+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: General Square Enix Thread II

Default General Square Enix Thread II

Closed down the previous thread because it's been going for 8 years, and because it reached a perfect ending.

http://www.apforums.net/showthread.p...=1#post3854444

Proceed to talk about how the upcoming Dissidia game might be okay, that we really need The World Ends With You part 2, that Chrono Trigger should get a sequel someday, and how FF6 and 9 are the best ones.

Dragon Quest still has enough history, games and variety to continue to warrant it's own thread, if if it has a lot of lulls. I'm really looking forward to 11 getting an English release.
    http://www.apforums.net/showthread.php?t=26532
    Last edited by Robby; January 4th, 2018 at 01:11 AM.

Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

What? No love for FF 4, 5, 7 & 8? I call BS.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

Quote Originally Posted by Nekketsu View Post
    What? No love for FF 4, 5, 7 & 8? I call BS.
    Those are all fine. Good to great even.

But 6 and 9 are the best ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    But 6 and 9 are the best ones.
    Can't argue with that. Oh, what I would pay for a remake of those.

Although,

Spoiler:
    XV has IMO the best villain, bar none. He gives zero fucks to absolute everything that happens, and is the only one that in the end achieves his goals, dying as well.

Still waiting for WFF sequel.
    Last edited by Nekketsu; January 4th, 2018 at 01:35 AM.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

I don't see how anyone can believe Chrono Trigger sequel can get made, with the people who actually made it going years without saying anything about it, the director of the very different sequel is gone from Square, the Guchi is making failing mobile games now, hell Yuji just made DQ7 very Chrono Trigger like and Kitase stuck on making FF7R for the next ten years and hasn't directed anything himself since FFX.

While I'm at it here's FF sales data:

FF7 had 9.3m by 2003, original release in 1997/1998 (As of 2015 all versions combine sold 11 million copies and it's prequel spin off sold 3.1 million)
    FF8 had 8.1m by 2003, original release in 1999/2000 (No update for digital versions)
    FF13 had 6.6m by 2013, original release in 2009/2010 (Closer to 7.5 with it's Steam release)
    FF15 had 6.6m by 2017, original release in 2016 (Has shipped/sold 7 million, still not counting the eventually apparent good PC port ((Thank god SE seemingly is caring about it)) and complete package)
    FF12 had 6.0m by 2009, original release in 2006/2007 (It's recent HD port either shipped or sold a million copies)
    FF10 had 5.8m by 2003, original release in 2001/2002 (The FFX series has sold 14 million before the HD collections, this includes FFX-2 & X-2 Last Mission)
    FF9 had 5.0m by 2003, original release in 2000/2001 (No update for digital versions)
    FF6 had 3.4m by 2003, original releases in 1994/1999/2002 (Not counting it's late GBA port)
    FF5 had 2.6m by 2003, original releases in 1992/1998
    FF4 had 2.1m by 2003, original releases in 1991/1997/2001/2002 (Not count it's 30 other ports across the years)
    FF3 had 1.4m by 2003, original release in 1990
    FF2 had 1.2m by 2003, original releases in 1988/2002 (Not counting it's anniversary ports)
    FF1 had 1.9m by 2003, original releases in 1987/1990/2002 (Not counting it's anniversary ports)

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/ir/e/e...01.pdf#page=27
    https://web.archive.org/web/20150505...icles/print/54
    Last edited by Jaime; January 5th, 2018 at 08:03 PM.

Isn’t there a Secret of Mana remake coming out soon? I never played the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    Isn’t there a Secret of Mana remake coming out soon? I never played the original.
    https://youtu.be/ujF9CZJyshQ
    Feb 13 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    C that Chrono Trigger should get a sequel someday
    If Chrono Trigger gets a sequel, it should follow the Final Fantasy tradition of "same battle system, different universe."

That hasn't been a final fantasy tradition in literally decades. They haven't kept the same combat between games since the the PS1.

Chrono Cross didn't even follow that tradition.

Speaking of keeping combat systems, if TWEWY 2 were to happen, with the DS/3DS gone they would drastically change the way it works. I would despise if the game shared the samey combat system from most of their new games (FFXV, KH3, FF7R), since it would stand out even less and there are far better action rpgs with that format in better form. The Bravely Default/Octopath combat also doesn't sound too good for it, despite being better than the aforementioned. This leaves us with Hiroyuki Ito designing a new one, and if not him someone else who is willing to create something truly unique, that true to its series theme, should expand its world.
    Last edited by Yobiyopi; January 6th, 2018 at 11:03 PM.

TWEWY I feel like is possibly the only game in the entire DS library to fully utilize the potential of the two screens AND the touch screen for combat. It was a game that literally could not work on any other system.

Basically every other game uses the second screen for maps or inventory, or just to make the screen a little bit bigger, but it actually had distinct and different action going on in both, and was just super duper fun and customizable.

I have no idea how they would move forward with it, but...

I could handle a TWEWY 2 that doesn't require splitting my brain quite so much.

Most of that game, 90% of my brain was dedicated to bottom screen, with hopeful button mashing for whatever was going on up top.

Quote Originally Posted by Yobiyopi View Post
    Speaking of keeping combat systems, if TWEWY 2 were to happen, with the DS/3DS gone they would drastically change the way it works. I would despise if the game shared the samey combat system from most of their new games (FFXV, KH3, FF7R), since it would stand out even less and there are far better action rpgs with that format in better form. The Bravely Default/Octopath combat also doesn't sound too good for it, despite being better than the aforementioned. This leaves us with Hiroyuki Ito designing a new one, and if not him someone else who is willing to create something truly unique, that true to its series theme, should expand its world.
    Ito won't be working on this, but cleaning the offices of SE.

He's apparently doing "something" at one of SE multiple game divisions.
    Last edited by Jaime; January 8th, 2018 at 03:43 PM.

How about a TWEWY sequel for the Switch where instead of using the two screens, you use the one joycon to control one character each?

Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
    Ito won't be working on this, but cleaning the offices of SE.

http://i.imgur.com/Leg5ptM.jpg

He's apparently doing "something" at one of SE multiple game divisions.
    I know Square aren't the best company but I'm still sure they haven't sunk to Konami's level yet

Quote Originally Posted by Black Leg View Post
    I know Square aren't the best company but I'm still sure they haven't sunk to Konami's level yet
    This is a just a in joke to explain why we havn't seen shit from Ito in years.

The creator of ATB, the new director of 12, director of FF9 and on of the directors of FF6 has been doing nothing of note since 12.

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

The World Ends With You is coming out on the switch. So there’s a chance for that sequel.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gam.../1100-6456033/
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory House
    Right and wrong do exist. Just because you don't know what the right answer is maybe there's even no way you could know what the right answer is doesn't make your answer right or even okay. It's much simpler than that. It's just plain wrong.

Dissida open beta is out today btw

Playing the Dissidia demo... does the fact it's now a 3 on 3 game mean that its got way *less* customization on your playable character? Because I remember being able to choose and work with a whole bunch of different attacks and really get characters personalized in a way that felt good to me... but now you can only have one damaging move at a time and only two hp attacks? That seems... way more limited.

Also not too fond of the team dynamic in general. Makes it feel like less of a skill focus and a serious battle and more about if your AI team does its job dealing with the background noise you can't pay attention to. I dunno, had pretty much the same experience with Gundam Versus.
    Last edited by Robby; January 14th, 2018 at 10:31 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information