+ Reply to Thread
Page 61 of 62 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61 62 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1221

Thread: The Nintendo Needs To Get Their Shit Together in 2021 Thread™

Default Re: The New Nintendo Threadô

Does anyone have the new Zelda game? Any good?

Did you play the demo? That will tell you 80% of what you need to know.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I'm enjoying it. It is another Warriors game but feels more like it was based on the BOTW mechanics. You can get pretty creative at times.
    Oh hey, I do videos on figures and manga and stuff: https://www.youtube.com/thatmanhismerch

So... Nintendo's had a really bad couple of days.

First they shut down a Smash tournament, then they shut down the livestream of a Splatoon tournament when the top players wouldn't stop complaining about the Smash tournament shutdown, then they went after someone selling Etika-themed Joycon shells to raise money for charity.

I think we should change the thread title to "Nintendo kinda sucks now", at least until they fix the Joycon drift issue.
    Last edited by RoboBlue; December 7th, 2020 at 09:17 AM.

I find this controversy a little dumb.

Yes, there's a pandemic and Nintendo are being jerks not just making an exception this one time but too many people are acting like they shut down the Smash Tournament that started all of this arbitrarily just to be jerks when in fact, they shut it down for a reason that's consistent with how they've treated this issue in the past literally whenever it comes up.

Nintendo doesn't like fan made Emulation. If even the slightest hint of a non-official Emulation project catches their attention, their stance is to instantly and relentlessly shut it down.

This is how they've always reacted with Emulation since forever. This Smash tournament would have needed an Emulator to run the Net Code to allow online play for Melee. Therefore, Nintendo's gotta shut it down.

Yes, there's an argument to be made that we're in a global pandemic and people were really looking forward to this Tournament so it would have been really cool of Nintendo to just make an exception this one time, and yes all of their actions after that point are way iffier and smell of retaliation. Nintendo are not saints in this either.

But I'm seeing too many people just pretend like Nintendo are cartoon supervillains here dicking fans over for no reason whatsoever when... at least at first there was a clear logic and reason to their actions. Anybody should have expected Nintendo to get cold feet as soon as the word "Emulation" got uttered just like Toei Animation can be expected to foam at the mouth anytime anything Dragon Ball Z Abridged gets mentioned.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 ē Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel

Yeah Nintendo does some questionable things, such as taking forever to drop some of their hardware and software to relatively cheap prices. Dropping faulty hardware on the market that they make people pay to repair if itís out of warranty, not packing in chargers with some of their devices, limited releases for emulated video games.

But these recent problems comparatively is insignificant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    I find this controversy a little dumb.

Yes, there's a pandemic and Nintendo are being jerks not just making an exception this one time but too many people are acting like they shut down the Smash Tournament that started all of this arbitrarily just to be jerks when in fact, they shut it down for a reason that's consistent with how they've treated this issue in the past literally whenever it comes up.

Nintendo doesn't like fan made Emulation. If even the slightest hint of a non-official Emulation project catches their attention, their stance is to instantly and relentlessly shut it down.

This is how they've always reacted with Emulation since forever. This Smash tournament would have needed an Emulator to run the Net Code to allow online play for Melee. Therefore, Nintendo's gotta shut it down.

Yes, there's an argument to be made that we're in a global pandemic and people were really looking forward to this Tournament so it would have been really cool of Nintendo to just make an exception this one time, and yes all of their actions after that point are way iffier and smell of retaliation. Nintendo are not saints in this either.

But I'm seeing too many people just pretend like Nintendo are cartoon supervillains here dicking fans over for no reason whatsoever when... at least at first there was a clear logic and reason to their actions. Anybody should have expected Nintendo to get cold feet as soon as the word "Emulation" got uttered just like Toei Animation can be expected to foam at the mouth anytime anything Dragon Ball Z Abridged gets mentioned.
    The reason people are acting like Nintendo are cartoon supervillains is pretty obvious: they've been mask-off about their anticonsumer practicees for years, and this stuff is coming at the end of a particularly bad year.
    What's different this time is that NoA's PR department failed to see the critical difference between more obscure wrongdoings like messing with Youtube ad revenue and something that the entire country can immediately understand is bad: political censorship.
    They also failed to realize that their ability to have fans quietly shut down criticism on their behalf relies entirely on their dedication to selling us good products.

The lack of new games to get excited about combined with all the extra time spent playing our existing Switch games using increasingly broken Joycons really drove home the point that in a post-Iwata world Nintendo is a company that sells good games for bad hardware and forces us to essentially rent the controllers to play them.
    If you live in America you can mail-in your broken Joycons for a free repair, but that can take months and the turnaround time is even worse now due to the pandemic.
    You're not going to let your Switch sit unused while the multiple online subscriptions you're currently paying for slowly tick down into worthlessness, are you?
    No, you're going to give Nintendo more money for more controllers that will inevitably break and soon you'll be back at square one.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Yeah Nintendo does some questionable things, such as taking forever to drop some of their hardware and software to relatively cheap prices. Dropping faulty hardware on the market that they make people pay to repair if it’s out of warranty, not packing in chargers with some of their devices, limited releases for emulated video games.

But these recent problems comparatively is insignificant.
    I agree but that's the problem.
    They were already a bad company with a habit of ripping us off and we were just lying to ourselves about it because we really wanted to play the next well-made sequel in any one of the dozens of beloved franchises that they have in their stable.

Personally I never had any delusions about Nintendo and their business practices. They do good things, they do bad things, and they do things that defy comprehension. Even looking at their humble beginnings makes realize how weird this company is.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    The lack of new games to get excited about combined with all the extra time spent playing our existing Switch games using increasingly broken Joycons really drove home the point that in a post-Iwata world Nintendo is a company that sells good games for bad hardware
    No one was aware of this when the N64, Gameboy Advance Micro, & WiiU dropped?

and forces us to essentially rent the controllers to play them.
    If you live in America you can mail-in your broken Joycons for a free repair, but that can take months and the turnaround time is even worse now due to the pandemic.
    Good thing I did my cousinís months ahead of time after thankfully balking at the $80 repair charge (the other forty was for the pro controller which was never sent in due to Nintendo being vague on whether their current policy covers them). It also didnít help that for some asinine reason my debit card couldnít be used for this yet itís okay to use for eshop purchases
    Last edited by Green_vs_Red; December 8th, 2020 at 12:56 AM.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

No one was aware of this when the N64, Gameboy Advance Micro, & WiiU dropped?
    None of those were bad hardware. They had flaws but they were perfectly functional.

The N64 joystick did tend to wear out over long periods of heavy use but none of mine ever broke.
    The GBA Micro plays GBA games just fine.
    I still play VC games on my Wii U regularly. Back in the day it had plenty of great first party games and I loved Miiverse.

The only other Nintendo system I can think of that had genuinely bad hardware was the Virtualboy.
    Nintendo stuff historically had a tendency to survive abuse, age well and work for decades.

None of those were bad hardware. They had flaws but they were perfectly functional.
    In a vacuum no if weíre comparing to other systems they were competing with or in the Micros case itís predecessor they kind of were.

The N64 joystick did tend to wear out over long periods of heavy use but none of mine ever broke.
    My biggest pet peeve with the system was how Nintendo never revised that awkward looking and working controller. Which it did need since of course the controllers had no built in Rumble like Gen 1 PlayStation Controllers alongside the fact too many games required spinning or back and forthing the stick. That and the fact that some games required use of a controller pak which of course had to be purchased separately.

I still play VC games on my Wii U regularly. Back in the day it had plenty of great first party games
    Which is all well and good except if you wanted a proper controller to use for the WiiU Titles not only did you have to buy it but a fraction of the systemís gameís couldnít be played without the gamepad showing Nintendo learned nothing from doing the same thing with the Wiimote.

The only other Nintendo system I can think of that had genuinely bad hardware was the
    You said good games on ďbadĒ hardware the majority of what few games were on the VB werenít good.

Nintendo stuff historically had a tendency to survive abuse, age well and work for decades.
    Didnít apply to my first DS Lite which came with a broken mic and wound up suffering a bit of ďseparation anxietyĒ from about two drops.

In a vacuum no if we’re comparing to other systems they were competing with or in the Micros case it’s predecessor they kind of were.

My biggest pet peeve with the system was how Nintendo never revised that awkward looking and working controller. Which it did need since of course the controllers had no built in Rumble like Gen 1 PlayStation Controllers alongside the fact too many games required spinning or back and forthing the stick. That and the fact that some games required use of a controller pak which of course had to be purchased separately.

Which is all well and good except if you wanted a proper controller to use for the WiiU Titles not only did you have to buy it but a fraction of the system’s game’s couldn’t be played without the gamepad showing Nintendo learned nothing from doing the same thing with the Wiimote.
    I really didn't have a problem with those systems or their controllers.
    Some of them were technically inferior to the competition, but they had good games and worked when I needed them to.

I vaguely remember the N64 controller being awkward to learn at first but now I prefer it over the newer third party controllers.

Didn’t apply to my first DS Lite which came with a broken mic and wound up suffering a bit of “separation anxiety” from about two drops.
    I'll give you that one. I went through at least ten DS Lites back in the day.

However, the fat DS existed and didn't fall apart nearly as easily, so it was still less of a problem than Joycon drift.

I'll give you that one. I went through at least ten DS Lites back in the day.
    Well shit guess I shouldnít feel all that anguished that my 2nd had itís speakers randomly stop working over time and the 3rd for no reason stopped turning on. Funny part is I bought both roughly around the same time.

I'd like to think nintendo has more respect and for better safeguards towards their creators over other companies.
    Like for their role against fan emulations, streaming and not discounting their games or selling their older emulated games at higher price does sometimes boils down to lolmoney but throughout the years I get the impression that they do have the intention to safeguard the best interests for their creators.
    The perceived media image of their work culture for many years has been a place that is healthier than many japanese companies with no significant backlash.
    So they are, kind of, a bit more caring towards their people is my point. Just not really towards the consumers because this is essentially a scale to them. Increase the benefits to us and the benefits to the payroll is reduced.

Default Re: The Nintendo Needs To Get Their Shit Together in 2021 Thread™

I'd really like it if Nintendo made some more first party games, seeing as how that's really the only reason to really buy a nintendo console anyways

what's the last IP they've made.... Splatoon?

and what before that?

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    I'd really like it if Nintendo made some more first party games, seeing as how that's really the only reason to really buy a nintendo console anyways

what's the last IP they've made.... Splatoon?

and what before that?
    Arms was a new IP for Switch. There's also ones like Snipperclips, Nintendo Labo, Good Job! (idk if this counts), Sushi Striker, and Ring Fit Adventure.

All of these have existed during the Switch era, so they're not doing too badly. The problem is that a lot of the stronger titles from Nintendo were clumped in the first years of the console and 2020 was particularly weak with most of their titles being remakes or ports. In a normal year Age of Calamity would have easily been a late summer or fall title. This year it was their Thanksgiving-Christmas release.

Overall an extremely slow year for them but because of the lucky strike that was Animal Crossing they're probably fine anyway. In that sense I agree I would like to see their first party efforts step it up a bit in 2021 and bring some of the hype from a couple years back.

Oh man, I forgot about arms, I don’t know any of the others though, are they any good?

Discovered Stowaway

Default Re: The Nintendo Needs To Get Their Shit Together in 2021 Threadô

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Oh man, I forgot about arms, I donít know any of the others though, are they any good?
    Haven't played arms a lot, but it is fun to play. Ring fit, is a fitness game, so perfect to get some sort of exercise during the lock down, and it is sort of challenging if you play for longer than 10 minutes, snipperclip is a fun game if you play with someone together, if you play alone its worthless, its kind of a puzzle game. Haven't heard about the other games tbh.
    SW-3170-8630-8341
    AC-NH
    looking for apples & peaches

Default Re: The Nintendo Needs To Get Their Shit Together in 2021 Threadô

One of the weird things is that people seem to think it's something brand new? But Nintendo's been doing this for years. It's not a post-Reggie thing. No matter how people want to believe.

I don't understand how copyright works. But I hazard a guess that if someone is selling or making money from their IPs then that would have an effect on this? And they have to act accordingly?

I saw something where someone was comparing Fanart on twitter that was allowed by Square but Nintendo went after the same artist when they sold the Nintendo characters.

The Etika joycon thing was also some time ago (but resurfaced due to current drama) and was noted that the creator used the Joy-Con trademark so Nintendo went straight for it.

It's not a good thing but I'm expecting there's likely valid reasons for a lot of this. Even if it doesn't seem like it to a fan perspective.

It's probably also worth pointing out that Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft and Steam aren't your buddies. They're huge corporations. They do love your Wallet.

The Mario Anniversary stuff is just baffling too.
    Oh hey, I do videos on figures and manga and stuff: https://www.youtube.com/thatmanhismerch

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Is Bowser's Fury open world?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information