+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Best/Worst Moments of 2017

Default Re: Best/Worst Moments of 2017

Hm... Let's see... It's been a pretty polarizing year in general.

10. Vinsmokes squaring up - The moment the Vinsmokes decided to put on their raiding gear and go on the offensive against the Big Mom Pirates was incredibly powerful. Especially the panel where Ichiji punches Perospero in his face, I've always found highly memorable for whatever reason. It just strikes me as superkinetic.

9. Big Mom striking down Judge - On the flipside though, this moment made Big Mom look beastly.

8. Pedro's sacrifice - Whether he stays dead or not, I never really cared for Pedro. I can't really tell you anything about his character or personality. But his sacrifice felt really impactful, whether it comes full circle and he really dies or not.

7. Perospero getting a lot of shine - I didn't think this guy would be all that fleshed out, but I think Peros has become one of the more interesting one of the Charlotte siblings.

6. Big Mom Tsunami - My jaw literally dropped at this moment.

5. Big Vater - Incredible ability, very distinct design, did a lot to build up Capone. Really great all around.

4. Su Long Carrot - Another character I felt didn't have anything to do and I was seriously starting to question her worth in the story. But her badassery against Daifuku's fleet was brilliant. One of the most well executed moments in the arc by far. One can only wonder what Nekomamushi and Inuarashi would be like under Fullmoon.

3. Strawhat Teamwork - This is some stuff we haven't seen since Thriller bark. The fact that everyone got an opportunity to be completely badass was a great turn of events. Considering most of the arc has been people questioning why character X,Y,Z didn't do Z,Y,X.

2. Big Mom Flashback- Although it's located rather awkwardly in a place I would prefer to not have an extended flashback. I can't deny that it was great.

1. Katakuri - God what an impression this character has left. He's the trending topic across the board, his abilities and gravitas, along with the fact that he isn't even the main Bad Guy has made him akin to the Darth Vader of One Piece. Easily one of the coolest, most memorable and brilliantly constructed characters in the series so far and that's saying something.

--Worst moments---

5. Sanji being a fuckboy - He's been disapointing since 2016 and has continued to disapoint the whole year. A few cool moments here and there has made me hopeful, but by and large he just looks stupid.

4. Pudding -For a moment I really loved the fact that she was all Yandere, weird and cruel. That was a nice twist. Everything after has been the literal oposite of what I wanted. The only way to turn this around would be if she shot Sanji down after the ..ugh... the thing that should not be mentioned has been delivered.

3. Smoothie - It's a shame, because I think this character has tons of potential that can still be utilized. What was done with her this year however, wasn't good at all. Amazing design, disapointing usage in the story. It's not too late for her to actually do something. But so far, I'm disapointed with what's happened to her.

2. A bit too much of the old running around and escaping stuff - It's fine when you read it in one go. It gets on your nerves when you read it weekly.

1. The cakebaking - God I hate this shit so much. I hated it when people started jinxing it on the forum and in comment sections. When it seemed as if it wouldn't happen I puffed my chest out and laughed at all the plebians who had been throwing the idea around. Surely Oda wouldn't do this at this point. I mean Sanji has no reason to agree to anything Pudding suggests. And what about the pacing of the story? And then it happened... Goddamnit, I hate it so much. It's absolutely infuriating to even think about the fact that it has happened and I want it revisioned out of the series.

Best chapters:

The salt is real with the cake.

The salt is real when Pell was alive
    The salt is real when Tobi is Obito
    The salt is real about the cake

yeah sure because its terrible.
    OPTC (JPN) FC: 223.189.439

Nah cake is great.

Spoiler:

Imo the cake delivery isnt gonna be a cakewalk so thats where sanji will get even extra focus
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

worst: not a fan of sanji-s new past and family.

best: pudding falling for sanji. Yes, it is over, after 20 years of full rejection, 2 years living with okamas, nosebleed to death, way too many sanji pervert jokes, it looks like it is over.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    lol was looking for this for so long, thanks.

Cake the best even without the amounts of salt and schadenfreude it brought out specially from the fight and go down crew on places like Oro.

Its just cool OP way to have the ending.

Best Moments:
    • Linlin's past
    • Sanji's So-Delicious-I-Could-Die Wedding Cake
    • Praline assisting the Sun Pirates
    • Everything Jinbei
    Not So Good Moments:
    • Pedro's "death"
    • Smoothie's continued absence
    Moments I'm Indifferent to:
    • Carrot's Su Long
    • Pudding's second heel-turn
    • Katakuri vs. Luffy
    The face of a Straw Hat.

Best moments:
    10) Nami getting Zeus on her side. Possible power up?
    9) Brook's first fight with Big Mom. Brook asking of skinny Mom to see her panties and then slashing Zeus.
    8) Firetank and Mugiwara pirates meeting.
    7) Katakuri's face reveal.
    6) Pound's sacrifice.
    5) Streusen turning the Whole Cake Chateau into soft cake.
    4) Assassination attempt on Big Mom.
    3) Sanji choosing to take food to Luffy.
    2) Almost everything about Yonkou's chase.
    1) Horrible and controversal moment towards the end of little Linlin's story. I'm finding this flashback is a little underappreciated since it's one of the most interesting and original storywise of them and one of those rare gems planted in manga that pushes Oda as a storywriter.

Worst moments:
    5) Reusing of Nami getting Zeus on her side during the chase with Big Mom.
    4) Handling of Pedro's death.
    3) Still No big moments for Chopper.
    2) Handling of Germa 66, their relevance still feels questionable and their roles in this arc seems rushed.
    1) Almost all the things about Jinbe, how he evaded Mom's trial, how he easily saved mugivaras in the Whole Cake Chateau, everything about him in this arc feels a little deus ex machina. Still don't know how to feel about him joining.

Quote Originally Posted by STP_PS View Post
    I'm trying my best to understand your answer here but I'm hopelessly at a loss. What does Luffy have to do with Sanji evading Katakuri's bean shot? can you enlighten me please?
    Cause the equation about what the best and worst, without a doubt, Luffy is in the worst group.
    Lately, everything that Luffy does, it makes the plot go for the worse, and there you have it putting a scenario where mah boi Katakuri couldn't do a thing to prevent it.
    So, even Katakuri greatness can't take over Luffy + Sanji failness.
    Nothing exists; even if something exists, nothing can be known about it. Even if something can be known about it,
    knowledge about it can't be communicated to others
    . Even if it can be communicated, it cannot be understood.

My memory is pretty terrible, but let's try anyway.

The Good
    1. Brook. He's the MVP of 2017.
    2. Katakuri's Reveal. If Brook is the hero MVP of 2017, then Katakuri is the villain MVP. And of all his moments I adore the reveal. I laughed so hard.
    3. Big Mom vs The Crew. I love these chapters so much. Seeing Big Mom wreck the Sunny was epic (and sad).
    4. A lot of Character Moments. There's too many to list individually. Jinbei and Nami have both gotten some awesome moments, along with lots of teamwork. Bege has always been a favorite of mine, and this year he exceeded all my expectations. Brulee was hilarious and Mont'd'or remains a favorite. And Perospero.
    5. Big Mom's flashback. Semla!
    6. Carrot's Transformation. I was worried about Carrot's not doing anything, but her transformation has laid most of my worries to rest. So awesome!
    7. Pound's Sacrifice. Despite not playing a major role I really grew to like him. His sacrifice, whether or not he survived, helped create some closure to Lola and Chiffon's story.
    The Bad
    1. Pudding. Violet did a better job. Pudding being bullied for her third eye while living on an island filled with people from all races is the most stupid thing all year and I hope there's some explanation for that.
    2. The Forgotten Characters. Chopper, who didn't get his moment to shine. Smoothie, who despite being one of the big three have become a background character beneath the likes of Mont'D'Or, Opera, Oven, Daifuku, Brulee and even freaking Galette. And finally the Germa 66, while they got a moment in the beginning of the year they have disappeared from the story. There's also the underground characters, but I don't really mind them being forgotten.
    3. The Chase. The arc is starting to drag a bit.
    Question of the Year: Why is Smoothie a Sweet Commander and not Perospero.

Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    Pudding. Violet did a better job. Pudding being bullied for her third eye while living on an island filled with people from all races is the most stupid thing all year and I hope there's some explanation for that.
    I mean, she's the only 3-eye tribe person there. There's multiple snakenecks, merfolk, etc, but she's alone as far as people with three eyes goes. She sticks out. It's not really hard to swallow that she would be picked on for it.
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

If such a diverse environment allowing bullying doesn't make sense, consider southeastern europe
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Dranza View Post
    Bege becoming one of the best supernovas when previously he was, let's face it, near the bottom of everyone's list. He's provide a lot of comedy goal and without his presence we wouldn't have Gangster Gastino. Nuff said.

Now onto the bad:

Luffy conveniently finding Brulee lounging around in mirror world.
    I agree with what you said but esp. with Bege Capone. I love how he was given some character to his character. He was from a gangster-slash-pirate with a bland personality that many thought from SA, to a gangster-slash-pirate that's a loving family man with many quirks, such as invading personal space when whispering threats to Sanji or Luffy. Actually he takes the invading personal space to a new degree.

And then there is this=

I have to agree with people saying one of the worst moments is any of Smoothie. She has the highest bounty for any female at 932,000,000, yet we never see why she would have that.
    I wish I resisted the spoils, the butthurt is making my eyes roll so hard, I now have nausea.

Bege is much more interesting now with his quirks and gags, though I bet you could find people who don't like the direction taken for him.

gotta admit, was one of the guys who thought he was boring in Sabaody but i'm glad im wrong. I do wish he had an actual fight though.
    OPTC (JPN) FC: 223.189.439

Quote Originally Posted by BroBro View Post
    gotta admit, was one of the guys who thought he was boring in Sabaody but i'm glad im wrong. I do wish he had an actual fight though.
    His moments were impressive the reveal of Big Father being a walking fortress that tanked a lot of hits from the big lady herself. His pistol scope from out at sea against oven, that was crazy. His ability to turn his ship into a vehicular caterpillar and then crunching Oven as he hilariously ran him over. His funny sure fire tactical plans that fail hard. His speech to his son "this is the way your daddy lives" while coming back to retrieve Chiffon. His and Sanji's banter. He has had so many standout moments, amazing development and focus for him.

I actually can't tell if that unique ship of his that can traverse land is his ability or was built that way...

Year of Sanji, let's go!

Top 10 moments

1.Gear 4 Luffy clashing with Big Mom
    2. Luffy and Katakuri gear 3 clash
    3. Katakuri's eating quirk reveal
    4. Gear 4 VS Katakuri
    5. Capone Bege, pretty much everything about him
    6. Wedding entrance
    7. Brook smashing mother caramel's photo
    8. Big Mom's flashback
    9. Jinbie joining the crew
    10. Full moon Carrot

5 worst moments:
    1. Straw hats running from Big Mom in the forest
    2. Nami taking control of Zeus in the forest
    3. Bobbins
    4. "I wanna go back to the sunny"
    5. "Lets make a cake that will make Big Mom faint"
    Last edited by Young Master; January 8th, 2018 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Young Master View Post
    Top 10 moments

1.Gear 4 Luffy clashing with Big Mom
    2. Luffy and Katakuri gear 3 clash
    3. Katakuri's eating quirk reveal
    4. Gear 4 VS Katakuri
    5. Capone Bege, pretty much everything about him
    6. Wedding entrance
    7. Brook smashing mother caramel's photo
    8. Big Mom's flashback
    9. Jinbie joining the crew