+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: One Piece Opening 20: "Hope" by Namie Amuro (1st October 2017)

Default Re: One Piece Opening 20: "Hope" by Namie Amuro (1st October 2017)

I wish they'd go back to animating color spreads.

To be fair, how many openings actually did have more stuff dedicated to current events than less than 30 seconds of upcoming stuff or few shots of antagonists? OP 5th and 6th just had "stuff to come" section longer, I think only 11-14th ones dedicated large chunks of its duration to arc stuff with any creativity (OP 12th may be hated for its song and its author, but I really enjoy its visual side). The 7th one was actually the worst offender for having no relation to the current plot while the one before even showcased scenes that only were to happen during "Crazy Rainbow" time.
    All hail Machvise-sama, Arlong Park Character Tournament 2016 Champion!

I think they do this so they can stretch out the longevity of the openings, because if they do them arc specific, they have to change them far more. I mean Naruto had what...20 openings for just Shippuden?

Doing it the way now means they only have to throw in a few scenes of new animation, I'm not the biggest fan, but I understand it. Shit costs money.

Though on the OTHER hand, this has been the One Piece standard since the start, it just seems to stick out far more now because the last handful of openings just seem to be doing the exact same shit: Straw Hats doing something on the ship, while the older openings actually moved them around a bit more.
    3DS Friendcode: 1177-6707-2664

Quote Originally Posted by KzTxL7 View Post
    I wasn't distracted by Lucy being half naked.

You won this week Fairy Tail.

The animators I wish to see them in the new opening are: Ryo Onishi , takeshi nishino
    my guess for the one who going to storybord this opening will be : Takashi Otsuka

Some people don't realize that Hard Knock Days (OP 18) actually had more than the last 30 seconds dedicated to Dressrosa, but it suffers from other problems.
    One of them is the Strawhats having fun on the ship instead of on an island which decreases the creativity and the amount of fun we had with them, and even when they were on an island, it was completely generic and lasted for mere seconds, and let's be honest, Luffy chasing a bug is way better than the Sunny bits in OPs 18 & 19.
    Other than the openings mentioned above, One Day (OP 13) was also almost completely focused on the events in the anime, and I believe it was also well received among the fans.
    I personally don't mind them animating the color spreads, as long as it's done well, maybe by making them a segment of the strawhats having fun part like OPs 7, 11 & 12, as long as they don't extend that part.
    I can't tell people to stop hoping for a 100% arc specific opening, but let's be real here, the chances of us getting an OP without half of the Strawhats are next to zero.
    And don't forget that we have 150 seconds long openings, so it's not difficult for them to showcase the entire Strawhats + the arc, it's just a matter of balance.
    What I really want, and it's strange enough that nobody mentioned it here, is for the OPs to stop promoting the crew in their Fishman Island outfits, I'm really sick of these outfits, and it confuses me because they were not really pushing the original costumes Pre-Timeskip, I'm not saying they should go all out like Wake Up! (OP 17), but if that is what it takes for them to stop using the Fishman Island outfits, then I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmetal-lich View Post
    I think they do this so they can stretch out the longevity of the openings, because if they do them arc specific, they have to change them far more. I mean Naruto had what...20 openings for just Shippuden?

Doing it the way now means they only have to throw in a few scenes of new animation, I'm not the biggest fan, but I understand it. Shit costs money.

Though on the OTHER hand, this has been the One Piece standard since the start, it just seems to stick out far more now because the last handful of openings just seem to be doing the exact same shit: Straw Hats doing something on the ship, while the older openings actually moved them around a bit more.
    Naruto and Bleach had regular opening changes every 25-26 episodes with some exceptions (but the deviations weren't more than ~5 episodes), it wasn't arc based. Toei changes OPs completely on a whim which can lead to silly situations like OP lacking Chopper (and having Vivi in one shot among minor villains) during most of the Alabasta and then spoiling Robin joining before the end of it or OP6 featuring CP9 fights even though it was replaced right after "I wadda live!".
    All hail Machvise-sama, Arlong Park Character Tournament 2016 Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Koliber View Post
    Naruto and Bleach had regular opening changes every 25-26 episodes with some exceptions (but the deviations weren't more than ~5 episodes), it wasn't arc based. Toei changes OPs completely on a whim which can lead to silly situations like OP lacking Chopper (and having Vivi in one shot among minor villains) during most of the Alabasta and then spoiling Robin joining before the end of it or OP6 featuring CP9 fights even though it was replaced right after "I wadda live!".
    You actually just mentioned my two major gripes regarding the openings :D It's really annoying that Opening 3 spoils Robin. Each time I watch these episodes with newbies, I have to be careful to remember in which episode the opening starts so I can skip it until she has joined -.-

And I'll never forgive them for abandoning my favorite Opening, Brand New World, after only 12 episodes to replace it with generic Rainbow Star, ugh.

Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar

Brand New World got screwed by the timeslot change. I believe that Sun_Chopper said in the past that the show was a bit of a mess behind the scenes at that point and that Fuji TV was seriously considering cancelling it, so the change sounds like it was a hail mary that was decided upon relatively last minute (might be part of the reason Crazy Rainbow's footage is so thrown-together and the ending was dropped; less effort to scout out, negotiate with, and commission/license a song from only one band instead of two on short notice).

It's preaching to the choir here, but they really do need to figure out better ways to handle the usual One Piece opening cliches if they're not going to fully move away from them. Like make smart use of transitions such as at the end of the (preferably truncated) "Straw Hats lounging on the Sunny" sequence have Sanji emerge from the kitchen but do a match cut to him instead opening the door onto like a banquet hall with his asshole family and crazy future in-laws instead of his friends. Be more creative with the storyboarding is what I'm saying.

Also, give me more of the bait-and-switch video game opening square-offs that may or may not make any sense like Sanji vs. Ichiji, Brook vs. Amande, Chopper vs. Opera, or Carrot vs. Galette. You know what to do Shida.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Gonna throw out my checklist and predictions for this opening. See how many I can tick off. Show me yours!

1. Straw Hats stare into the sunset or some faraway thing while on the boat.

2. Straw Hats are doing some mundane everyday activity on the sunny

3. Zoro and Sanji Fighting

4. Nami and Robin lounging around (bonus point if they are in bikinis or scantily dressed)

5. Luffy running around goofing off

6. Nami getting caught in the shower and getting mad

7. Smash cut of several different groups of people (Warlords, Emperors, Big Mom crew, Vinsmokes, Marines)

8. Epic Group shot before fight.

9. Smash cut of SH flashbacks.

10. Ace flashback

11. Luffy going Gear 4

12. Shanks showing up smiling.

13. Robin reading, Sanji cooking, Brooke playing his violin

14. Last 15-30 seconds are cuts of arc related stuff.

15. Animated Colorspreads.
    3DS Friendcode: 1177-6707-2664

Quote Originally Posted by KzTxL7 View Post
    I wasn't distracted by Lucy being half naked.

You won this week Fairy Tail.

Well that's the problem isn't it? Openings especially these days prioritize getting potential new fans up to date with who everyone is and what the world is about. So openings will almost always have some sort of sequence where the SHs do their usual goofy shenanigans because otherwise how else would any new fans know that the afro skeleton likes to play music while leaning on walls or that the orange haired girl has a temper and regularly beats up pervs.

Then of course they also need to know how powerful everyone is, so Toei NEEDS to get them random attack montages out there, or else new fans won't know that Zoro is the badass one. Do newbies know about the Marines? Nope, better throw up a group shot. How about the Shichibukai? Nah, throw up another group shot. Yonko? Negative, you best believe we're throwing up that group shot. Wait! we almost forgot to focus on the arc we're currently in. Only 10 secs left huh? Got it, montage baby!

I get why they do it, and yeah it is important. But more often than not they do just the bare minimum rather than trying anything slightly new or creative.

~ They got the moves like Jagger ~

Quote Originally Posted by LazySketcher View Post
    Well that's the problem isn't it? Openings especially these days prioritize getting potential new fans up to date with who everyone is and what the world is about. So openings will almost always have some sort of sequence where the SHs do their usual goofy shenanigans because otherwise how else would any new fans know that the afro skeleton likes to play music while leaning on walls or that the orange haired girl has a temper and regularly beats up pervs.

Then of course they also need to know how powerful everyone is, so Toei NEEDS to get them random attack montages out there, or else new fans won't know that Zoro is the badass one. Do newbies know about the Marines? Nope, better throw up a group shot. How about the Shichibukai? Nah, throw up another group shot. Yonko? Negative, you best believe we're throwing up that group shot. Wait! we almost forgot to focus on the arc we're currently in. Only 10 secs left huh? Got it, montage baby!

I get why they do it, and yeah it is important. But more often than not they do just the bare minimum rather than trying anything slightly new or creative.
    Y'know this is the one area where I felt the entire Naruto franchise has succeeded where One Piece has stagnated. If you look at all the Naruto openings as a whole they don't fall into a consistent comfortable pattern of genericness. Yes, there are a few that do this, especially around long filler periods but ultimately they are able to be set pieces that either allude to and give an idea where the series is at that point and do it in a very eclectic and engaging style.

In fact thinking about it One Piece is one of the few long running series to specifically having "patterned" OPs be a problem.

Sailor Moon didn't do this.
    Dragonball the franchise didn't do this.
    Jojo didn't do this.

Kind of interesting this show it having a rut with this.
    Check out my artwork and my musings here:
    http://o-chan30.blogspot.com/
    http://ochan28.deviantart.com/

The music for One Piece opening 14, Stand Together, is one of my favorite songs out of all the openings. I can't wait to listen to this one, and it probably end being just as good, or even better! :3

Besides, the music, I can't wait to see what kind of different visuals there will be this time around. Though, what would really be cool is a montage of the Strawhat's throughout the story, kinda like this is fanmade opening:

Avatar: Series: Persona 4; Character: Rise Kujikawa; Artist: Atlus

It would be nice if they didn't try to focus too much on Whole Cake visuals so they can get some longevity out of the opening. It takes what a year or so to fully change up openings? More? It sucks when irrevelant stuff carries over into a different arc.

I don't think that's going to be a problem this time. Right now the anime's 37~ chapters behind the manga, and the current arc's probably going to last no more than another volume at most (so add on nine-to-ten more chapters to that figure). Take into account that there will inevitably be some half-chapter episodes sprinkled here and there and that means that the anime will probably finish the current arc in approximately a year from now, which has been the ballpark running length of the recent openings.

Nah, with all this padding and filling going on, I say the anime will not finish Whole Cake Island before like November 2018, or until 2019. But WCI scenes in the opening is actually what I'm WAITING for, that is part of why the current one sucks so hard. Facing off Kaido and his crew when the Straw Hats have never met them and now they have been going against a completely different Yonkou.

Those added 10 seconds of new footage look so good tho, I hope Ishikawa or whoever can glo' up the whole opening looking this good, even if it's mostly the same cliche pattern!

Can't wait to see a full opening with the new color palette.

I'm so much Excited about the new opening lol :)

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco Boshi View Post
    Can't wait to see a full opening with the new color palette.
    I swear, the color palette is all you ever talk about. Not that I don't understand of course, the pre-timeskip one is miles better.

Forget that, this will likely be our first look at the color schemes of many an upcoming character.
    Spoiler:
    I'm mentally preparing myself for hot pink Katakuri.

Hopefully its better then the last three openings.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information