+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Guy & His Keyboard

Default A Guy & His Keyboard

Hello,

I've decided to start this thread to post my own thoughts on various topics, issues, and media. I was inspired by lr-hr-rh's thread, but given recent events, I want to make a serious effort to be more outgoing and transparent with many things, y'know? Today I was thinking of all sorts of topics.
    Some might be more controversial than others, but I selected *here* as to not clog up other threads.

Why don't we start with.....

Pokemon Gen 2 - A Retrospective 15+ Years Later

Recently, Gold and Silver have been released (finally) for the 3DS eShop. Gone are the days where I had to blow in my cartidge, which is great, because the internal battery in my original cart has long since died, where data is wiped as soon as you turn the power off.

Pokemon debuted in 1996 in Japan and 1998 in North America, and it was *very* popular, so when it came time for the sequel, Gamefreak didn't hold back. I could go for hours talking about the QoL changes but let's mark the important ones:
    -splitting the special stat
    -breeding, introducing pre-evolutions and allowing the player to make more of a mon
    -day and night
    and so on. Currently I'm playing a Nuzlocke of Gold. and you might be wondering why, if I also own the remake, a game with much much more. Simple, Pokemon is fun. Although I've been burnt out with the series recent entries because collecting Pokemon is what I like to do, and in my Sun, I'm only missing four pokemon in all of existence, and two are coming to Ultra Sun.

Let's take a trip in time to where things were, well, simpler. Back then it was such a huge deal that you were a new trainer. A new land! New pokemon! But, would my favorites appear?

Yes. of 251 this gen, only 100 are new, meaning 60% of the pokedex is the familiar. Later gens would get some flak for having a disproportionate amount of the *old* in their dex, Alola in one instance, but since this was the direct sequel, I can't exactly fault Gamefreak. That being said, Johto is heavily linked to Kanto, like a pair of Siamese twins. You encounter all of their mons, but both regions share an E4. Really makes you think.

But this was three years since the first game, and you see the sprinkles of the pokeworld changing over time. Bill the programmer is visiting his parents, Prof. Oak runs a radio show, Team Rocket makes their return after lurking the shadows, Kanto's gyms have changed roster, and Red - *yourself* in the last game, has disappeared. I've always wondered why, did Red get bored after filling the pokedex? Beating every trainer in the region? He's just training(?) in Mt. Silver, waiting for the day someone like him will rise up to give him a true challenge. In a way, it's reflective - can you, the player, be as great of a pokemon master as you were a generation ago? There's more gyms and more pokemon, so hop to it!

That being said, the biggest hurdle Gen 2 faced is its level pacing. Gyms 1-3 run spaced out enough, there's Union Cave/Ruins of Alph and Ilex Forest/National Park to keep you busy before the next challenge, then things get waywire.
    Ecruteak is a good fourth gym, but Olivine/Cianwood/Mahogany are very close to each other, that the levels don't have enough time to expand out a little bit. A team of ~30s can beat all three of these gyms, hell Pryce is easier than Jasmine despite coming after. This is because a lot of the level objectives overlap; you find the medicine for Amphy on Chuck's home terf, approximately 100 steps away from the coast of Olivine. I know, repels counted it for me.

The E4 is the weakest of all gens, starting at only ~40 and ending in the mid 50s at Lance. So a team of mid 40s can pull it off. Seems so small, when you compare it to the previous E4 of mid 50s to mid 60s. This is because of

getting the other 8 badges and solving other problems in the land of Kanto will get you in the 50s, close to 60s. Of course, the E4 do not increase in levels like in FireRed and beyond, so rebattling constantly is probably the best way to grind for Red.

People often cite Gen 2 as their favorite (well at least in the past) but we do say it's just because of Kanto nostalgia? Nowadays players hate to see G1 mons being the only thing pushed, but back then, it wasn't pandering, just a logical advancement of the world. Sequels don't have to allude to the original, but throwing it a little wink and nod is what solidifies the connection between the games, what makes a series feel like it's own.

While the meta has only advanced from this point, Gamefreak wanted to spread a different message:

-Karen

I've always adored this quote. Today it might seem like the scrublord motto, considering you need to craft a team around IVs, natures, abilities, and they might not be your personal favorites. I like Pikachu, but do you see me winning VGC with one?
    But as a kid, it makes you smile and look to your partners, your team, and think "yeah, i can totally kick lance's butt with them". Even today I use pokemon I personally love, not the OU bunch. I'm not really a competitive battler, so maybe it's just nonsense to you the reader, but there's something forever whimisical....magical....and peaceful with Karen's words.

This motto is the antithesis of Silver, your rival this gen.

He's a harsh trainer that seems like a total edgelord, mocking you, pushing you, saying only strong pokemon matter. His past gets a little more explored in the remake, but you get to see his development as the game progresses....losing to Lance makes him rethink his approach, and by Mt. Moon, he's mellowed out. He even has a Crobat, and that is the proof in the pudding, because you need to make a Golbat *happy* to get it.
    Gary was an ass too, but more in the competitive rival sense you just hated losing to since he was a sore winner. Silver is more of a stranger, more bitter...more of a representation of what the ideal trainer shouldn't be.

Again, it might be wishy washy sentimental nonsense today, but I'm certain it inspired other people playing the game. Gen 2 builds on what Gen 1 established, and when the glitchy, psychic-rules-all is the source, every improvement can be seen. There's more balance, two new types, bigger move pools, and it is when Pokemon really settled into its own, for gens to come.

.a moment of silence for the fallen
    Lockjaw the Croconaw
    Sakura the Skiploom
    Camilla the Togepi
    Mooba the Bellsprout
    Geri the Ratata
    Saitama II the Eevee
    Caesar C(lown) the Koffing

Default Re: A Guy & His Keyboard

Another thing I forgot to mention is in addition to the level curving, movesets were also....lackluster.
    Hoppip barely learns any grass attacking moves so most of the time it was a staller, and I was *shocked* (pun intended) to see that the Voltorb doesn't even have Thundershock!

Pokemon distribution is also pretty ironic; Houndour and Murkrow are ambassadors of the dark type yet they're Kanto exclusive. And then there's Larvitar, which evolves into a top tier powerhouse, but you can only find them ~15 or so in a lower chamber of Mt. Silver.
    I pity the Tyranitar fans.

Anyways stay tuned for the next post.

Tonight let's look at a overlooked character.

Princess Daisy - The Princess of Sarsaland

She's been a Mario series regular since Mario Tennis (2000), but did she know she debuted in Super Mario Land, a game not spearheaded by Daddy Miyamoto, but Gunpei Yokoi? Mario Land is.....weird, probably one of Mario's oddest experiences. The whole thing always feels like an acid trip, which I know is redundant to say when Mario eats mushrooms and fights spiked turtles. Sarasaland is made of four kingdoms(?), or areas to make this explanation simpler - Chai, Muda, Easton, and Birabuto.

Now what the hell does this have to do with Daisy?
    Well in Mario Land, she's just a Peach stand-in. A princess for Mario to save, a way for him to follow routine, but in a different land. Here's what Daisy looked like back then:

Screams Peach clone, doesn't it? Here's the beginning of her design evolution, with two N64 titles - Mario Tennis and Mario Party 3, her return to the limelight after over 10 years of absence.

The hair gets shorter. Blue eyes. Flowers will become her motif. Now, I've always treated the in-universe of her reappearance to be that Mario and friends reached out to invite her for the fun, and next thing she knew, she was hanging out more and more with them. It's Mario, and spin-off titles at that, so this explanation is the biggest case of headcanon you ever did see.

But what's my point, you ask? Daisy would slowly break out of the Peach clone shadow. Mario Party 4 is the first game to see her "modern" design, but the transition was not complete, as Jen Taylor was still voicing her from the N64 days.

See the paler skin, the more rounded design? But Double Dash marks the final stage:

Hi, I'm Daisy!
    -Daisy

Tell me you didn't spam this during the game. Daisy unfortunately crossed into "this is annoying" territory for some, but it was a new VA, so one could always see it as both her and Daisy getting really excited for the race. This was her *first* Mario Kart, after all. And across the years, she would continue to rock parties, golf matches, tennis matches, and kart races.

Here's where her characterization continues on.

It sums up all of the standout points nicely. She's more sporty and competitive than Peach. And someone at Nintendo likes promoting the two together - they have love-themed team names in Mario Party 5, the statues of them in Daisy Circuit, in this screenshot above, you very clearly her say "hey sweetie!"
    The romantic link is more direct, pronounced than Mario and Peach. And it is the sweetest thing ever, because Luigi himself is a sweet guy.

And yet, Daisy hasn't appeared in a mainline game. But why? Personality wise, she's no longer just a Peach recolor - she's more spunky, and while Peach can be a little flirty and snarky in some games, the difference is way more pronounced than it was in the year 2000. Maybe it's because Daisy isn't a brainchild of Tezuka and Miyamoto, the Mario gods we know and love? Koizumi didn't make her either, nor Motokura. Upselling might be harder than it seems, because you'd have to start *somewhere* for a game idea.

I've always thought a return to Sarasaland could be a neato idea - where Luigi goes to visit her, but Tatanga, the alien villain that hasn't reappeared like Wart, mistakes him for Mario and tries to get revenge? I think the problem is that *now*, Sarsaland doesn't offer anything Mario or Luigi haven't explored. the Sand Kingdom in Odyssey has the pyramids and sphinxes, and it's not explicitly labeled as Birabuto - the part of Sarasaland modeled after ancient Egypt. Best we can hope for are easter eggs. The Jaxis are already one. But to be fair, Odyssey is Pauline's return to the spotlight, so she deserves it.

I've seen Daisy vs. Rosalina arguments during Smash season, where the newcomer was "hogging" all of the chances that should've been Daisy's. I really like both characters, but Daisy has been in the public eye for longer, trapped in purgatory.
    All is not lost, though. She was recently confirmed for Super Mario Run, the first time she's actually playing by mainline Mario gameplay. Of course, it's just a mobile game, but maybe she'll find her niche, her up and coming game director that pitches an idea to Koizumi-san. (yes Koizumi is based, he directed Sunshine and Galaxy)

I wrote a fic that kinda focuses on her always being left out, where Sm4sh was the final straw. Do it give a read if you're interested.
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12257758/1/Just-a-Side-Character

Time for a new post :)

DLC - Yay? Nay?

If you've played video games in the past....decade+, you know what this is gonna be about. DLC stands for downloadable content, and no I'm not trying to insult your intelligence by spelling it out, just to highlight that technically, nothing about "cost" or "money" is in the term.
    And yet, we can't seem to escape it.

The first time I saw an example of it was during my Xbox 360 days, mainly getting iffed at Capcom (the KINGs of DLC) and me, having to fork over more money for more characters. Isn't owning the game itself enough? I, the consumer, pay 60+ dollars for a console video game, which gives all of the hours and enjoyment time over to me.
    I want to be very careful and not say something....well, dumb, but how did I go from hating on Capcom and today, where I've willingly paid extra money for DLC in other games?

I suppose a key point to understand is that DLC is not automatically good, nor is automatically bad, it really just depends on the game, the company, the bang for the buck, and what's being offered. The reason why I gave Capcom shit is because they kind of have a history of re-releasing games under an "ultimate" or a "super" version - Marvel vs. Capcom 4, Street Fighter 4, and of course, the granddaddy of obnoxious game re-release, all the bloody Street Fighter 2 additions. SF2 Turbo, Super SF2, Mega Ultra SF2, SF2 & Knuckles ft. Dante from the Devil May Cry series.
    That being said, SF2 was from an era where DLC wasn't a thing; one couldn't connect to the barely-there internet to get a character for a fraction of a price charged for a game title.

That is the benefit of DLC - adding more to the game without having to buy the game again. Something minor, like a map, or a character can be added to the base game without having to fork over 60 or 40 more dollars. It also extends the attention/popularity of a game; updates breath life to a game and get more people talking about it, maybe more people even buying it. And it isn't always just a case of the developers being greedy - if they legitimately had a great idea for content but the game already is out, their idea shouldn't be gone to waste. In the context of fighting games, or games where a lot of value is placed on the roster, DLC allows for players to potentially get their favorites without having to pull a Capcom. Smash 4 dlc gave some people hope, and Cloud/Bayonetta/Ryu made people lose their minds.

Now it begs the question - why do we, gamers, still have to pay more?

That is the drawback of DLC - some games/companies are better than others at this concept, and some games throw a fuckton of extra (priced) content their way, with the cost adding up. Remember I said in the beginning that not all DLC is priced, but some might not be worth your money. And sure, it's optional and you can still enjoy the game, but what if there's something that you might want (but not the rest of what's being offered)? Or maybe, you feel x feature shouldn't be behind a paywall. At the end of the day, companies need to make money, and the higher production value needed for a video game, as well as competition from other forms of media (mobile gaming for one) has caused this concept to arise. One can't fault them for trying to make a living, to perpetuate their entertainment, but seeing all sorts of options behind DLC prices might just drive you up a wall.
    And then you have day 1 DLC - extra content that can be bought when the game comes out. Again, this could easily just be the developers having some extra ideas before the producer wrapped normal development time up, but announcing before the game comes out is never a good idea - because it gives gamers the impression that you deliberately held back stuff just to charge more money. And if that's true, making it that obvious might sour people.

There's also the idea that lazy developers can use DLC as a crutch to give content that "should be" or "could be" in vanilla in a normal context, and now that it's become so commonplace, they could be perceived as such.

It's a double edged blade plunged so far into the gamer's chest that they can't pull it out without hemorrhaging blood. To have my metaphor be less obtuse, a gamer has the right to refuse to purchase DLC, on whatever ground. But DLC as a practice isn't something that will go away just because some player is unhappy, I suspect it's here to stay in this advanced world, and it can only be challenged, affected, and influenced, by how the community reacts to it.

Three Rights Make a Left

Tonight's topic is a little more serious, so I can't think of a fitting picture. Enjoy my (overdone) joke title then!

So there's two avenues I want to explore. They intersect. First, let's talk about my forum beginnings. Circa 2009, I was the guy that picked some forum-preset Eneru avatar, made maybe one or two posts in the chapter threads, generally didn't post outside the General section, and I definitely made some faux pas's that made me look like a clown. Ah, the youth of 15.Most of my initial interaction was in the Hurt & Heal thread, a forum game that had a nice circle of users but it was pretty disliked by the outside, probably because it was spammy and was, at one point, in three major sections. I made friends with the H/H crowd, and all but three or so, not counting me, have completely disappeared from the forum. One of these guys I pm'd a lot, and we had a similar sense of humor and quirks. Things seemed pretty positive, but it was only a few years or so that the dude got banned. I mean, we had given each other advice here and there, so it was a rough blow to see it happen. We still had Skype, but admittedly I didn't make the best effort to use it 24/7, probably because the forum (and Discord, the platform we would later reconnect on this past year) doesn't force you to always be at the PM window, you can interact with the other users and go about your day.To be blunt, I was a little more reserved with my secrets/shames/quirks, and he always felt like I had to loosen up. circa 2010 and beyond Meta was definitely more naive and stressed than current Meta, so comparatively, now, I can at least say more. That being said, there's still stuff I hate talking about with him.

I'm part of his Discord server that he cobbled from mostly /pol/ and /lgbt/ users. You can kinda guess where things are getting dicey; apparently we don't seem to gel politically.

To back up, I'm generally a liberal kinda guy - supports immigration rights, pro-lgbt, pro-choice. For the most part, I don't really see any vastly opposing thoughts irl - my mother and brother are barely political, my sister echoes a lot of my sentiments (she was a Bernie supporter, goes to a liberal arts college), and while my dad is a Republican, we've had pretty chill debates, plus y'know, different era and all that.The forum in general is pretty liberal.

So yeah, me and my friend are worlds apart when it comes to these things. I have no problems with a difference in political stance, but some of the stuff.....just makes me annoyed? Angry? Sad?-He believes in the whole white genocide thing, gotta "protect" white culture from teh big bad immigrants. I find it so insidious because it comes with an implication that they're all malicious parasites.
    -There's some unironic antisemitism? Like, he's shown me quotes of Jewish men saying explicitly anti-white things, and while I can't think all of them are fake, does that suddenly undo the goddamn Holocaust and years and years of prosecution?
    -He's tried to convince me that trans people are "mentally ill", which maybe some people reading this would go into a spiral already, but if you want my stance....if something's "off", then's it's "off", but "mentally ill" has just such a negative connotation with it, as if to say they're all literal nutcases. Perhaps I'll inquire more in the thread to better understand the meaning of the phrase in that context, but considering I've become acquainted with so many transpeople on this site? I cannot, in good faith, agree with him.
    -Also some /r9k/-tier stuff, like I kinda think that he's just embracing these alt-right sentiments (and boy, does he get into a spiel when you throw around labels like that) because he's spoken of some disillusioning stuff in his life, y'know, stuff happens. But no, he has said he wish he didn't believe in this stuff, something about the evidence being too big of a pileup, etc...
    And for the discord server users, think the same ideas, just more unironic about it. He's encouraged me to debate, to prevent echo chambering, but man, if anything it's taught me to be pretty concise on my political facts, since these days you can't just google something and throw in the first thing that might disprove your opponent's argument.

Part of me thinks these theories are crazy/wrong/stupid and I get frustrated trying to argue. Part of me wants to be fair on the whole thing, like can I really police someone's thought just because I don't jive with it? That's exactly what conservatives like to criticize liberals on. And part of me is kinda just disgusted and I'd rather quit the server.
    I'll be the first to admit that I've laughed at off-color humor, that I sometimes have a dark sense of humor, but this whole thing, I feel, is conflicting with my values. It's one thing to joke about it, that takes talent. It's another to *embrace* it, because then it's a slippery slope down the cynical jaded path he has ended up on. Even though my misfortunes, I try to keep my head high and always see the best in people, but my friend just doesn't think the same way.

Guess it shows that time passes, and you might not know a person as well as you did.
    Last edited by MetaMario; October 11th, 2017 at 05:21 PM.

Discovered Stowaway

Right now I'm that teenage guy who mostly posts in the chapters and the general section partially due to timidity, but I'm trying to interact more on the site. I hope you don't mind me just popping up out of nowhere right now, because your post really resonated with me. I'm Iranian American. I was born in the Untied States, but both of my parents were born in Iran and became US citizens before I was born. For a little over half my life now, I've lived in a very Republican, now pro-Trump area. And honestly: I really like it here. The thing is, I've never personally been discriminated against. Everyone here treated me and my family the same as everyone else. Even when I'm meeting strangers, no one takes special notice to my name, despite it being really usual for the area. Heck, we've even invited neighborhood friends over for Persian dinners several times (we did this just two or three weeks ago in fact) and they all loved it. Being more liberal leaning, I kinda always disagreed politically with my friends (I remember one kid in school jokingly telling me in school that it was the end of the world the day after Obama got reelected) but mostly we just agreed to disagree.

Then Trump came along. I thought he was just crazy and a jerk, but I was the only one outside of my family who did. Everyone else seemed to love him. They talked about how great his policies were, how stupid liberals were, how Hilary Clinton was basically a comic book villain. There's some exaggeration there (at least for most people), but the general consensus was that Trump was great. I couldn't stand it, but I mostly kept my mouth shut out to avoid making myself a target expect for a few discussions with close friends. I especially loathed Trump's anti-immigration spiel, for obvious reasons. The anti-Muslim stuff just hurts. I'm not a Muslim myself, but I have many relatives who are. My family generally travels to Iran every other year to visit extended family, so hearing who was trying to be (...and now is...) President basically paint all Muslims as extremists and Iran as some kind of terrorist hotbed was just sickening. There was also this nauseating eureka moments when some of these alt-rights groups like white supremacists started to move into the spotlight where I remember thinking these guys are crazy. I feel really bad for the people they're targeting, and then I realized they were talking about me. People who had immigrated here like my parents.

As a result of all this, I've drifted away from some friends. Not that we've stopped talking or dislike each other, but just interacting less. Maybe with more people than I'd like to admit. I mean...politics don't feel like something you should bring up with people you know but not too well. Another major thing is that some people I know are very anti-gay and anti-transgender, like, basically saying they should be discriminated against, and I feel like that goes against my personal morals, even though I'm pretty ignorant on the subject right now. I mean, shouldn't people simply be judged as individuals? Not by a group that they are a part of? (sighs) I know, I sound like a naive child. I really just don't don't know how to bring up political stuff like this in civil discussion, because I do want to try to change some minds. Some people are just completely pro-Trump and would never even consider him anything less than a fantastic president and would hate me if I spilled my guts like this, but I know many people that are smart and would likely be willing to talk about political views. The thing is, the two are mixed together a lot, and again, I'm not very good at engaging in political discussion.

Sorry for the messy writing. I'm not even 100% sure what point I was trying to make, mostly I was releasing my suppressed thoughts as they came to the surface after reading your post.

Quote Originally Posted by No swords style best style View Post
    Right now I'm that teenage guy who mostly posts in the chapters and the general section partially due to timidity, but I'm trying to interact more on the site. I hope you don't mind me just popping up out of nowhere right now, because your post really resonated with me.
    Oh, by all means!
    Then Trump came along. I thought he was just crazy and a jerk, but I was the only one outside of my family who did. Everyone else seemed to love him. They talked about how great his policies were, how stupid liberals were, how Hilary Clinton was basically a comic book villain.
    I think the first time I paid attention to Trump politically was his birther ("Obama was born in Kenya!) phase back in 2012, which of course, was always a dumb rumor his opponents came up with.

As for Clinton, like many Dems, she wasn't my first pick or anything, but this election has boomed into an annoying narrative of "well Trump/Clinton may be bad, but Clinton/Trump is LITERALLY Satan", like you get shit regardless of who you supported. And then you had the disillusioned millionals say "both sides are terrible", which you can't refute without falling into the same argument trap.

The anti-Muslim stuff just hurts. I'm not a Muslim myself, but I have many relatives who are. My family generally travels to Iran every other year to visit extended family, so hearing who was trying to be (...and now is...) President basically paint all Muslims as extremists and Iran as some kind of terrorist hotbed was just sickening. There was also this nauseating eureka moments when some of these alt-rights groups like white supremacists started to move into the spotlight where I remember thinking these guys are crazy. I feel really bad for the people they're targeting, and then I realized they were talking about me. People who had immigrated here like my parents.
    It's awful. I mean, some of my relatives aren't super fans of Muslims, but not to the extent of being alt-right about it. The reason why my friend's spiel started to get me mad is because I had a few Muslim friends in high school - one girl in particular was super upbeat and super smart, and I respected her a lot. Naturally I get the counter of "stop thinking with your feelings, face reality," etc.

I mean...politics don't feel like something you should bring up with people you know but not too well. Another major thing is that some people I know are very anti-gay and anti-transgender, like, basically saying they should be discriminated against, and I feel like that goes against my personal morals, even though I'm pretty ignorant on the subject right now. I mean, shouldn't people simply be judged as individuals? Not by a group that they are a part of? (sighs) I know, I sound like a naive child.
    I don't think you do; why should they be discriminated against? If they're comfortable with themselves and aren't doing anything harmful to others, there's no harm at all. Is the cis heterosexual murderer better than the trans robber because he's "default"? No, he's worse because he did the worse crime, meaning that people should always be judged by their actions, and as individuals.

I really just don't don't know how to bring up political stuff like this in civil discussion, because I do want to try to change some minds. Some people are just completely pro-Trump and would never even consider him anything less than a fantastic president and would hate me if I spilled my guts like this, but I know many people that are smart and would likely be willing to talk about political views. The thing is, the two are mixed together a lot, and again, I'm not very good at engaging in political discussion.
    Oh, I know the feeling. Politics is something that tends to get on people's bad sides, and the volatile nature of the previous election has only made discussion a lot more tricky. If someone isn't willing to listen, then I guess you just have to move on and not waste your breath. People are stubborn.
    Here's hoping the next cycle is *somewhat* more civil.

Sorry for the messy writing. I'm not even 100% sure what point I was trying to make, mostly I was releasing my suppressed thoughts as they came to the surface after reading your post.
    Not a problem :) Feel free to share any more thoughts you have in the future.

Since I've become more aware of American politics in the past year, it seems the more you learn the harder it can be to discuss certain things with friends, even if you can agree with certain things. As far as I know, all my college friends don't think Trump is a good president, and agree that he is not fit to be president. Go past that, opinions can get different real fast. Despite agreeing that Trump is terrible, the ones I've talked to a bit more in depth think things would be just as bad if Hillary won, and one of my friends even believes that the world is not ready for a female president. Why she thinks that, your guess is as good as mine since she seems unable to articulate it.

I'm in a situation where I am more liberal, while my parents and one brother are conservative, Christian. My brother listens to the conservative talk shows religiously, and there have been days I've heard things that got me close to cursing up a storm. The unfortunate truth is that you can pile on as much evidence and facts about various things onto someone, and they will just brush it off with replies such as "But this place said differently", "That's from a biased source", or basically any way of saying the source is wrong because it's not from a place they get their news, so it has to be lies. It takes a lot of witling down a person, over years until every bit of their world view has been chipped down that they are then ready to admit that they may be wrong and actually look into things themselves. However, many never get to that stage, because it's so easy for people to get into their echo chamber, and ignore anything else. I've stated in a few other threads about my story, but to make a long story short, being out in the world meeting so many kinds of people, and having a personality of not being confrontational and just dealing with other people's opinion, I eventually came to accept that I was wrong, and now on a long journey to actually learn.

So when it comes time to have political discussions, since I have so much to learn it's hard for me to speak up a lot of the times, because I'm not exactly informative on a lot of stuff. It's frustrating too, because I've had some long and deep conversations on other subjects such as religion, our place in the world, and other things that went deeper than I expected. When politics comes up, I know they won't budge on what they believe, and they believe things because one source they listen to says something and they believe it. It can be hard at times, because while in some ways they are progressive on certain issues, when other things come up they show some bigotry.

In the end, the longer you are friends with someone, the more they might be willing to open up to you, and sometimes what you learn isn't glamorous. Wish I could tell you how to get people to possibly accept they could be wrong, but it's not something that's really up to you. You can be a stepping stone in them learning, but put too much effort in and you will push them back just as easily. Personally, I put in a little input if my friend breaches the subject, say what I believe and just try to find a way for them to try rethinking it. Usually I try to do this with a small group, just me and one or two of my friends. Any bigger than that then what you say can easily get drowned out by everything else. Whether it's worth keeping up with them and continuing a discussion is up to you.

I hoped that made some sort of sense. Any time subjects like these come up I feel like I know what I want to say, but jumble things up enough that it doesn't make much sense.

I definitely agree - I don't try to always shout to my friend about this, sometimes I be a little more "well, what about...?", and I take his perspective and try to sort it out myself. It wouldn't be as easy to do if we didn't have that history, y'know?

And I certainly am not very versed in politics either, which is why I'm more of a spectator in the discussion thread. But because of that, I just try to find out what I can and go from there.

Trust me guys, this whole thread is just *me* jumbling things up. XD

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information