+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 419

Thread: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

  1. #341

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Guys One Piece's fights are all about getting tossed into walls. It has never proved anything. Let alone the power difference between the ball and the batter.
    Just look at how many admirals Marco sent flying during the war.
    When Oda clearly shows an X-ray of Sanji's leg cracking ok.... but getting tossed back a few meters by that genie dude means nothing.

    I for one see a lot of good stuff from Sanji. He is clearly stronger than his father and most (if not all) his brothers. And they are no pushovers.
    He dodged an attack from Katakuri !!! The dude can see into the future ! He is has the biggest revealed bounty ! What do you even need ?


    As for Smoothie, it's true she doesn't rock a devil fruit as op as Cracker and Katakuri. But I am sure she is full of surprises.

    Ahaha I guess that despite the years I am still an optimistic fanboy at heart
    Last edited by RamistaR; July 16th, 2017 at 11:47 PM.

  2. #342

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Pre ts: proper fights he won with mr2, arlong's fishman, gin, absalom, jabra. Pos ts: 2vs1 fight with jimbei, some small clashes, off panel win yonji, 1 shot sheephead.

    There is clear difference between fighter sanji from pre ts and post ts. He needed 2 years to get weaker.

    And it doesn't help his case that he has same old fire leg thing since EL. Everyone else shows new combat based power ups after the 2 years. Usopp with his plants, nami with better weather powers, franky new body and weapons plus his giant robot, Brook new ice powers, luffy g4, zoro coa swords, air slashes.
    Last edited by uniaka ikuzakas; July 17th, 2017 at 02:36 AM.

  3. #343

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    But name ONE on-panel redeemable trait that Orange Town Buggy, Kuro, Don Krieg, Little Garden Mr. 3, Drum Island Wapol, Spandam, Water 7 Rob Lucci, Jaya Bellamy, Enel, Moria, Hody, and Caesar have.
    I give you one more thing - probably the only other one as you're of course spot on here: However, Moria is implied to have had some compassion for his comrades before they got killed by Kaido.

    Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    As for Arlong showing positive traits during his arc, you make a very good point that it's one positive trait. Just one, but it still counts. Although personally, I think it's shallow. I doubt he has any real personal compassion for those Fishmen. He just values them because of his pride in the Fishmen race, not really for them as people. The only person I see him having real empathy towards is Fisher Tiger, but that's in the Fishman Island flashback years later in the manga. But my subjective interpretation doesn't matter, you made a good point there that he does have one kind of redeemable trait about him. Seeing Arlong tell Jimbei not to hurt an unconscious human anymore is freaking weird though. I forgot about that...
    I agree that it is shallow. Whereas yes, he has some compassion for them, it's only as long as their values and worldviews don't differ from his own. Let's say I'm one of Arlong's goons:

    Scenario 1 - we are eating:
    Me: I'm hungry! Hey, Arlong, give me your portion, too!
    Arlong: You're really hungry today! Here goes! Then I'll be okay with this tiny rest...
    Me: No, I'm REALLY, REEEEALLY hungry. Give me everything!!!
    Arlong: Shahahahahahaha! I see, then sure, just take everything.

    I have no problems imagining Arlong showing empathy and compassion in this scenario. As the problems aren't really conflicting with Arlong's values and worldview here. However...

    Scenario 2 - me and Arlong sitting together and taliking about... well...
    Me: Yo, Arlong!
    Arlong: ???
    Me: I have thought about something...
    Arlong: Shahaha, tell me!
    Me: These days I stumbled upon Nami and looked into her eyes. There were so cold and full of grief and hatred. In that moment it was the first time I felt of her like... a actual person, an actual living being - who has her own feelings as well. And whereas the humans have done atrocious crimes, we are not really better right now... What we did and are doing right now just feels plain wrong! Of course, we cannot never ever undo what we did to her and everyone else, but at least let's let her go! Let's set everyone free and start from absolute zero... Let's treat humans as actual living beings with their own feelings from now on!
    Arlong: ...

    In any scenario like this, where it's really about true empathy and compassion without any conditions, I cannot see Arlong caring in the slightest. If I'd argue further with him, I'm probably dead - plain and simple - despite me eating his portions quite often beforehand without any problems.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    And about Arlong's and Linlin's deals there is one big crucial difference. Whereas Linlin at heart is a five year old womanchild, Arlong is a mature grown up man. For Arlong humans are nothing but tools. They are useful, that's why he makes any deals at all. Arlong is emotionally intelligent enough to fully grasp how cringeworthy his violations of his deal with Nami were. He just didn't give any shit about her as person as she just was a tool whose feelings didn't matter at all.

    Linlin, however, does not grasp any problems in her way of dealing with others. She's still a five-year old ALPHA(!!!) child who is used to completely make her own rules and change them on the spot whenever she feels like it. She does not think that anything, anything at all is wrong with her attitude. She cannot even grasp why someone should even think that something could be wrong with her behaviour. Linlin can learn about that, Arlong on the other hand not - because he knows everything there is to know, but he just doesn't give any shit at all.
    Forum user Bartholemew Bear passed away in a very moving and touching way. I, ARTEMlS, therefore carry on the Will of DArth for good unto its final fulfilment.

  4. #344
    The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Planet Zordoom

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Quote Originally Posted by ARTEMlS View Post
    I give you one more thing - probably the only other one as you're of course spot on here: However, Moria is implied to have had some compassion for his comrades before they got killed by Kaido.
    I knew that would get mentioned, but I don't count that because you can only slightly imply that Moria may have used to be a better person. He has a tragic past, but that doesn't really equate to being a redeemable trait so much as giving him more depth.

    "The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke."

  5. #345

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Quote Originally Posted by mario time View Post
    rip in peace Smoothie
    You know rip already means rest in peace, right?
    Spoiler:
    Original Stories:
    Hybrid
    Four Swords

  6. #346

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    I knew that would get mentioned, but I don't count that because you can only slightly imply that Moria may have used to be a better person. He has a tragic past, but that doesn't really equate to being a redeemable trait so much as giving him more depth.
    It was a trait. However, of course, no present trait as instead it lead to another present negative trait which further proves your point. Not that Moria matters as basically everyone not Arlong doesn't have any remarkable positive trait just as you said.
    Forum user Bartholemew Bear passed away in a very moving and touching way. I, ARTEMlS, therefore carry on the Will of DArth for good unto its final fulfilment.

  7. #347
    Discovered Stowaway mario time's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    saudi arabia

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    You know rip already means rest in peace, right?
    16 char of yep i know

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    this arc is getting boring imo
    i think oda should end it fast and move to wano arc

  8. #348

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Quote Originally Posted by uniaka ikuzakas View Post
    Pre ts: proper fights he won with mr2, arlong's fishman, gin, absalom, jabra. Pos ts: 2vs1 fight with jimbei, some small clashes, off panel win yonji, 1 shot sheephead.

    There is clear difference between fighter sanji from pre ts and post ts. He needed 2 years to get weaker.
    Pre-timeskip: 597 chapters, 23-ish arcs
    Post-timeskip: 275 chapters, 6-ish arcs.

    Sanji didn't have a fight in every pre-timeskip arc. Only the ones featuring big decisive battles, and most of the time when there weren't enough villains in an arc to go around he usually didn't get a solo fight. Sanji's gotten fights when the time calls for it, and we've still got a ways to go for the remainder of the series, which will feature grand battle royales for him to participate in.

    And it doesn't help his case that he has same old fire leg thing since EL. Everyone else shows new combat based power ups after the 2 years. Usopp with his plants, nami with better weather powers, franky new body and weapons plus his giant robot, Brook new ice powers, luffy g4, zoro coa swords, air slashes.
    Zoro has COA swords, and Sanji has COA kicks. Not everyone got entirely new stuff - some just improved. Zoro hasn't displayed anything unusual other than Haki. Nami still uses her same weather techniques. Luffy is the same aside from Haki and Gear Fourth. Sanji has the same fighting style, but it's improved - his kicks are undoubtedly more powerful (as shown when he smashed the Pacifista), he's proficient in Armament AND Observation Haki, he's mastered a variation of Geppo and can now fly, and he's now able to use Diable Jambe more regularly and for longer intervals, while pre-timeskip it was more like a last-ditch trump card that hurt him over time. To say Sanji hasn't changed is ignorant.


    Spoiler:

  9. #349
    Swarthy Yeoman CHiZZoPs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Portland, Oregon USA

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Dragon View Post
    I liked Oda's author note at the beginning, the Straw Hats as childhood friends the reader grew up with is a way of looking at them I never considered before.

    I don't care for this colorspread, it certainly looks nice, but I don't enjoy the Straw Hats cosplaying as the Germa 66. It just makes me aware of the fact that we will see more of the Germa in cover stories. Joy.

    http://68.media.tumblr.com/3b1bfc1ea...s7f7dv_250.gif

    I liked seeing Brle worried about the rest of the family and Katakuri saving one of his siblings. I thought it was a welcome demonstration of the Charlotte children prioritizing the well-being of their kin. It's quite heartwarming to see a family rally together against a common enemy too.

    Bege really is a nice upstanding fellow. Definitely the kind of person who doesn't make you regret working with him. I also have no reason to fear his child growing up to be a menace to society.

    The only blemish of this chapter was Nami, her rudeness surprised me in an unpleasant way. Who does she think Gangster Gastino is? Caesar Clown? I think she owes Gastino an apology, what she said was totally uncalled for.

    Linlin's incredible facial expressions have become one of my favorite ways to end a chapter. Looks like we have a rampage to look forward to.

    https://images.gr-assets.com/hostedi...a/15674305.gif
    Should Ceasar be so easily forgiven for kidnapping and experimenting on children, etc?

  10. #350
    The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Planet Zordoom

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Quote Originally Posted by CHiZZoPs View Post
    Should Ceasar be so easily forgiven for kidnapping and experimenting on children, etc?
    Of course not. But that fine chap Gangster Gastino doesn't deserve to be compared to somebody he's never met. I can't even see how they look alike.

    "The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke."

  11. #351

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    I still can't believe Brulee just ripped out poor Gastino's heart like that
    It was such a cruel twist of fate

    Set Art by Daily Rowlet

  12. #352

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruin View Post
    I still can't believe Brulee just ripped out poor Gastino's heart like that
    It was such a cruel twist of fate
    I know

    They were the arc's OTP!


    Spoiler:

  13. #353
    Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Nampa, ID

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruin View Post
    I still can't believe Brulee just ripped out poor Gastino's heart like that
    It was such a cruel twist of fate
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    I know

    They were the arc's OTP!
    I dunno, I was more of a Ceasar/Brulee shipper myself.

    Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

  14. #354
    The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Planet Zordoom

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Spoiler:




    The lower-right corner panel counts as a melancholy farewell smooch, right?

    "The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke."

  15. #355
    The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Somewhere or other

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Yay for having Monday off! Can get this done nice and early today~
    • Each version of the chapter uses a different first word in the chapter title: Mangastream calls it "Soft and Fluffy", Jaimini's Box uses "Gooey and Fluffy", and VIZ uses "Thick and Fluffy".
    • In the flashback, when Neptune asks the Minister of the Right if there's a chance the bomb won't explode, the Minister's response in MS ("No, my king! Positive thinking!") makes it sound like he's saying "no, there's no chance of that, that's just wishful thinking". However, JB and VIZ both have the Minister encouraging that positive thinking, with the VIZ version being, "Erm...it's good to think positive, your majesty!"
    • The room that the scanlations call "Einbaum" (German for "dugout", as JB notes) is called the "Red Bean Baum" room in the official translation.
    • In the official version, Caesar's reaction after Bege says "It's perfect!" isn't much different, but I chuckled at the wording of it: Caesar says "Who in the why did what now?!"
    • As the castle is falling and the townspeople are panicking, MS has someone say "Even if we ran, there's no one here to save us!" With JB and VIZ, however, they're saying that running away won't work: JB says "Even running away won't save us!", and VIZ, "No one's fast enough to run away in time!"
    • Streusen's song again rhymes in the official version: "The only thing is pain and strife / There is no thick and fluffy life". Also, while the scanlations showed that the name of Streusen's technique was in German in the original version, the official translation alters it to a punny English name: "Gourmetamorphosis".
    • As the now-transformed chateau is falling and the citizens are yelling "It's all over!", the one citizen who says "Here it comes!" in MS and "We're done for!" in JB instead shouts "Oh, the humanity!" in VIZ.
    • After Caesar has his heart back and shouts back at them that they'll never cross paths again, he doesn't call out Nami specifically in the official version like he does in the scanlations; he just says "So long, suckers and suckettes!"
    • After Bege nails the sign down, Sanji's words in all three versions are different, though MS is the most different ("Quit it with the stupid gags!"). JB instead has him say "Don't do something so unnecessary and then leave!", while in VIZ it's "Is this sign really necessary?!"

  16. #356

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    "suckers and suckettes" is pretty great

    Set Art by Daily Rowlet

  17. #357
    Discovered Stowaway fuzi11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Well, Caesar is naive to think their paths will never cross again. All of them are still stuck on Whole Cake Island

  18. #358

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    The citizen 's quoting: "Oh, the humanity" for Nakama!!!!! Luffy needs something like him on crew.

    The very opposite of Usopp.

    Nothing exists; even if something exists, nothing can be known about it
    Even if something can be known about it, knowledge about it can't be communicated to others
    Even if it can be communicated, it cannot be understood.





  19. #359

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Gourmetamorphosis...Stephen, how do you do these?
    Spoiler:
    Original Stories:
    Hybrid
    Four Swords

  20. #360
    The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Planet Zordoom

    Default Re: Chapter 872: "Soft and Fluffy"

    Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Gourmetamorphosis...Stephen, how do you do these?
    Sounds like something straight out of Toriko.

    "The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke."

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts