isn't a female super saiyan feels like a waste of a spot, and still haven't seen Broli movie to see if the female alien does something fight worthy.

Of course you could go full "powerlevels are bullshit" and add the earth savior, Mr. Satan, or that janky Bulma moveset that involved guns, capsules and jetpacks, or even outside dragon ball with Arale (who seems to be absent from Jump Force, the heatens), Neko Majin and Jaco, or the ones that don't exist in dragon ball, like someone from sandland, cowa or the like.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information