+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Weather and Natural Disasters Thread

Default Re: 2018 Weather and Natural Disasters Thread

In the words of my father, "Thank god there's no climate change."

Literally every Summer: OH MY GOD! CLIMATE CHANGE! WHY DIDN'T WE LISTEN?!

Literally every Winter: LOL, what climate change?

lol. Well, with these Winter hurricanes, or "bomb cyclones", you can argue it's a little more climate change.

I've not posted an update to the Hawaii volcano a bit, so went searching....

'The entire habitat is gone': Hawaii's natural wonders claimed by lava
    In Puna, the area of Hawaii island that’s been hardest hit by the Kilauea volcano eruption, those who lived nearest to the lava flows watched the forest around their homes begin to die first. They said the fruit trees, flowers and ferns began turning brown, languishing in the noxious, sulfur-dioxide-filled air. Then the lava came. Now large swaths of formerly verdant forest have been replaced by rough and barren volcanic terrain.

Article states it can take around 100 years for the forests to return. Of course that's not the only ecological casualty of the lavas. In early June, the 400 yr old Green Lake was filled with lava and evaporated away.

I tried to link pics but they didn't work. The images are powerful.
    "Gunpowder" Lagoon Fishhawk, here.
    What's your pirate name? use the funny name generator here

Discovered Stowaway

With the ongoing moderate drought here combined with having a well system and a large garden, I have started to supplement my water needs by collecting the water from my dehumidifier. I'm hoping this puts a lot less pressure on my well, along with keeping the garden relatively healthy.

Not a bad idea. If for nothing else than watering your garden with so you can keep the other water for, er, drinking.

In Indiana when a hell of a thunderstorm hits, only waking the next morning to see a tree down the street having lost a huge branch which is now leaning precariously on the power lines. I don't care if it's Sunday, CALL THE FUCKING ELECTRIC COMPANY!!

Unfortunately the rain hasn't solved the awful humidity that's been plaguing here for the past week. I may visit Indiana, but I will NEVER live here. I will never live anywhere farther South than Philadelphia.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Not a bad idea. If for nothing else than watering your garden with so you can keep the other water for, er, drinking.

In Indiana when a hell of a thunderstorm hits, only waking the next morning to see a tree down the street having lost a huge branch which is now leaning precariously on the power lines. I don't care if it's Sunday, CALL THE FUCKING ELECTRIC COMPANY!!

Unfortunately the rain hasn't solved the awful humidity that's been plaguing here for the past week. I may visit Indiana, but I will NEVER live here. I will never live anywhere farther South than Philadelphia.
    *runs to see just how far 'South' Philly is* not far but far enough ... Yeah don't blame you there.

gah, the humidity seems bad everywhere lately. Heck I can't catch a break even during the night as the humidity rises to over 90% (several times it was 98%), and only drops as the sun rises... which causes the temps to rise. So no opening the windows for a while here

Default Re: 2018 Weather Thread

Well seems that Kilauea volcano is finally setting down. according to an article on weather.com, its quiet except for fissure 8, the only fissure still erupting. The volcano went active back in May was active for over 2 months. From a lake being evaporated to an old growth forest destroyed and countless homes and even a power plant... now there's an act of creation. And no I don't mean the new land the lava is creating, as that's still over existing land.

I mean shortly off the coast, there's a tiny island being formed. Its currently only 20-30 feet so yes, tiny. But hey its new land where ocean was before so its new creation! Its possible its from the lava buildup from fissure 8. ITs too small and too close to the Big Island to be the 'next island' in the Hawaiian Islands chain, its likely to connect to the Big Island, if it doesn't collapse since new islands created by lava flows can be unstable.

Lava From Hawaii's Kilauea Volcano Creates Tiny New Island

Sometimes, weather can be freaky, other's its ordinary weather that meets odd situation that results in a freaky occurance.
    A fire in Texas during days of triple digits is of the later category. The cause of the fire was .... torillia chips?!

Seriously! I saw this at weather.com then went looking for other artices on it.

It seems they tried a new waste program that involved making the waste chips into a power. Some articles say they got soaked in oil, a few articles don't mention that. What is said is that in the high heat of triple digits the power spontaneously combusted. At first I thought how... but then I remembered that fine flour is combustible. There was even a big factory fire once somewhere (Texas? can't remember) at a flour factory some years (decades?) ago. so yeah it's believable. No.. wait that was a "dust explosion"... this had no actual explosion,

weather.com It Was So Hot That Tortilla Chips Spontaneously Combusted, Causing Multiple Blazes in Texas
    newsweek Tortilla Chip ‘Spontaneous Combustion’ Sparked Multiple Fires in Texas
    Last edited by Katzztar; July 21st, 2018 at 03:46 PM.

Heat wave in Japan leaves 14 dead.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-2020-olympics

Spoiler:

This is why if I ever lived in Japan I'd only live in Hokkaido.

As much as I fucking love Kyoto, it's about the same latitude as the Carolinas. I wouldn't last a summer there.

Greece wildfires death toll hits 80 as rescue efforts intensify

Very interesting article that originally ran earlier, but was updated yesterday=
    Huge wildfires are spreading in California, Oregon, and Colorado. They’re poised to get worse.
    Wildfires have almost become a year-round threat in some parts of the western United States. From Colorado to California, it feels like the blazes from last year never went out.

Flames ignited forests and chaparral virtually nonstop in 2017, and the year ended with record infernos in Southern California that burned well into 2018.
    Officials don’t refer to “fire seasons anymore but rather to fire years,” Jennifer Jones, a spokesperson for the National Interagency Fire Center, told me in an email.
    The NIFC reports that this year, wildfires have burned more than 3.9 million acres, behind the 5 million acres that had burned as of this time last year.
    One part is likely to be contraverisal to some as it says many of the US wildfires are not natural events.
    But the destruction from the gargantuan blazes we’ve seen in recent years is hardly natural; human activity is clearly making it worse.

For one thing, humans start the vast majority of these fires, upward of 84 percent of them. California officials have blamed a dozen of last year’s fires on Pacific Gas and Electric’s power lines. Utilities were also blamed for fires in Nevada. Arson was suspected for fires in Northern California.

Another factor is how humans use the land. People are increasingly building closer to the wilderness, blurring the line between suburbs and shrubland. That means that when fires do burn, they threaten more lives and property. Meanwhile, active fire suppression in some areas has allowed dry vegetation to accumulate, so when embers ignite, it causes a massive conflagration.
    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

The above article has a link included this video

Looks like it's basically hot *everywhere*. We usually have really high temp for a few days, but it's been 25-30 C (which is around 80-90 F I believe) for like two weeks now.

Northern countries like mine don't have much in the ways of AC because we generally don't need it and our houses are built to keep warmth in so summers like these are a pain.

What an unsually hot summer.

21st Century Schizoid Man S.C. Amigo's Avatar

It's hotter then a god-damn rattlesnake's ballsack in southern Arizona. But because it's monsoon season, you have high himidty with like 114-115 degree weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Kizuchan View Post
    Looks like it's basically hot *everywhere*. We usually have really high temp for a few days, but it's been 25-30 C (which is around 80-90 F I believe) for like two weeks now.

Northern countries like mine don't have much in the ways of AC because we generally don't need it and our houses are built to keep warmth in so summers like these are a pain.

What an unsually hot summer.
    Were are you located? My instinct is saying not in US since you said 'northern countries', instead of 'the north' or 'northern states'. I don't know anything much about outside of the US, so I'm curious.

I do understand about the northern regions not needing AC though. I grew up down south in Texas where AC is mandatory in the building codes. In the NE Texas, they would have both but there are areas (esp, in southernmost of state) where heaters are not mandatory and some buildings don't have any.

About 10 yrs ago, I moved up north to Wisconsin and its flipped. Its mandatory building code to have heaters, but some buildings don't have AC. When I lived in Texas, I used to hear how northern cities like Chicago, Ill. would have made it onto national news for having a death toll due to the heat after two days in triple digits. I wondered why they would have such trouble when down in Dallas we were having the 3rd month of triple digits. It wasn't until I grew up ... and moved up north.. that I realized that not everyone had AC.

North Eastern Europe to be less vague.

Such an unusual heat wave. But if it rains there might be some relief. (Or it might get worse if it's very little rain because humidity makes things much worse).

Welp it seems like they've sort of contained the massive forest fire that was approaching our town. Or contained is the wrong word i guess it's more accurate to say that it isn't expected to wildly consume everything in it's path anymore but it ain't going to stop burning no mattet what is thrown at it. Atm fighter jets are bombing the terrain to hopefully hinder the spread a little bit. And a bunch of polish and german firefighting crews arrived a few days ago so i guess the situation is better in the manpower deparment.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Welp it seems like they've sort of contained the massive forest fire that was approaching our town. Or contained is the wrong word i guess it's more accurate to say that it isn't expected to wildly consume everything in it's path anymore but it ain't going to stop burning no mattet what is thrown at it. Atm fighter jets are bombing the terrain to hopefully hinder the spread a little bit. And a bunch of polish and german firefighting crews arrived a few days ago so i guess the situation is better in the manpower deparment.
    0.0 Hope you stay safe and good luck to you, Wolfwood.

Just an update on Kilauea Volcano. Not much but nice images.
    According to this news update, its added almost 700 acres to the island.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information