+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28

Thread: The New Nintendo Threadô

Default Re: The New Nintendo Threadô

I do hope Luigi's Mansion 3 ends up being more similar to the first one than the second one, it would also be nice if they could bring back the portrait ghosts or at least ghosts similar to them.

Might as well give my quick take.

It's true that the service only being $20 a year has made me a lot less.....infuriated over the whole thing, but that's not the whole story. You see, my time playing online has been rather unfortunate. The connection is jank and I usually have to go from my room to the living room where the darn router is, but I like relaxing or playing on my bed, so as such I really haven't done too much online Switch multiplayer. I've done a few splatfests and they were good run, but I saw a lot of times where it was an imbalanced 3 on 4 or users were stuck in limbo, then i get a big fat connection error.
    The Splatoon servers themselves are part to blame I'm sure, but part is my crappy connection. Which I don't truly understand, since I could always do online Wii or Wii U stuff from my room. Anyways, I haven't invested nearly as much time as some other people here (I haven't even finished the single player). Fire Emblem Warriors is my most played game, but it doesn't need any online.

But the cloud saving could be trouble down the line. See, I only have a Switch because my brother bought it one day, and we've shared it ever since, like we always did with our consoles. I kinda want one for myself (or conversely, my brother was eying the Smash themed one) and I'm not 100% sure how that data transfer will go down. I shot myself in the foot with Sonic Mania and Crash because they were digital downloads....unless it's still tied to profile, where me on the Switch 2 could redownload them??? It's something I had to anticipate either way, since I don't know if or when we really will get it. Pokemon and Splatoon supposedly have a justification - latter so you don't reload at a much better rank when you fall - but I can see WHY that doesn't mean dick to anyone. Hell, the latter is one of the premere titles for the Switch, and all those sad Twitter posts bemoaning the last free day really kinda hurts to see.

The NES titles do nothing for me, but they don't make me like it less, it's just a perk that doesn't interest me, because the Wii, 3DS, and Wii U were chock full of them, it's stupidly redundant. I can play SMB3 on my Wii data for crying out loud. It's kinda weird to think of them as online competitive games or something. While we can't rule out other games coming or hell, the eventual N64 or Gamecube Mini, it just feels like we've gotten backwards.

But to circle back around - it's not just Nintendo where I don't really play too much online, Xbox 360 was kinda similar. So this service won't be something I will outright boycott, I'm just not rushing to start it so soon. It might improve gradually over time, in both service and perks, but injecting a dash of optimism like I tend to do can't exactly resolve the issues right now.

/2cents

My only issue with the online service is that I can't pay for it with my store wallet. It HAS to be PayPal or Credit Card. I actively avoid using Credit, just because of information leak and all that jazz.

I can probably use PayPal.

@Meta Well if you get a new Switch you should have access to cloud saves (and digital titles) as long as you create an account on your new Switch with the same Nintendo account.

At any rate it doesn't sound like much of a consideration since your lack of online play period makes it a foregone conclusion not to sign up, regardless of your paragraphs of indifference toward Nintendo's actual practices.

Quote Originally Posted by Insider2000 View Post
    My only issue with the online service is that I can't pay for it with my store wallet. It HAS to be PayPal or Credit Card. I actively avoid using Credit, just because of information leak and all that jazz.

I can probably use PayPal.
    Information leak? You mean like getting your card info stolen? Generally you don't need to keep card info on file and even if you did, it's relatively painless to replace a compromised card (and you are never held responsible for fraudulent charges). I've had my PayPal hacked and that's way more annoying than dealing with credit cards. Not to mention the upside of getting rewards from cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Insider2000 View Post
    My only issue with the online service is that I can't pay for it with my store wallet.
    Pretty sure you can, I just transferred 50€ to my store wallet and bought it.
    3DS Friend Code: 2535-3972-7935

Fresh reminder that the online service presentation in last week's direct was literally a rundown of the most meagre bare bones requirements for an online offering and that every $20 spent is positive reinforcement to Nintendo that people are willing to pay for this

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

Not doing online just yet as I don't play anything online yet until Smash Ultimate comes out.
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    @Meta Well if you get a new Switch you should have access to cloud saves (and digital titles) as long as you create an account on your new Switch with the same Nintendo account.
    That is good to know.

At any rate it doesn't sound like much of a consideration since your lack of online play period makes it a foregone conclusion not to sign up, regardless of your paragraphs of indifference toward Nintendo's actual practices.
    Well that's the thing, if my brother gets it for whatever reason, then there I might as well use it. I do want to mess around it with when Smash Ultimate comes out, but at most I would just use it for infrequent months.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Hermit View Post
    Fresh reminder that the online service presentation in last week's direct was literally a rundown of the most meagre bare bones requirements for an online offering and that every $20 spent is positive reinforcement to Nintendo that people are willing to pay for this
    Yeah....

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    LOL, I like Dorkly's work. Need to start bingeing those animated vids again.

Quote Originally Posted by KzTxL7 View Post
    Purely from a price aspect I'm more on the side of the people who lack sympathy because it's kind of crazy to drop $300-400+ on a Switch but $20 for a whole year is too much. Especially when there has been info on this for a long time now.

Now if the Nintendo Online service wasn't complete crap...
    I got mine for like $200.

Unless your playing smash or Mario kart, I see little reason for Switch online, especially since Nintendo is being all Nintendo about it.

They'll be dragged into this century kicking and screaming the whole dam nway.
    I started a blog about Harem Anime right here! https://dewbond.tumblr.com/

I wasn't distracted by Lucy being half naked.

You won this week Fairy Tail.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmetal-lich View Post
    Unless your playing smash or Mario kart, I see little reason for Switch online, especially since Nintendo is being all Nintendo about it.

So, this online play stuff used to be free but now it's not anymore because (timing-wise) of how many people are going to want Smash online play? Talk about creating an illness just to market the cure. And this, from the company that ended Miiverse and Miitomo. Well, unless they're making another Mario Maker with a more advanced feature for interaction than Miiverse used to offer, they've got little to offer for that kind of paid service. Just don't tell me you need it to make purchases on the eShop, for goodness' sake.

As Jim Sterling said this week, Nintendo will NEVER do anything and not have some insane Faustian cost, or loophole, or caveat. It is their nature. Hell if Nintendo just made a black box console like Xbox or Playstation, they would have won the console war AGES ago.
    I started a blog about Harem Anime right here! https://dewbond.tumblr.com/

I wasn't distracted by Lucy being half naked.

You won this week Fairy Tail.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    So, this online play stuff used to be free but now it's not anymore because (timing-wise) of how many people are going to want Smash online play? Talk about creating an illness just to market the cure. And this, from the company that ended Miiverse and Miitomo. Well, unless they're making another Mario Maker with a more advanced feature for interaction than Miiverse used to offer, they've got little to offer for that kind of paid service. Just don't tell me you need it to make purchases on the eShop, for goodness' sake.
    No. The paid online was supposed to go live an entire year ago. It got delayed this long presumably because Nintendo is incompetent even at fulfilling its bare-bones features. It has nothing to do with a particular game or increased demand; the system was planned from launch. I re-iterate, they are charging simply because they can. There is no other reason. All their games are P2P anyway so they don't need the money for increased server resources.

As for me personally, I played the crap out of Mario Kart 8 on Wii U already. And Smash will be unplayable online anyway just like the last one, given that the lag has been shit in every online Switch game. Mario Kart is the only instance where it's mostly tolerable because occasional latency on the order of 500ms with affect you much less. In Smash, not so much.

Discovered Stowaway

No. The paid online was supposed to go live an entire year ago. It got delayed this long presumably because Nintendo is incompetent even at fulfilling its bare-bones features. It has nothing to do with a particular game or increased demand; the system was planned from launch. I re-iterate, they are charging simply because they can. There is no other reason. All their games are P2P anyway so they don't need the money for increased server resources.

As for me personally, I played the crap out of Mario Kart 8 on Wii U already. And Smash will be unplayable online anyway just like the last one, given that the lag has been shit in every online Switch game. Mario Kart is the only instance where it's mostly tolerable because occasional latency on the order of 500ms with affect you much less. In Smash, not so much.
    That makes sense. What a rip-off. At least add some worthwhile stuff like Gamecube games on a new Virtual Console. It might be worth it to some people even if they aren't download-to-own. They'd be way better off just making a new VC on the Switch instead of that stupid paid access thing other consoles are doing.

I remember dicking around on For Glory on Wii U smash, and the latency was horrible. Fun, but certainly not worth an online subscription.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

What a fucking trainwreck of a presentation when one of your five selling points is "online play! It's something you can already do, but now we're charging you!"

And then the last of the five points is literally "?????????"

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Hermit View Post
    And then the last of the five points is literally "?????????"
    I think I read somewhere that upon follow-up they clarified that the mystery item was related to whatever their current incarnation of a Nintendo Rewards program is... yet another gutted and insulting program that Nintendo has managed to sink.

I think I read somewhere that upon follow-up they clarified that the mystery item was related to whatever their current incarnation of a Nintendo Rewards program is... yet another gutted and insulting program that Nintendo has managed to sink.
    Yeah lol I just looked it up.

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/onli...pecial-offers/

Yet another moment where I wish something could have stayed a mystery box instead of

By the time they come into the 21st century it'll be the 22nd.

Hell if Nintendo just made a black box console like Xbox or Playstation, they would have won the console war AGES ago.
    Virtually all of Sega's consoles (and their add-ons) did black never outsold their chief competition.
    Xbox came in a black sold basically the same numbers as the GameCube and both were outsold by the PS2
    PS3 was black sold the least of that generation.

Oh and don't let the snark distract you from the apparentl fact that the Switch has been Hakichi'd

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pol...mulator-hacked
    Last edited by Green_vs_Red; September 19th, 2018 at 06:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information