+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33

Thread: The New Nintendo Threadô

Default Re: The New Nintendo Threadô

I've never been interested in Yokai Watch, but this looks pretty interesting. Probably because it does look like Ni No Kuni 1 and not like past Yokai Watch Games.
    3DS FC: 0748-2376-4827

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Neaeran View Post
    I've never been interested in Yokai Watch, but this looks pretty interesting. Probably because it does look like Ni No Kuni 1 and not like past Yokai Watch Games.
    I had been curious about Ni no Kuni, I guess I'll grab a used copy. But I'm not too keen on that particular type of battle system, so I'm a bit mixed.

Ni no Kuni 1 is fantastic if the pitch "play a Ghibli story" is even remotely interesting to you. The battle system is subject to personal taste I guess, and the AI-controlled party members are just awful in combat, but the overall package more than makes up for it.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    Ni no Kuni 1 is fantastic if the pitch "play a Ghibli story" is even remotely interesting to you. The battle system is subject to personal taste I guess, and the AI-controlled party members are just awful in combat, but the overall package more than makes up for it.
    That's the aspect of it I dislike. If it's like Kingdom Hearts where you can at least prevent them from having access to your consumable items, fine, no permanent repercussions to something like your inventory. Otherwise, I'm not into giving them that level of autonomy.

I don't think they even can use items, but yeah you can also generally tune them to conserve MP and stuff too. They just aren't smart about almost anything.

Discovered Stowaway

Hmm...I guess it would depend on the method of restoring HP/MP, then. If it's as simple as it is in FFX or KH, then sure, I'm fine with it. But if you need to consume items or constantly pay to stay at inns, that might not be fun. But nothing was worse conceptually than how Disgaea did it.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    I had been curious about Ni no Kuni, I guess I'll grab a used copy. But I'm not too keen on that particular type of battle system, so I'm a bit mixed.
    Game is solid. Playing a game that's like a Ghibli film never gets old, including the little details you'll notice 50 hours in like how on the overworld there's little tufts of grass that fly out at your feet. And the music is just so, so good. You'll have to futz in the menus to make your party not terrible, but turning off their access to some things makes it okay. You're also able to switch between party members at any time so you can set them for "dumb as rocks" and just manually hop over whenever an important decision (like healing or changing out monsters) needs to be made.

I really liked their pokemon approach, they did a lot of things right that pokemon itself could learn from, but their actual rock/paper/scissors mechanics weren't the best.

Just whatever you do, don't try to 100% the game. I really dug the game, and then near the end I thought "Hey, I'm enjoying this a lot and I'm pretty close to having done everything! I think I'll platinum this one!" And then proceeded to absolutely murder a ton of my good will towards the game with days upon days of endless grinding for grinding's sake. Doing all the recipes and getting basically *every* monster is a pain that is just not worth it. Just play the game as it is and enjoy it.

NinoKuni 2 on the other hand, I lost a ton of interest when I saw they completely changed the battle system instead of improving on it, and I've heard nothing but bad about it overall and haven't gotten to it yet, which is a shame.

But nothing was worse conceptually than how Disgaea did it.
    What do you mean by that? Every character could learn healing spells pretty much. Healing was never an issue.

Unless you mean going into the item world to upgrade the healing items, in which case, no, you weren't every really supposed to do that, and just power up the weapons.

That was a game designed to sink however much time you wanted to sink though.
    Last edited by Robby; October 17th, 2018 at 07:26 AM.

I have a hard time enjoying Disgaea because I find most of the characters unlikeable.

Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    I have a hard time enjoying Disgaea because I find most of the characters unlikeable.
    It takes time, but you'll eventually come to like em.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

I platted Ni no Kuni twice. Once on the Japanese copy I imported and then again when it got localized. The requirement for filling the "dex," as it were, is pretty lax. You only need like 2/3 of it so you can avoid rarer ones with low catch rates and super easily power level everything with the right enemies. Finishing the last few recipes is definitely a few hours of grinding for rare materials, even though there's fairly consistent ways to do it so you don't feel like you're making no progress. And you do get the actual best gear for it.

But hell I enjoyed it so much the second time around that I 100%ed my collection of Familiars, including every single gold version (basically shinies that appear post-game for a limited number of creatures). Some of those took forever to catch.

But I guess this is getting kind of off-topic since we're talking about a PS3 game in the Nintendo thread lol. Though there is a 3DS version of the game that never got localized. I still lack any interest whatsoever in Yokai Watch.
    Last edited by Foolio; October 17th, 2018 at 09:20 AM.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    What do you mean by that? Every character could learn healing spells pretty much. Healing was never an issue.

Unless you mean going into the item world to upgrade the healing items, in which case, no, you weren't every really supposed to do that, and just power up the weapons.

That was a game designed to sink however much time you wanted to sink though.
    In most SRPGs I've played you automatically have everyone in the party fully healed after a battle, and earn a decent amount of coin and loot for the trouble. Disgaea was punishingly stingy about the loot and coin, and made you pay for the party to be healed after. I found that to be ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    In most SRPGs I've played you automatically have everyone in the party fully healed after a battle, and earn a decent amount of coin and loot for the trouble. Disgaea was punishingly stingy about the loot and coin, and made you pay for the party to be healed after. I found that to be ludicrous.
    That's because in Disgea the game breaks very, very quickly if they give you money. Also it's built on an infinite scaling system, so while you might spend the first thirty hours of the game getting to level 40, shortly after that you start hitting level 700 and then level 4000 and taking out enemies (and earning their equivalent loot) to match. They have to limit early money because the more expensive weapons would wreck the game, but it very quickly stops being any sort of issue at all once you enter the actual game... NG+.

And again, basically everyone learns heals so not a huge issue. (THough they've been through so many iterations of even just the first game now, things may have been different based on which version you played and which number in the series.)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information