+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19

Thread: One Piece 863: The Consumate Gentleman

Default Re: One Piece 863: The Consumate Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Kanzan View Post
    For me that was Oda indulging in plot convenience. Luffy's CoO only appears when it absolutely must.
    Disregarding the fact that Luffy's intent was 100% focused on Carmel's portrait, I don't think he'd be able to dodge a massive wall of mochi coming at him at max speed

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by TommyDunns View Post
    Thoughts on this week's chapter
    When Big Mom went into her Hunger Pangs I expected it to be longer
    Morgans is definitely my favourite broker
    Literally laughed out loud at Caesars face all teary eyed.. So funny.
    I loved how prior to this moment Luffy and Big Mom never came face to face and now they are here.
    As soon as Bege had his little internal monologue I knew Luffy was going to announce himself, and the face was hilarious.
    Jinbei is the man, and once again the real MVP Brook steals the show. Man I liked Brook before this arc but he has been absolutely spectacular this arc and really proving his worth as part of the crew.
    Last week I recall that Katakuri had a Steel Club/Mace weapon of some sort, and now he is also a Logia Devil fruit user?
    So he's a sniper, melee weapon, devil fruit user with excellent Haki? Really a jack of all trades.

Excellent Chapter.
    when did he have a weapon? I don't remember that, not disputing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Characters
    Constantine Woe • Captain • Crewname N/A • Markswoman/Inventor• Bounty :23,000,000 • SD Earned : 2400 • Beli : 37,000,500 • L : Romulin
    Strength: 100 | Speed: 50 | Stamina: 42 | Accuracy: 50 | Fortune: 60

Quote Originally Posted by c0nflikt View Post
    when did he have a weapon? I don't remember that, not disputing it.
    From here last chapter
    Spoiler:

Given its appearance, it's highly likely it was created by his Devil Fruit.

Spoiler:

Was Pedro interrupted by Jinbei? that panel of his seemed random.

The chapter name in the official translation is very fitting for the events at the end of the chapter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post

Try out my first game! All feedback is welcome, enjoy and thanks. Heroine: Kiku

I do like the idea of the tree on the flag being that of King Baum, though maybe aside from just representing him, maybe every symbol combined is supposed represent Linlin as Mother Nature. She gave birth to and has control over the sun, the clouds, plant life and more so uh why not? Seems fitting for an Emperor to control "nature" itself.
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Logia View Post
    Was Pedro interrupted by Jinbei? that panel of his seemed random.
    It's him trying to jump in to help Luffy like he always does, before Jinbe interrupted him.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by BellisarioFaith View Post
    All right, another Monday, another day for comparisons! Not many big ones, but lots and lots of little ones.
    • VIZ chapter name: "The Honorable"
    • After Sanji notes that "it will be decided in an instant", both of the scanlations have him say "I'm counting on you, Luffy!" (so that probably is the more exact translation). However, I actually like the slight change that the official translation did: "You can do it, Luffy!"
    • Both of the scanlations also have Big Mom say "Straw Hat Luffy?! That bastard!", but in the official she says, "Straw Hat Luffy?! Are you kidding me?!"
    • In Mangastream, one of Streusen's workers tells him to run for it because Big Mom's acting "quite dangerously". Jaimini's Box and VIZ are slightly different, with the former saying "weird" and the latter using "strange".
    • Morgans's words about Soul Pocus (since I saw a couple of people curious about it): "That's her Soul Pocus! Whatta scoop! She's going to take their lifespan! She's speaking directly to the human soul's fixation on its own life! If they fear death even for an instant... There! See?!" Also, the speech bubble after that (where we don't really know who's saying it) says "This is crazy!" in MS and "Don't screw with me!" in JB, and reads "This isn't funny!" in VIZ (which sounds, more than the scanlations, like it could be from someone else talking to Morgans?).
    • In MS, when Big Mom is looking for the real Luffy, there's a "sun bubble" that says "Monkey D. Luffy! I remember you!" as though she's currently thinking it to herself. However, in Jaimini's it says "I'll remember you", and in VIZ it reads "I will remember that name", so she's clearly actually recalling her words to Luffy in the past, as the start of the flashback words that continue into the next page.
    • Bege's thoughts are also a little different in each version, rather like with Morgans. VIZ version: "Idiot! It's a diversion! Does she really think she's going to get an answer?! And of course he's not gonna come straight for her!"
    • Though it might be an extra addition, the official translation shows that Vito is the one who responds to Bege, since he notes that they're ready to "lelo-launch" at any time.
    • Big Mom's words after Katakuri attacks Luffy are also a little different in VIZ: "Do you think you're helping, Katakuri?! You're my son--you don't get to call the shots!"
    • Both of the scanlations have Jimbei use the "ocean current lifter" move with the kanji for black tea (as noted in translator's notes). The official translation calls it "Tea Current Shoulder Throw" (instead of "sea current"). Also, Katakuri's following line about analyzing him confused some people; in VIZ, it's easier to understand, saying "Don't explain my powers to them", so he was clearly seeing into the future where Jimbei does exactly that on the next page.
    • Big Mom's words to Jimbei in VIZ more closely resemble those from JB than from MS: "Wait. You decided not to leave me earlier...yet now you're sticking up for the cake wrecker?! Shall I take this as rebellion?!"
    • VIZ interestingly foreshadows the twist about Jimbei not losing any lifespan with his words to Big Mom: "If you promise not to harm anyone aside from me, I will offer you as much of my life as you can take!"
    • Big Mom says to Jimbei in MS "Make your move, fool!", but in both JB and VIZ, says "You've got a deal!"
    • As Big Mom starts to attack Jimbei, both of the scanlations have Luffy comment "she's coming!" or some such, but the official version uses "Hey, what a cheap shot!"
    Tea Current was an inspired choice lmao

The difference professional writers and editors make is enormous. Even in the lines with no huge differences, the readability and flow of the dialogue is so much better than the fan versions. The occasional laugh MS gets out of creatively inserting turns of phrase isn't enough to save them.

I hope with Big News Morgans around Sanji comes to be known publicly as Vinsmoke Sanji just for the added prestige(?) and to spite Judge. I'd love it as well if Sanji got to hold his own against Katikuri and that got reported. Though a part of me is slightly worried that the biggest things that go down might go unreported if Big Mom's haki or weird screech knocks Morgans out. Nah, Oda wouldn't have introduced him in the first place if that was the case.
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by c0nflikt View Post
    I would almost guarantee someone in the crew is going to have a silent thought thinking jimbe will sleep in the fishtank
    Robin most likely lol

translated-ShiningDarkness
    Where condensed shadow meets ultimate radiance. Wherever that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Disregarding the fact that Luffy's intent was 100% focused on Carmel's portrait, I don't think he'd be able to dodge a massive wall of mochi coming at him at max speed
    We also know that Katakuri has specifically honed his observation haki to the limit, and we've been given hints that the person with the stronger observation haki has the advantage in an exchange of blows via projecting or hiding intent (it's not just a binary all-or-nothing intent prediction, or else all haki-empowered battles would be 100% successful dodging).

The explanation for Sanji being able to dodge Katakuri's bullet despite Katakuri's haki is that the bullet itself (unattached to Katakuri) was moving too slowly so Sanji's haki was able to catch up barely in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Tea Current was an inspired choice lmao
    For real, I guess it's about time I give Viz money again, if they have a translator able to deliver that level of original pun.

Also, once again Mangastream is a pile of crap with no excuse for their elitism surrounding their "dogtooth" garbage.
    Last edited by HikaruYami; April 25th, 2017 at 06:45 PM.

Bit late in saying this but... sigh... okay. I'm still not entirely sold on Jinbe, honestly. I might be the last true holdout on the Fish Train, but so be it... still, I am a man who gives credit where it's due, and he was really freaking cool this chapter. Like, really, REALLY cool. One of my biggest complaints was his complete lack of a real Straw Hat moment, and, well, this was it for him. So he has that now.

So, I may be a bit cold to him for a while yet, but I'm much warmer to him now than I was last week.

Now give me a place he fits in the group dynamic that can't be taken up by another character, and I'll really be impressed.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information