+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: General Square Enix Thread II

Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

“We’re committed to delivering an incredible, completely original Avengers experience to our gamers, and that means we are always looking to add amazing developers to our existing best in class studio talent,” said Scot Amos, Co-Head of Studio at Crystal Dynamics. “As development progresses, our studio continues to grow. The tremendous progress we’ve made on The Avengers project further drives us toward our goal of crafting something all Marvel fans will be proud of, and will play for years to come. We can’t wait to show you what we mean in the future.”
    http://crystaldynamics.tumblr.com/po...visceral-games

If people didn't believe this game would have service elements.

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

I'm just hoping "all Marvel fans" isn't really "all MCU fans" like with Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite. Take a page from the Batman Arkham games and Spider-Man PS4 where all the lore from any medium can be mish-mashed into a new reinterpretation.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    I'm just hoping "all Marvel fans" isn't really "all MCU fans" like with Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite. Take a page from the Batman Arkham games and Spider-Man PS4 where all the lore from any medium can be mish-mashed into a new reinterpretation.
    While occasionally creating a mess or weirdness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    While occasionally creating a mess or weirdness.
    You mean like how Arkham Knight tries to be a pseudo-Under the Red Hood adaptation despite the fact Jason Todd is never acknowledged in previous games? So it's like the game is relying on fans to know a popular Batman story from other continuities? Yeah, I see what you mean.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    You mean like how Arkham Knight tries to be a pseudo-Under the Red Hood adaptation despite the fact Jason Todd is never acknowledged in previous games? So it's like the game is relying on fans to know a popular Batman story from other continuities? Yeah, I see what you mean.
    I kind of was referring to things like Batman and Deathstroke having a tank battle in the middle of downtown Gotham but that (and the other half nod to The Killing Joke) too.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    I kind of was referring to things like Batman and Deathstroke having a tank battle in the middle of downtown Gotham but that (and the other half nod to The Killing Joke) too.
    The tank battle isn't really the issue so much as that Deathstroke ONLY got a tank battle lol.

Spoiler:

Hopefully SE and Disney are planning to release content update for the games around the time of movie releases, then again what publisher wouldn't be smart enough to do that.

Oh shit. I just realized SE and Disney are working on something that is not Kingdom Hearts.

Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
    Hopefully SE and Disney are planning to release content update for the games around the time of movie releases, then again what publisher wouldn't be smart enough to do that.
    Almost none generally because games based on movies tend to suck.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2018...s/#sf180699949

Motomu Toriyama
    The best: Final Fantasy XIII
    Why: Because I can confront any powerful enemy if I’m with Lightning, the strongest heroine.
    Toriyama is very devoted to say the least.

I never finished Dragon Quest VIII back in the day, but I feel like I'm actually making headway on the re-release. I'm almost ready to take on Dhoulmagus! (and yes, I know he's not the final boss)

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    I never finished Dragon Quest VIII back in the day, but I feel like I'm actually making headway on the re-release. I'm almost ready to take on Dhoulmagus! (and yes, I know he's not the final boss)
    Damn near fights like one.

So I've also heard. Oh Squeenix, you never give us an easy day.

Finally played Dragon Quest 8 these days. After all I think it's pretty meh. The main problem is I just couldn't get emotionally attached to the characters because they are rather dull and nothing more than weather vanes for most of the time on top of the narrative being not that well-written.
    Forum user Bartholemew Bear passed away in a very moving and touching way. I, ARTEMlS, therefore carry on the Will of DArth for good unto its final fulfilment.

XII Zodiac Age out on steam for $40 today, glad I held out for this. Time to replay one of the best FF games.
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

Sqaure Enix President talks about Gaas:

GC: It was interesting because it talked about the success of NieR: Automata, and yet in the same document it also talked about the rise of games as a service and the idea that single-player games were no longer as popular as they used to be. And we’ve heard a lot of similar things from other publishers recently as well. What exactly is your approach to games as a service and how do you contrast that to a game like NieR? Which is the exact opposite but has been an unexpected success.

YM: Games as a service has a very wide meaning, it can mean a lot of things! [laughs] Recently people have been discussing loot boxes and people not using that properly, I think that’s all linked to this bad perception people have to the words ‘games as a service’. But really, the way we’re looking at it, what it boils down to is… that idea of keeping people engaged with our games and enjoying them for longer periods of time. That’s the way we really look at the problem. The way we use that expression, really… the whole idea, for a single-player game particularly, is the idea that you have the game released and you keep adding more content to keep the players engaged and enjoying the game. And that helps to make it more of a full experience, and that brings in more players to the original game.
    Singleplayer:

YM: We will definitely be making more single-player games, definitely. I think the environment now, that we have, there’s even more platforms, there’s even more opportunities to get single-player games out to people. So, for example, mobile phone games, we’re not just making free-to-play games for that, we’re making proper single-player games, re-releases of old titles, new titles as well. So mobile phones don’t just have to be about that kind of thing. The Switch is another great platform to come out for single-player games, so we’ve got a lot of opportunities and we really do want to continue making single-player games!
    Last Gen issues:

GC: Given your position I can’t resist asking you about the problems the Japanese games industry had last generation. To us, as consumers in the West, it seemed to happen very suddenly, where Japan went from being the Hollywood of gaming to near irrelevance in just a year or so. It’s become clear recently that the problem was largely technical, thanks to a slowness to adopt modern practices such as using middleware, but what happened from your point of view? And are we now safely out of that difficult period?

YM: There’s lots of different ways you can look at this problem and the issues that happened then. But I think, certainly, it really was the changeover in the hardware generation. I think the real thing that happened there was that the scale of game production – the people involved in it and the amount of effort you need to make a single game – really, really expanded at that time. It is undoubtedly true that a lot of Japanese companies, including us, did hit that barrier. And certainly, with the technical issues you mentioned, bringing in middleware and things like that was difficult. I think one of the other things that happened is that there was a changeover in some of the mainstream genres and what was popular. The rise of shooting games really happened between that changeover to the Xbox 360/PlayStation 3 generation. And even within the field of RPGs it went very much towards the more open world kind of action RPG style. So I think there are a lot of things that Japanese developers had to catch up with, and there was a lot of scratching of heads and really wondering what the best way of doing that would be. Also, I think if you look at what happened then a lot of the Japanese companies tried to emulate the Western game designs and styles, and certainly made those kind of shooting games. And I think the truth of it was they didn’t go that well. [laughs]

GC: [laughs]

YM: I think what changed is that basically after those experiments and those failures, and then it not working out, a lot of the Japanese developers have now used that experience to say, ‘Well OK, we can make games in the style that we’re comfortable with in our own way’. And that newfound confidence is I think what you’re seeing with the current resurgence.
    Japanese style:

GC: It’s not just that Japanese creators are good at making video games, but the fact that many Japanese titles make their origins very obvious. They’re not trying to be American, which in itself can be very refreshing. Is that something you encourage now? Do you tell your developers not to be scared to make the games appear Japanese?

YM: I do very much tell our developers that kind of thing, that’s very much the way we think about it. Certainly, I think rather than trying to copy something from someone else it’s better to be a leader than a follower. And rather than saying, ‘You’ve got to make this in this kind of style, as these foreign companies make it – because that’s popular…’ I think you always get a better result if you tell them to make what they want to make. And you get a team together because they’re passionate about making it in a certain way. Rather than giving them a certain style to follow, we say, ‘You make something that represents you and what you think’. And I think that definitely results in a better product. That’s the way I always advise my development team! I think when you try and bring in all kinds of elements from outside and mix them together… things get lost and you don’t know what’s going on. We often say things are getting ‘blurred’ and you’re not sure what you’re making. So we always try to avoid that and make sure it’s a solid vision.
    http://metro.co.uk/2018/01/15/square...lower-7229024/

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory House
    Right and wrong do exist. Just because you don't know what the right answer is — maybe there's even no way you could know what the right answer is — doesn't make your answer right or even okay. It's much simpler than that. It's just plain wrong.

The graphics at least are top notch. The cinemas look sraight from the films. Crazy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    The graphics at least are top notch. The cinemas look straight from the films. Crazy stuff.
    i know right. everyone was raving about how that when they showed off the Toy Story world.
    NintendoID: Zodiark14

SE doing more with Half Life than Valve.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information