Thread: Chapter 884: Who

Default Re: Chapter 884: Who

Katakuri reminded me of Bayonetta.
    Spoiler:
    Original Stories:
    Hybrid
    Four Swords

Am i the only one hoping that for once the crew's blind fate in Luffy will get dashed ? Now that i've read this chapter, i'm confident that no matter how Oda spins it, i won't enjoy a Luffy win against Katakuri. The story calls for his defeat at this point, otherwise just hand him the crown already if his every opponent will end up defeated by an asspull.
    Bah, i was hoping for better in spite of all the indications to the contrary.

User of the Gumdrop Rifle Rocko52's Avatar

Nice, an early chapter! I didn't hear anything about this, but it was nice to log on expecting spoilers, and instead being greeted with a full chapter :)

Ahhhh my god. More Praline, I just...I love her lol. I've been lowkey (or maybe more than that, aheh) obsessed with her since she showed up at the start of the arc. While I like Oda's character designs a ton, I'm not usually that attracted to his female characters any more (it's hard to find his lazy/uninspired female character designs that appealing to begin with - I do appreciate him diversifying some more tho this arc) but Praline's design was absolutely striking, and she's easily my *ahem* favorite One Piece 'waifu." Yeah lol. But to see her make not only another appearance, but to play a pretty important minor role, and to be singing an underwater tune with a whole double-spread page....I luuuuuv iiiit. Amazing chapter haha.

But yeah, besides that I quite enjoyed this as another transition chapter. The action in the beginning was pretty cool, and while I haven't been focusing nearly as much on the mechanics (in terms of observation haki & Katakuri's Mochi fruit) of this fight so far as some people, I liked how Oda finally adressed how exactly that was all working. Seeing Luffy get a bit of a beatdown in on Katakuri was satisfying, but I'm very glad that Luffy didn't just end the fight there and win in a quick burst - that wouldn't have been satisfying at all. This fight is really revving up, and after the hilarity of the last chapter I'm ready for the climax.

Was also really fun to see some more of the cake baking team, though I wish I got to see a *bit* more of the cooking/baking process, it looks yummy. We probably won't get as elaborate of a look at them until the decorating begins, but we'll see. Also it's nice to see some more Big Mom Pirates re-entering the fray, Oven marching in with his troops was definitely cool. I just hope that Compote, Amande, and Daifuku show up again relatively soon. I would hope for some more direct stuff from Mont-d'Or, Pekoms, and Tamago, but they're probably going to remain stationary for now & I like the role Oda's settled them into - I wasn't even sure I'd see the latter two again, so it's been nice to have them get a touch more focus.

Overall a pretty solid chapter imo.

whoooo...nice battle chapter....did katakuri smack his head hard to calm his mind lol

Nice to see that even his Black Mochi and his strength cannot defend against G4 attacks though. Like wise for Luffy with that last gut hit.

Luffy should be able to go to the next level of haki in this fight. We laready know he's good at Haki, so I can easily accept that he might level up during this fight. This way Luffy can at least take out a Calamity single-handedly in the future and land significant damaging blows to Kaidou.

If the cake is such a priority. Why isn't Streussen cooking it again?

The Sun Pirates finally paid off, so that's one plot thread over and done with. I'm expecting the Lion-turtle guy to also play a role in the arc before it ends.

Did Katakuri's back touch the floor? Now I'm more sure that Morgans will defnitely cover up what happened on Whole Cake Island and no one will know that Luffy beat Katakuri.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf21 View Post
    Am i the only one hoping that for once the crew's blind fate in Luffy will get dashed ? Now that i've read this chapter, i'm confident that no matter how Oda spins it, i won't enjoy a Luffy win against Katakuri. The story calls for his defeat at this point, otherwise just hand him the crown already if his every opponent will end up defeated by an asspull.
    You're probably not the only one hoping for that, because people are very rarely the only ones to hold any given opinion. I'd wager that Oda's a lot more creative than you though, and creativity will get Luffy through the fight. If you and others aren't fine with that. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by kevo_koma View Post
    If the cake is such a priority. Why isn't Streussen cooking it again?
    He got injured after the Cake Chateau fell.
    Spoiler:
    Original Stories:
    Hybrid
    Four Swords

Quote Originally Posted by ralf21 View Post
    How will it be a ass pull ?
    Did you expect Katakuri hax CoA not to have a weakness .
    TLG , FFVIIR and Shenmue 3 2015 the E3 of dreams .

Yeah, of course Katakuri regained his composure and is now committing harder. We've yet to see him use all he's got. Luffy definitely needs some kind of a power up (and trickery like Watch says). After all, tough fights make him grow the most.

Regarding snails, same way they can't track ships that are leaving Totland, they also can't track ships that are entering. For some reason I have an ominous feeling about Totland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko52 View Post
    Nice, an early chapter! I didn't hear anything about this, but it was nice to log on expecting spoilers, and instead being greeted with a full chapter :)

Ahhhh my god. More Praline, I just...I love her lol. I've been lowkey (or maybe more than that, aheh) obsessed with her since she showed up at the start of the arc. While I like Oda's character designs a ton, I'm not usually that attracted to his female characters any more (it's hard to find his lazy/uninspired female character designs that appealing to begin with - I do appreciate him diversifying some more tho this arc) but Praline's design was absolutely striking, and she's easily my *ahem* favorite One Piece 'waifu." Yeah lol. But to see her make not only another appearance, but to play a pretty important minor role, and to be singing an underwater tune with a whole double-spread page....I luuuuuv iiiit. Amazing chapter haha.
    I think I'm in love with Praline too, it's ok to let your love for her be known haha. She's amazing.

Year of Sanji, let's go!

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    He got injured after the Cake Chateau fell.
    I would expect a Yonkou to have someone with a healing Devil Fruit or Doctors who are good enough to revive important characters when they are urgently needed. or have some smelling salts lying around somewhere.

Its just amusing to me that the cake is actually being cooked in the most basic common way. I was not expecting that at all considering the entire arc is themed around food.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

Luffy underestimated Katakuri for a second there and paid dearly for it. When peerless donuts started, he should have Haki up and prepare to take the attack, instead he thought it's mere mochi and he got hit badly without any Haki defense. That will hurt for a while.
    THAT *PIRATE ALLIANCE*!! THE HEAVENLY YAKSHA HAS DEFEATED DOFLAMINGO ~~~~!!

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    You're probably not the only one hoping for that, because people are very rarely the only ones to hold any given opinion. I'd wager that Oda's a lot more creative than you though, and creativity will get Luffy through the fight. If you and others aren't fine with that. Oh well.
    Yeah he's more creative, but he's also bound by the genre's rules and the need to pander to his fans. That aside, if you find making an opponent that outclasses you lose his composure over an insecurity he just so happens to show you 5 minutes ago and then defeating him "creative", Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sereques View Post
    Luffy underestimated Katakuri for a second there and paid dearly for it. When peerless donuts started, he should have Haki up and prepare to take the attack, instead he thought it's mere mochi and he got hit badly without any Haki defense. That will hurt for a while.
    I believe the "that's just mochi" line was a joke because that move was named (and shaped) after donuts instead of mochi like every other Katakuri pulled out.
    FC.0147-0584-2654

Live Fast Grow Fat Roronoa Zacho's Avatar

Watch-man's speculation sounds good. And it is within the "crushing your opponent's dream"-theme Oda likes to Display.
    Oven could be G66-material as Sanji is still busy bakin the cake. On the other Hand they say fight fire with fire, since Oven is a heat-guy.

And those Donuts reminded me of a Chuck-Norris-Joke lol.
    My imagination of Franky's (future) masterpiece: Sunny-Shogun

This explanation from Katakuri also explains how Aokiji and Akainu where able to dodge haki attacks in their logia form during the War at Marineford.
    So they probably have haxed observation Haki aswell.

I think the only way to beat it (in the fair way) is to improve your own observation haki so that it cancell each other out.

While fire vs oven sounds fitting, sanji and oven should pretty much be immune to eachother-s powers so idk how that would ever work. luffy already fights a guy that mirrors his powers.

and note while sanji is there, jimbei and ichiji are going there too.

so You got ichiji, sanji, jimbei powerhouses on one side and oven, perospero going there and daifuku should show up too knowing that0s the meeting place of shs.

ichiji vs oven

sanji vs daifuku. yeah king pf perverts gets to fight the guy that uses his giant will of the D. to fight for himself.

jimbei vs perospero.

capone vs smoothie.

Live Fast Grow Fat Roronoa Zacho's Avatar

I maybe picked the wrong words for "crushing Katakuri's dream", what I wanted to say is, that Katakuri has put quite an effort
    into his Reputation as "always dignified, never with his back on the ground, perfect human". Luffy will probably ruin this very Reputation of him like Watch-man speculated.
    My imagination of Franky's (future) masterpiece: Sunny-Shogun

Hmm, Sanji vs Oven makes sense (IF it is what's happening later on). Boxer with oven fists vs Kick fighter with stove top legs.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information