+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Volume 89 Predictions/Discussion

Discovered Stowaway ScotchInformer's Avatar

Default Volume 89 Predictions/Discussion

Volume 89 is scheduled to be released on June 04 2018 !

Also We Have a One Piece Party, on The Same Time

Default Re: Volume 89 Predictions/Discussion

And I was hoping the long gap between 87 and 88 would allow for a May release. I guess all the Christmas breaks cancelled out any chapter buffer the extra month between the last two volumes would have created. Damn.

Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar

On the plus side, at least the Viz release should gain a volume (unless they only release three in 2019 to even things out).
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Katakuri cover pleaseeeeeee!!!!
    Nothing exists; even if something exists, nothing can be known about it. Even if something can be known about it,
    knowledge about it can't be communicated to others
    . Even if it can be communicated, it cannot be understood.

Katakuri plus snakeman would be the best.

And a flaming Big Mom looming over them? This is an eventful volume with many climaxes so Oda can go nut with the cover.

King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar

A bit too early to predict a cover, we still have 3 or 4 chapters to go until we know the full contents. But the bulk of it is definitely the Luffy vs. Katakuri fight. So something a bit like volume 44 which featured Luffy vs. Lucci would look nice. I would also love to see flaming Big Mom, that design is just amazingly terrifying!
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn. (Socrates (Σωκράτης) method to enlighten people, ca. 500 BC)

I know we haven't made it through all the chapters in this volume yet, but already calling "The Last Stand" as the title.

Spoiler:

Strong choice, describes the volume's content in full: The Last Stand
    Runner up choice, descriptive, but a bit narrow: Captain Luffy VS General Katakuri
    Possible alternative to either of the above: whatever chapter 900 ends up being
    The Oda Volume Title Blindside: They Believe in Me

This chapter (900) is the perfect volume ender, and would give the volume 11 chapters

...But knowing volumes, 899 will end up being the last chapter

Spoiler:

The last volume had 10 chapters ending at 889. So an 11 chapter volume starting at 890 with the strawhats holding off Big Mom, and ending with 900 would be perfect. It would be a really packed volume.
    Last edited by Sibersk Esto; March 30th, 2018 at 09:20 AM.

Chapter 900 is the last one. There's no doubt in my mind. You couldn't make a volume ending cliffhanger more perfect.

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Chapter 900 is the last one. There's no doubt in my mind. You couldn't make a volume ending cliffhanger more perfect.
    As perfect as Volume 52 would be if it ended on Chapter 513? Or Volume 45 if it would have ended with Chapter 441?

If this volume isn't ending on Chapter 900, I'm going to take that as implicit confirmation that Jump is too cowardly to bookend One Piece volumes with the Straw Hats or their major allies getting obliterated for cliffhangers.
    Last edited by Count Mario; March 30th, 2018 at 06:48 PM.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Discovered Stowaway Big Black Hole's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    As perfect as Volume 52 would be if it ended on Chapter 513?
    Has there ever been any reason given while they've done this? I mean, I remember reading Chapter 513 when it was released and I honestly don't think that the series ever had a better cliffhanger...

Carrot's still never gonna join the crew.

King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar

As perfect as Volume 52 would be if it ended on Chapter 513?
    This and the timeskip happening in the middle of a volume are the 2 worst offenders. They absolutely baffle me and trigger my OCD whenever I remember them. They should really prove to people that Oda doesn't stretch/shorten this or that plotline because of volume enders.
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn. (Socrates (Σωκράτης) method to enlighten people, ca. 500 BC)

There might be some hope since Oda even broke his regular break schedule but yeah...

As perfect as Volume 52 would be if it ended on Chapter 513? Or Volume 45 if it would have ended with Chapter 411?

If this volume isn't ending on Chapter 900, I'm going to take that as implicit confirmation that Jump is too cowardly to bookend One Piece volumes with the Straw Hats or their major allies getting obliterated for cliffhangers.
    Yeah, this is a good point and has significantly damaged my certainty. But I stand by my prediction. Why? Chapter 512 ends with Zoro vanishing, which is less enormous than the whole crew disappearing, but on a first time read, when you don't know they're all gonna be blasted away, is still a huge point to leave hanging over the readers' heads. Chapter 440 (think you got your numbers mixed up there) ends with the reveal of the dark dark fruit, a dramatically presented moment that would have had big implications for Blackbeard's character and larger role in the story whether or not we saw the rest of the fight after that point.

If there's one thing I think has become clear over the years, it's that Oda doesn't like to end a volume and a storyline at the same time. It's either a cliffhanger within an ongoing story, or the new story will start within the volume. You can't get the end of one story without the start of another. That has to be a deliberate tactic to keep the volume readers hooked. But there's no such hook that I can see in chapter 899. The last pages have the Sun Pirates arriving and all but guaranteeing the crew's escape. It's too clean, it feels like it's resolving the Tottoland arc instead of creating a cliffhanger for the last leg of it or leading into whatever comes next. If 899 had anything that actually felt like it would make a good ending I'd agree with that, but it just kinda doesn't, in my eyes.

But I've been extremely wrong in my thoughts on what feels like the right place to cut a volume before, so believe what you will.

(also is it really Jump that's choosing to do it the way it's done? Oda talks in the SBS's for volumes 63 and 69 about having a say in where the volumes start and stop, specifically about being able to push for longer ones when he wants the story to be cut off at a certain point. Like it or not, the evidence suggests that all the weird end points to date have been his choice.)

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Chapter 440 (think you got your numbers mixed up there) ends with the reveal of the dark dark fruit, a dramatically presented moment that would have had big implications for Blackbeard's character and larger role in the story whether or not we saw the rest of the fight after that point.[
    Thank you for catching that. But I still count that as a bad cutting off point since it comes halfway between Ace vs. Blackbeard. It forces readers to buy one whole volume, one that starts a whole new arc too, just to read one more chapter. And that volume is only ten chapters long, so there is no excuse. Although this supports your theory, as much as I dislike that potential reality of cheap salesmanship. And while this happened years later, it is even the only reason Viz's second box set has 23 volumes instead of 22. Which is awkward considering how the next box set has Thriller Bark in the name yet doesn't even have the arc's beginning.

I didn't know who to blame it on. So I'll make sure to blame Oda, like I do with every other nitpick I have about this manga. So much for giving him the benefit of the doubt this time lol.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar

In the case of Vol. 52 not ending on chapter 513, I believe the reasoning was that the price of the volumes were going up (by like the equivalent of a quarter or thereabouts) and Oda said in either an SBS or an interview around that time that he wasn't going to do eleven-chapter volumes anymore since he didn't want what he saw as his primary audience (kids) to have to pay an additional surcharge. Chapter 513 would've been the eleventh chapter of Vol. 52 had it been included, and I think since then Oda's backed away from that stance since we've had more eleven-chapter volumes since and even one or two twelve+ ones (albeit with shorter chapters than normal).
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

While I agree, Oda ended volume 52 in chapter 512 instead of the perfect finale in chapter 513 (when the whole crew were separated by Kuma).

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information