+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 101

Thread: Warning: "MangaStream" is using mining script in their page

  1. #41
    Discovered Stowaway thegab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    US- Midwest

    Default Re: Warning: "MangaStream" is using mining script in their page

    Got it. Well, I appreciate this. Glad I no longer have the fear of Oda hating me for reading scanlations.

    Is it not illegal then what sites like mangastream do? Do they just remain anonymous and avoid authorities? And how do they steal shipments? People on the inside?

    Sounds sketchy

  2. #42

    Default Re: Warning: "MangaStream" is using mining script in their page

    Quote Originally Posted by thegab View Post
    Got it. Well, I appreciate this. Glad I no longer have the fear of Oda hating me for reading scanlations.

    Is it not illegal then what sites like mangastream do? Do they just remain anonymous and avoid authorities? And how do they steal shipments? People on the inside?

    Sounds sketchy
    It's absolutely 100% illegal. And some sites and suppliers have been caught in and then shut down. But there's only so much officials can do.

    We all sort of accept it because it is what it is, and several years ago the only alternative was to be yeeeeears behind the Japanese release, but nowadays theres just not much excuse.

  3. #43
    Discovered Stowaway thegab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    US- Midwest

    Default Re: Warning: "MangaStream" is using mining script in their page

    Damn. I wonder how much revenue those types of sites take away from the business

  4. #44
    Just as planned choperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Right Behind you! MWHAHAHA

    Default Re: Warning: "MangaStream" is using mining script in their page

    I buy all the volumes when they come out, got all 84 so far and planning to continue to support it

    Member of Beelzebub is Freakin' Awesome Group
    what I'm catching up on currently: Gintama, lone wolf & cub, Nausicań of the Valley of the Wind, and lost in poem (by our very own AP member GEPPETTOSMONSTER)

  5. #45

    Default Re: Warning: "MangaStream" is using mining script in their page

    Some people on this forum, honestly. Greg could say hi to you and the street and you'd try to call him out for interacting with scanlations through you. Give the guy a break. Considering how piracy (heh) driven this forum is, we're lucky to have people like him and Stephen posting at all.

  6. #46

    Default Re: Warning: "MangaStream" is using mining script in their page

    The funniest part is Greg sees the chapters in legit"I am an employee of the company" fashion long before the bootleggers put it out at this point.

    On top of having adamantly stood by supporting the official physical release and vehemently avoiding the spoiler threads for basically forever.

  7. #47
    Don't know, yet ... HTC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    When i find out, i'll tell you

    Default Re: Warning: "MangaStream" is using mining script in their page

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luffy View Post
    Which addon is this?
    This addon: https://imgur.com/a/rLBDr

    EDIT

    Just noticed now that they aren't using the mining script anymore. Odd: it was being used yesterday!
    Last edited by HTC; December 4th, 2017 at 03:02 AM.
    HTC - Hoje Tive Cß

  8. #48

    Default Re: Warning: "MangaStream" is using mining script in their page

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Only problem is that they geoblock.

    Also about the mining script. There are ads that inject mining script into their banners.

  9. #49
    Cutter Chrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Porto, Portugal

    Default Re: Warning: "MangaStream" is using mining script in their page

    The Viz service doesn't reach my country and I still manage to use it by using a VPN proxy. It is still illegal, but at least I'm supporting the authors and the company that offers this service. I'm just not helping my country by paying due taxes, but what can I do
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn. (Socrates (Σωκράτης) method to enlighten people, ca. 500 BC)

  10. #50

    Default Re: Warning: "MangaStream" is using mining script in their page

    Quote Originally Posted by HTC View Post
    Just noticed now that they aren't using the mining script anymore. Odd: it was being used yesterday!
    Now for sure you stopped a wrongdoing!
    You're above all the ppl that are just happy with giving money to the creator of what he likes.

    Congrats HTC.

    Nothing exists; even if something exists, nothing can be known about it. Even if something can be known about it,
    knowledge about it can't be communicated to others
    . Even if it can be communicated, it cannot be understood.

  11. #51

    Default Re: Warning: "MangaStream" is using mining script in their page

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Public discussion? Discussion is discussion unless it's being monetized. It's literally as free as speech unless it's considered damaging.

    Knowingly posting public links and images? Not okay even if it isn't monetized.

    I mean when look at the nitty gritty, that *is* the legal stance.

    Arlong Park is in the wrong, as are any other sites propagating spoiler images or links.

    In fact, reposting images from the manga on Twitter isn't even something that is, legally speaking, supposed to be allowed.

    But some of the license holders are realistic and understand what is and isn't damaging.

    Sometimes they choose not to act because they realize that something isn't damaging.

    Sometimes they cannot act due to certain boundaries.

    And sometimes they're just waiting for the right time.

    As I've had it explained to me by those in charge of these things, those who can be responsible in sharing their fandom will never have an issue. Discussing is a matter of respect for others. The place should be considered.

    But being responsible for posting clearly damaging images and links before they are officially released? That's a no-no.

    So, Lafitte, sorry to say I'm free to discuss here and anywhere else :)

    I've even talked about it with my editors. I know you're reaching for a 'gotcha!' to try and stop me from carrying out discussion, but that's simply not the case.

    You'd be surprised how people like myself who are involved with a series are also involved in fan communities.
    I've been meaning to ask, also because of your videos, is there no Fair Use law in Japan, or something of the sorts?

    The scanlations and spoilers are a big no-no legally speaking, no way to ignore that, but using small bits for academic purposes or public discussion is usually no big deal.
    I know the forums don't count as academic and that most of the time the images used come from scanlation sites but if people used other ways to present the images they needed I don't think there would be that kind of problem since it would be isolated cases.

    In your videos you'd only need a couple of panels or so for each piece of trivia you present, not even the whole page.
    I see alot of video essays on youtube, about comics*, where it is perfectly normal to use a couple or two of pages to dissect and analyze, or about movies/tv shows, where they use a few minutes of footage to show examples (this pertains to actual analyzes/discussion videos, not those videos that are just a funny or cool scene taken straight from the movie).
    What actually stops you from using such model?


    *just leaving this out here, the yt channel is called Strip Panel Naked and it is great.
    if you like comics as a medium and not just the stories they present (nothing wrong with that, btw) definitely check it out

  12. #52

    Default Re: Warning: "MangaStream" is using mining script in their page

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Public discussion? Discussion is discussion unless it's being monetized. It's literally as free as speech unless it's considered damaging.

    Knowingly posting public links and images? Not okay even if it isn't monetized.

    I mean when look at the nitty gritty, that *is* the legal stance.

    Arlong Park is in the wrong, as are any other sites propagating spoiler images or links.

    In fact, reposting images from the manga on Twitter isn't even something that is, legally speaking, supposed to be allowed.

    But some of the license holders are realistic and understand what is and isn't damaging.

    Sometimes they choose not to act because they realize that something isn't damaging.

    Sometimes they cannot act due to certain boundaries.

    And sometimes they're just waiting for the right time.

    As I've had it explained to me by those in charge of these things, those who can be responsible in sharing their fandom will never have an issue. Discussing is a matter of respect for others. The place should be considered.

    But being responsible for posting clearly damaging images and links before they are officially released? That's a no-no.

    So, Lafitte, sorry to say I'm free to discuss here and anywhere else :)

    I've even talked about it with my editors. I know you're reaching for a 'gotcha!' to try and stop me from carrying out discussion, but that's simply not the case.

    You'd be surprised how people like myself who are involved with a series are also involved in fan communities.
    It is kind of funny that the one piece podcast has rogersbase as a frequent guest: He doesn't violate the shady fair use policiy in the US but he makes money with chapter reviews of content that is leaked days before the official release date: that is in my opinion not cool. He could wait until the official release date on monday but he doesn't do that. Once you were even with him on the podcast. #doublestandards

  13. #53
    Arf. (ᵔᴥᵔ) FelRes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SoCal

    Default Re: Warning: "MangaStream" is using mining script in their page

    That is kinda sketchy. (Can we finally abolish youtube reviewers and get them off my suggested content once and for all?)
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー┤)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

  14. #54

    Default Re: Warning: "MangaStream" is using mining script in their page

    Quote Originally Posted by shadyagent View Post
    It is kind of funny that the one piece podcast has rogersbase as a frequent guest: He doesn't violate the shady fair use policiy in the US but he makes money with chapter reviews of content that is leaked days before the official release date: that is in my opinion not cool. He could wait until the official release date on monday but he doesn't do that. Once you were even with him on the podcast. #doublestandards
    So what, you want Greg to boycott the podcast for letting someone on who doesn't follow all of the rules? I don't watch Roger's videos, but I hear him on the podcast and follow him on Twitter. He never spoils anything before the official release, pays for the official release, and -while admitting to reading scans- has never condoned or endorsed the scans. At most he's asked Stephen for clarification on a choice he made compared to the scans.


    Roger doesn't profit from taking a product meant to be sold, distributing it before it's release for free while getting advertising money. He makes videos with discussions. If he were to say "check the manga out here" and link it, then it's another story. Him discussing the chapter in a video is no different than doing it here. The fact that he can make money through Youtubes ad revenue service is irrelevant.


    It would be like saying all of the youtubers that made videos theorizing on Infinity War's leaked trailer months ago are hypocrites because the trailer wasn't actually out. Roger isn't getting money for talking about a chapter that isn't officially released. He's making money for being someone who enough other people enjoy enough that Youtube decided he can get money because he is drawing in advertisers to their platform. Roger can be talking about Oprah's left shoe, or a One Piece spoiler for a chapter 3 weeks from it's official release, it doesn't matter.

    What matters is not funding the people stealing the manga, scanlating it, and releasing it before the official release.

    I also love how Greg gets called out, who makes his own videos that he only links from his twitter and forum in AP, meanwhile there are like 5 or 6 people recently posting chapter reviews in the CHAPTER THREADS THEMSELVES days before the official release. If you wanna talk about people trying to monetize off of an existing fanbase, it's those people.

    Chapters have been coming out on Thursdays/Fridays for a while now, so the gap is closing in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

  15. #55

    Default Re: Warning: "MangaStream" is using mining script in their page

    Quote Originally Posted by Md-Martin View Post

    Roger doesn't profit from taking a product meant to be sold, distributing it before it's release for free while getting advertising money. He makes videos with discussions. If he were to say "check the manga out here" and link it, then it's another story. Him discussing the chapter in a video is no different than doing it here. The fact that he can make money through Youtubes ad revenue service is irrelevant.
    The fact that he is making money through discussing leaked content is the same as hosting scanlations in regards to the fact that part of his income stream relies on a fully illegally leaked content. No user here makes money through discussing the chapter on this board. That is the very difference. You can't excuse the fact it is a shady business if you put ads on content that reviews and discusses leak. I wonder if the movie producer makes money of a trailer in general . LOL that comparisons feels a little bit off. A leaked movie would be a whole different story. But yeah, following that logic it also applies to other areas .

  16. #56

    Default Re: Warning: "MangaStream" is using mining script in their page

    Quote Originally Posted by shadyagent View Post
    The fact that he is making money through discussing leaked content is the same as hosting scanlations in regards to the fact that part of his income stream relies on a fully illegally leaked content.
    No, it really isn't at all. Lets say tomorrow all the scanlations shut down and everyone waits for two or three extra days for the chapter. Roger THEN is fully in the right to make his videos? He'd still be proffiting from discussing the chapters, doing the same thing he does every week. But sure, the activity that would be fine for you if it was simply pushed a few days down the week is the SAME as stealing a scan of a chapter, translating it, uploading it on a website to make money.

    You're also ignoring the part where Roger covers a ton of other stuff and has a fanbase from that. He didn't get advertising money for One Piece reviews. He got them for his content. For him. He is the brand, not One Piece chapters.

    He doesn't rely on fully illegally leaked content, he could just as easily make the videos on mondays, as you suggested. And while I might personally agree with that, you're jumping mountains to put him in the same boat as scanlators.

    Your argument is "nobody makes money here on the forums" as the validation for us discussing it in a public forum, but not him. So what?

    The problem with the scanlators is that it DIRECTLY takes would-be paying customers of the official release and takes them away. Rather than pay, they can get chapters a few days earlier for free. And the uploaders and scanlators make profit from advertising. They are directly profiting from TAKING consumers.

    Roger making video discussions does not take a PENNY away from the official release. He's ranted on the podcast about how he wishes the scanlations would stop because of their inaccuracies as a result of rushing to get it out. I understand what you're saying, that it's somehow morally wrong to get profit on something not technically out.

    But you're literally comparing the equivalent of a guy uploading movie torrents online, to someone reviewing a movie before it officially came out. With that reviewer consistently supporting and advertising the official release.

    And bringing it up in a discussion that you tried to use to someone say Greg has a double standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

  17. #57
    POE WUN BGR Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Shadow Aaron Island

    Default Re: Warning: "MangaStream" is using mining script in their page

    Quote Originally Posted by shadyagent View Post
    It is kind of funny that the one piece podcast has rogersbase as a frequent guest: He doesn't violate the shady fair use policiy in the US but he makes money with chapter reviews of content that is leaked days before the official release date: that is in my opinion not cool. He could wait until the official release date on monday but he doesn't do that. Once you were even with him on the podcast. #doublestandards

    Out of respect for the OPP (which tries a helluva lot harder than *literally* every other fan outlet to be legit) I don't discuss particulars in detail in public.

    I will say that due to circumstances my feelings of a YTer's presence went from opposed to cautious to where it currently stands at irrevocably broken.

    There was a time where I felt a YTer was making a genuine attempt to go legit and almost *immediately* after that, my trust was broken.

    Aaaand, that's all that really needs to be said.

    Somebody asked about image use. Happy to answer over in my thread but as Fel said, this ain't the place for it.

  18. #58

    Default Re: Warning: "MangaStream" is using mining script in their page

    I use Jaimini, anyway.


  19. #59
    Discovered Stowaway thegab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    US- Midwest

    Default Re: Warning: "MangaStream" is using mining script in their page

    So what's stopping this forum from being more legit? Couldn't we get rid of the spoiler section and not start new chapter threads till after the official release?

  20. #60
    Cutter Chrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Porto, Portugal

    Default Re: Warning: "MangaStream" is using mining script in their page

    I would say we could, but like the YTers, the traffic would significantly decrease since most people read scanlations and want to discuss the chapters as soon as they read them. As you can see, chapter threads usually die by Monday (or almost, or become a random discussion between 3 or 4 persons). So it will be an emptier place and will be weird for people who are used to reading scanlations and cannot access the Viz version in their countries. The ideal world would see scanlations release on the same day as the official version, so that everyone can access the chapters at the same time and not harm the offcial product. They would of course still be illegal, but their appeal would significantly diminish if a better, official version is out earlier/simultaneously.
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn. (Socrates (Σωκράτης) method to enlighten people, ca. 500 BC)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts