+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quick Announcement; Forum Rules, Guidelines, Staff

Default Quick Announcement; Forum Rules, Guidelines, Staff

Hey everyone. Quick announcement:
    1. We've received complaints of favoritism and bullying/harassment; we want to address this, and will be revising our rules as a first step.
    2. While discussing things with the staff, we've seen a need for some more active moderation; we may be looking to adjust our roster.
    3. Some of staff members have/may step down in one form or another due to their availability or other concerns.
    Bottom line, we want to address the attitude on the forum, and we think that needs to start with us. We'll be adjusting the forum rules over time to help address this, with announcements on the changes as we go, and hope to move forward with a more positive atmosphere in general.

Consider this an open thread for concerns and/or discussion, but please try to keep things constructive. This isn't the gossip corner and we aren't therapists. Please don't backseat mod.

Default Re: Quick Announcement; Forum Rules, Guidelines, Staff

More active modding would obviously be nice, but I'm personally not aware of any favoritism/bullying/harassment. Might be that I'm not active enough (I read more than post), but if the signs are there it's good that you guys are taking action.

Good luck!

I guess that explains why Robby is Yellow now.

I don't see much favoritism/bullying/harassment going on nor have I experienced much of it lately but this has been going on for many years and the staff have already dealt with this issues many times. But this is much needed.
    Currently writing a book

https://www.facebook.com/redjoekido

Haven't seen much bullying lately, but don't want the trolls take over the forum.Little bit harsh to a newcomer is ok, or else this forum will be degraded to the likes of Oro Jackson....
    “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”

I've witnessed a lot of this in the general sections, especially the news and politics threads. A lot of the members would rather single someone out for having a differing opinion, attacking them just to validate themselves instead of having an active discussion. I suspect certain moderators are also biased.

Hasn't happened to me personally but I can see where/why some people would complain. Hope it works out well for the forum, then.

Think I've only really seen anything like this in the politics thread so it doesn't seem to me like site wide rule changes are really necessary, at least from my perspective, though I don't go in the manga or anime sections so maybe they're there too.

For my part, I haven't seen too much controversy in the Anime threads, but I realized I haven't had my eye firmly planted on them all, so I wouldn't be surprised if at least some problems have gotten passed me. So I'll be making more of an effort with being diligent. And if anyone ever finds an issue there, please PM me and I'll be on it.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Quote Originally Posted by dropper View Post
    I've witnessed a lot of this in the general sections, especially the news and politics threads. A lot of the members would rather single someone out for having a differing opinion, attacking them just to validate themselves instead of having an active discussion. I suspect certain moderators are also biased.
    There might be some centrism-is-wisdom people on this forum but no, implying that the Labour was behind the bomb attack at Ariana Grande's concert to get better rankings in the polls was still a crazy thing to say.
    Last edited by Nilitch; July 10th, 2017 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    There might be some centrism-is-wisdom people on this forum but no, implying that the Labour was behind the bomb attack at Ariana Grande's concert to get better rankings in the polls was still a crazy thing to say.
    That does sound like a particularly horrible thing to say, but that thread is very centrist and has in the past been very elitist. It should have been expected around election time, but a lot of people were treated with little respect and there was serial condescension.

That condescension is all over here and people tend to gang up on others, especially new members. I enjoy this forum and it's culture can allow for a level of conversation that isn't easily found on the web, but man, it can be frustrating just reread how some unpopular opinions are treated and have been for years. There has to be a happy median that preserves the level of conversation, but makes this place more inviting at the same time.

Last thing. I imagine a lot of people who would have readily complained are either gone or just lurk. I haven't experienced much disrespect my way, but I've seen enough that I was delighted to see that it's being addressed.

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

I have seen stuff like this around the forum and am happy at the idea of measures being taken. It's petered out in the manga section where I'm usually at but I still see traces, so it's good that it's being worked on.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    I have seen stuff like this around the forum and am happy at the idea of measures being taken. It's petered out in the manga section where I'm usually at but I still see traces, so it's good that it's being worked on.
    Be sure to report instances of broken rules and/or just awful stuff going down if you see it. We don't catch everything.
    Hidden:

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Quote Originally Posted by Femme View Post
    Be sure to report instances of broken rules and/or just awful stuff going down if you see it. We don't catch everything.
    Yeah, I've tried. Just hasn't been happening as much where I usually go nowadays

Spoiler:

I said no such thing. Why would you actively go so far out of your way to bring something topically unrelated to this thread? Oh right, because apparently it's your job to single people out to justify your own horrible behavior. I must have touched a funny bone.

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    That does sound like a particularly horrible thing to say, but that thread is very centrist and has in the past been very elitist. It should have been expected around election time, but a lot of people were treated with little respect and there was serial condescension.

That condescension is all over here and people tend to gang up on others, especially new members. I enjoy this forum and it's culture can allow for a level of conversation that isn't easily found on the web, but man, it can be frustrating just reread how some unpopular opinions are treated and have been for years. There has to be a happy median that preserves the level of conversation, but makes this place more inviting at the same time.
    A perfect example of of what's happening in this thread as seen above and in areas of touchy subjects. I made a comment saying that the right-wing in the UK would play the terrorist card after the attack (which is what ended up happening), yet somehow this member has came to a complete opposite conclusion. Now Nilitch is using it to berate me on this completely separate thread which ironically is addressing these issues.

You are bringing up a misunderstanding that was clarified in the news thread when it happened. To bring this up again after Dropper clarified his stance at the time is basically harassment and you're the one out of line right now.

http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t...=1#post3786736

The Politics and the News threads will always be a place where disagreements and differing opinions will happen which is why there's always a need for policing by the mods there. However, we expect that people will discuss their disagreements in a civil manner and not drag situations about all over the forum, months later.
    Hidden:

What Femme said. Disagree in those threads (which are inherently thornier places), do it as peacefully as possible, and don't spread the poison to other parts of the forum.

There are always people who have to complain and always people who want to turn discussions in a nightmare.
    As a community the thin line of it being accepted and it making people hate the place, always varies and is a point of discussion.
    Being open about it and and just stop adding fuel would help greatly.
    In the past we had often the case that the process of deleting and banning people was nontransparent so there could room for improvement.
    UnrevealedVegapunk/Ryokugyu/Loki/Rocks/Im-san/C.Gaban
    IslandElbaf/Raftel/GodValley
    UnresolvedWeevil´s plan/Explaining DFs/Deal with Kuma/Bonney´s past/Joy-Boy/Zunisha´s story/Roger/Rocks flashback/Void Century/Rioponeglyph/last ancient weapon/the D.clan
    DFSpider/Wind/Metal/Wood/Acid/Liquid/Time-Stop

The only place I visit is Manga and Spoiler Section. Spoiler topics can sometimes get out of the hand when two opposing opinions clash. Try keeping spoiler topics civil.

Being zealous/harsh against new members is actually a thing that exists in every social groups I think. Because people don't know who the newcomer is.
    And in a community like AP in which some have been around for a decade or more, there might be a caste (yes lol, but yes, right?).

Anyway, I don't see the specific issues here. I don't get if we have to talk about those specific issues or if we just have to agree that we witnessed "those things" ---to be honest.
    And it seems that there is also something about biased moderation, but how can we talk about it though? Do people have to name those mods? Should people bring up things they have/are complaining about? But if they do, wouldn't that break the "This isn't the gossip corner and we aren't therapists" rule ?

In other words, I don't get how it is supposed to be constructive, if we keep being unclear about what we're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Femme View Post
    You are bringing up a misunderstanding that was clarified in the news thread when it happened. To bring this up again after Dropper clarified his stance at the time is basically harassment and you're the one out of line right now.
    Except that I was not bringing it up because I have suddenly turned into a nitpicky boy, but because I thought this was what he was referring to. If not, then okay-- I guess.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information