+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 891: Believing in me

Default Re: Chapter 891: Believing in me

I did say in the spoiler thread that the Prometheus panel will be the most impressive, it delivered. Back to Katakuri then, my kind of chapter. Luffy hasn't had a fight like this in forever

Year of Sanji, let's go!

If the Marines do get involved at the end, I hope Ryokugyu is there.

Anyways, Mangastream didn't translate the sound effect, but Flambe is making the "Boyon!" sound. Meaning she's bouncing on her cushion dress and not using it to float.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    Sadly, her presentation turned Sanji into a consummate pedophile as she is the 33rd daughter at 15 years and Pudding is the 35th. The only reason why I am not seriously bothered by Oda making a 21yo man who happens to be one of the main characters being completely aroused by a kid that is 14 years at best is because I am holding my hopes that Flanbé's introduction box is wrong (either she will be older in the volume or she will be rectified to be the 36th).

No mention of Zeus by Linlin in this chapter makes me feel like he may be allowed to stay with the SH. And I can't put a finger on what relevance the BMP finding out about the Tamatebako at this point could have...
    Big Mum with her power made pudding get older by taking "years" from her in order to get her third eyes power mature faster because BM can not wait for that eye to awake...

so "technicaly" Pudding now is easely 20 - 25 years old

King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar

I have to agree with the people complaining about the current chapter's pacing. The bubble gum sister just felt like total filler and waste of panel time which could have gone to Chopper or something instead. We already knew about Katakuri's importance as a perfect reliable big bro from Brulée. No need to repeat it and introduce a character who is not going to appear ever again (I'll bet on this with anyone who wants to and change my avatar to this girl if I lose). But on the other hand, after that part, the chapter just got better and better. The "Believing in me" page and the gigantic Prometheus spread were just wonderful. Beautiful from storytelling and visual points of view. But I do think Oda has big pacing problems in the action portions of his arcs. Between the mid-point and the climax, there is a lot of time wasted in small boring stuff and repetitions which detract from the main characters. But I think it has been a problem in every larger arc since Skypiea. This arc is definitely on the better side of it for me.
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn. (Socrates (Σωκράτης) method to enlighten people, ca. 500 BC)

Quote Originally Posted by O baba View Post
    Big Mum with her power made pudding get older by taking "years" from her in order to get her third eyes power mature faster because BM can not wait for that eye to awake...

so "technicaly" Pudding now is easely 20 - 25 years old
    Some people suggested she could have been adopted instead of being Linlin's biological daughter, in that case she could be older than her placement suggests.

21st Century Schizoid Man S.C. Amigo's Avatar

That... actually could work.

Some people suggested she could have been adopted instead of being Linlin's biological daughter, in that case she could be older than her placement suggests.
    For what it's worth, it is unusual how Big Mom is placing all her hopes on Pudding's three-eye tribe heritage unlocking to read the Poneglyphs......and not one mention of her father, who should also be a three-eye, as well.

That... actually could work.

it's a bit a far fetched but I'll be a be proud if it ever happen to be right ;)

Quote Originally Posted by O baba View Post
    it's a bit a far fetched but I'll be a be proud if it ever happen to be right ;)
    Actually, thinking about it again, no one got older by losing their life energy to BM. Pedro lost 50 years but still looked just as old.

I wonder if she can make people "mature" by inserting life into them, though... (although that seems to be something you would expect from Bonney's DF)

Quote Originally Posted by Chrior View Post
    I have to agree with the people complaining about the current chapter's pacing. The bubble gum sister just felt like total filler and waste of panel time which could have gone to Chopper or something instead. We already knew about Katakuri's importance as a perfect reliable big bro from Brulée. No need to repeat it and introduce a character who is not going to appear ever again (I'll bet on this with anyone who wants to and change my avatar to this girl if I lose). But on the other hand, after that part, the chapter just got better and better. The "Believing in me" page and the gigantic Prometheus spread were just wonderful. Beautiful from storytelling and visual points of view. But I do think Oda has big pacing problems in the action portions of his arcs. Between the mid-point and the climax, there is a lot of time wasted in small boring stuff and repetitions which detract from the main characters. But I think it has been a problem in every larger arc since Skypiea. This arc is definitely on the better side of it for me.
    I'll accept that bet. If I lose, eh, you can pick the avatar

Spoiler:

I have to agree with the people complaining about the current chapter's pacing. The bubble gum sister just felt like total filler and waste of panel time which could have gone to Chopper or something instead. We already knew about Katakuri's importance as a perfect reliable big bro from Brulée. No need to repeat it and introduce a character who is not going to appear ever again (I'll bet on this with anyone who wants to and change my avatar to this girl if I lose).
    The only named character to witness the defeat of the undefeated pride of the Charlotte family not appearing again?
    Also, remember that Katakuri's will to keep his little secret still didn't played a part in this fight and it will only have any weigh if there are eyes to which it can be exposed. We can't tell for sure which part Flambé is going to play in this fight, but it seems obvious her introduction will serve a purpose beyond this very chapter.

Actually, thinking about it again, no one got older by losing their life energy to BM. Pedro lost 50 years but still looked just as old.

I wonder if she can make people "mature" by inserting life into them, though... (although that seems to be something you would expect from Bonney's DF)
    indeed, i believe you are right... we have to face something is wrong with Sanji, lol

I think it’s more so Oda might have messed up, cuss Pudding is clearly drawn older.

Something is wrong with Sanji but he’s not that bad.

Look at that! I was 100% right that Chopper was gonna go Monster. I even predicted this after the Spoilers were released and lucky for me they didn't include this.

Its obviously gotta mean something too. Doesn't Chopper become paralyzed after using Monster Form? Surely this is not gonna get wasted.
    One Piece: A story about a band of pirates calling themselves "Nakama" on a hunt for a legendary treasure. A story that teaches important values of friendship, and this is why I really got into the story. I have fallen in love with Nico Robin, she is everything that I ever was.

I'm not sure if VIZ can even legally publish this. The US doesn't play around with that shit.

Watch the chapter is delayed on Monday, cause they're frantically yelling at Shueisha on the phone

Am I the only one who liked Flambe?I thought she was fun and I like the design, but most people seem rather annoyed that panel time was wasted on her.

At the very least, not all races seem to age the same. Here's Hajrudin at age 18:

So Pudding being pretty young would still be pretty weird, but not out of the question.

Spoiler:

I'd like to be hyped about Chopper going monster, but since he got wrecked by the forest I kinda expect nothing from at all him against Bigmom.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

There is no way Pudding is 14 guys. After all, she's calling Luffy and co. "children" if I recall right

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
    Am I the only one who liked Flambe?I thought she was fun and I like the design, but most people seem rather annoyed that panel time was wasted on her.
    No, I definetly like her. I laughed when she said "im the girl who'll become the little sister king!" It sounded like Oda mocking his own main-character

Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    At the very least, not all races seem to age the same. Here's Hajrudin at age 18:

https://i.imgur.com/5Q7628w.jpg?1

So Pudding being pretty young would still be pretty weird, but not out of the question.
    That’s a giant though, it’s fine for being like them.

I don’t think a being with a 3rd eye will have their biology much.

Oda could always come up with some excuse like that.

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

I really liked this chapter. The choreography in the Luffy vs Katakuri fight was astounding and I like how the fight with Katakuri finally gained more relevancy and gravitas in relation to Totland's overall situation. Despite Luffy sacrificing himself for his crew, it felt too remote and spread out to truly get into until now.

I also hope that Chopper being so powerless, in both being outshined by Carrot and desperately trying to commit suicide by taking Big Mom down with him so desperately in this chapter pays off in a major moment for him later in this arc. Or at least kickstarts some character development that makes him want to improve his capabilities somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by RomanceDawn View Post
    Oh god this so much, lol.

I wonder who actually truly understands that term in this medium within this weekly format?

Pacing is the ever lasting word around here that I loath because all people do is parrot it and I know for sure half of em don't understand squat.

Thematic is the second word. Yeah I'm looking at you Count Mario! You brought that word over from the old country and suddenly everyone is a seasoned writer.
    Thank you, thank you, you're too kind. XD

And I've actually been satisfied by the pacing for the last dozen chapters or so. Yes, I would prefer it if we didn't have to technically repeat scenarios like the Straw Hats being cornered by Big Mom at sea twice, or Nami using Zeus against Big Mom twice, or the awkward gaps in Luffy and Katakuri's fight being detrimental to reader investment. But those are mainly issues with the execution of these encounters, not me actually minding that the Big Mom chase has lasted this long. I really like how we're seeing a good amount of time dedicated to the action and character interactions since the Straw Hats left the shore. All of this is WAY more interesting than all of the running in the middle of Dressrosa.

I liked the scene with Flambe a lot, because it shed more light on Katakuri's character and role in the crew. When Luffy takes him down, it's going to be a BIG deal.
    I completely agree with this. This is actually what the issue was for me in Luffy bearing Katakuri before this chapter. How unlike all of Luffy's big fights, barely anybody is present to witness Luffy's victory in a meaningful way. This is how the fights have always been more important than just two strong people beating the hell out of one another because standard good versus evil. Luffy's victories are supposed to either give cathartic hope to his allies (Luffy versus Doflamingo) or unrelenting disillusionment to his doubters (Luffy vs Bellamy). Luffy vs Katakuri is meant to be like the latter example now that we have seen how much of a pedestal the Charlottes put Katakuri in and how much Katakuri can't stand how much weakness is shown in falling on your back even once. I really appreciate the depth Katakuri and his fight with Luffy has gotten. Now I don't have any problem with whether or not Luffy knocks Katakuri unconscious or only puts him on his back for a bit without Katakuri being truly defeated.

If the Marines do get involved at the end, I hope Ryokugyu is there.
    Same.

I have to agree with the people complaining about the current chapter's pacing. The bubble gum sister just felt like total filler and waste of panel time which could have gone to Chopper or something instead. We already knew about Katakuri's importance as a perfect reliable big bro from Brulée.
    We already heard about it from Brûlée, but... it was only from Brûlée. Back then, it only felt like typical smug minion audience trash talk to me. Not really anywhere else. So I appreciate this chapter showing not just the sister, but a whole bunch of people eagerly anticipating the results of Luffy's fight with Katakuri. Now I really see how important Katakuri's existence is to his family.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information