+ Reply to Thread
Page 161 of 167 FirstFirst ... 61 111 151 159 160 161 162 163 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,220 of 3326

Thread: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

That or it's the easiest to learn first.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Forgive me if this has been brought up before, but the MHA episode that aired on Toonami this past weekend actually brought up something I had totally forgotten about. One for All actually does not inherently provide super strength to its user. The power of One for All is that it can be transferred to other people, and that's it. The Super Strength came from All for One who gifted it to this brother, the original user of One for All. So I guess Super Strength is just the most dominant of all the other quirks that were inherited?
    I have that theory, but the in story explanation is that it is the combined strenght of the 9 users (how can these people be strong enough to punch up and clear clouds is beyond me, unless the ecuation is:

x is the first strenght, he transfers x to the next one
    x1 is the second's strenght, he transfers (x1 + x) to the next one
    x2 is the third's strenght, he transfer the recieved power (x1 + x) his own power (x2) and the inherited power again (x1 + x)

and so forth, or some other unintuitive formula.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Forgive me if this has been brought up before, but the MHA episode that aired on Toonami this past weekend actually brought up something I had totally forgotten about. One for All actually does not inherently provide super strength to its user. The power of One for All is that it can be transferred to other people, and that's it. The Super Strength came from All for One who gifted it to this brother, the original user of One for All. So I guess Super Strength is just the most dominant of all the other quirks that were inherited?
    I think if whip was the first power than that's what the others would have inherit. It just happens that stockpiling power was what was given to him.It's not more dominant just the first.

Regardless of what people think of Horikoshis various decisions, I think its pretty cool that the MHA thread has sorta become the go-to thread on AP for discussions on thematic consistency. Well, at least now that Naruto is over.

*pushes up hipster glasses* actually MHA lost its best theme the moment Deku got any Quirk at all

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    That thematic purity ended when Deku wasn't a Batman. 90% of the population has one ability (or one unyfying theme), and 9.9% has 0.
    Quote Originally Posted by tatermoog View Post
    *pushes up hipster glasses* actually MHA lost its best theme the moment Deku got any Quirk at all
    Are you mocking me, or ignoring me?
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Regardless of what people think of Horikoshis various decisions, I think its pretty cool that the MHA thread has sorta become the go-to thread on AP for discussions on thematic consistency. Well, at least now that Naruto is over.
    not like boruto has anything going for it in that regard. I'm not even sure it has themes to be in/consistent with

Set Art by Daily Rowlet

Boruto's theme is "Science is bad, unless it is used to give prostetic legs to ninja puppies or make videogames"
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Are you mocking me, or ignoring me?
    Option C: read and didn't comprehend.

But fine, I give up my controversial hipster take because someone had it before it was me and that's the whole fun of having a controversial hipster take.

(it is also the correct take, I actually think)

Hori loves Spider-man. Blackwhip is pretty much Deku's webbing. I don't think any of Deku's new powers will overshadow OFA's basic power, they'll compliment them. Just waiting for him to get his run up walls quirk.

Hori's been alluding to more hero team-ups and I just realized Deku's now his own Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    I'd also be content if Eri's ability was what jump started this development.
    I love everything about this theory.
    Last edited by Nectar; January 22nd, 2019 at 09:13 AM.

NNID: jervinnectar

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    So you don't think that the thematic purity of "Guy With One Perfectly Mastered Ability" vs "Guy With Unfathomable Amount Of Abilities" is lessened by making the former "Guy With A Bunch Of Abilities, More Than Almost Everyone Else, Though Not As Many As The Bad Guy"?
    This right there is the crux of it all. Aside from how disappointingly cliche and lazy the development is, a hero is supposed to be the underdog, defeating the enemy while against a huge disadvantage. That's what makes it satisfying when he surpasses it and wins. People talking about how much it makes sense that Deku has 6 new powers are missing the point.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by tatermoog View Post
    For real, the theme of anyone can be a hero sure got undercut when Deku was literally chosen by the Jesus of the Superhero world.

Quote Originally Posted by TLC View Post
    a hero is supposed to be the underdog, defeating the enemy while against a huge disadvantage.
    Isn't the crux of the manga finding the definition of hero, and how nearsighted Deku and Bakugou were for thinking that just protecting everybody, and wining against everybody missed the picture?

A hero is the offspring of a god, a hero is the paragon of a warrior that every other warrior must aspire to become, a hero is the one that holds a value and wins while holding that value, a hero is the one that can't stop themselves from helping others, a hero is the one that brings results, a hero is the one that protects the weak to avoid the cruel tragedies to take tool and trigger natural selection, a hero is the one that shares meat/booze.

While there is nothing wrong with an underdog hero, the theme of the series is "what is trully a hero", I can't accept that answer at this point of the manga.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by darktravis View Post
    It's not so much about the number of quirks (most OFA users had their original quirk in addition to OFA) than it is about those quirks are passed around in accordance of the intents of the users.

AFO stole, kept and distributed quirks for the purpose of pure self-interest, specifically gaining power for the goal of ruling over others (all people/quirks serving the one).

OFA accumulates power through hard work and the users use that power to help others. Eventually, they reliquish all that power to give to someone else.

Basically,
    All For One's 'selfishness' (all other powers belong to me and I get to decide)
    vs
    One For All's 'sacrifice' (I'm giving up all my power to entrust to someone else)
    I agree that this is still a viable difference, but still think the whole AFO -OFA contrast is muddled by this reveal.

Admittedly, I am an extremely cursory reader of this series, but I still think this whole reveal doesn't gel well with the setup. I agree with the sentiment that giving Deku a quirk at all wasn't ideal, but under the circumstances Hori tried making the most of it. Deku goes from No Quirk to A Quirk, and even though its the strongest quirk there is, the playing field feels evened by its volatility, and his late start at using it compared to his peers. And he got the quirk by getting the admiration of not just the worlds greatest hero, but his own personal greatest hero. He earned the admiration of- and became the sucessor to - a person that mattered to him, not just from some guy he didn't really know. That was also part of the burden placed upon him: the desire to live up to OFA's legacy, specifically because of the example of All Might.

Imagine reading the beginning of the series, and every time Dekus quirk comes up -his gratitude for it, the example set by all might, other characters assesment of him based on it - theres an asterisk of *"Plus, those other five quirks from unknown characters, I guess"

The quirks from the rest of the lineage who built it. This isn't the quirk of "Bumbfuck Arizona" who Deku absorbed by eating his hair out of a gas station burrito, this is the previous holder of One For All, who very likely had a similar relationship with his menthor and protegee that we have seen in the Nana -> Toshinori -> Deku part of the chain.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

The quirks from the rest of the lineage who built it. This isn't the quirk of "Bumbfuck Arizona" who Deku absorbed by eating his hair out of a gas station burrito, this is the previous holder of One For All, who very likely had a similar relationship with his menthor and protegee that we have seen in the Nana -> Toshinori -> Deku part of the chain.
    Key word bolded. Do we as readers care about these previous Avatars? Again I confess to be out of the loop with the latest developments, but they certainly didn't seem to matter in the beginning of the series, where the core dynamics of Dekus character were defined.
    I mean, picture the beginning of the series, only All Might knowingly gives Deku a 6-quirk coctail; his own, which has tremendous significance to 0-quirk Deku, plus 5 other ones of no such significance. Doesn't it read quite differently? Doesn't Dekus aspirations to follow in All Mights footsteps get kinda muddled by having 6 times more abilities than him?

No, because the quirk is just an attache to what Deku trully believes, the symbol of peace, but that is a flawed premise:
    - All Might has no quirk, it was also inherited. What he gave besides his tutelage, was his own strength, and what Nana gave to him.
    - From the intentions of the characters, they didn't know, and what difference would have made if All Might knew, or had access to the other quirks? He had to pass it down because his body was falling and All for One's return was inevitable.
    - From the inheritance theme, just "following" a predecesor isn't enough, he has to build up as well on that legacy, and go "plus ultra" on what limited All Might.

The other predecesors haven't been important, yet, but since Nana showed up it has been an important aspect to get her backstory, and at least get to know who the 6th holder was. Other long lived individuals, or a proper search of the lineage of the quirk, would have suficed for 5th to 2th.

Speaking of the Symbol of Peace, we already know that while All Might carried the brunt of the ordeal, but there are incountable heroes, officers, rescuers, firefighters, ER doctors and bureocrats working to keep peace, just because these extra factors aren't what Deku intended to inherit or aspired, should they be discounted?
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Deku Tsunayoshi the 11th head of the Vongola Family with his tutor Hitman Reborn All Might and his story to become the greatest mafiaso hero.
    That's how the mafia works.

edit: why do people keep bringing up everyone is a hero and should be respected and loved or talked about like it's some kind of morality foothold to have in an argument.
    I thought we have Vigilantes for that?
    Of course, there's going to be chapters dedicated to the education of rescue efforts but for the love of god that's because it's the bare minimum to be a hero.
    Why should I, as a reader, be constantly reminding myself hey look Deku got another power boast but I'm sure everyone else on the planet is a gReAT heRO too because they save cats and that's important.

Like yeah the ninjas that assassinated were great ninjas but nobody gave a shit because they didn't nuke planets and stand while the entire world cheered them on.
    Oh and the other guy died to a tree branch, but we don't cry about that, do we.

Like, was the entrance exam to UA literally brute force your way through or coaxing injured children not to cry before the ambulance come?
    Or was the sports arc finals not just another shounen tournament arc final with one vs one throwing everything at each other?
    Or are you telling me that certain characters didn't carry their team despite the entire preach about team work and etc?

Look, the innovative things the author does being mentioned or that "whoa what a good deconstruction of shounen/ damn creative he was" needs to be watered down.

If Horikoshi wants us to focus on the "humane" part of being a hero, this series needs a larger share of slice of life arcs or more humane arcs that involves weaker characters and their importance.
    Or introduce and focus on awe-inspiring characters in his world building that focuses on the joy of "being a small hero is equally important" and have that actually make an impact.

But hey, guess dumping 6 powers and talking about prophecy on your mc is a great way to do that too.
    You can't front the "BnHa is a story about what is truly important aspects of being a hero...kindness, passion, friendships..."
    but you have to listen really hard past all the power creep and everyone other characters monologuing about how great and important power is and all the other characters with weak powers seem to disappear with lesser screentime...and prophecy.. but you see it's also about uh passion small acts of heroism...

Personally, it might be too early to bet on anything so I think I'm over it and just see how it'll pan out.
    But it was still a bad idea.
    Last edited by zeltrax225; January 22nd, 2019 at 11:36 AM.

We could have just stuck with just the character personality and even advice/experience of the previous users guiding Deku to better utilise his OFA rather than their powers as well. From this point on the significance of Deku reaching and surpassing All Might with his own heroism and effort is kind of lost imo because Deku basically has a significantly better quirk.

Yeah it still strikes me as weird. Did All Might never have any malfunctions? He saw brief images of the previous users but Nana apparently had an experience more similar to Deku. Why did so much seem to skip All Might? There's just so many questions lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    Yeah it still strikes me as weird. Did All Might never have any malfunctions? He saw brief images of the previous users but Nana apparently had an experience more similar to Deku. Why did so much seem to skip All Might? There's just so many questions lol.
    I get the feeling that All Might was so tuned in to the power stockpiling aspect of One for All that he never bothered to train it beyond that or even found himself in such a stressful situation that he'd trigger that aspect of OfA.
    There's been implications since day one that All Might was a little too good at it, if his bad instruction towards Deku is anything to go by a

Set Art by Daily Rowlet

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information