+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 862: The Intelligent Ones

Default Re: Chapter 862: The Intelligent Ones

Sigh. This was pretty much exactly what I feared would happen from a “Sanji in a forced marriage!” setup.

Apart from him not learning a damn thing and Oda recycling Viola, what baffles me is that Oda already had a perfectly valid foundation for a Pudding/Big Mom schishm, which was hinted at in the earlier flashback: Pudding doesn’t like being a piece on Big Moms chessboard, like Lola once was. But instead of building on that, we now get the completely new revelation that being bullied for her looks turned Pudding evil. Despite being in literally THE MOST INTENTIONALLY DIVERSE CREW ON THE PLANET, Pudding, who is Big Moms favourite, who showed off her eye to Big Mom no problem a few chapters ago, who has possibly the single most important (potential) ability in the crew, got bullied for her looks? At this point in the series a third eye is small potatoes in terms of design, and in this arc, of all things? Totland is a mashup of Willy Wonkas chocolate factory, Alice in wonderland, and some of the more out there Silly Symphonies, and it just happens that its most conventionally attractive resident is so insecure about her conventional attractiveness that Sanji can shatter her personality by paying her a superficial compliment? Despite her personality being pretty much pure sadism? She even says "Take a good look at the horrible sight of my third eye!!" Screw that.

Besides that whole unfortunate business, I can’t help but be disappointed that Puddings Evil Conspirator potential just got seemingly nullified. I can’t fault the manga for not adhering to my preferences, but as is, it looks like we’re ending up with Big Mom as scheming villain and Vinsmokes as hapless victims. I mean, If this is played completely straight, and I’m supposed to care that boring Reiju and her crap family gets saved from eeeevil Big Mom….I wont.

Quote Originally Posted by Dranza View Post
    So imagine as an actress you've been rehearsing how the play ought to have gone and then on the day of the play the other person doesn't say their line (or give the right reaction that you expected them to) you'd be a bit taken aback no? Especially if it's something so unexpected as a compliment of something you were made to feel ugly for your entire life. I can see that it might be a bit soft and overused when it comes to Oda but it's certainly a believable reaction from Pudding, if nothing else.
    Exactly, unless you are a good enough actress you will stammer for a few seconds. That would mean she would of had to be in a very similar situation multiple times. I compare it to those old Highlight books where you see two pictures and you think wait a minute something isn't right. I don't know what isn't right but something isn't, give me a minute and I will figure it out.

A lot of people are complaining about the Pudding part, but lets wait to see how things end up first. Perhaps we have a fight between her Nami as well as Reiju. I don't think Oda will try and redeem her, so much as show she was thrown off for a minute. Hence why she said I still must kill you. I know it has been a long time since I was in elementary school, but kids do still make fun of other kids just because right? I mean if the news tells me anything is kids are still bullied just for any reason, you are wearing red shoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by SunnyBlue View Post
    I can understand Chopper facing discrimination among the human population.
    But Pudding being discriminated in WCI where everyone look bizarre & consist of different races? What? And she was one of Big mom daughter & people still dare to bully her? A third eye is apparently too weird in WCI??
    Feel like forced drama where Pudding will really fall in love with Sanji & turn good. It's the Viola situation again. Oda will probably spin it to show how Sanji's kindness was a good thing.
    I would love for Pudding to fall in love with Sanji but still be evil, a la Batman and Catwoman. I love Batman but I just can't help stealing and breaking the law. LMAO.
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMario View Post
    Like I'm sure everyone has said, three eyes are the thing that creeps out Big Mom? When most of her roster is filled with eccentric looking children and associates? Even in the OP world in general, a third eye should be small potatoes in terms of "freak people".
    #notmypudding
    I think BM being creeped out by the third eye is getting overblown, I am going with the backstory that Pudding was adopted. BM is not known for being the picture perfect mother, so in saying that I would expect any bad mother to say what they are feeling even if it hurts their kids feelings. I think back on the first Xmen movie when Bobby Drakes mom finds out he is a mutant, his mom is like have you ever tried not being a mutant. His mom was clearly weirded out by it, also it's not like we have BM saying it over and over. The first time she sees it she is weirded and moves on past it after that, as far as we know never to have issue with the three eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by le crystal View Post
    I don't know. While its quite a twist to see this side of Pudding it feels a bit... forced. I get that its trying to draw some similarities between Pudding and Sanji (outcasts in their respective families) but it still doesn't work for me.

Also please no Pudding redemption but I trust Oda to not go down that route. Hopefully.... *glances at Hancock sideways*
    Baby 5 got off scot free by virtue of having a sad backstory (and being cute), despite being a top commander in Doflamingos evil crew. I think Pudding is going to be quite safe.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Besides that whole unfortunate business, I can’t help but be disappointed that Puddings Evil Conspirator potential just got seemingly nullified. I can’t fault the manga for not adhering to my preferences, but as is, it looks like we’re ending up with Big Mom as scheming villain and Vinsmokes as hapless victims. I mean, If this is played completely straight, and I’m supposed to care that boring Reiju and her crap family gets saved from eeeevil Big Mom….I wont.
    I don't think the point is to care about the germa in general, but about reiju and sanji,jimbei you can care since evillllll BM plans to kill them. Maybe Reiju is boring, but she did save the main character's life the second she got introduced.

And anyway, I don't know why some people had hopes for secret villain with yonkou around in his home. Totland, home of BM...but this arc the secret villain is some random evil country oda didn't even mention in 800 chapters or one of her 80 kids. While yonkous sit at the top of the NW and are part of the world balance. Even warlords like croco boy and moria are better rated then germa.

Yeah, this chapter has quite some issues. I agree with Daz and Underworld here with the main issue Pudding as Daz poined out.
    Forum user Bartholemew Bear passed away in a very moving and touching way. I, ARTEMlS, therefore carry on the Will of DArth for good unto its final fulfilment.

One of the best arc, one of the very best chapter since long time. Great, I love it !

Quote Originally Posted by RobZilla View Post
    To be fair, do we even know that Big Mom is actually having sex with x amount of husbands and not just sperm jacking them in some way?

For the number of different races alone the logistics boggle the mind.
    For some reason this only dawned on me until now, perhaps these aren't her biological kids but people who have either married into her family, have abilities she needs, or are strong. Similar to Whitebeards crew calling him dad.

Wow, what an awesome chapter. I am glad that the Luffy oversleeping bit didn't drag on and his entrance was perfect. Nothing like a pre-battle nap!

Sanji dodging that attack was great! I can't wait to see this scene animated. Here's to hoping they do it justice!

I can't wait for next week

I look forward to the essay length "hot takes" on this Pudding development

Clearly, it isn't Oda's style to make a "cute" girl evil. We may not like it, but thems the breaks.
    I started a blog about Harem Anime right here! https://dewbond.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by KzTxL7 View Post
    I wasn't distracted by Lucy being half naked.

You won this week Fairy Tail.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmetal-lich View Post
    I look forward to the essay length "hot takes" on this Pudding development

Clearly, it isn't Oda's style to make a "cute" girl evil. We may not like it, but thems the breaks.
    Pudding is "evil". Having reason to do bad things doesn't excuse doing them.

Of fucking course. Of course sexist Oda couldn't follow through with a beautiful evil female character getting what she deserved.

Just like Hancock before her, Pudding was defeated by love. Such is the fate of all pretty female antagonists in OP.

Quote Originally Posted by carcanclaw View Post
    Of fucking course. Of course sexist Oda couldn't follow through with a beautiful evil female character getting what she deserved.

Just like Hancock before her, Pudding was defeated by love. Such is the fate of all pretty female antagonists in OP.
    And there it is. The first shot fired.

May the hundred plus page debate commence.
    I started a blog about Harem Anime right here! https://dewbond.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by KzTxL7 View Post
    I wasn't distracted by Lucy being half naked.

You won this week Fairy Tail.

Pudding's castration isn't much of a loss for me. At this point, the only person whose motivation I can wrap my head around is Bege, and I don't think he's ready to assassinate big mom. I wish the threat to Baratie had been handled better. The transition from simple pirate crews to criminal organizations with unlimited powers of surveillance and reaches far beyond a given territory isn't entirely convincing. I would have much preferred a cut-scene where-in some new big-shot underling of Big Mom is sent to East Blue to make the threat more palpable. At least then I could sympathize more with Sanji.

Of course, that would only be a small step in the right direction. Big Mom's motivation for concocting this entire convoluted plan is extremely suspect; none of the motivations have been fleshed out very well.

Miss Valentine's Day? Miss Doublefinger? Kalifa? Monet?

Spoiler:

Yes, and Robin's backstory was fake and she just had fun hanging out with CP9. Nami's mother died a cute painless death(her brains didn't get splattered out, just a cute hole on her forehead, because that's how I fill off-pannels in my imagination) and Nami working for Arlong pirates was just a fun adventure. Hancock never suffered, she just had kicks and giggles beign slave.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Let us not also forget Catarina Devon.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Miss Valentines Day got oneshotted with zero aftermath, Miss Doublefinger and Kalifa fought Nami, who isn't a physical fighter (they get a little scuffed-up looking when she defeats them, they aren't outright beaten), and Monet was spared by Zoro for being a woman in one of the most infamously controversial fights of the series.

I think the expectation, upon seeing Luffy declare that he would kick Pudding's ass, was a punch to the face similar to what every other arc antagonist gets (or what Sir Charloss got for shooting Hachi). Oda seriously can't show women getting into a physical fight, the kind the guys get into constantly, where they end up looking really fucked up and unattractive by the end.

Praise the Sun Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Quote Originally Posted by Nekketsu View Post
    Let us not also forget Catarina Devon.
    The op said beautiful

Or maybe you're into her, I wouldn't know.
    Spoiler:

Sanji and Pudding were on the cake that just blew up lol.
    And I do wonder how Sanji will react to this huge waste of food. It used to be a big deal to him, but it may just get ignored or played off as a gag.

Praise the Sun Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Miss Valentines Day got oneshotted with zero aftermath, Miss Doublefinger and Kalifa fought Nami, who isn't a physical fighter (they get a little scuffed-up looking when she defeats them, they aren't outright beaten), and Monet was spared by Zoro for being a woman in one of the most infamously controversial fights of the series.

I think the expectation, upon seeing Luffy declare that he would kick Pudding's ass, was a punch to the face similar to what every other arc antagonist gets (or what Sir Charloss got for shooting Hachi). Oda seriously can't show women getting into a physical fight, the kind the guys get into constantly, where they end up looking really fucked up and unattractive by the end.
    To be fair, if I'm looking to watch women get into brutal, physical fights I'm not gonna read Japanese boy's manga
    Spoiler:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information