+ Reply to Thread
Page 558 of 558 FirstFirst ... 58 458 508 548 556 557 558
Results 11,141 to 11,153 of 11153

Thread: AVGN, Channel Awful, and other web review shows

Default Re: AVGN, Channel Awful, and other web review shows

This pretty much summarizes my feelings on Future.

Last edited by Robby; May 16th, 2020 at 02:45 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Future was excelent, as in very well crafted, raised a ton of good points and shed light on a ton issues one would have with the series. I hate it. It soured me on all the original series, and I can't honestly enjoy Steven's journey as it brought him so much pain.

Like in One Piece II going through how Luffy can't sleep for weeks because his brain damage.
    I sort of have the opposite opinion, in that the original show was already ruined by those issues and it was an improvement to see Future explore them. The big hug at the end was shockingly hollow though, and the message is really confused (was their realization that Steven needed to be smothered with love and support, or that he needed to be allowed to go off on his own all alone without any support?).

In retrospect it's really bizarre that the main conflict of the season was resolved so easily because PTSD isn't the kind of thing you just get over.

Hmm, could have sworn this was the web review shows thread.

Anyway, I liked Steven Universe Future fine, but...yeah, I recognize that it had issues (as did Steven, *ba dum tsh*)

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    In retrospect it's really bizarre that the main conflict of the season was resolved so easily because PTSD isn't the kind of thing you just get over.
    He was calmed down from his meltdown and assured that he wasn't a monster for feeling negative emotions about his life, he was allowed to have them and express them.
    But his PTSD was NOT cured. When he was crying after turning back, that was still PTSD related. He was finally letting it out.

Then even when we had a short time jump to a few months ahead, he mentioned that he was STILL seeing a therapist.

---------------------------------[Youtube]-[Patreon]-[Twitter]---------------------------------

They didn’t hug away the PTSD, they hugged away his current self image problem, a regular person wouldn’t have turned into a sad kaiju when admiting to the bad stuff he did, and we’d have skipped to a good cry in the house.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by MDL View Post
    He was calmed down from his meltdown and assured that he wasn't a monster for feeling negative emotions about his life, he was allowed to have them and express them.
    But his PTSD was NOT cured. When he was crying after turning back, that was still PTSD related. He was finally letting it out.

Then even when we had a short time jump to a few months ahead, he mentioned that he was STILL seeing a therapist.
    Pretty much that ^^, plus the overarching problem not being related to a lack of affection from others -everyones love for Steven is pretty clear - but rather Steven being unwilling to reach out and communicate his needs and frustrations. Steven was unable to cope with the idea of needing help rather than providing it, and overall desperately needed to carve out a new role for himself now that the universe didn't literally rely on him. Hence why he leaves at the end - he's following his dads advice to seek inspiration for a new start, but now with the understanding that everyone 100% has his back, whatever happens. Its the healthy version of Gregs relationship with his terrible parents.

(Side note: The episode about Gregs history provoked an interesting discussion about parenting between me and my wife, but why anyone would point to it as some atrocity on Gregs part is totally lost on me. Yes, growing up in a stable environment is good for a kid, but Gregs parents were shits, and the only reason Steven didn't see that was because he was an angry teen in a terrible headspace. Seriously, they forced Greg to be a MATHLETE and a WRESTLER. GREG. Plus, you know, completely ghosting him)
    Last edited by Daz; May 18th, 2020 at 05:49 AM.

That and the fact that having a normal childhood (tm) for Steven would be impossible once his gem powers start to show up, I get the overarching theme of “a kid needs boundaries” but would those boundaries be Able to create the kind and nurturing soul who time and again managed to reach out into the loneliness of others and bring out the best of themselves? You know when he wasn’t constantly traumatized by the horrors of the universe.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

The story is framed in a way that is like “yes Greg you screwed me over and this is your fault, not of my mom or the galactic empire of my grandma, or just circumstances of being born in a time of turmoil, but yours because you didn’t take me to learn math and the doctor, even when is impossible for me to get physically sick, but I forgive you”
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    (Side note: The episode about Gregs history provoked an interesting discussion about parenting between me and my wife, but why anyone would point to it as some atrocity on Gregs part is totally lost on me. Yes, growing up in a stable environment is good for a kid, but Gregs parents were shits, and the only reason Steven didn't see that was because he was an angry teen in a terrible headspace. Seriously, they forced Greg to be a MATHLETE and a WRESTLER. GREG. Plus, you know, completely ghosting him)
    Greg has a real tendency to severely understate things as well so it's entirely possible they were a lot worse to him than what he said in the episode. If nothing else, Andy didn't bother to chew Greg out for not talking to them and he was all about family so it would make sense if most of them actually sided with Greg.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    They didn’t hug away the PTSD, they hugged away his current self image problem, a regular person wouldn’t have turned into a sad kaiju when admiting to the bad stuff he did, and we’d have skipped to a good cry in the house.
    Maybe I'm just being cynical then, not having seen anywhere near that kind of support growing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    Greg has a real tendency to severely understate things as well so it's entirely possible they were a lot worse to him than what he said in the episode. If nothing else, Andy didn't bother to chew Greg out for not talking to them and he was all about family so it would make sense if most of them actually sided with Greg.
    I just assumed that they were emotionally abusive in seemingly mundane ways that made it harder for Greg to explain.
    Last edited by RoboBlue; May 18th, 2020 at 10:46 AM.

RLM just posted a Plinkett review of the new Picard show. So yeah, fair warning to any fans of the show, they're not going to be generous.

It's becoming increasingly clear how fans are offering better content than the showrunners. The "Behind the Scenes" talk outweights the scenes, and that too is far more interesting to witness with how they seemingly all act in unison when talking about their products, that you couldnt distinguish one from another. Because they keep ravaging old properties claiming to be aimed for both new and old fans, where the latter have standards and will be critical, while the former wont stick for the most part. Plinkett is one of many phenomenons caused by all this, where they give voice to the complaints many cant properly explain or are either shunned for sharing said thoughts or flat out not listened to.

This review had a better latter half where it makes more logical observations about the synths and romulans, while the first half i felt was kinda going nowhere with smaller nitpicks. The last 20 or so minutes however felt great for the positive message of what can still be achieved. Ultimately the old Trek felt and still feels unique, while the new feels homogenized with many other productions banging the same drum, indistinguishable between themselves like the same "Behind the Scenes" aforementioned.
    Last edited by Yobiyopi; May 19th, 2020 at 09:26 AM.

Here's the Winners of Linkara Atop The Fourth Wall Event Comics Month III plus the rest of the schedule

6/1 – DC Challenge! #1
    6/8 – PATREON: Zyurangers Episodes 40-43
    6/15 – Trouble #5
    6/22 – PATREON: Dan Dare: Voyage to Venus
    6/29 – Superman #358

Event Comics Month III: Crisis of the Secret House
    7/6 – Zero Hour: Crisis in Time
    7/13 – House of M
    7/20 – Secret Empire
    7/27 – Heroes in Crisis

8/3 – Dinosaur Rex #1
    8/10 – Ninjutsu #1
    8/17 – PATREON: Green Goblin #1-2, 4, 8, 12-13
    8/24 – Titans/Teen Titans/Deathstroke: The Lazarus Contract
    8/31 – Mr. T and the T-Force #5
    9/7 – PSA Hell: The Amazing Spider-Man: Riot at Robotworld
    9/14 – PATREON: Emergency! #1
    9/21 – No AT4W This week
    9/28 – US-1 #9

Kamen Rider OOOs

UnrevealedVegapunk/Ryokugyu/Loki/Rocks/Im-san/S.Gaban
    IslandElbaf/Raftel/GodValley
    UnresolvedWeevil´s plan/Explaining DFs/Deal with Kuma-Bonney´s past/Joy-Boy/Zunisha´s story/Rocks flashback/Void Century/Rioponeglyph/Uranus/the D.clan
    DFSpider/Wind/Metal/Wood/Acid/Liquid/Time-Stop

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information