+ Reply to Thread
Page 203 of 203 FirstFirst ... 103 153 193 201 202 203
Results 4,041 to 4,058 of 4058

Thread: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

  1. #4041

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    Spoiler:
    Given the conclusion to this fight, in hindsight Horikoshi really could've at least found a way to spare Curious, the sole female villain of the group. It sticks out as a sore thumb that she's the only one to actually die, now we're back to just Toga lol
    Spoiler:
    Cue to her coming back after all is said and done, One Piece style.

  2. #4042

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    Spoiler:
    Given the conclusion to this fight, in hindsight Horikoshi really could've at least found a way to spare Curious, the sole female villain of the group. It sticks out as a sore thumb that she's the only one to actually die, now we're back to just Toga lol

    Spoiler:
    You have a point, but do you really expect Toga to not go for the kill? It's really in-character for her to end someone like so.

    Also, isn't it kind of weird that in a series where people survive mass electrocution and explosions, that a large fall liquefied them? It's like real-world physics just appeared for one chapter. It looked sick, sure, but it's weird.

  3. #4043
    I Like Video Game Music hosemisnuba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    United States

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    I like the sentiment and events of the ending of this arc, but the taming of Gigantomachia should've been much more climactic. I really didn't like being told Shigaraki was now the harbinger of destruction and worthy of all command of everyone- I wanted to see it, and Horokoshi definitely failed to deliver in that department.

  4. #4044

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    Quote Originally Posted by hosemisnuba View Post
    I like the sentiment and events of the ending of this arc, but the taming of Gigantomachia should've been much more climactic. I really didn't like being told Shigaraki was now the harbinger of destruction and worthy of all command of everyone- I wanted to see it, and Horokoshi definitely failed to deliver in that department.
    How was it told? We saw Shigaraki destroying a whole city in this chapter.

  5. #4045

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoment View Post
    Spoiler:
    You have a point, but do you really expect Toga to not go for the kill? It's really in-character for her to end someone like so.

    Also, isn't it kind of weird that in a series where people survive mass electrocution and explosions, that a large fall liquefied them? It's like real-world physics just appeared for one chapter. It looked sick, sure, but it's weird.
    Spoiler:
    Well that's why I said Horikoshi should've kept her alive, as he was able to for the others. I won't blame the character for her actions, as you say, it's in-character. But all the same time, this arc ended up being rather unconventional regarding its fights and ending, where everyone else didn't die after all and now works for Shiggy. So it just feels like an unnecessary waste of a rare female villain. I won't pretend I have great love for her or anything, but I just wanted to speak my mind on that is all.

    And yea, I recall many people complaining that she actually died from that.

  6. #4046
    I Like Video Game Music hosemisnuba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    United States

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    How was it told? We saw Shigaraki destroying a whole city in this chapter.
    I wanted a double panel of Gigantomachia submitting or something. Maybe the next chapter will have that, so maybe I'm complaining for no reason.

  7. #4047
    Sing Me Back Home Cyan D. Funk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Huxley U.

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    When Shigaraki buys his new Evil Lair with all that money, we need a League of Villains version of the chapter where everyone shows off their rooms.

  8. #4048

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    Gigantomachia's going to be the All For One equivalent of Deku's room, isn't it?

  9. #4049

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    Thia site is the only place where I havent seen mainly praise for this chapter...hmmm. Idk this was one of the best in the series for me, makes me care alot more about shigiraki and establishes him as a much greater threat
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:



  10. #4050
    Future good poster NER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Saudi Arabia

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    My love for this chapter us tied only with the All for one vs one for all chapter. Absolutely brilliant arc.



    Hidden:
    This phony honor code that puts you on your throne, a double standard you invoke when you want~

  11. #4051

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    Female villains chat.

    Spoiler:
    Well there is mystery test tube woman at the Doctor's lab. So Toga isn't the last. Curious could technically still be alive. Jacked up but alive lol

  12. #4052

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    Quote Originally Posted by Long John Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    Thia site is the only place where I havent seen mainly praise for this chapter...hmmm. Idk this was one of the best in the series for me, makes me care alot more about shigiraki and establishes him as a much greater threat
    I feel the opposite. It achieved the goal of finally making him genuinely intimidating, but at the same time his renewed goal of just wanting to destroy everything is completely uninteresting to me.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    Female villains chat.

    Spoiler:
    Well there is mystery test tube woman at the Doctor's lab. So Toga isn't the last. Curious could technically still be alive. Jacked up but alive lol
    Spoiler:
    That's a Nomu or whatever though. Hardly worth getting excited over given their general lack of a defining personality given their track record.

    As for Curious, they explicitly stated she died, even framing it as her giving her life to the cause. This isn't One Piece, and this all happened in a particularly gruesome arc as well, so there's no real reason to suspect she's still alive.

  13. #4053

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    Quote Originally Posted by Nectar View Post
    I wanna know why you didn't like it. Can't speak for anyone else, but I don't want this being a thread where only popular opinions get tossed around. There's Reddit for that.
    Actually r/manga has some comments and readers that dislike the direction too.
    Anyway, it's a mixed bag of reason but its mostly because my dislike from how he handled the end of the previous arc is coupled with what he did with this.
    In a sense, when you are writing shounen or handling power scales, it is very very dangerous to scale emotions/triggers to huge power ups.
    Horikoshi hasn't been doing this only once but a couple of times.
    It is apparent what he is going for with Shiragaki here.
    The edgelord character that is throwing a nuisance, with panels showing how "cool" he is.
    It's a technique utilized frequently to show off how cool the character is and you know, usually used to sell and is most of the time, terribly shallow.

    About the power ups, we have Twice, Tomura and Shiragaki sharing one common troupe for why they got such an insanely strong upgrade.
    This common thread here is their emotional outbursts and how cliche it is.
    Backstory + power up, it's a been there done that many times thing and you would think people would notice it by now when it has been used so many times this arc.
    So because they are villains somehow that is forgivable.
    Also, "giving the villains an arc" doesn't equate to him being a genius or whoa what a creative way to write things!.

    Give it some perspective, this guy literally just crammed all the developments and powerups into one single arc and he needed to do that because he did not build up the villains like he did for the heroes.
    If it's not obvious enough, he did not thought it through when he first created the Villain Alliance.
    Please tell me how is it believable for Spinner to change sides.
    Also this Re-Destro guy and his loyal followers is a freaking cult that held onto long term ideologies and belief but him throwing it all away and decided to follow a mentally unstable teenager is somehow good writing.
    Dude has been planning for years but nope the fuck away because this guy is now his jesus, nope not the guy his own name was inspired by, but this angst kid that pulled a tantrum.

    Let me put this in One Piece context for you.
    It's like Blackbeard sailed up to Wano and destroyed half the island.
    Made Kaidou bow down to him, submit his ideology to his because he awaken his devil fruit after he had a PTSD in the middle of the fight, Kaidou threw away whatsoever ambitions he has and follows Blackbeard because kewl powers.
    Big Mom, who happenstance to be there, then cries tears of joy because Blackbeard reminds me of her former captain or something and follows him too.
    But why? Why Blackbeard?
    Why Shiragaki? Why not Re-destro?
    Because the author said so and also because the edgey kid sells.

    This is a cheap move and I at least give him credit for at least attempting to establish his gallery of villains(although all he ever does is introduce new villain groups and have his poster villain boy curbstomp because hurr durr main bad guy).
    But Christ, it's in no way good writing.

    Go look at Hunter x Hunter for power ups with consequences and what hard work really equates to and how to show it through writing.


    Quote Originally Posted by themick View Post
    I wasn't a fan of this arc or the direction the manga has been going in for a while. So don't feel like you are alone.
    Thanks that's nice to know.

  14. #4054

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    I think it's cliché intentionally. Horikoshi just took the villains and made them into standard shonen protagonists. That's why you shouldn't compare Shigaraki to Blackbeard, but to Luffy. You know how Luffy's unshakeable ambition drives people to follow him? This is the same thing, except Shigaraki's dream is absolute destruction. A completely batshit insane dream, but you could say the same thing about the goals of your usual shonen protagonist.
    I might be reading too much into it, but I think this is a deconstruction of all this tropes, to show how easily they become twisted when applied to bad guys. Toga just want to be herself(a serial killer). Twice would do anything for his friends (including mass slaughter). And so on.

  15. #4055

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    Female villains chat.

    Spoiler:
    Well there is mystery test tube woman at the Doctor's lab. So Toga isn't the last. Curious could technically still be alive. Jacked up but alive lol
    Spoiler:
    I'm hoping there's MLA female heroes we haven't seen yet. Ms. Joke would be interesting, it'd give her character something to do.


    Quote Originally Posted by zeltrax225 View Post
    Actually r/manga has some comments and readers that dislike the direction too.
    Spoiler:
    Anyway, it's a mixed bag of reason but its mostly because my dislike from how he handled the end of the previous arc is coupled with what he did with this.
    In a sense, when you are writing shounen or handling power scales, it is very very dangerous to scale emotions/triggers to huge power ups.
    Horikoshi hasn't been doing this only once but a couple of times.
    It is apparent what he is going for with Shiragaki here.
    The edgelord character that is throwing a nuisance, with panels showing how "cool" he is.
    It's a technique utilized frequently to show off how cool the character is and you know, usually used to sell and is most of the time, terribly shallow.

    About the power ups, we have Twice, Tomura and Shiragaki sharing one common troupe for why they got such an insanely strong upgrade.
    This common thread here is their emotional outbursts and how cliche it is.
    Backstory + power up, it's a been there done that many times thing and you would think people would notice it by now when it has been used so many times this arc.
    So because they are villains somehow that is forgivable.
    Also, "giving the villains an arc" doesn't equate to him being a genius or whoa what a creative way to write things!.

    Give it some perspective, this guy literally just crammed all the developments and powerups into one single arc and he needed to do that because he did not build up the villains like he did for the heroes.
    If it's not obvious enough, he did not thought it through when he first created the Villain Alliance.
    Please tell me how is it believable for Spinner to change sides.
    Also this Re-Destro guy and his loyal followers is a freaking cult that held onto long term ideologies and belief but him throwing it all away and decided to follow a mentally unstable teenager is somehow good writing.
    Dude has been planning for years but nope the fuck away because this guy is now his jesus, nope not the guy his own name was inspired by, but this angst kid that pulled a tantrum.

    Let me put this in One Piece context for you.
    It's like Blackbeard sailed up to Wano and destroyed half the island.
    Made Kaidou bow down to him, submit his ideology to his because he awaken his devil fruit after he had a PTSD in the middle of the fight, Kaidou threw away whatsoever ambitions he has and follows Blackbeard because kewl powers.
    Big Mom, who happenstance to be there, then cries tears of joy because Blackbeard reminds me of her former captain or something and follows him too.
    But why? Why Blackbeard?
    Why Shiragaki? Why not Re-destro?
    Because the author said so and also because the edgey kid sells.

    This is a cheap move and I at least give him credit for at least attempting to establish his gallery of villains(although all he ever does is introduce new villain groups and have his poster villain boy curbstomp because hurr durr main bad guy).
    But Christ, it's in no way good writing.

    Go look at Hunter x Hunter for power ups with consequences and what hard work really equates to and how to show it through writing.



    Thanks that's nice to know.
    Have you tried reading My Hero Vigilantes? It's way less focused on battles and more on the characters. It's a nice palate cleanser to the main series. Anyway...

    [Horikoshi Apologist Mode Activated!]
    Spoiler:
    I'm willing to forgive Hori for the emotional power-up because quirks are more than a superpower, they're apart of you, and also because how each (in this arc, I'm not touching Deku VS Muscular, that confused me too at first) was handled. Toga's survival instincts unlocked the full capability of her quirk. Twice had a fear he was forced to face and his was less a power-up and more like using his quirk like he knew he could. Shigaraki I'm willing to forgive because we know his quirk was super-powered even as a child and Decay is most likely a mutation quirk like Eri. I'm sure it has a weakness but this was his moment to be a "badass" that comes with introducing something new a character can do.

    And, yeah, you can tell this arc was rushed. Things were happening very fast, but I don't know if it was Horikoshi or his editors egging him on to get back to Team Deku. Either way, for what it's worth I'm willing to give it a pass because I like the villains and wanted to learn more about them.

    As for Spinner, I think he has a follower personality. He latched on to Stain and now he's drinking the Shigaraki kool-aid. I don't think he's really thinking about the consequences of his actions, just that he hates the current society and wants it to change. He strikes me as a guy who's in way over his head.

    What saves Shigaraki as a character to me is his willingness to learn and adapt and him genuinely liking his comrades. Yeah, he's all about the destruction, but he's being smarter about it and will use his new resources to their fullest unlike in the Summer Camp Arc where he lost several allies.

    I'm fine with Re-Destro following Shigaraki because I think he realized its his best bet to accomplish his ultimate goal. The only difference now is he's not in charge. It had to be a huge blow to his sense of self being built up as the guy to realize Destro's dream only for someone stronger who completely mastered their quirk without support gear to blow him out of the water. I think bowing down to Shiggy shows just how much of a fanatic he is, willing to work with him as long as he gets what he wants. Why not? The current society has to go for the MLA to get what they want. Now they have the power (Shigaraki, Twice (the others too, but mostly Twice) and Gigantomachia) to do it. It's a match made in Skypiea.

    Gigantomachia seeing AFO in Shigaraki really worked for me. That's pretty much all he wanted, was to follow someone worthy to be his successor. Plus, as powerful as Shigaraki became, no way he was winning against Giganto in a serious fight then and there.

    But, yeah, My Hero Academia isn't One Piece or Hunter X Hunter, and it shouldn't be. It should follow its own rules that world has introduced and play off its particular strengths. All that being said, bad writing can ruin any story but again I'm more forgiving because I love the villains I don't think Re-Destro submitting changes his core ideology. There more than one way to skin a society.

    NNID: jervinnectar

  16. #4056

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    Quote Originally Posted by Sengokusgoat View Post
    I think it's cliché intentionally. Horikoshi just took the villains and made them into standard shonen protagonists. That's why you shouldn't compare Shigaraki to Blackbeard, but to Luffy. You know how Luffy's unshakeable ambition drives people to follow him? This is the same thing, except Shigaraki's dream is absolute destruction. A completely batshit insane dream, but you could say the same thing about the goals of your usual shonen protagonist.
    I might be reading too much into it, but I think this is a deconstruction of all this tropes, to show how easily they become twisted when applied to bad guys. Toga just want to be herself(a serial killer). Twice would do anything for his friends (including mass slaughter). And so on.
    Basically, this.

    It's totally a "why don't we get stronger the same way a shonen protag normally would?" tongue-in-cheek training arc for the villains.
    I think it's mad scientist level brilliance.

    ---------------------------------[Youtube]-[Patreon]-[Twitter]---------------------------------

  17. #4057

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    Quote Originally Posted by zeltrax225 View Post
    Actually r/manga has some comments and readers that dislike the direction too.
    Anyway, it's a mixed bag of reason but its mostly because my dislike from how he handled the end of the previous arc is coupled with what he did with this.
    In a sense, when you are writing shounen or handling power scales, it is very very dangerous to scale emotions/triggers to huge power ups.
    Horikoshi hasn't been doing this only once but a couple of times.
    It is apparent what he is going for with Shiragaki here.
    The edgelord character that is throwing a nuisance, with panels showing how "cool" he is.
    It's a technique utilized frequently to show off how cool the character is and you know, usually used to sell and is most of the time, terribly shallow.

    About the power ups, we have Twice, Tomura and Shiragaki sharing one common troupe for why they got such an insanely strong upgrade.
    This common thread here is their emotional outbursts and how cliche it is.
    Backstory + power up, it's a been there done that many times thing and you would think people would notice it by now when it has been used so many times this arc.
    So because they are villains somehow that is forgivable.
    Also, "giving the villains an arc" doesn't equate to him being a genius or whoa what a creative way to write things!.

    Give it some perspective, this guy literally just crammed all the developments and powerups into one single arc and he needed to do that because he did not build up the villains like he did for the heroes.
    If it's not obvious enough, he did not thought it through when he first created the Villain Alliance.
    Please tell me how is it believable for Spinner to change sides.
    Also this Re-Destro guy and his loyal followers is a freaking cult that held onto long term ideologies and belief but him throwing it all away and decided to follow a mentally unstable teenager is somehow good writing.
    Dude has been planning for years but nope the fuck away because this guy is now his jesus, nope not the guy his own name was inspired by, but this angst kid that pulled a tantrum.

    Let me put this in One Piece context for you.
    It's like Blackbeard sailed up to Wano and destroyed half the island.
    Made Kaidou bow down to him, submit his ideology to his because he awaken his devil fruit after he had a PTSD in the middle of the fight, Kaidou threw away whatsoever ambitions he has and follows Blackbeard because kewl powers.
    Big Mom, who happenstance to be there, then cries tears of joy because Blackbeard reminds me of her former captain or something and follows him too.
    But why? Why Blackbeard?
    Why Shiragaki? Why not Re-destro?
    Because the author said so and also because the edgey kid sells.

    This is a cheap move and I at least give him credit for at least attempting to establish his gallery of villains(although all he ever does is introduce new villain groups and have his poster villain boy curbstomp because hurr durr main bad guy).
    But Christ, it's in no way good writing.

    Go look at Hunter x Hunter for power ups with consequences and what hard work really equates to and how to show it through writing.



    Thanks that's nice to know.
    Spoiler:
    A lot of this argument is hyperbolic, and I dunno if it's intentional. Re-Destro didn't really throw his resources and beliefs away. He just acknowledged that someone else was more appropriate to accomplish his objective, which he still wants to do. There's nothing particularly wrong with this writing. Plus, Twice and Tomura's upgrades are not exactly emotional outbursts. It's more about getting over their handicaps.

    Shonen Jump in general has a problem building up villains because very few authors risk focusing on other characters besides the protagonists at first, so ratings don't drop. No one really does this in the early years of a work (if not ever), and even having a arc starring villains is considered "taboo" as one Japanese company CEO put it on twitter. One needs to be a very established dude like Togashi to have the cloth over editors to pull this off.

    Also, I dunno what's the thing with Blackbeard. Are you saying Shigaraki should not be the main villain or something? Despite him being built up since Chapter 10-12?

    What exactly is this direction you wanted things to go?
    Last edited by King Cannon; August 18th, 2019 at 06:17 AM.

  18. #4058
    Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Nampa, ID

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    Quote Originally Posted by Nectar View Post
    Spoiler:
    Shigaraki I'm willing to forgive because we know his quirk was super-powered even as a child and Decay is most likely a mutation quirk like Eri. I'm sure it has a weakness but this was his moment to be a "badass" that comes with introducing something new a character can do.
    I'm not sure I see it nails but I saw it suggested that parts of Shigaraki (his right arm, for instance) has started to decay as a result of his last but attack, so it seems there could be the limiter.

    Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts