+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 901: Even If You Die, Don't Die!!!

Default Re: Chapter 901: Even If You Die, Don't Die!!!

Jimbe is already a SHs, bless the man if he doesn't want his former crew to die off.
    IF YOU DIE, I'LL KILL YOU....

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    Well, this chapter...

On its own, this chapter was pretty enjoyable to read… if not for a little sin. I hate what Oda has done with the now fake cliffhanger from last chapter. Although I admit that this solution isn’t the most incoherent between the many theories that people formulated for Sunny’s shipwreck being an illusion, this just feels deceitful nonetheless.
    The problem is that Oda deliberately had Oven remove the fishmen from the equation. So having them come back anyways feels like a cop out.

Purely coincidence

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Not really sure what to think about this chapter.

Positives: Gerth. Also, Wadatsumi's declaration was great. I actually care about a Fishman Island antagonist now!

Honestly, even though the ship destruction fakeout and Wadatsumi's rescue was a pretty safe route to go, I did really like how it segued into the whole sentiment of the Sun Pirates taking on the BMPs to let the Straw Hats escape. But as for Jinbe...he's the reason why I'm not sold on an opinion yet. Part of me is really frustrated that we have to wait longer for him to join the crew in full, and of course this is going to fan the flames of death predictions all over again. However, I'm intrigued by what possible implications there are for his possible arrival later into the Wano arc. When he gets to Wano, he's going to bring some kind of baggage from Big Mom along and I am quite interested in what that will be. And to be fair, the moment where he officially takes up arms as a Straw Hat will have more weight if he does it with all of them, in my opinion.

Also LOL on Moscato.

Spoiler:

Everything about that Wadatsumi thing was just too far past the willing suspension of disbelief. Suddenly Oven just conveniently stopped doing his thing for them to pull that switch, and we don't even get any hint as to that's what happened last chapter and it has to be explained like a magic trick after it's already been done. It's sloppy and unsatisfying. Then add the whole Jinbe thing to the mix and that leads to this being a very disappointing chapter where the best thing is the cover page. Whatever, at least this gets the Straw Hats out of there and now all they have to deal with is Big Mom wanting Luffy's soul, good luck with that. Wondering how much closure Germa will get this arc.
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    My conviction is that Jimbe is already a crewmember and this fact can’t be more explicit than Luffy’s words in this chapter calling himself Jimbe’s captain.
    Could you please tell that to Oda? Because He's annoying me with his obstinate refusal to include him in the colour spreads.

Purely coincidence

Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    Everything about that Wadatsumi thing was just too far past the willing suspension of disbelief. Suddenly Oven just conveniently stopped doing his thing for them to pull that switch, and we don't even get any hint as to that's what happened last chapter and it has to be explained like a magic trick after it's already been done. It's sloppy and unsatisfying. Then add the whole Jinbe thing to the mix and that leads to this being a very disappointing chapter where the best thing is the cover page. Whatever, at least this gets the Straw Hats out of there and now all they have to deal with is Big Mom wanting Luffy's soul, good luck with that. Wondering how much closure Germa will get this arc.
    To be fair, while I don't really like the fakeout, Wadatsumi does mention how the water is hot. So it's possible he went below where it was cold, took a "deep breath" so to speak, then rose up into the boiling water quickly to swap the ships then back down to the cold water.

Why does Wadatsumi need to switch the ships anyways? Why not just pull the Sunny underwater and out of danger?

Purely coincidence

Quote Originally Posted by AvocadoInTheRain View Post
    Could you please tell that to Oda? Because He's annoying me with his obstinate refusal to include him in the colour spreads.
    He's just teasing with the last colorspread. There's that one from the popularity poll that the Strawhats weren't drawn... as well as Jimbe, the 6th place.

Why does Wadatsumi need to switch the ships anyways? Why not just pull the Sunny underwater and out of danger?
    The hope was to fakeout the Big Mom Pirates, if you don't have some ship get destroyed, then they'll immediately notice something happened. Unfortunately for Wadatsumi and co., the BMP figured it out after the smoke cleared. But, it was at least worth a chance of trying.

The problem is that Oda deliberately had Oven remove the fishmen from the equation. So having them come back anyways feels like a cop out.
    Kinda, but I never saw that as the end of the fishmen participation in this escape. I just think Oda could have been more clever not showing especifically Wadatsumi swimming away.

They were trying to fake out BM's crew. It's funny, because I had thought of the possibility of them faking their deaths. Unfortunately her crew immediately caught on to the ruse.

I think the reasoning is to fool the Big Mom Pirates and try to gain some time to flee.

Pretty enjoyable chapter. There was no perfect solution to a cliffhanger as big as the last one, but Wadatsumi worked better in practice than I might have guessed from the spoilers. I'm a little sad Jinbe couldn't come with the crew now, but what a send off the Sun Pirates are getting. Having the first page seemingly jump forward a few minutes to Big Mom being done eating and lying down as well as getting a quick refersher on the situation increases my confidence that this will be the start of volume 90. It's a better page to come back in on after a break than the first page of the last chapter.

One thing I've enjoyed about Tottoland in general is Luffy's character development. I remember waaaaay back when Fishman Island was coming out people were questioning his new "I can save everyone" attitude, comparing it to the sentiments he expressed to Vivi back in Alabasta. Luffy seemed overconfident going into the new world, but he's had a few reality checks since then. He's been unable to keep Dressrosa from being destroyed, seen Law get utterly annihilated, been manipulated into knocking down Bellamy with his own hands. Dressrosa was a win for Luffy, but it was also a learning experience. Tottoland's Luffy is working with a much more realistic attitude towards sacrifices and casualties than Fishman Island's Luffy. He chose to push forward and use Pedro's sacrifice instead of trying to avenge him in a rage. He accepted Pekoms offer to buy him time by fighting until he died of exhaustion in his sulong form without question, and now this. There's a delicate mix of trusting Jinbe to take care of himself and accepting that Jinbe is doing something absolutely necessary by putting his life on the line at play in their final exchange. Our boy's grown quite a bit over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by RyaPhoenix View Post
    To be fair, while I don't really like the fakeout, Wadatsumi does mention how the water is hot. So it's possible he went below where it was cold, took a "deep breath" so to speak, then rose up into the boiling water quickly to swap the ships then back down to the cold water.
    Yes, but then why have Oven boil out the fishman pirates at all last chapter. That was supposed to keep them out of the situation but ultimately was pointless since the guy who was shown leaving the scene is now shown to have gone back without any hint. Oven may as well have walked into the scene this chapter to do his thing after Wadatsumi swapped the ships.
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

LOL, it's not like Oven kill them all. He heated up the ocean, they flee to a cold area and return. It's not like all the entire are will be hot, and it's just a matter of time before the heated area start to cool down. Christ, ocean is massive you know.
    IF YOU DIE, I'LL KILL YOU....

Likes the way you smile =D Retro's Avatar

Not bad, again I can respect that Oda didn't go with the halluction theory, though geeze that switch was pretty split-second that even with the nonsense this series pulls, even I'm having a hard time beliving it. But eh it works and they're alive that's all that matters.

Sucks that Jinbe joining again had to be put off, but I do like the exchange between Luffy and him, it all but acknowledges that he pretty much IS in the crew. So yeah least that something to look forward to. Betcha he's going pull another rescue in Wano, I just know it.

That said, I want this chase to be over with already. Everything has been accomplished, why is it still going. Are we sincerly going to confront Big Mom near the finish line one last time. Has Sanji put in a secert ingredient that'll knock her out completely? Or are they just going to plow on through, I mean..they're kinda running out of deus ex machnias here.
    Get nuts or go crazy trying.

On a more detail-oriented criticism, it seems the Sun Pirates' ship had already been destroyed before: https://www.mangareader.net/one-piece/623/11

However I'd say that any excuse could be given to how they fixed the ship later and yadda yadda yadda.

Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    Yes, but then why have Oven boil out the fishman pirates at all last chapter. That was supposed to keep them out of the situation but ultimately was pointless since the guy who was shown leaving the scene is now shown to have gone back without any hint. Oven may as well have walked into the scene this chapter to do his thing after Wadatsumi swapped the ships.
    I don't think it was completely useless for Oven to do that the first time. I kind of see it as a small act of bravery from Wadatsumi, he knew this was gonna be hard to do, and yet he still did it. Plus, if you think about it, it's just a counterattack to Oven's counter, which is kind of what war is. You use the attacks you know work best, and see what the result is, then adjust. Which both Wadatsumi and Oven did, I find it more "realistic" (if anything can be called that in One Piece) that it happened that way, then Oven just using the attack once.

Did Gerth remind anyone else of an early Nami drawing?=

is that Moscato? because he should be dead.
    ours probably his twin brother macchiato

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information