+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: General Metroid Thread: Samus Returns Primed 4 a Comeback

∞ Samus Returns ∞ Deviant_Mugen's Avatar

Default General Metroid Thread: Samus Returns Primed 4 a Comeback

So, as those of you watching E3 have seen, Nintendo has finally brought Metroid back from the dead with the announcement of not just one, but two upcoming games. The first announcement being Metroid Prime 4 for the Switch, and the second being a remake of Metroid II for the 3DS.

Unfortunately, the Prime announcement was nothing more than a working title card with no other details, but at least it's something to look forward to. As for Metroid: Samus Returns, it got a nice trailer and a lengthy demo on the Treehouse stream. Samus Returns will be a 2.5D remake of Metroid II on the Game Boy, with a bunch of new features, which will be released on September 15th, along with two new amiibo.

Other known details include: Metroid Prime 4 is not being developed by Retro Studios, but by a whole new team being led by Kensuke Tanabe. Samus Returns is being developed by MercurySteam.

Metroid Prime 4 "trailer":

Metroid: Samus Returns trailer, Treehouse segment, official art, and amiibo:

Hidden:

Hidden:

Hidden:

Metroid is back, baby! And it's about damn time. Discuss.
    Last edited by Deviant_Mugen; June 13th, 2017 at 02:24 PM.

Default Re: General Metroid Thread: Samus is Primed 4 a Comeback

I've only played the NES Metroid.

Still really happy for you Mugen (and all of the other Metroid fans!) :D

Oh, Mercury Steam.
    No wonder it stinks a bit of Mirror of Fate, with all those apparent QTEs and postively mehhh 3D environments.

Loving what I'm seeing of MP4, though! It'll be my reason to buy a Switch.
    That's only half sarcasm. The choice to use MP1's title theme got me hooked already.

Quote Originally Posted by MetaMario View Post
    I've only played the NES Metroid.
    Hmm...

Do me a favor and, uh, if nothing else, put Super Metroid and Metroid Prime on your to-do list.

Hehehehe. It's almost like Federation Force didn't happened.
    Spoiler:
    Original Stories:
    Hybrid
    Four Swords

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Hmm...

Do me a favor and, uh, if nothing else, put Super Metroid and Metroid Prime on your to-do list.
    I've heard many good things about Super. Prime, on the other hand, I DID own once, but I only watched my brother play it. Sadly neither of us got any far.

∞ Samus Returns ∞ Deviant_Mugen's Avatar

Seriously, Meta, you need to play Super Metroid and Metroid Prime (and the rest).

Wonder if this will be the one where they do the Sylux plot line they've been hinting at.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Adams
    I have always been dissatisfied, I know that. But lately I find I reek of discontentment; it fills my throat and floods my brain. Sometimes I fear there's no longer a dream but only the discontentment.

Quote Originally Posted by CCC View Post
    Oh, Mercury Steam.
    No wonder it stinks a bit of Mirror of Fate, with all those apparent QTEs and postively mehhh 3D environments.
    The silver lining is that Nintendo is much more leash-tighty than Konami.

Plus, it looks pretty good on the 3DS screen.

I'm so happy we're finally getting a proper Metroid title on a console again!

Well, eventually, anyway. Frankly, I'm just glad we got an announcement at this point.
    Thanks to PirateNeko for the avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by y2kyle89 View Post
    Wonder if this will be the one where they do the Sylux plot line they've been hinting at.
    Holy crap I completely forgot about that! And he was my favorite out of the Hunters bunch.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

I've heard many good things about Super. Prime, on the other hand, I DID own once, but I only watched my brother play it. Sadly neither of us got any far.
    Metroid Fusion is on the Virtual Console, and that's really good, too. I think it's last in the Metroid story chronology, and some events in Super are kind of referenced.
    Metroid: Zero Mission is also on the VC, it's a remake of Metroid. But it has more story and an added on portion to the end.

Something told me the 3DS Metroid was a remake of the Gameboy title....better late than never I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Metroid Fusion is great too.

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

I'm cautiously optimistic about MP4 with Retro not working on it it makes you worry a little.

Metroid Samus Returns looks pretty great!
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

Quote Originally Posted by KaizokuJinbei View Post
    I'm cautiously optimistic about MP4 with Retro not working on it it makes you worry a little.

Metroid Samus Returns looks pretty great!
    Retro changed a whole lot since Prime 3 (and even from Prime 1 to Corruption, the studio was already notably different). Not to say that Retro wouldn't be capable of making a new one, just that if they were it would probably feel very different from what is already there. Other than that they are confirmed to be working on something else and i would gladly accept Prime 4 while also something new from Retro.

It's okay though to feel cautiously optimistic or even worse given what Prime 4 has to live up to, but for that same reason it's likely to believe they know well too. Kensuke Tanabe (the Lore Boy) is still overseeing the project and that means a complete knowledge of what the Metroid universe is in all its forms (most likely even from the manga).

It's also curious how back in January 2016 Nintendo was hiring 3D level designers. Back then it was kinda out of nowhere and with no clues to speculate the reason, but with recent developments (including Tanabe stating how it's in development with a new team), it seems to pointing out Prime 4 was the reason.
    It's also interesting because as of late Nintendo is having a generational shift (which started with Splatoon), and has been confirmed also for Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild with new young developers working on them.

Analyzing these still scarce details, we can conclude Prime 4 has started development sometime around 2016 with this new team of young 3D level designers, and most likely also some others experienced developers. Considering how Retro were also a young and new team at the time, it's very funny and curious how Metroid Prime seems to be the baptism of now two dev teams. We can only hope they will deliver, but i would say the importance of this game should lead to something great and new devs to look forward to. It obviously can also go wrong, but young new devs at Nintendo so far are contributing to some great games.

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CCC View Post
    Oh, Mercury Steam.

Loving what I'm seeing of MP4, though! It'll be my reason to buy a Switch.
    That's only half sarcasm. The choice to use MP1's title theme got me hooked already.
    Hopefully Nintendo are hands on with the M2 remake. All the previews seem pretty positive. I am still quite hesitant about ninty using the studio that essentially killed castlevania with three terrible games though.

As long as they don't put fall damage, make samus a doormat soldier, or make it without samus at all, I think that they managed. Nothing in the gameplay videos jumped as a red alert.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    Pokemon X

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstorm View Post
    Hopefully Nintendo are hands on with the M2 remake. All the previews seem pretty positive. I am still quite hesitant about ninty using the studio that essentially killed castlevania with three terrible games though.
    Only Mirror of Fate was considered terrible. The first was good and the last was mediocre at best.
    Spoiler:
    Original Stories:
    Hybrid
    Four Swords

I thought MOF was considered mediocre whereas Lord Of Shadows 2 was considered terrible.

That being said I like to think that Konami's more at fault for Castlevania's current state of nothing between them whoring it out and putting games out without caring about quality which is how we got Judgment and LOS2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Don't forget erotic pachinko. Never forget erotic pachinko.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    Pokemon X

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information