+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Top-Selling Manga 2017 in Japan (One Piece 1st again!!)

Default Top-Selling Manga 2017 in Japan (One Piece 1st again!!)

Here Oricon Manga sales from November 21, 2016 to November 19, 2017.

Top 10 Best Selling Manga Series 2017

https://www.oricon.co.jp/special/50490/7/

1 - One Piece (11,495,532 copies).
    2 - Shingeki no Kyojin (6,622,781 copies).
    3 - Kingdom (6,184,214 copies).
    4 - Boku no Hero Academia (5,852,310 copies).
    5 - Tokyo Ghoul:re (5,303,514 copies).
    6 - Haikyű!! (5,067,939 copies).
    7 - Nanatsu no Taizai (3,592,571 copies).
    8 - One Punch-Man (3,223,151 copies).
    9 - Shokugeki no Souma (2,792,441 copies).
    10 - Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic (2,713,074 copies).

Top 10 Best Selling Manga Volumes 2017

https://www.oricon.co.jp/special/50490/5/
    https://www.oricon.co.jp/special/50490/6/

1 - One Piece 84 (2,730,184 copies).
    2 - One Piece 85 (2,688,847 copies).
    3 - One Piece 86 (2,496,033 copies).
    4 - One Piece 87 (2,040,375 copies).
    5 - Shingeki no Kyojin 21 (1,701,237 copies).
    6 - Shingeki no Kyojin 22 (1,649,614 copies).
    7 - Shingeki no Kyojin 23 (1,469,864 copies).
    8 - Hunter x Hunter 34 (1,258,337 copies).
    9 - Tokyo Ghoul:re 09 (961,396 copies).
    10 - Tokyo Ghoul:re 10 (920,372 copies).
    49 - One Piece 83 (518,000 copies).

Last year sales: http://www.arlongpark.net/showthread.php?t=44692

Default Re: Top-Selling Manga 2017 in Japan (One Piece 1st again!!)

Bit of a dip from last year but that's to be expected given the state of the market (other long runners decreased as well).

Vol 87 just came out so I expect it to finish at around 11.5-11.6. I wonder what gave Vol 83 a half million sales. It was the last volume of 2016 but it came out in November, and you don't really see a volume doing half a million that late in the game.

Thanks redon!

The numbers definitely verify the trend I've been noticing the past 3 years.

Forgot how to use the graph tool of google sheets, and like half of the series are fresh introduction to the top 10, so I should look up their past sales.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    Pokemon X

Woohoo! ^^

One Piece is not even close to the other ones in the list! The series just crushes its competition! o:

Avatar: Series: No Game No Life; Character: Jibril; Artist: Unknown

Huh. Didn't realize Kingdom was that popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Sibersk Esto View Post
    Bit of a dip from last year but that's to be expected given the state of the market (other long runners decreased as well).

Vol 87 just came out so I expect it to finish at around 11.5-11.6. I wonder what gave Vol 83 a half million sales. It was the last volume of 2016 but it came out in November, and you don't really see a volume doing half a million that late in the game.
    That was because the counting ended November 20th-ish and thus on the 2016 record Vol 83 sold 2.2~2.3 million copies. The rest half a million of Vol 83 simply got rolled over to 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Thanks redon!

The numbers definitely verify the trend I've been noticing the past 3 years.
    The trend being?

Quote Originally Posted by All Fiction View Post
    The trend being?
    The sales are going down ever since Marineford.
    Spoiler:
    Original Stories:
    Hybrid
    Four Swords

Going down? I thought the number for each year volumes maintain around 2.5 millions which is the trend for past couple of years. Yes its not as high as during the marineford war which were around 3 millions but thats during the booming. I like it better this way, so we can see the numbers during normal circumstances.

Here is a resume of One Piece sales over the years that I collected in past threads for those interested

This year seems very similar to 2016 to me. I guess the reasons for this (relative) decline would be some weaker arcs (at least from what we could read here) but also the fact that the serie has got even more lengthy that it was and shows no sign of improvement. This is definitlely a big drawback to attract new readers.

The thing is that after the giant 10th anniversary-strong world-Marineford war arc boost, a lot of people caught up, but from now on not many people will go out of their way to get 80+ volumes of One Piece, and meanwhile some people will stop buying it.

Also, the top ten total sales also shrink with each year, I think. So either global manga decline or sales more distributed outside the top 10.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    Pokemon X

Good work, redon!
    Here's my translation for Oda's comment about the news yesterday that ONE PIECE is the best-selling manga in Japan for 10 consecutive years in 2017. This ranking started 10 years ago.

Oda: I'm honored to hear that ONE PIECE is the best-selling manga for 10 consecutive years!! Thank you for tallying the numbers every year. I keep in mind that I should obtain as many readers as possible. I've experienced that people can make friends via talking about manga ever since I was a kid. I love being number one. I won't forget feeling of gratitude. I'll make every effort to make ONE PIECE the best manga in terms of both records and people's memory!! Thank you so much!!

* According to editors live streaming in 2017, Oda sometimes gladly says, "I have a Guinness World Records." (the title for having the "Most copies published for the same comic book series by a single author")

source: https://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2101678/amp/

Thanks sandman for the translation!!!

Guys, remember that Oricon Manga sales count only paper version of Manga Volumes. Digital sales are not included.

Digital sales have been growing year by year in the last 3-4 years in Japan. It's normal that physical sales had decrease in last years becouse of digital sales.
    Last edited by redon; December 3rd, 2017 at 06:49 AM.

The trend can be interpreted in so many different ways, and most of them sound very plausible.
    1-Post-timeskip arcs are not as exciting to the audience as the pre-timeskip ones. I don't think this is the case, but further search is necessary.
    2-People dislike the separation of the strawhats, some will only buy volumes that has their favorite one. Again, this highly unlikely to be the case, as Luffy, Nami, Sanji, Chopper, and Jinbe were all in the top 10 in the latest poll, and are all present in the current arc. Furthermore, one of the most popular arcs, the battle of marineford, only had Luffy. But still, having the full crew in one place might increase the sales.
    3-Marketing problems. I don't know if this is really the case, specially with the spectacular 20th anniversary campaign, but maybe they should've adverised the current arc instead of Wano. Maybe adveritse relevant characters, arcs, and moments, instead of showing "I wanna live" in game trailers, maybe they should show "Raizou is safe" or "Without you I can't become the pirate king" moments.
    4-The stagnation of the anime. I mean seriously, even with the extra care put in the recent anime episodes, one can't deny that the anime is in a bad state. With a bad timeslot, an uneven airing of episodes across the country, and a lack of filler arcs, the anime has all the ingredients to be less than optimal. Perhaps they should adapt the ace novels, the omakes, andthe cover stories, at least make it something other than "One Piece manga the anime".
    5-Franchise fatigue. This is self explanatory. People are bound to get tired from reading a series for 20 years straight. Thankfully, the solution here is simple, just let people rest for a while, stop making hugely advertised big movies, specials, and games, and then boom, revive the hype for the next important arc.
    6-Weekly Shonen Jump decline. Yes, WSJ is currently facing a slow but apparent decline. A strong compitetor in WSJ is important because it drives people to buy new issues, and inderectly causes more people to get exposed to the new chapter of One Piece, this facilitates new discussions regarding the new chapters, which can cause more people to buy the volumes.
    7-The manga industry itself is facing problems. With the increased, and still increasing accessibility of the internet, pirating the chapters is becoming more and more common. The industry itself started taking measures. Another problem could be that with many manga out there, people are getting exhausted . There's nothing that can be done about that though.
    8-The decreasing birthrate. Sadly, this dilemma can only be solved by the government.

Thankfully, the trend isn't bothering me all that much, because I believe it'll end with the upcoming olympics. And even if it didn't, the masses that bought all 60 volumes of One Piece will certainly buy the rest, next year, the year after, or maybe after the manga ends. Yet, the idea that potential fans are being pushed away stings me as well.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by redon View Post
    Thanks sandman for the translation!!!

Guys, remember that Oricon Manga sales count only paper version of Manga Volumes. Digital sales are not included.

Digital sales have been growing year by year in the last 3-4 years in Japan. It's normal that physical sales had decrease in last years becouse of digital sales.
    16 characters of totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    Good work, redon!
    Here's my translation for Oda's comment about the news yesterday that ONE PIECE is the best-selling manga in Japan for 10 consecutive years in 2017. This ranking started 10 years ago.

Oda: I'm honored to hear that ONE PIECE is the best-selling manga for 10 consecutive years!! Thank you for tallying the numbers every year. I keep in mind that I should obtain as many readers as possible. I've experienced that people can make friends via talking about manga ever since I was a kid. I love being number one. I won't forget feeling of gratitude. I'll make every effort to make ONE PIECE the best manga in terms of both records and people's memory!! Thank you so much!!

* According to editors live streaming in 2017, Oda sometimes gladly says, "I have a Guinness World Records." (the title for having the "Most copies published for the same comic book series by a single author")

source: https://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2101678/amp/
    Yea, this is the key thing to keep in mind. One Piece has most likely been #1 for more than 10 years, but there's no Oricon data from before 2007.

I remember reading some discussions on Mangahelper that said One Piece has been no.1 since 1998/99 except for 2 years where manga Nana and Naruto managed to steal that spot. Its been a while, I cannot find the discussion.

Nothing new about One Piece, great to see Kingdom doing so good again... hope that its enough for a release in germany...

Nanatsu winning over OPM?? Jajajajaja, what a shame, japan, but mostly for ONE. He needs to continue doing his version asap.

Nothing exists; even if something exists, nothing can be known about it. Even if something can be known about it,
    knowledge about it can't be communicated to others
    . Even if it can be communicated, it cannot be understood.

One Piece goes strong as always and we should wait what numbers Wano will give us. (not even thinking of a future big finale, which will boost the series again)
    The epic battle of BusterCall vs. Don is decided !!!
    And the results are 3:2 for Don..

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information