+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: One Piece 863: The Consumate Gentleman

Default Re: One Piece 863: The Consumate Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by SirCaesar View Post
    Youtubers are just clickbaiting. It is undoubtedly the worst media.
    Gotta love the LUFFY HAS A NEW POWER?!, ONE PIECE REVEALED!, etc. titles.

Baywatch got nothin' on me The Tenth Strawhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeorn View Post
    His DF doesn't seem that amazing but he CAN use Armament Haki with his fruit and managed to both injure and capture Luffy at the same time. Oh, and he can see the immediate future and snipe with jelly beans. If he catches someone with his fruit so they can't move and snipes them it is over.

His attack showed power and range (Luffy-esque), and then to top it off if he lands one hit his opponent can't escape without water. I certainly wouldn't pick a fight with him.
    I reread the chapter to understand want you meant and you may be right. I didn't even think of Armament Haki when Katakuri kicked Luffy with his DF power and just assumed it really hurt Luffy regardless of his rubber body.

Knowing this plus all the other stuff he can do just made Katakuri ten times cooler in my eyes.
    The faces of a Straw Hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraco View Post
    I think he was referring to mom
    No he was replying to Jinbei who reveals his powers and talks about its weakness, using his future seeing powers.

Also I think he covers his mouth because he's conscientious about what people say about it and it pisses him off hence him saying "stop analyzing every little thing about me" might have a further meaning somewhere down the line. You can see the stitches appear either side of his face coming up from his mouth. He probably kills everyone who makes a comment about it too.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tenth Strawhat View Post
    I reread the chapter to understand want you meant and you may be right. I didn't even think of Armament Haki when Katakuri kicked Luffy with his DF power and just assumed it really hurt Luffy regardless of his rubber body.

Knowing this plus all the other stuff he can do just made Katakuri ten times cooler in my eyes.
    When you have some mastery over your devil fruit I think you can clad yourself in haki whilst retaining the properties of your ability, like the stickiness in Katakuri's case. Like when Luffy goes gear fourth but still has the rubbery-ness, didn't doflamingo comment on this when he kicked him and the attack bounced off or something?

Year of Sanji, let's go!

Quote Originally Posted by Dranza View Post
    When you have some mastery over your devil fruit I think you can clad yourself in haki whilst retaining the properties of your ability, like the stickiness in Katakuri's case. Like when Luffy goes gear fourth but still has the rubbery-ness, didn't doflamingo comment on this when he kicked him and the attack bounced off or something?
    True, it does make sense. Its just that I've never seen a Logia user who can use their fruit in tandem with CoA (unless Smokey somewhat counts). Yeah, Mingo commented on Gear Fourth's hardened rubber.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmetal-lich View Post
    If I had a nickle for everytime Forneverworld or another youtube fan says "BEST CHAPTER 2017" or "BEST CHAPTER OF TIMESKIP!"

I'd have a fuck ton of nickles.
    He is a big joke.

Quote Originally Posted by BinSquarr View Post

EDIT: Also, comparing Smoothie's interaction with Mont d'Or (with Monty effectively holding the power in terms of intelligence, at least, administrative control) to Katakuri's intervention, the gap between the sweet commanders seems huge. Katakuri has some real initiative, beyond clairvoyance, whereas, Smoothie has shown herself to be a bit sloppy, at least, little more than a thick juicer. I'm sure Oda has more in store for her, but so far, she's been quite uninspiring.
    Well what do you expect with Oda?

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmetal-lich View Post
    If I had a nickle for everytime Forneverworld or another youtube fan says "BEST CHAPTER 2017" or "BEST CHAPTER OF TIMESKIP!"

I'd have a fuck ton of nickles.
    To be fair, this probably is the best One Piece chapter of 2017 so far, or at least to me. The only real competition was naptime with Big Mom. Best since the timeskip is just plain wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    Oda will make up whatever convenient plot circumstances are necessary for Big Mom to be vulnerable. If we are to learn about Pudding manipulating Big Mom's memories in, say, an Elbaf marriage flashback, there's all sorts of factors that could be at play to make it possible. Oda will do whatever he wants to make sure the plot flows how he wants to build-up stuff. Like having Luffy reel in a random poisonous fish and recklessly eat it so Reiju can be introduced and have an excuse to show off her poison sucking abilities. Or Pudding happening to be Bond villain monologuing when Sanji is visiting her room, as well as bragging to Luffy and Nami about killing Sanji at the wedding for no other reason besides sheer arrogance, because the plot deems it necessary for the Straw Hats to have ample knowledge to prepare a plan for the wedding. Or Kaido's introduction and meeting the Kid Alliance in general. Or Law's fruit being broken on paper, yet he still gets beaten by Doflamingo and Trebol because of inferior physical stats and without even switching their minds to confuse them. Or Usopp's face being scary enough to make Sugar faint just because.

He doesn't care about power levels, as he makes shortcuts for whatever makes the narrative more interesting as the priority. And Big Mom's a pretty arrogant and petty lady in general, so it's not hard for her family to manipulate. Which they've already been doing by hiding secrets about events that have happened in her own living quarters.
    The idea doesn't even fit with where Oda seems to be going with BM and the Yonkou in general. Big Mom is portrayed as a cunning mafia-esque character. She should really be the one doing the manipulating. And part of the setup of the four Yonkou arc seems to be in portraying the Yonkou as near untouchable power houses. If all you need to control a Yonkou is a somewhat convenient devil fruit it throws the whole power balance of the one piece world into question.

Quote Originally Posted by ARTEMlS View Post
    About memory-manipulating Big Mom, it's really not THAT hard if you're no complete stranger to her. Just wait a little bit until the right moment and then do it. It may not be completely trivial, but also not too farfetched either.
    The whole situation reminds me of Ace failing to kill the sleeping Whitebeard. It all seems doable until you realize that we're talking about a Yonkou.

I mean just look back at how much pain Reiju was in when her memories were being changed. Can you imagine BM just sitting there taking that? It doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by TheStoner View Post
    I mean just look back at how much pain Reiju was in when her memories were being changed. Can you imagine BM just sitting there taking that? It doesn't make sense.
    What if this is somehow tied to Mother Caramel story? (I mean, Oda has to start putting threads together, there are a lot of unknowns about Big Mom). She is a hedonist, and she doesn't look like she is able to handle even the smallest "pain". She can't handle a cake being destroyed, or any disrespect or tax not being paid, and having an invulnerable body could be the cause, if that means she's just not used to pain.
    Maybe she asked Pudding to remove some very painful memory (example: Mother Caramel, a motherly figure, betrayed Mom and she had to kill her) about her, and Pudding took advantage of that opportunity to edit something else.

Quote Originally Posted by BinSquarr View Post
    EDIT: Also, comparing Smoothie's interaction with Mont d'Or (with Monty effectively holding the power in terms of intelligence, at least, administrative control) to Katakuri's intervention, the gap between the sweet commanders seems huge. Katakuri has some real initiative, beyond clairvoyance, whereas, Smoothie has shown herself to be a bit sloppy, at least, little more than a thick juicer. I'm sure Oda has more in store for her, but so far, she's been quite uninspiring.
    Well what exactly do you expect her to do? She doesn't have the Observation that Katakuri does, her fruit is more close-range than his is. Plus, Katakuri's impetuousness has been bad as well as good, like when he shot the priest, and Big Mom's reaction to him stepping in her fight with Luffy indicates pretty clearly that she doesn't appreciate her subordinates stepping out of line, especially when it directly involves her. Smoothie seems to be much more of a planner and strategist than Katakuri was, she even took her time to kill Brook rather than trying to break in and wreck shit in the Treasure Room.

Spoiler:

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheStoner View Post
    The idea doesn't even fit with where Oda seems to be going with BM and the Yonkou in general. Big Mom is portrayed as a cunning mafia-esque character. She should really be the one doing the manipulating. And part of the setup of the four Yonkou arc seems to be in portraying the Yonkou as near untouchable power houses. If all you need to control a Yonkou is a somewhat convenient devil fruit it throws the whole power balance of the one piece world into question.
    At this point, she's more about coercion/intimidation than manipulation. That's even the theme of her Devil Fruit, scaring people into giving her what she wants or else she takes their lives (literally). And she relies on her info network and minions to handle all of the small details, with punishment usually being death. Her flaws have had something coming to her for a long time, like being manipulated by her trump card, the key to making her become Pirate King.

You can be the best manipulator in the world and end up getting manipulated unexpectedly if you're too pompous and overbearing on your tools/crutches. The wider you expand an intricate web, the more dependent you become on each and every strand fulfilling your desired role. If there is even the slightest amount of neglect in a designated role, purposeful or accidental, it can cost the esteemed manipulator their entire house of cards. That is where the Big Mom Pirates are heading (not that I think they will be defeated in this arc, but I trust that you get the idea). It's easy to think that the dynamic is as simple as every crewmate needing Big Mom to protect them, but that also works inversely to show that Big Mom needs every crewmate to cooperate if she wants to stay in power.

And they are not untouchable. Whitebeard got stabbed by Squard, his trusted ally and son. Just replace Whitebeard's flaw of growing old with Big Mom's arrogance and Pudding can easily do a similar type of backstabbing. They're only portrayed as the most powerful pirates. Most powerful does not equate to being invincible. Even Doflamingo would have been erased from the picture if Sugar ever felt like turning him into a toy. And it's not like Pudding is a random nobody. She's extremely close to Big Mom. Hardly anyone can replicate that type of relationship. Every Yonko being invincible all of the time is mad boring as a concept anyways. One Piece has shown that the virtuous way to accomplishing your goals is a healthy cohesion of a crew, not just one person. Luffy has said plenty of times that he is nothing without his crew. The same should apply to everyone, including and especially the Yonko.

"The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke."

Man, everyone loves Bege's face this chapter so much, I'm seeing it everywhere.

​Even in my dreams...

That rampage big mom lasted like 1 second lol, then she is back to normal. Doesn't look like some uncontrolled version, just the normal bm.

Big Mom and cunning? No, in fact she's a simpleton with the mind of a 4-year-old child - as seen perfectly when she woke out after Brooke was switched out.

Hmm, maybe that's like Sugar, only instead of your body your soul/mind doesn't grow anymore.
    Forum user Bartholemew Bear passed away in a very moving and touching way. I, ARTEMlS, therefore carry on the Will of DArth for good unto its final fulfilment.

Quote Originally Posted by uniaka ikuzakas View Post
    That rampage big mom lasted like 1 second lol, then she is back to normal. Doesn't look like some uncontrolled version, just the normal bm.
    The uncontrollable food rampage hasn't happened yet and the picture only just broke. It'll probably begin next chapter.
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. \_(ツ)_/

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ARTEMlS View Post
    Big Mom and cunning? No, in fact she's a simpleton with the mind of a 4-year-old child - as seen perfectly when she woke out after Brooke was switched out.

Hmm, maybe that's like Sugar, only instead of your body your soul/mind doesn't grow anymore.
    I don't think simpleton is the right word here. An overgrown, gluttonous, spoiled child I'll grant you. But I never got the impression she was stupid. She knows what she's doing most of the time. Most of the failures that led to Luffy and Bege getting as far as they did resulted from deliberately keeping Big Mom I'm the dark.

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

Quote Originally Posted by sgamer82 View Post
    An overgrown, gluttonous, spoiled child I'll grant you.
    Then agreed on this! Though the inability to differentiate real and fake Brooke is hard at the borderline to sheer stupidity. With a veeeeery big grain of salt I can see it as affected due still being somewhat sleepy.
    Forum user Bartholemew Bear passed away in a very moving and touching way. I, ARTEMlS, therefore carry on the Will of DArth for good unto its final fulfilment.

Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    That's probably it, which disappoints me a little. Asking a life threatening question makes me assume the choices matter. But Mama might as well have said "Fish or Chips" to Jinbe in a very terrifying voice and nothing would've changed. What is even the point of answering? If Jimbei had just walked away without fear would nothing have happened?
    the whole arc and situation with souls have always been centered around a decision. the first was "life or treat" then "life or leave" and now its "life or cake" and for jinbe "stay or life" all the instances have been about the choice. This arc is about selling your soul to the devil by making deals basically.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis20 View Post
    I thought that was obvious, because Katakuri knew what Jinbei was going to say.
    Not so obvious considering translating mistakes were made before.

And it's a little weird that he'd reply to something that wasn't even spoken yet, unless it's a quirk of his. Which we haven't seen before.

I wonder if Baka-Luffy would work against him. Hard to gauge how much better than Enel's his prediction ability is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    And it's a little weird that he'd reply to something that wasn't even spoken yet, unless it's a quirk of his. Which we haven't seen before.
    He is answering to the future event.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post

Try out my first game! All feedback is welcome, enjoy and thanks. Heroine: Kiku

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information