+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 862: The Intelligent Ones

Default Re: Chapter 862: The Intelligent Ones

I asked this in Totalnd thread: but does anyone think that Big Mom just grabs the soul of her husbands, and then mixes it up with her own to form her babies?
    Hidden:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post
    Try out my first game! All feedback is welcome, enjoy and thanks. Heroine: Kiku
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    As much as this arc doesn't seem to deserve it, I am going to give Oda the benefit of the doubt here.

Maybe Pudding memory powers are at play here? She was bullied because she was different, so she used her powers to make BM think she was her daughter. When she found out that wasn't enough for BM to like her, she used the powers again to make BM think the third eye was useful having the power to read poneglyphs.
    I too think Pudding's memory powers are important on this issue. There are too many incoherences for her powers to not be the cause of a few of them. I specially like your theory about her ability to read poneglyphs being made up. Do the three-eye tribe actually exists?

Is the third eye, like the third nipple in Mallrats?
    Hidden:
    Hidden:

I don't think I have a choice but to clock this chapter as my favorite.
    Will someone tell me how to make a signature already? UGH!

User of the Gumdrop Rifle Rocko52's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pRopaaNS View Post
    Yeah, to me injuries are just neccesary evil for characters to prove and showcase their strength.
    But dignity and respect on battlefield? I respect characters when they have their own morals, but I don't expect it for granted and neither I expect for them all to share same morals if they have any. I think it's very subjective topic to begin with.
    As for the idea that women are kept out of having "intense bloody passionate brawls", I myself actually wouldn't go as far to glorify the fights. The way I see it, when it happens, what shines is characters are showing their will to prove themselves in spite of situation they're in, not the beating each other up part. Also I don't see how it is "showing respect", can you explain that part to me?
    I get that I'm being a little exaggerated - but when I say characters receive "dignity and respect" on the battlefield, I'm referring to how the narrative treats them, not how other characters necessarily respond to them. What I mean is that One Piece is a "battle shounen," where creative and exciting fight scenes are a cornerstone of the series. In a series like this, characters showing their conviction/personality/drive etc through battles is an important part of the story. Oda plays with this concept and sets these violent confrontations in a whole number of ways, but nevertheless characters battling each other is a staple. In a world with characters of this power & a series where fights are so central, it just seems like the female characters are placed on a lesser pedestal when they aren't allowed to be a part of that. Obviously there are other hugely important parts of the series & characters - such as character design, personality interactions & developments, plot threads, etc but its inarguable that these marquee end-of-arc battles are a very important part of the series' structure & appeal

I asked this in Totalnd thread: but does anyone think that Big Mom just grabs the soul of her husbands, and then mixes it up with her own to form her babies?
    As in the whole soul?

Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    As in the whole soul?
    Well no, part of it also works, 4.5 months each. Pound might be the exception but I doubt he was the only one left alive.
    Hidden:
    Hidden:

Pudding was made fun of for her Third eye until she got her memory powers and manipulated everyone into forgetting she had it or forgetting that is was weird. Sanji was the only person who didn't make fun of her for it and need his memories changed and genuinely complimenting her. We will gain more information on this in the coming chapters I'm sure. Very rarely does Oda hide information like this to keep a surprise element but whenever he does he goes on to explain the significance in upcoming chapters.

So Katakuri has the Normal CoO... Plot wise he can use it on things that arent important...

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko52 View Post
    I get that I'm being a little exaggerated - but when I say characters receive "dignity and respect" on the battlefield, I'm referring to how the narrative treats them, not how other characters necessarily respond to them. What I mean is that One Piece is a "battle shounen," where creative and exciting fight scenes are a cornerstone of the series. In a series like this, characters showing their conviction/personality/drive etc through battles is an important part of the story. Oda plays with this concept and sets these violent confrontations in a whole number of ways, but nevertheless characters battling each other is a staple. In a world with characters of this power & a series where fights are so central, it just seems like the female characters are placed on a lesser pedestal when they aren't allowed to be a part of that. Obviously there are other hugely important parts of the series & characters - such as character design, personality interactions & developments, plot threads, etc but its inarguable that these marquee end-of-arc battles are a very important part of the series' structure & appeal
    Okay, but to me it's weird angle to look from. I don't think that putting a character on pedestal is done to make him more aspiring and role model in any way, because that's done for villains too. I'm pretty sure it's done for plot purposes, not for some hidden agenda to spread ideals.

Pudding shows her true colors this chapter
    Will someone tell me how to make a signature already? UGH!

Out the top of my head:

Luffy vs Big Mom
    Sanji vs Katakuri
    Jinbe vs Smoothie
    Rest of the alliance members vs rest of Big Mom's crew

Also Brook can take care of all the homies (save for Big Mom's) in an instant

CAN'T WAIT

Quote Originally Posted by MetaMario View Post
    Photo link is broken

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Sigh. This was pretty much exactly what I feared would happen from a “Sanji in a forced marriage!” setup.

Apart from him not learning a damn thing and Oda recycling Viola, what baffles me is that Oda already had a perfectly valid foundation for a Pudding/Big Mom schishm, which was hinted at in the earlier flashback: Pudding doesn’t like being a piece on Big Moms chessboard, like Lola once was. But instead of building on that, we now get the completely new revelation that being bullied for her looks turned Pudding evil. Despite being in literally THE MOST INTENTIONALLY DIVERSE CREW ON THE PLANET, Pudding, who is Big Moms favourite, who showed off her eye to Big Mom no problem a few chapters ago, who has possibly the single most important (potential) ability in the crew, got bullied for her looks? At this point in the series a third eye is small potatoes in terms of design, and in this arc, of all things? Totland is a mashup of Willy Wonkas chocolate factory, Alice in wonderland, and some of the more out there Silly Symphonies, and it just happens that its most conventionally attractive resident is so insecure about her conventional attractiveness that Sanji can shatter her personality by paying her a superficial compliment? Despite her personality being pretty much pure sadism? She even says "Take a good look at the horrible sight of my third eye!!" Screw that.

Besides that whole unfortunate business, I can’t help but be disappointed that Puddings Evil Conspirator potential just got seemingly nullified. I can’t fault the manga for not adhering to my preferences, but as is, it looks like we’re ending up with Big Mom as scheming villain and Vinsmokes as hapless victims. I mean, If this is played completely straight, and I’m supposed to care that boring Reiju and her crap family gets saved from eeeevil Big Mom….I wont.
    On it's own how much does this pudding reveal take away from the arc for you? Where was it befoore and if it goes like yoou think where will it end up. How could oda subvert your expectations again?
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

How come so many seemingly 'bad' female antagonists become 'good' after interacting with a Straw Hat and breaking down in tears. Nami, Robin, Viola, Rebecca and Pudding from the top of my head.

Actually it seems like most female characters have a weak spot for the Straw Hats in general. Or maybe Oda just thinks that it's natural more female characters break down. I think that Pudding has a good backstory but loses a lot of impact due to the lack of build-up and the fact we've seen it so many times before.

Quote Originally Posted by dropper View Post
    How come so many seemingly 'bad' female antagonists become 'good' after interacting with a Straw Hat and breaking down in tears. Nami, Robin, Viola, Rebecca and Pudding from the top of my head.

Actually it seems like most female characters have a weak spot for the Straw Hats in general. Or maybe Oda just thinks that it's natural more female characters break down. I think that Pudding has a good backstory but loses a lot of impact due to the lack of build-up and the fact we've seen it so many times before.
    Rebecca was never bad
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Long John Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    Rebecca was never bad
    You could also argue Viola since in her case she was more held hostage.

translated-ShiningDarkness

Dogtooth is still an idiotic translation of Katakuri.

Yes, I know the roots of the word in the specific type of violet that has potato-like roots.

It's still ridiculously overreaching.

So glad jaimini's box is this fast nowadays.

O.K. now:

Luffy + Capone vs Big Mom
    Sanji vs Katakuri
    Jinbe vs Smoothie
    Pedro vs Baron Tamago
    Caesar vs Perospero
    Brook vs Amande
    Carrot vs Galette (although Carrot might probably be too strong for her)
    Chopper vs Mont d'Or
    Capone pirates we don't know about vs Big Mom pirates we don't know about

Characters I don't know who to match against: Judge, ichiji, Niji, Yonji, Smoothie, Vito, Pekoms, Gotti, Chiffon, Nami.

Notes:

- Nami can use Zeus' and Prometheus' powers to get rid of most weaklings fast.
    - Brook can get rid of most homies (save for Big Mom's) instantly.
    - Jinbe should be able to resist Smoothie's abilities by having a perfect control over his body water.
    - Sanji specializes on CoO, just like Katakuri.

21st Century Schizoid Man S.C. Amigo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli View Post
    O.K. now:

Luffy + Capone vs Big Mom
    Sanji vs Katakuri
    Jinbe vs Smoothie
    Pedro vs Baron Tamago
    Caesar vs Perospero
    Brook vs Amande
    Carrot vs Galette (although Carrot might probably be too strong for her)
    Chopper vs Mont d'Or
    Capone pirates we don't know about vs Big Mom pirates we don't know about

Characters I don't know who to match against: Judge, ichiji, Niji, Yonji, Smoothie, Vito, Pekoms, Gotti, Chiffon, Nami.

Notes:

- Nami can use Zeus' and Prometheus' powers to get rid of most weaklings fast.
    - Brook can get rid of most homies (save for Big Mom's) instantly.
    - Jinbe should be able to resist Smoothie's abilities by having a perfect control over his body water.
    - Sanji specializes on CoO, just like Katakuri.

If it took Luffy nearly a whole day and with Nami's help to beat Cracker, Sanji is not going to beat Katakuri.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information