+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning: "MangaStream" is using mining script in their page

Default Warning: "MangaStream" is using mining script in their page

So says the mining blocker addon i'm using with firefox 57.

This is just a heads up!

Only noticed it today: hadn't notice it before.

I usually read One Piece (and others) from MangaStream's. Went to check if new manga had been released and ... surprise ... mining script blocked ...
    HTC - Hoje Tive C

Default Re: Warning: "MangaStream" is using mining script in their page

what is mining script?

Explain what's bad about that and explain why you're still using mangastream.
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    Explain what's bad about that and explain why you're still using mangastream.
    While you're reading the manga, the site's owner gets your PC's power (dunno if CPU only or if it also taps into GPU) to run a bit of bitcoin mining. However small it is for a single person, it adds up with the amount of traffic the site gets, thus they get money out of it.

That's how i understood it, anyway.
    HTC - Hoje Tive C

And yet, in spite of this and in spite of their shoddy, first-draft tier scripts, they still ask for donations. Even if they did hire the proofreader they so obviously need, they still wouldn't deserve it.

I appreciate getting an early look at the chapter as much as anyone here, but they really shouldn't be getting money for it in any way, shape or form. There aren't people out there who actually give these guys money, is there?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    And yet, in spite of this and in spite of their shoddy, first-draft tier scripts, they still ask for donations. Even if they did hire the proofreader they so obviously need, they still wouldn't deserve it.

I appreciate getting an early look at the chapter as much as anyone here, but they really shouldn't be getting money for it in any way, shape or form. There aren't people out there who actually give these guys money, is there?
    Those unaware of the mining script are doing just that while using their site.
    HTC - Hoje Tive C

Thanks for the heads-up! :)

(I prefer jaiminsibox anyway. They have a better translation of the chapters compared to Mangastream in my opinion.)

Avatar: Series: No Game No Life; Character: Jibril; Artist: Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by HTC View Post
    While you're reading the manga, the site's owner gets your PC's power (dunno if CPU only or if it also taps into GPU) to run a bit of bitcoin mining. However small it is for a single person, it adds up with the amount of traffic the site gets, thus they get money out of it.

That's how i understood it, anyway.
    Okay, but how does that negatively affect anyone reading from it? Is that like a virus or something?

The warning is good to know. So thank you.

But here's why it doesn't matter.

Any scan site that you visit is benfitting from your access by virtue of you accessing it.

So nobody should have a problem with this.

It's accepted that you are literally contributing to someone's wealth by accessing that material.

Even if there was a location w/o ads or mining, you are thereby adding fame which can easily be monetized in this age.

So, good on ya HTC. It's important info. But visiting scan sites is having the same result one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post

Any scan site that you visit is benfitting from your access by virtue of you accessing it.

It's accepted that you are literally contributing to someone's wealth by accessing that material.

Even if there was a location w/o ads or mining, you are thereby adding fame which can easily be monetized in this age.

So, good on ya HTC. It's important info. But visiting scan sites is having the same result one way or another.
    Dunno if it's the case in this particular situation but suggest you read this article.
    HTC - Hoje Tive C

Thanks for the article!

Not saying it isn't a bad thing. Just that the end result is the same no matter where you visit.

This is just a heads up!

I usually read One Piece (and others) from MangaStream's. Went to check if new manga had been released and ... surprise ... mining script blocked ...
    pist this on the op reddit and/or the manga one

This is super shady
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post

How about visiting arlongpark.net or orojackson.com and thereby adding fame to these sites which can easily be monetized in this age?

Quote Originally Posted by Laffitte Doflamingo View Post
    How about visiting arlongpark.net or orojackson.com and thereby adding fame to these sites which can easily be monetized in this age?
    Your point being...?

Quote Originally Posted by thegab View Post
    Your point being...?
    I simply want to get an answer. I want Greg's opinion on this since he brought it up himself.

Visiting scanlation sites or spoiler sites isn't the right thing, no matter whether the site carries ads or not. I totally agree.

But, visiting forums/communities like this where spoilers are shared, links to (or the names of) scanlation sites are shared and even screen caps of digital manga are directly shared, is it right?
    Even though one may not read spoilers nor click on the scanlation links, is it right to visit such a forum/community? Especially when he or she clearly knows that there are such things shared on the sites where he/she is going to visit.

Not to say Greg, who officially works for one-piece.com, just for us, just for an ordinary ONE PIECE fan like you and me, is it right?

As a ONE PIECE fan, I legally support ONE PIECE in a number of ways. But still, as a ONE PIECE fan, I can't stop myself discussing the manga with other fans, I can't stop myself listening to other fans' ideas about the manga, nor do I want to miss out those interesting news/interviews/contributions etc.. That's why I visit forums. And yet, I know that among these other fans, a lot of them read spoilers and scanlations. So I've been constantly wondering whether it is right. I'm confused.
    Last edited by Laffitte Doflamingo; December 2nd, 2017 at 11:39 PM.

Public discussion? Discussion is discussion unless it's being monetized. It's literally as free as speech unless it's considered damaging.

Knowingly posting public links and images? Not okay even if it isn't monetized.

I mean when look at the nitty gritty, that *is* the legal stance.

Arlong Park is in the wrong, as are any other sites propagating spoiler images or links.

In fact, reposting images from the manga on Twitter isn't even something that is, legally speaking, supposed to be allowed.

But some of the license holders are realistic and understand what is and isn't damaging.

Sometimes they choose not to act because they realize that something isn't damaging.

Sometimes they cannot act due to certain boundaries.

And sometimes they're just waiting for the right time.

As I've had it explained to me by those in charge of these things, those who can be responsible in sharing their fandom will never have an issue. Discussing is a matter of respect for others. The place should be considered.

But being responsible for posting clearly damaging images and links before they are officially released? That's a no-no.

So, Lafitte, sorry to say I'm free to discuss here and anywhere else :)

I've even talked about it with my editors. I know you're reaching for a 'gotcha!' to try and stop me from carrying out discussion, but that's simply not the case.

You'd be surprised how people like myself who are involved with a series are also involved in fan communities.
    Last edited by Greg; December 3rd, 2017 at 12:46 AM.

Greg, thanks for your response.

From a legal standpoint, what you just said is correct and what you have been doing is legal. But that was not my point/focus.

I would like to focus on this discussion from a moral standpoint. That's my real interest.

The rest of this post, you probably won't agree with, nor do you have to.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of being damaging,

Discussion itself is not damaging. Even discussion with people who reads scans/spoilers is not damaging. However, participating in discussions on arlongpark.net adds fame, which attracts more people to this site, which in turn makes the illegal contents/links/information exposed to more people and thereby potentially causes a decrease in the number of legal content buyers. That is damaging. If one knows this and still participates in the discussion, then he/she is guilty, at least from a moral standpoint.

As for following someone on twitter, or subscribing someone on YouTube, Similar arguments apply. The actions themselves are not damaging but from a moral standpoint nobody can walk away without guilt by simply ignoring the damaging side effects.

That being said, nobody is 100% innocent, from a moral standpoint.

That's not the problem, as we are all human beings.

The problem is that a guilty person takes the moral high ground.

so, speaking of you, Greg,

It is free and legal for you to have discussions on arlongpark.net. It is also free and legal for you to advertise yourself here so as to expand your fan base, making use of the resource and popularity of arlongpark.net which "is in the wrong". Although consider that as morally guilty, I wouldn't have a problem with that and I would treat you the same as those big shots YouTubers.

Or, if the one and the ONLY kind of activities you have here is talking people out of illegal contents, I wouldn't have a problem with you taking the moral high ground. But unfortunately that's not the case.

Being morally guilty and taking the moral high ground, they are not compatible, they simply can't go together.

That is the problem.

By showing off the fact that you officially works for one-piece.com and the claim that you have a fair amount of interaction with the editors and even the author(s), you are simply making the problem worse.

The fact that you being a teacher (not sure if you still are), puts an even darker shade on this. Kids are watching.

That is why I disrespect you.

Greg, thanks for your response.

From a legal standpoint, what you just said is correct and what you have been doing is legal. But that was not my point/focus.

I would like to focus on this discussion from a moral standpoint. That's my real interest.

The rest of this post, you probably won't agree with, nor do you have to.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of being damaging,

Discussion itself is not damaging. Even discussion with people who reads scans/spoilers is not damaging. However, participating in discussions on arlongpark.net adds fame, which attracts more people to this site, which in turn makes the illegal contents/links/information exposed to more people and thereby potentially causes a decrease in the number of legal content buyers. That is damaging. If one knows this and still participates in the discussion, then he/she is guilty, at least from a moral standpoint.

As for following someone on twitter, or subscribing someone on YouTube, Similar arguments apply. The actions themselves are not damaging but from a moral standpoint nobody can walk away without guilt by simply ignoring the damaging side effects.

That being said, nobody is 100% innocent, from a moral standpoint.

That's not the problem, as we are all human beings.

The problem is that a guilty person takes the moral high ground.

so, speaking of you, Greg,

It is free and legal for you to have discussions on arlongpark.net. It is also free and legal for you to advertise yourself here so as to expand your fan base, making use of the resource and popularity of arlongpark.net which "is in the wrong". Although consider that as morally guilty, I wouldn't have a problem with that and I would treat you the same as those big shots YouTubers.

Or, if the one and the ONLY kind of activities you have here is talking people out of illegal contents, I wouldn't have a problem with you taking the moral high ground. But unfortunately that's not the case.

Being morally guilty and taking the moral high ground, they are not compatible, they simply can't go together.

That is the problem.

By showing off the fact that you officially works for one-piece.com and the claim that you have a fair amount of interaction with the editors and even the author(s), you are simply making the problem worse.

The fact that you being a teacher (not sure if you still are), puts an even darker shade on this. Kids are watching.

That is why I disrespect you.
    No problem mate! I deal with a lot of people who disrespect me. Just part of the job!

And I assume you feel the same way about the creative team which is aware of my online presence. So... I guess you don't respect One Piece? Anyway, not my business and I'm not here to tell you how to feel.

I can respectfully ask you not to harass me but like I said you do what you gotta do!

That is why I disrespect you.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    That would make you one of the few, one of the pitifully few that do.

Like the Avatar? / Like the Miis?
    3DS FC: 4468-0979-5223 / Wii U ID: JSHerstein

This is just a heads up!

Which addon is this?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information