+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Pluton, Poseidon, and Uranus

Jesuszilla son of Godzilla Kakaliaha's Avatar

Default Pluton, Poseidon, and Uranus

My first thought about these is that Oda decides not to to stick with Greek Mythology or Roman Mythology. Pluton which seems to be a direct referance to Pluto the god of the underworld in Roman Mythology and Poseidon who is the god of the sea in Greek Mythology. This seems to be a reference to how the Romans took on a lot of Greek ideas and changed their name, Hades being the Greek god of the underworld, so is that saying Pluton is a more updated version of the ancient weapon Hades?

I do think however that their names have some relevance to what functions they have. Pluton we know is ship, but I think that its reference to the Roman god of the Underworld gives a hint to what the ship is used for, Death. Poseiden I think is also a ship, actually a submarine, named after the Greek god of the sea I think it would be only fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakaliaha
    This seems to be a reference to how the Romans took on a lot of Greek ideas and changed their name, Hades being the Greek god of the underworld, so is that saying Pluton is a more updated version of the ancient weapon Hades?
    Pluton is Greek; it means The Rich One. That's where the Romans picked up Pluto from. Pluton is what the Greeks called Hades to avoid actually naming the God of the Dead; sort of a Hellenistic You-Know-Who.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Interesting, I was thinking that it was a Roman referance because I read that Pluton wasn't actually a an ancient weapon, just a contempory version of one so naturally I thought, Romans are a more contemory version of Greeks. But thanks for the info

Mybe would be intersting if Oda uses Egyptian or Etuscian or Cetic. Would be nice

There are so many cultures that have interesting mythological stories and characters, it would be nice for Oda to mix it up.

There are so many cultures that have interesting mythological stories and characters, it would be nice for Oda to mix it up.
    Well, Skypiea had a decidedly Buddhist bent to the bad guys, while the good guys were a mixture of zealots, well-meaning-but-powerless-folks, and oppressed natives (*coughcoughAMERICAcough*). Though to be fair, those aren't so much mythological, as grounded in the philosophies of specific cultures or world regions.

So... what would Oda use?
    Co-Translator, Podcast Regular, and Man-in-Japan at Kanzenshuu, your authoritative Dragon Ball online resource

i think its best to stick with the greek/roman gods. theres a set amount and theyre the most well known of any myths

Interesting, I was thinking that it was a Roman referance because I read that Pluton wasn't actually a an ancient weapon, just a contempory version of one so naturally I thought, Romans are a more contemory version of Greeks. But thanks for the info
    Ah, you probably read my recent description of Pluton in the 391 thread as I used the word contemporary, but you had a slight misinterpretation of my meaning. Contemporary was used in the sense that Pluton existed during the same period as the Ancient Weapons rather than the alternate use of the word, which is a synonym for the word 'modern'.

This is very interesting, I like.

I personally feel Skypiea was Aztec style and Arabasta has a really Egyptian feel to it.. I mean that cat sea monster being their sacred animal and all.
    ------------------------------------
    I wooped batmans ass.

Well so far it appears that Oda is following the order of the solar system when he introduces the Ancient Weapons. He started with Pluton which would be the 9th planet of the solar system. Poseidon has been made to Neptun in the roman mythology...the 8th planet. The 7th would now be Uranus (german spelling).

I´m curious to see whether or not the third Ancient Weapon will in fact be named after it or not. Could be, could be not. Only Oda knows for sure!

BTW, an offtopic question. I´m actually quite good in mythology, but who the hell is the greek original for the roman Uranus? Don´t tell me it´s Uranos (german spelling) the husband of Gaya. I thought that only the gods´ (meaning Jupiter and his kind) names were used for the planets.

So is the Uranus based on Uranos or is it someone totally different? :molly:

Quote Originally Posted by joekido the Second
    Mybe would be intersting if Oda uses Egyptian or Etuscian or Cetic. Would be nice
    Well Alabasta was from the start picked from an egyptian book.
    And Nefertari means beutiful in egyptian. As in Nefertari Vivi

Quote Originally Posted by Ivotas
    So is the Uranus based on Uranos or is it someone totally different? :molly:
    So far I know, there is only Uranos, son and husband of gea (gaya).
    And it's not so 'wrong' for a planet, since gea is the earth in the mithology if I remeber correctly

Quote Originally Posted by Nico Robin Fan
    So far I know, there is only Uranos, son and husband of gea (gaya).
    And it's not so 'wrong' for a planet, since gea is the earth in the mithology if I remeber correctly
    Well it appears you´re right. I´ve just searched the internet a bit and it appears that Uranus is truly based on Uranos. For anyone who´s interested here´s the complete greek names on the solar system:

Helios/Sun
    Hermes/Mercury
    Aphrodite/Venus
    Gaea/Earth
    Selene/Moon
    Ares/Mars
    Zeus/Jupiter
    Kronos/Saturn
    Uranos/Uranus
    Poseidon/Neptune
    Pluton/Pluto

Well there´s also some interesting tidbit on how the weekdays are based on planets and gods but that would be moving to far offtopic.

Sailing the Rough waters in the back of the dryer

Well it appears you´re right. I´ve just searched the internet a bit and it appears that Uranus is truly based on Uranos. For anyone who´s interested here´s the complete greek names on the solar system:

Helios/Sun
    Hermes/Mercury
    Aphrodite/Venus
    Gaea/Earth
    Selene/Moon
    Ares/Mars
    Zeus/Jupiter
    Kronos/Saturn
    Uranos/Uranus
    Poseidon/Neptune
    Pluton/Pluto

Well there´s also some interesting tidbit on how the weekdays are based on planets and gods but that would be moving to far offtopic.
    Wow this is awesome.....it's weird to hear people discussing this. I'm half greek and half italian, I gre UP reading these myths.....

Anyway, if there ARE ten ancient weapons he'd better get around to indroducing the rest of them already......

Oh and Ivoatas, thought you might like to know (WAY off topic here) they think they've found a tenth planet, they can't see it but the gravity stuff is right for their to be a planet out past pluto, thouhg of course it's not official until they get a picture. They've called it Xena.
    Riding a Rhino is safer so we Ride a Hippo for Adventure!

~Bobobobo BO-bobo~

PS: I am a big fan of kittens:love:

http://www.engrish.com/detail.php?im...ate=2005-12-25

Well it appears you´re right. I´ve just searched the internet a bit and it appears that Uranus is truly based on Uranos.
    Ouranos is an alternate spelling of Uranos that seems to be slightly more common.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq
    Ouranos is an alternate spelling of Uranos that seems to be slightly more common.
    Oops sorry. I went with the german spelling of greek myth´s. Completely forgot about the more common english spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Voodzik
    Wow this is awesome.....it's weird to hear people discussing this. I'm half greek and half italian, I gre UP reading these myths.....

Anyway, if there ARE ten ancient weapons he'd better get around to indroducing the rest of them already......

Oh and Ivoatas, thought you might like to know (WAY off topic here) they think they've found a tenth planet, they can't see it but the gravity stuff is right for their to be a planet out past pluto, thouhg of course it's not official until they get a picture. They've called it Xena.
    don't be stupid :rolleyes:
    There are many TNO (trans neptunian objects), even Pluto is one..
    they are no planets, they are just larger pieces of rock that is made in the kuiper belt... the most moons of neptune are just TNO's picked up by neptune.. ^^ ("Triton for example")..
    There's already a link between them (Neptune+Pluto) Pluto's year is exactly longer than a year on neptune by 1/3 ^^ that's no coincidence .. Pluto's Aphel (closest point to sun) isn't as high as Neptune's (both are in 29-30 Astronomic Units) that means their ways aroung the sun cross... Yet, they can't crash because of their gravitational link xD

but I guess you're refering to either quaoar or sedna? there's no such "planet" "Xena"

uh, by the way
    my english is REALLY bad today
    sorry :wacko:

Well technically since Greek and Roman each had their own alphabets, ALL of this is an english spellling...

My mom's name is Orania btw, from Uranos. Just relishing my greekness!

~Bobobobo BO-bobo~

Quote Originally Posted by Rakuen
    don't be stupid :rolleyes:
    There are many TNO (trans neptunian objects), even Pluto is one..
    they are no planets, they are just larger pieces of rock that is made in the kuiper belt... the most moons of neptune are just TNO's picked up by neptune.. ^^ ("Triton for example")..
    There's already a link between them (Neptune+Pluto) Pluto's year is exactly longer than a year on neptune by 1/3 ^^ that's no coincidence .. Pluto's Aphel (closest point to sun) isn't as high as Neptune's (both are in 29-30 Astronomic Units) that means their ways aroung the sun cross... Yet, they can't crash because of their gravitational link xD

but I guess you're refering to either quaoar or sedna? there's no such "planet" "Xena

uh, by the way
    my english is REALLY bad today
    sorry :wacko:
    Your english isn't too bad...anxd I'm just passing on what I read In either Discover or Scientific American, can't remember which.

Other science facts you're unlikely to believe: Successful experiments in teleportation using individual light streems have been conducted in Australia, and an american university has completed a long-range laser weapon (stun only.)

~Bobobobo BO-bobo~

Ouranos is more common? :huh: Where?
    He spent fifteen years getting loaded | Fifteen years 'till his liver exploded | Now what's Bob gonna do now that he can't drink? |

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information