+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr. Stone

Default Re: Dr. Stone

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Of course he's a shonen hero, they can only breed in very specific circumstances, they are like pandas.
    lol right.
    Yeah, genetically, it's not a *problem* to breed with someone technically related to you but separated by several hundred generations (only even conceivable with some sci-fi preservation element), but you know they'd still make a joke or two about it in the story.

But if Byakuya was a wandering survivalist leading a band of astronauts around the ruined world (well, buildings are still standing, but no people) 3700 years in the past, then why is Ishigami Village still at the, um, shithole stage of civilization? They know stories about Pikachu but they don't know what magnets are? Or how to turn grain into flour? The astronauts had some mixed-up priorities.

Oh. Also- the oral tradition of the 100 Tales also tells us that there has to be a direct link to a person who was alive circa 2000 A.D. (and it has to be Byakuya himself, since the 100th story is his story!), which kind of rules out Byakuya planting the seeds for civilization but then dying before new generations were born/un-stoned.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

I'll take your word for it, I don't trust ms translation, for these kind of details, like turning every human to every human on the face of earth, but I trust yours.
    Yeah the text is pretty clear on this one. It's *all of humanity* on the *surface* of the earth. They even put emphasis dots in this latest chapter (on "earth's surface") to make the whole point about people in space.
    Last edited by CCC; January 12th, 2018 at 09:12 AM.

Maybe the tribe was bigger at some point, but it split and had a war, killing off most of the people and muddying the stories of the past.

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3762-9083

Maybe Byakuya wrote a diary that was passed around after his death, and then lost, and after that only oral traditions remained?

I also wonder how many astronauts were in space at the moment of the stoning. There's the possibility mankind had advanced a little further than we have and they already had hundreds of people in space (which would make the return trip and inbreeding problem easier to solve). But so far their "past" has been indicated to be a lot like our modern day, aside from that whole stone incident.

I mean, Trump in the White House could've just been a throwaway gag, but I like to pretend that's a canon indication that the petrification happened in 2017 in *our* reality with *our* current technology.

...Which admittedly puts a crimp in my cryo-sleep theory.

Quote Originally Posted by CCC View Post
    a wandering survivalist leading a band of astronauts around the ruined world
    I enjoy Dr. Stone and all, but can we get this story instead? It sounds great.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    "The Terrestrian"
    Andy Weir writes, featuring Matt Damon (w/Clooney, Sandra Bullock, McCounaughey, Neil deGrasse Tyson, and Hiroyuki Sanada as Byakuya); growing potatoes using human feces as fertilizer still features heavily.

"The Terrestrian"
    Andy Weir writes, featuring Matt Damon (w/Clooney, Sandra Bullock, McCounaughey, Neil deGrasse Tyson, and Hiroyuki Sanada as Byakuya); growing potatoes using human feces as fertilizer still features heavily.
    Leaked footage of dramatic scene where Tyson's rational scientist character argues over McConaughey's astronaut farmer type's application of folk wisdom to survival:

Hidden:

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

It seems like evry popular series gets it's own spin-off manga so maybe the Dr Stone spin off will cover Byakuya

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    That's not what I expected, but I guess it makes some sense. I wonder if there were other ways to survive the petrification. An astronaut surviving indicates that unless you're on the moon it's impossible to escape it, but only astronauts surviving would cause some severe inbreeding. Maybe people who were underground, or protected by certain materials? Or maybe their petrification wore off earlier.
    This is straight up Planet of the Apes minus the light speed time travel. I love it lol.

I think that I called Senku's dad being important because he was cool and had his face hidden.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Yeah. !
    I'm more than happy to admit I was wrong for an awesome development like this! Besides, I was still right about Magma being defeated in the semifinals to deviate from the shonen tournament formula. :P

Right...so...the sisters' blonde hair/blue eyes is as good as confirmation that breeding happened between the International Space Station people. So it wasn't *only* Byakuya who made it back to earth in a daring mission without ground support. 3,700 years is a long time though, so how did they avoid inbreeding (since the village doesn't have knowledge of the miracle fluid, or science in general; Chrome is a outlier)? And why is the village as small as it is when 3.7k years is enough time for something like 150 generations? Annnd...if Byakuya really founded the village weeks/months/even a few years after his space launch, wouldn't there still have been modern tech and buildings lying around? Not enough time for all of that to erode.

All this evidence points to some anomaly in the timeline that we don't know about yet. Something that delayed Byakuya's founding of the village until, say, a few hundred years before the present (looking at the village, it's conceivable that 10-20 generations have come and gone). Narration tells us he didn't turn to stone in space, but maybe the astronauts went into cryo-sleep for a few...thousand years? Until...systems detected that latent magical radiation on earth had dissipated and it was safe to return? Something has to explain it.
    Oh boy, this might even be more like Planet of the Apes than I thought lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    Planet of the Apes without the... apes?

...That actually sounds a lot cooler than I thought!

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar

I usually read the official Viz translation on mondays but this thread was so lively that I went ahead this week. And I wasn't disappointed. A great answer and a number of new questions to solve. I wonder what this series brings next. It has been just great so far. This and Neverland have really revitalized Jump for me. Cheers y'all.
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn. (Socrates (Σωκράτης) method to enlighten people, ca. 500 BC)

If this delivers to all the space stations returning to earth and not just Senkuu's dad, i'm ok with this.
    Nothing exists; even if something exists, nothing can be known about it. Even if something can be known about it,
    knowledge about it can't be communicated to others
    . Even if it can be communicated, it cannot be understood.

Breaking news: official Dr. Stone twitter account posted a correction for today's chapter.
    The kanji in Byakuya's name shouldn't be "white-night" but rather, "hundred-night(s)".

Plot implications ahoy? Or just a mild connection to "1001 Arabian Nights"?

Why didn't they gone with Hyakuya then?

Spoiler:

The ordinary rules of kanji pronunciation go out the window when it comes to names. Basically, any possible pronunciation that could ever exist in any context is fair game.

I was pulling for a loose allusion to Chinese constellation white tiger thingy Byakko, but that seems less likely now :P

New chaps out.

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/...en/0/43/page/1

Well, we now know who Kohaku and Ruri were descended from.

I can already point out the ancestors of Ginrou, Kaseki and the Gems.

Spoiler:

So, hard incest or partial solutions to the stonification proces or soft incest delayed through making sure to maximize biodiversity with these 6 adults?
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

welp, the phrases "hard incest" and "soft incest" are now in the Dr. Stone thread, so, thanks manga

It's a science series, and the question of "how a 6 person population can lead to a small village 3k years in the future" has to be addressed.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Hmm. Well we know this hit everyone who was outside. But what about people in structures that had no exposure to air? Like deep inside buildings or underground?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information