+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: One Piece 863: The Consumate Gentleman

Default Re: One Piece 863: The Consumate Gentleman

Mixed feelings regarding this chapter:

-
    The spread is cool, I suppose this is the ultimate legitimization to the digital colored version, huh!? But I don't get why some characters are b&w (I mean, Smoothie is ok because the colorization didn't caught up to her appearance nor she appeared in any color spread. But Borsalino? Lucci? Kanjurou?)

- Ok, this "mirror in the cake" bit was the part that bugged me most. If they can simply sneak mirrors into the party like that, why the whole escaping plan depends on Caesar flying into the party with a mirror so they can leave through it? I swear I am not hating this plot, I actually wanted everything to be as tightly done as always, but god damn the writing in WCI seem keep getting sloppier by the minute.

- And don't even let me get started on no one knowing about Luffy escaping just because Opera didn't tell.

- BM powers only working on people afraid of dying was already mentioned before (almost sure), so I don't think it is a nerf pulled out of nowhere. But still, for all the praise this woman gets from other characters all the time, she is still failing to do anything impressive.

- I love how last week I was thinking "multiple Luffys are perfect to counter Katakuri CoO" and then Luffy instantly throws that away by announcing which Luffy is the real one. Capone's reaction is also priceless.

- Since last week I am under the impression the paneling is kinda off here. First was the part with Pudding breaking down in tears and now the sake cup scene. I mean, the scene was really cool anyways, but I think this is one of those cases when a double-spread would be perfect, it's like Jinbe's badassery was toned down with the scene being swarmed by so many other panels (it almost look like a fan edit).

- The photography BROKE? Huh!? That's... weird. I wonder if there's something up in there.
    Last edited by .access timeco.; April 20th, 2017 at 04:54 AM. Reason: now I read the thread, I feel bad for being the party pooper...

FC 0147-0584-2654

rather chaotic chapter...could have been structured a bit better.

yet another retcon from oda though..now we can have logia who aren't related to anything on natural phenomenons,despite remembering clearly an sbs where he said all of them were...now the candy syrup logia or the paper logia sound dangerously canon

did he really needed to be a logia at all?couldn't he just be a paramecia that produces that stuff like mr 3?

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    It is supposed to be explained this chapter. If you are afraid, she can take some of your lifespan
    I believe that Zar means how her other abilities work. If she can only steal lifespans if people are afraid, then how come she can take lifespans from citizens in a peaceful manner? Can her Devil Fruit actually do anything offensively if an opponent is not afraid besides creating Homies? Stuff like that.

"The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke."

So Big Mom NEEDS to have her target afraid for the power to work? Man, I'm underwhelmed by her. Seems like she's reliant on the homies as well. To top it off, she likely will be immobilized soon. Hopefully she actually does something significant.
    Last edited by NateRich; April 20th, 2017 at 04:55 AM. Reason: It's not because I want heads to roll, I swear. Especially a certain head...

Easy 10/10 chapter for me. I'm hanging out for a better translation though. Bege's "no one'd even dare coming out head on like this anyway" seems to have taken the place of the part of spoilers where he comments on Big Mom not being able to find the real Luffy among the copies, and even if it hadn't, it's a terrible sentence to being with. Plus Katakuri's awkward as fuck "quit analyzing me like that." Mangastream's translator is in dire need of an editor to polish their dialogue up.

(and furthermore, Jinbe's attack being "Kairyuu Ipponzeoi" while they stick to their guns with Dogtooth is absolutely ridiculous)

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    I don't know why, but Morgans screaming "BIG NEWS!" to everything made me crack up. I think that might actually be his character quirk. I love it.
    I don't know if you are familiar with the era, but it reminded me of the 20's when people spoke differently.
    "Yeah see."
    "You'll never take me alive copper."

Funny it just dawned on me how that ties into the Capone and mafia theme since that was the same era.
    Interesting another logia user, can this commanders DF power only be negated with water. I ask because Akainu obviously couldn't be.

To each chapter I'm liking Jinbe even more, he's just awesome. Also, I just found Brook jumping from the cake:

Enjoyable chapter with a really kickass spread, spent a good few minutes looking for certain characters.

Bruffy destroying the picture at the end was probably my favourite moment (Bege's reaction to Luffy is a close second).

I don't feel like Dogtooth needed to be a logia though, since he already had his future sight and jelly bean sniping.

Just seems like a bit of a throwaway power that was put in at the last minute just so we could have Dogtooth restraining Luffy after he was built up so recently.
    "Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" - Auron

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TitanG545 View Post
    Interesting another logia user, can this commanders DF power only be negated with water. I ask because Akainu obviously couldn't be.
    I love everything about the 1920's. Especially the lingo. But I'm not all too sure that "Big News" is a popular phrase for that period. Maybe I'm uninformed though.

And it's funny that you bring that question up...

Spoiler:

lol I'm sure that water can't negate Akainu's Devil Fruit, but Jimbei may still be able to make contact without Armament Haki.

"The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke."

Quote Originally Posted by Maju View Post
    yet another retcon from oda though..now we can have logia who aren't related to anything on natural phenomenons,despite remembering clearly an sbs where he said all of them were...now the candy syrup logia or the paper logia sound dangerously canon
    Actually, the Mochi part is most likely a pun. He turns into an unamed sticky substance.
    Spoiler:
    Original Stories:
    Hybrid
    Four Swords

First off, JINBEI MAH MAN, AN EVENT YEARS IN THE MAKING! AND DAT BROOK.

Second, just a bitchin chapter overall.

And third, just a theory but what if Brook somehow has the power to remove or detach one's soul or life essence with his powers? Thus disabling Big Mom to steal Jinbei's soul? I mean he IS the Soul King, just a thought!

Let's Do the Odyssey! MetaMario's Avatar

Bege's reaction to Luffy announcing the real one was priceless.

Aside from that, I *do* think the chapter turned out better than what the spoilers painted it as (Jinbei <3) but I feel Big Mom needs to do something to REALLY make this plan perilous.

While Katakuri didn't need a DF/it could've been Paramecia, I really have no qualms about it being a Logia. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by NateRich View Post
    So Big Mom NEEDS to have her target afraid for the power to work? Man, I'm underwhelmed by her. Seems like she's reliant on the homies as well. To top it off, she likely will be immobilized soon. Hopefully she actually does something significant.
    considering how op that ability is,it had to have a limitation..otherwise she can kill anyone with a touch, sine we didn't get any roof on how much lifespan she can get.
    also,being a yonkou it also means she has incredible strenght,so you are not gonna see much people that don't fear her at least a little...jinbe has not been afraid of death since we knew him at impel down,it's kind of his thing...same with luffy.

i see only three cases where her fruit can't work

1)you don't care for your life in the first place (jinbe and probably luffy)
    2)you ignore how powerful she is and thus are not scared
    3)you are at a level where you think you can take her..which basically includes the other yonkous only.
    Last edited by Maju; April 20th, 2017 at 05:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maju View Post
    rather chaotic chapter...could have been structured a bit better.

did he really needed to be a logia at all?couldn't he just be a paramecia that produces that stuff like mr 3?
    First, we've already had unnatural DFs since at least Baby 5.

Second, we're on an island made out of cake. It's not that hard to believe that natural mochi exists somewhere in the One Piece world.

Rather than just plain "fear", I think it may have something to do with one's attachment to their own life. The more you afraid of losing it, the more susceptible you are to the Big Mom's life-snatching ability. Jinbe here is not afraid to die in the slightest, which is why he won the bet.

Oops, ninja'd.
    "Where in this frail body do I find the strength to stand up?"

Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    The entire chapter was gold.

The only thing that I don't really get is how Mama's powers works, but hopefully we'll get more exposition on that later.

This arc has been great for Brook and Jinbei. They were descent before but now I've finally fallen in love with them.
    The idea is that if you fear death your soul can be taken but having no fear of death and you are completely content with it means it can't be touched.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Actually, the Mochi part is most likely a pun. He turns into an unamed sticky substance.
    even in that case,how many sticky substances are a "natural phenomenon"?..i mean if you are an insect you can consider the resin that falls down a tree and engulfs you a powerful natural phenomenon,but that's it.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by MrBits View Post
    First, we've already had unnatural DFs since at least Baby 5.

Second, we're on an island made out of cake. It's not that hard to believe that natural mochi exists somewhere in the One Piece world.
    baby 5 is not a logia.

i can partially agree on the second one,very partially though

Quote Originally Posted by Kfunk View Post
    I don't know what is Oda intention when it comes to Pudding. Now she can't even jump from the collapsing cake.
    To be fair, only someone with legs as high caliber as Sanji's could jump from the cake like that. Plus Pudding's in a dress.

Quote Originally Posted by Murcielago View Post
    Vinsmokes looks like they are total idiots. Come on, give us some badass Ichiji.
    They don't even know what's going on. What would they do?

Quote Originally Posted by NateRich View Post
    Big Mom has a ton of raw physical strength. Plus, she's far from the only one who relies extensively on her Devil Fruit powers, just look at our main protagonist lol.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    Rather than just plain "fear", I think it may have something to do with one's attachment to their own life. The more you afraid of losing it, the more susceptible you are to the Big Mom's life-snatching ability. Jinbe here is not afraid to die in the slightest, which is why he won the bet.

Oops, ninja'd.
    Exactly my thoughts too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfunk View Post
    I don't know what is Oda intention when it comes to Pudding. Now she can't even jump from the collapsing cake.
    it's more like "why sanji saved her and why is he not dead yet since now pudding has a clear shot with him being mid air and all"

since i was not a fan of the revelation that pudding was evil (since it opened a whole lot of plotholes in the story), i'm even more disappointed that it was all fro nothing since Oda is going to redeem her like he often does.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information