+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13
Results 241 to 250 of 250

Thread: Volume 89 Predictions/Discussion

  1. #241

    Default Re: Volume 89 Predictions/Discussion

    I wish Oda had done something cool with the spine images, like a specific character on each one, or some sort of unfolding picture like Dragonball had.
    He's usually very into doing cool renditions of classic manga stuff, so I've always found it strange that he just left that aspect up to random snapshots from the cover.

    Ah well.

  2. #242

    Default Re: Volume 89 Predictions/Discussion

    That's a little presumptious for an ongoing series, regular series would be like "I'm sure we'll get to THIS number" so it's unfinished, while for One Piece is now "I'm sure I'll be done by THIS volume" and so there's more space for them.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

  3. #243

    Default Re: Volume 89 Predictions/Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    It was a blip on the radar.

    People that care about this aren't usually people that buy the comic and if anything, have a chip on their shoulder regarding the series.

    It's a non-issue and there has been nothing about it after the apology.
    I agree with what you said but I've also seen people blaming it for the big decrease in sales (looks like it may be 250 thousand less copies sold than Vol. 88 for the same amount of period, before its ranking falls below No.50 on ORICON weekly charts).

  4. #244

    Default Re: Volume 89 Predictions/Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    That's a little presumptious for an ongoing series, regular series would be like "I'm sure we'll get to THIS number" so it's unfinished, while for One Piece is now "I'm sure I'll be done by THIS volume" and so there's more space for them.
    It really isn't though. Dragonball sure as heck wasn't pre-decided upon length wise, there was multiple spine pictures (and two Yajerobes lol).

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Laffitte Doflamingo View Post
    I agree with what you said but I've also seen people blaming it for the big decrease in sales (looks like it may be 250 thousand less copies sold than Vol. 88 for the same amount of period, before its ranking falls below No.50 on ORICON weekly charts).
    I'm willing to bet One Piece is just (has for awhile anyway) become really hard for new young readers to hop into. Its become massive after all.
    Which I bet has long since been determined by Shueisha, and why the theory editors are pushing for the little catch-up panels that annoy us long time followers sounds spot on.

  5. #245

    Default Re: Volume 89 Predictions/Discussion



    Lol.

    There are also two Goku as well. And Lunch is an important character! More than Tien, Chaotzu, Mr. Satan, Buu, all flavors of Trunks, Chichi and Goten.

    I still would rather have something with a solid plan.

    The second printing gets everyone in there, but it's bland and just puts giant letters to balance the image somewhat, while the "ultimate edition" is fine as a color work, but as a "This is DRAGON BALL" lacks some punch, other than the physical weight of 34 volumes.

    http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31062
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

  6. #246

    Default Re: Volume 89 Predictions/Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    There are also two Goku as well.
    Not the same thing though. Kid Goku on the cloud, and then at the end adult Goku in SSJ form.

    Those are both exactly the same Yajerobe (with inconsistent coloring lol), he just plum forgot in that case!

  7. #247
    POE WUN BGR Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Shadow Aaron Island

    Default Re: Volume 89 Predictions/Discussion

    I agree with what you said but I've also seen people blaming it for the big decrease in sales (looks like it may be 250 thousand less copies sold than Vol. 88 for the same amount of period, before its ranking falls below No.50 on ORICON weekly charts).
    Sure, sure. While the decreasing sales exists, I believe the source for that is based on volumes sold to *retailers* not actual volumes sold, no?

    That was the case when OP was breaking initial print sales at least. They do the same things for video game hardware here.

    And retailers ordering fewer copies may very well be due to the series popularity 'decreasing' (I use the term relatively) due to its age, length and lack of a boom from GOLD.

    At any rate, of the many problems One Piece has from time to time, this wasn't something to worry about. Just another thing to remember about how sad haters can be over here.

  8. #248

    Default Re: Volume 89 Predictions/Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Sure, sure. While the decreasing sales exists, I believe the source for that is based on volumes sold to *retailers* not actual volumes sold, no?

    That was the case when OP was breaking initial print sales at least. They do the same things for video game hardware here.

    And retailers ordering fewer copies may very well be due to the series popularity 'decreasing' (I use the term relatively) due to its age, length and lack of a boom from GOLD.

    At any rate, of the many problems One Piece has from time to time, this wasn't something to worry about. Just another thing to remember about how sad haters can be over here.
    Maybe. I'm not sure how ORICON actually comes up with the numbers, but I heard that they are not the actual/exact statistics (I imagine it would be impossible to count every single one sold). I also heard, maybe a year ago or so, that ORICON changed its *algorithm*. That being said, I never take the numbers too seriously, but instead pay more attention to the trends and make relative comparisons between different series.

    Anyway, haters' minds never worth guessing.

  9. #249
    Discovered Stowaway andre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The King Engine

    Default Re: Volume 89 Predictions/Discussion

    So what exactly was the controversy with this last volume?

  10. #250

    Default Re: Volume 89 Predictions/Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    So what exactly was the controversy with this last volume?
    In the author's note for the Volume, Oda made a joke about a Japanese Sergeant who continued to act as if World War 2 was still ongoing after it ended.

    One Pace - The One Piece anime without the filler and padding.
    AP Discord

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts