+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Weather and Natural Disasters Thread

Default Re: 2018 Weather Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmetal-lich View Post
    When I was overseas in Korea, the heat there was almost unbearable. I had to stuff up every hole in my apartment just to keep that cold air in the house. That little a/c was my lifeblood, but fuck did it leak water sometimes.
    Wow... is Korea tropical or sub-tropical? I keep thinking of jungles but then remember I'm thinking of Veitnam not Korea is where my dad went. I've never been out of the USA. I grew up in NE Texas, visited grandparents down on coast in Corpus Christi, and great grandparents in W Texas. I've lived as short time on the west coast of Oregon, half a year in Oklahoma then 10 years in Wisconsin.

First off best place in weather is Oregon despite ..yes.. the overcast stereotype is authentic! But the summers were not so hot nor was the winters too bad.
    For Oklahoma.... I was there from fall to early spring, nothing too bad there but it was so bland nothing stands out except flat land everywhere lol.
    In Texas - some say "it may get hot"... there is no maybe about it. It will get hot, its just a matter of how hot, if its a dry or moist heat. If a moist heat, just how bad is the humidity. In the DFW area humidity can get bad but nowhere as bad as down in the inland side of coastal cities of the Gulf. In the NE TX, I could never understand why news would say its "89F in the shade" I was like wha... the shade makes no difference in the heat! (now that I am in WI, I can understand and tell there is a difference between in the sun and shade here)

When I visited my grandparents, they unfortunately lived in the suburbs on the inland side and the tall buildings of the city blocked the winds from reaching further inland. The humidity was so bad that it felt like I had a blanket that was soaked in hot water then thrown over me before being pushed out into 100 F sun. I was there one week and wanted, begged, to go back to the DFW area since I couldn't breathe well in the humidity. Out on the beach it wasn't so bad, actually it was beautiful and had no trouble, but return to their home.... gahhh
    "Gunpowder" Lagoon Fishhawk, here.
    What's your pirate name? use the funny name generator here

I'm actually not aware if Korea is tropical or not, only that it gets fucking HOT and has decent winters. Not the ones from Canada, but cold enough that you need to bust out a decent winter coat for.

Of course, as someone who comes from Canada, seeing the rest of the world react to what they call "snow fall" amuses me greatly.
    I started a blog about Harem Anime right here! https://dewbond.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by KzTxL7 View Post
    I wasn't distracted by Lucy being half naked.

You won this week Fairy Tail.

21st Century Schizoid Man S.C. Amigo's Avatar

It's hotter then a rattlesnake's ballsack today.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmetal-lich View Post
    I'm actually not aware if Korea is tropical or not, only that it gets fucking HOT and has decent winters. Not the ones from Canada, but cold enough that you need to bust out a decent winter coat for.

Of course, as someone who comes from Canada, seeing the rest of the world react to what they call "snow fall" amuses me greatly.
    LOL than you can imagine how I was when I moved! I remember as a teen there was a lady from NY riding the bus in a Dallas suburb. It was summer but somehow got on the topic of snow/ice and road closures. She was complaining how we down south don't know how to drive on a snow covered road,

NYer="Just a inch of snow and you can't drive. More than that and you close the road down. Just put some snow-tires on and no need to close the damn road!"

I had to reply to her= "Those snow tires would be useless since it rarely gets that bad, also it doesn't get deep enough to use them, so the chains on the tires could likely ruin the road instead. All we need is a sand/salt mix to melt ice and gain traction". I left unsaid that yes some idiots can't drive at all.;)

I and yes I am not exaggerating on the lack of snowfall in NE Tx. I was 18 before I saw 2 in of "real snow" aka the fluffy stuff, not sleet which is what was more common. Sleet and ice was far more common. In all my time living there (DFW area) I never experienced more than 3 ins.

It wasn't until I was on Oregon I expernced 6 inches.... and YES! I put on double layers and went out in it!
    My first winter here in WI, I encountered a blizzard, temps below freezing and record breaking snowfall. And that met what I was expecting when I moved up here. But in subsequent winters, it was never that bad. Oh sure, we still get below freezing and it was another winter (not the blizzard) that it reached negative teens. But the snowfall (still greater than Tx - FAR greater) hasn't reached that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by S.C. Amigo View Post
    It's hotter then a rattlesnake's ballsack today.
    *looks at location* I am not surprised... ouch! Seems Arizona is hot all the time. But this is summer... in the desert. Double ouch. Is a normal range for your area or are you experiencing a higher than average temps? I thought I saw something a week ago that projected higher than norm for areas of AZ-NM but not sure how long it was suppose to last or exact area.

Good ole New England. A hot day where we expect nothing but sunshine but get a fucker of a thunderstorm squall that dumps the Gulf of Mexico on us and puts the power out in lots of places.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Good ole New England. A hot day where we expect nothing but sunshine but get a fucker of a thunderstorm squall that dumps the Gulf of Mexico on us and puts the power out in lots of places.
    yeouch! New England, now there's one area I've never been ... oh who am I kidding there's a LOT of places here in the no-longer-that-so-good ol' USA I've never been to lol.

That reminds me of another difference between Madison, WI and DFW, TX = the spring storms
    And boy do those thunderstorms do spring up quickly down there. I remember one day biking across town going home from work. Walking it was nearly 45 mins, on a bicycle about 15-20 min. I left the hospital it was slightly overcast. By 5 mins later black clouds, then in minutes buckets of rain were being dumped. It was so heavy I had to get off the bike, not due to rain making it hard to ride but because I couldn't see due to the heavy rain. Less than 5 mins it was over and I could start the 7-10s ride left to home. By time I got home it was full sun.

I was here in Madison for 3 years before I realized that Wisconsin (at least this area of the state) don't get the rampage of bad thunderstorms that East Texas does. Some storms sure, but a entire season of bad storms? nope.
    If it took me that long to realize it, I guess I really don't miss it ;)

Wisconsin is about the same latitude as New England, so our weather is mostly the same. It's just living near the ocean here can fuck with out weather more than the midwest. Eastern Texas is closer to the ocean too (only it's Gulf of Mexico rather than the Atlantic), so that's partly why they get squalls like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Katzztar View Post
    Anyone else in midst of a heat wave?
    This weekend is unusually hot for this region. For June the average is around 80 f for late June. Today was in upper 80s/low 90s but heat index reached 96. Tomorrow is suppose to reach between 93-95 and feel like 99 F
    Heat advisory warnings has been issued for this weekend

.... dang it, this heat is why I left Texas! Well this means I won't be getting out unless its an emergency.

good new is that its suppose to cool off some by Tues. If I was still Texas, heat index would be higher, the shade offering no relief and temps would only be climbing higher.
    In Hungary, it's hot and also overcast a lot of the time (no rain since last week when there was a storm and heavy downpour like every other day). My heat tolerance was never that spectacular but hormone replacement made it worse I reckon.

Also, there are a lot of bugs and a great number of them seem to enjoy suiciding in my mouth, nose and eyes.

Wisconsin is about the same latitude as New England, so our weather is mostly the same. It's just living near the ocean here can fuck with out weather more than the midwest. Eastern Texas is closer to the ocean too (only it's Gulf of Mexico rather than the Atlantic), so that's partly why they get squalls like that.
    Yeah being nearer to big body of water really changes things. Madison has it milder weather than Milwaukee since the later is on the coast of a great lake (more like a inland sea!) and they get that lake effect snow and such there. Sure Madison is the only city built on an isthmus and sits with 2 lakes on it sides but those are not big lakes at all so don't really affect the weather save for mugginess on hot days.

NE TX is so bad because it gets the moist air coming from the south from the gulf that meets the hot dry air from the west. In fact the region stretching from San Antonio up to Denton (just north of Dallas) is known as Flood Alley due to this and the sudden and frequent storms that arise in that region in the spring- early summer time

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Nolus View Post
    In Hungary, it's hot and also overcast a lot of the time (no rain since last week when there was a storm and heavy downpour like every other day). My heat tolerance was never that spectacular but hormone replacement made it worse I reckon.

Also, there are a lot of bugs and a great number of them seem to enjoy suiciding in my mouth, nose and eyes.
    Oh dear, Nolus you have my sympathy.
    I really don't know which of those is worse: the heat, the heat during hormone fluctuations, or the bugs that won't stay away from body openings.
    They all make me shudder. .... though that last one really does add the gross factor!
    I've not started menopause yet (thank goodness) but I remember the 'hot/cold/hot' phases both my mom and sister would go through due to hormone levels changes. I have to wonder if Hormone therapy has a similar effect on temperature tolerances like that, even if its only half as bad, .... you have my sympathy and hope you can get comfy soon.

Know what sucks?

It's 68 F, you think its a nice day so open the windows. But soon close them and turn on fan of the A/C because the 90+% humidity makes too muggy. Only the fan doesn't seem to make a difference so you give up and turn off the fan to actually cool A/C.

Well fuck Its not like I excpected to save money on electric bill this summer....

When does anybody save money on the electric bill in summer? Winter eats up our gas, summer our electricity.

I save on the elect. bill by moving from Texas to Wisconsin
    I usually pay about 1/3rd what I had to down in TX. About Aug its, of course, higher but still not what I paid in TX.

One may think since I'm in Wisconsin and its more snowy here than NE TX, that'd impact the pocket. Heat is included in the rent, so a save there.
    I ride the bus, so usually save on gas ... except in winter. The bus system don't like 'kneeling the bus' (lowering it for handicapped) during the winter since it puts the underside into snowbanks. So I use taxis more often in the winter. But still its not much on gas since I dont' go every week.

Get thee gone, ad-bot! I banish thee!

Look at what you did, Katz.

Look at what you did, Katz.
    Oh I see and like! Those ad bots are really annoying in how much they've recently been invading the AP forums.
    If I see them I try to report them ASAP.

I have to thank the mods for their effort to get rid of them.
    Since I don't know who does get rid of them, I thank all of you mods.

21st Century Schizoid Man S.C. Amigo's Avatar

I report so many spam bots, I wonder if any the mods recognize me from doing so. :P

Well there's a massive heat wave for mid-US this weekend, esp for Fri-Sat. Stretching from Texas up to Wisconsin and surrounding states will be a heat warning, with select areas having either a excessive heat watch, or worse excessive heat warning. Yippe, I'm in one of the worse areas, its expected to reach just under the record high of 96F.

Today is expected to reach 94. But the heat index is expected to reach 105! ... yeah I'm staying in today. I got food to last a few days. May get boring eating spaghetti, ramen noodles, or fish sticks for 3 days straight, but I'll stay out of that frickin heat. If I get too tired of that fare I could always break down and catch last bus of the day (around 10 or 11 pm) and catch cab back) but I ain't getting out in that heat!

Hope everyone that's in any region that's having a having a heat wave be able to stay cool.

Yeah, this week is gonna suck.

Nothing to do but drink water and boot up the air conditioner.

Default Re: 2018 Weather and Natural Disasters Thread

Today is better than Friday or Saturday .. but the mugginess is still making things miserable and can't open the windows even at night. My elect. usage is for June this year has been higher than the last for years. The upside is its still lower than what it would have been if I had stayed in Texas!

But to make things really miserable is the bugs. Mosquitoes are so bad that when I went out at midnight, I wore a long sleeve shirt and pants to avoid being bitten up. And its not just me, I saw my neighbor walking her dog; not only was she wearing a sweater w/the hood up (I've never seen her do that), but also had a handkerchief tied over her nose & mouth. Only skin exposed as eyes and hands. In the 6 years she'd been my neighbor I've never seen her bundle up like that.

Default Re: 2018 Weather and Natural Disasters Thread

First off, thank you mod(s) for helping with the change in thread title.

I had thought I posted this a few days ago, but just realized it was posted in the wrong thread (Laugh out Loud) whoops!

Quote Originally Posted by Katzztar View Post
    Anyone from the UK or Ireland?

Roads and Roofs Melt Amid Record Heat in United Kingdom, Ireland
    As the United Kingdom and Ireland baked in heat that broke all-time records in some areas, parts of the infrastructure did not hold up well.

In recent days, numerous images like the one above have surfaced, illustrating how extreme heat has stressed the roads. That picture, captured Wednesday near the Irish town of Ardara in County Donegal, showed liquefied tar on Glengesh Road, according to Donegal News editor Harry Walsh. Melted tar was also seen on several roads in the U.K., local reports said.

"Typically there's enough moisture during a British summer to keep the heat tamped down, but this month has been one of the driest Junes on record," said Weather Underground weather and climate writer Bob Henson. "Most U.K. homes don't have air conditioning, so that only adds to the misery of a multi-day heat wave."

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information