+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 797: ''A Big Shot! Commander Cracker Appears''

Default Re: 797: ''A Big Shot! Commander Cracker Appears''

Quote Originally Posted by Sun_Chopper View Post
    So technically this kind of atmosphere cannot be happened in the seducing woods. Even the sky become even darker, there were no bright lights other than the moon.
    I get what you mean, I just feel like they could've done a better job making a moonlit forest feel visually interesting. They could played around with contrast and saturation, but instead we get a fairly bland visual feel.

I honestly see nothing wrong with the art or animation in this episode, same with the pacing. There's a whole lot of nitpicking going around and I feel like people aren't looking at it as a whole. If people honestly think that Ichikawa's art style is bad, then I don't understand it at all because it's very well drawn and is very close to what Oda's art looks like in the manga nowadays. Hisada's art was getting a little bland throughout the years but it was still good but Ichikawa's art was what the anime needed in my opinion. The animation is fine too because you honestly can't expect the same amount of oomph in the animation of a punch in the anime that you think there is in the manga because you don't know how it really is in the animation until the actual episode comes out because Oda does communicate with the anime crew, it's all up to intrerpation at that point. Basically, I don't get the nitpicking that's going on and I think that the anime is fine where it is right now and as for Super, that show has to have more than twice the amount of people working on their episodes then what One Piece has on theirs and it has to reuse animation constantly in this current tournament, has awful coloring that is hidden by the filter and has a good cut of something every week that is always animated by one guy and no one else. So I wouldn't go on praising Super like that because it's not in a great place and will never be

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatCaptainUsopp View Post
    I honestly see nothing wrong with the art or animation in this episode, same with the pacing. There's a whole lot of nitpicking going around and I feel like people aren't looking at it as a whole. If people honestly think that Ichikawa's art style is bad
    I don't think anyone in this thread has critiqued Ichikawa's style. It's lovely, it really is. I just don't like the current color palette of the show, which is something we've already talked about extensively in the animation thread.

I don't understand it at all because it's very well drawn and is very close to what Oda's art looks like in the manga nowadays.
    Is being close to Oda's style always a good thing though? Oda's art has gone through a lot of changes over the years (Some of which I really don't like), but it was always a smooth, long term change. With the anime, the changes made have been more jumpy as director and character design roles shift. When people get used to a certain style, I think it's normal to have a bias towards it. I know because I feel that way personally about Luffy's character design, to the point where I edit Sato's character design to more closely resemble Koizumi

Quote Originally Posted by Jakisuaki View Post
    I don't think anyone in this thread has critiqued Ichikawa's style. It's lovely, it really is. I just don't like the current color palette of the show, which is something we've already talked about extensively in the animation thread.

Is being close to Oda's style always a good thing though? Oda's art has gone through a lot of changes over the years (Some of which I really don't like), but it was always a smooth, long term change. With the anime, the changes made have been more jumpy as director and character design roles shift. When people get used to a certain style, I think it's normal to have a bias towards it. I know because I feel that way personally about Luffy's character design, to the point where I edit Sato's character design to more closely resemble Koizumi
    I don't see the problem with Oda's art and Ichikawa and Sato perfectly resemble the art that he has in the manga now. Koizumi's was good for the time period but now that the art has changed, it wouldn't work nowadays. Hell, I don't even see anything wrong the color palette. Also, Koizumi's designs were phased out after the Water 7 saga, I don't know what to say to you if you honestly haven't gotten over a change that has been present for almost 10 years now. I don't personally like your redesign of Sato's work, the proportions and Luffy"s face look off in this type of design and it doesn't exactly resemble the work of Koizumi aside from the hat. Refining his work ruins it's individuality for me especially when Sato is my favorite character designer and animation director couple with Ichikawa. The thing is, you can be uspet, but when you guys act all doom and gloom about the anime every episode when nothing is even really wrong with it, it's get a little grating
    Last edited by TheGreatCaptainUsopp; July 18th, 2017 at 10:58 AM.

I don't see the problem with Oda's art and Ichikawa and Sato perfectly resemble the art that he has in the manga now.
    Yes, they do, but as I said, there are aspects of Oda's current artstyle that I dislike. In my opinion, the first 300 or so episodes of the series never truly captured Oda's artwork. As someone who started with the anime and therefore heavily favors the designs of the Water 7/Enies Lobby era, seeing it change is frustrating to say the least. What can I say, I'm biased.

Koizumi's was good for the time period but now that the art has changed, it wouldn't work nowadays. Hell, I don't even see anything wrong the color palette. Also, Koizumi's designs were phased out after the Water 7 saga, I don't know what to say to you if you honestly haven't gotten over a change that has been present for almost 10 years now.
    It would work if you see the anime and manga as two separate entities. Does the unique look of Movie 6 ruin it? No. As for the color palette, the colors are brighter and the contrast is less sharp. When's the last time you saw hard black being used?

I don't personally like your redesign of Sato's work, the proportions and Luffy"s face look off in this type of design and it doesn't exactly resemble the work of Koizumi aside from the hat.
    Hey, that's fine. It's a very personal thing. I didn't try to alter the face to look more like Koizumi's, I wanted to keep the appeal of Sato's brilliant character designs while adding Koizumi's more proportionate body type. The one thing I dislike the most about Luffy's character design nowadays is that he looks too childish. The appeal of a kiddo kicking everyone's asses (As Luffy often says these days) is not there for me. To me, Luffy is a young adult who's taking on the world, and I liked how his character reflected that. It's an appeal he has very much lost nowadays, and it saddens me. Rewatching the Sabaody Archipelago arc, and then immediately after that watching the Amazon lily arc is frustrating to me, because the difference is so apparent.

Refining his work ruins it's individuality for me especially when Sato is my favorite character designer and animation director couple with Ichikawa.
    Sato is without a doubt a better character designer than both Koizumi and Hisada, I just really, really dislike the way he draws Luffy. His upper body is not in proportion, his head is oversized like a toddler. That damn strawhat​ is one of the ugliest and least proportionate things I've ever seen. Hey, atleast reddit agrees with me :D

*very guilty self applause*

Phew, I think I sidetracked a little from the original topic. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by Jakisuaki; July 18th, 2017 at 02:51 PM.

Not firelord ozai or zuko firelord111's Avatar

I'm OK with art as long as it does not look like the art we had at shabody before time skip

By fire be purged

Quote Originally Posted by firelord111 View Post
    I'm OK with art as long as it does not look like the art we had at shabody before time skip
    Oh boy a lot of people are gonna disagree with you, since a lot of people here LOVE and PRAISE Naoki Tate. Heck, certain people even think the Sabaody era was the time where the OP anime reached its peak.

Personally Mr. Tate isn't my favorite key animator and I don't miss him on OP and although his animation is on point up there with Tomita and Shida, his artstyle...yuck (kinda feel he's a tiny little bit overhyped and overrated tbh)!

Now for the current episodes, I just pray that we'll get some talented key animators (my homeboys Shida, Tomita, Mitsui) for the episode 799, please Toei don't p*ssy out on that one!

Quote Originally Posted by Jakisuaki View Post
    It made me sad to see the vibrant, saturated colours of the Thriller Bark era compared with the bland, boring colors we have today.
    So good to see someone else highlight this. Color schemes turned to shit after punk hazard. The color palette of the past few arcs is vomit.

Wano? Wa-yes! Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

I usually refrain from talking about art cause that's usually really subjective, but I fail to see how the flashback's colors looked more vibrant than in the present. We're obviously gonna see dark shades given it's nighttime, but during the day we've seen plenty of vibrant colors. Not to mention that the character art looks far better in the present than they did in Thriller Bark.

Spoiler:

Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar

Holding Thriller Bark up was an example of color vibrancy is hilarious given how the vast majority of the arc took place beneath a purple filter that made everything look drab and dank.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information