+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Stone

Default Re: Dr. Stone

Quote Originally Posted by tatermoog View Post
    Since you're the resident expert, has there been any sense if this is a manga with a definite contained story-arc, a la Promised Neverland, or is this a "general sense but wing that mother" type? Fine with either, since I'm mainly in it for the fun characters.

Mainly curious because he's been moving through the Village/Tsukasa storyline at a pretty fair clip.
    Probably the latter.
    I say that not based on plot-based contextual clues (besides the very grand goals, which could admittedly be accomplished quickly with some massive timeskips), but more because the series is doing really well, numbers-wise, and because it seems clear that Inagaki + Boichi + Kurare are just having a blast with it. And we have to imagine the anime announcement is just around the corner, which always boosts sales further, giving more incentive to keep it going. It would take an author with a very specific vision to say "nah I'm still ending it in exactly X books, on my terms" at that point. Which seems to be the case for TPN.

From the start, people have been forecasting that it would end when Tsukasa got beaten, but that always felt a little myopic. The way things are going, Tsukasa might turn out to be the Vegeta of this series (villain-> reluctant ally whose worst crime is only *attempted* stone murder since Yuzuriha saved them all anyway; only current timeline deaths were Hyoga's goons, killed by Hyoga), with more big bads along the way, the final of which will be the intelligent being(s) behind the petrification. In the meantime, there's pretty much unlimited potential with the "have problem -> need invention -> gather resources -> create" formula, which I ain't complaining about. They will need to expand geographically, though, which is exciting to think about :)
    Last edited by CCC; September 11th, 2018 at 07:13 PM.

The thing is that Dr. Stone has used very well the forward momentum that each situation has used, from get our bearings -> kill the lion -> get tsukasa to not kill people -> escape tsukasa -> save ruri -> dismantele tsukasa's tribe -> ?

The set up is to exile Gen and Senku, to reset their lab in another place, and get back to lower stakes.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I tended to think Tsukasa was the first major stepping stone rather than the primary antagonist, so yeah, I think CCC is right (and my assumptions have been for a while that he could be redeemed as long as my additional theory that Yuzuriha was saving everyone was correct).

And as for larger plan, I'm personally hoping for the sandbox theory, where there's a sense but no real constraints on the plot. Some of these series--and yes, TPN is among them--get really cramped when they're trying to get from A->B->C

I'm still waiting for someone to climb a big tower to identify all the nearby points of interest.

Pure speculation, but I'd guess we'll see 2-3 more big bads, each embodying a different kind of philosophy. I'd expect us to see an evil science user at some point, but a Planet of the Apes style villain would be awesome as well.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Evil science user...?
    Senku and Chrome have a ideological falling out...??
    It's like Luffy vs. Usopp except with two Usopps...???

Yes please.

I cant help but feel Ukyo could be an antaognist. Guy clearly has his own agenda going on. Steal the Science secrets for his own?
    Oh hey, I do videos on figures and manga and stuff: https://www.youtube.com/thatmanhismerch

Hidden:

I'm starting to question whether or not Tsukasa'll be the final boss. Assuming this is even going to have something akin to that.

I feel the final boss has always been whatever cause the stonefication in the first place

I wonder if there is a sort of "Institute" buried underground somewhere.
    "Danger is my middle name."

Great chapter, but hysterical imagining the inevitable anime attempt to do it.

Oh god, why the reporter had to be like each page worse than the last one??!?
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Waiting to break the game MrBits's Avatar

A billion things happening at once in a short amount of time has got to be one of my favorite shonen tropes when done right, and this is one of those times! I got so giddy reading this!

I can't remember, is this the first time we've seen those Sound Bombs before?
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBits
    Place your bets. Is [AlphaMale/AlphaBro, an obvious ban evader] going to get banned again today, tomorrow, or in a week?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaBro
    okay let's bet . Would love to see your losing face next week !
    An actual bet and conversation on the Chapter 905 thread, literally an hour before he got banned again.

Drawings have some problems with female characters and oversexualization and the like, but, for a shounen, Kouhaku's pretty cool.

Now we've got some... DY-NO-MITE!
    "Danger is my middle name."

Amazing chapter. I love how much is getting done in each chapter too. The 20 second thing and the fight this chapter felt like tons were going on in short chapters.
    Oh hey, I do videos on figures and manga and stuff: https://www.youtube.com/thatmanhismerch

This chapter was da bomb. Problem now is keeping the cave even if Tsukasa retreats for the moment. This might become a season 3 Beast Wars where the heroes have to live there in order to keep the cave safe.

NNID: jervinnectar

The battle is over.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

Generally like the breakneck pace of this manga, but this is definitely one where the plot could be given a little room to breathe.

Waiting to break the game MrBits's Avatar

Agreed. I would have liked a full chapter of digging shenanigans.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBits
    Place your bets. Is [AlphaMale/AlphaBro, an obvious ban evader] going to get banned again today, tomorrow, or in a week?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaBro
    okay let's bet . Would love to see your losing face next week !
    An actual bet and conversation on the Chapter 905 thread, literally an hour before he got banned again.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information