+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 836: ''Mom's Secret - Elbaf and the Little Monster''

Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar

Default 836: ''Mom's Secret - Elbaf and the Little Monster''

Happy Mother's Day!

Title: ''Mom's Secret - Elbaf and the Little Monster''
    Chapters Covered: 866
    New Characters: Mr. and Mrs. Charlotte, Mother Carmel, Raideen, Gerth, Jorl and Jarl
    Episode Director: Yutaka Nakashima
    Animation Director: Toshio Deguchi (**)
    Time: 8:30PM EST
    Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece

Yutaka Nakashima isn't new, but he hasn't seemed to work on the show since early Punk Hazard-ish.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Default Re: 836: ''Mom's Secret - Elbaf and the Little Monster''

Fleeting moments of brilliance. I must say I expected more considering the time allocated for this episode. Deguchi was top KA followed by Mitsui as second credited; overall, the art and animation shows great polish. I might just need to rewatch the episode, but something that *really* bothered me with this episode was the art direction.

Background art, while often overlooked, is so important when establishing atmosphere, and yet it felt like it was totally rushed in some areas. There were definitely some good shots, but I felt like they could've gotten way more creative considering Elbaf's viking inspired theme and its geographic position, or things like actually paying attention to the lighting inside a house coming from a fireplace, instead of painting it like it's lit by electric lights.

Dull is the only way to describe this episode for me, atleast the ending bit was nicely done.

/ Mother Caramels Seiyuu is apparantly really famous, but it feels like a total mismatch for the character based on the vibes I get in the manga. Might just be me (?)
    Last edited by Jakisuaki; May 12th, 2018 at 06:21 PM.

One Piece Episode 837 Preview

This episode was great and paced very fast. (Too fast in some degree.)

The storyboard of this episode was finished in late January. Thanks to the good schedule the staff had enough time working on this episode, and the episode looked very good even though the AD was Deguchi. Background wise the staff did also pay more attentions to the background arts, just like other flashback episodes.

However, I really wished they covered some parts of the flashback in the last episode, so the pacing of #835 would have been good enough.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Jakisuaki View Post
    Fleeting moments of brilliance. I must say I expected more considering the time allocated for this episode. Deguchi was top KA followed by Mitsui as second credited; overall, the art and animation shows great polish. I might just need to rewatch the episode, but something that *really* bothered me with this episode was the art direction.

Background art, while often overlooked, is so important when establishing atmosphere, and yet it felt like it was totally rushed in some areas. There were definitely some good shots, but I felt like they could've gotten way more creative considering Elbaf's viking inspired theme and its geographic position, or things like actually paying attention to the lighting inside a house coming from a fireplace, instead of painting it like it's lit by electric lights.

Dull is the only way to describe this episode for me, atleast the ending bit was nicely done.
    In this episode there were some very nice directing ideas here and there and it's safe to say that the directing of this episode was more creative than many other episodes. Besides, I thought they did pay more attention to the background arts as well as the post production period. Compared this episode with other flashback episodes there weren't drastic differences IMO.
    Last edited by Tomorrow_D; May 12th, 2018 at 07:51 PM.

Mother Carmel's voice didn't feel right. I liked the ending.
    OPTC (JPN) FC: 223.189.439

The art direction was great in this episode, the backgrounds really sold the scope of Elbaf

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrow_D View Post
    This episode was great and paced very fast. (Too fast in some degree.)

The storyboard of this episode was finished in late January. Thanks to the good schedule the staff had enough time working on this episode, and the episode looked very good even though the AD was Deguchi. Background wise the staff did also pay more attentions to the background arts, just like other flashback episodes.

However, I really wished they covered some parts of the flashback in the last episode, so the pacing of #835 would have been good enough.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

In this episode there were some very nice directing ideas here and there and it's safe to say that the directing of this episode was more creative than many other episodes. Besides, I thought they did pay more attention to the background arts as well as the post production period. Compared this episode with other flashback episodes there weren't drastic differences IMO.
    I agree flashbacks are usually the most conservative in terms of direction. Id say limiting them to that is kind if putting an artificial ceiling on how good they can be though so I hope they feel free to do more in the future during flashbacks. Throw a little sakuga on it while they're at it
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

I thought the episode was mostly fine, but I'll agree with everyone else that Carmel's VA is really unfitting. She needs to have a raspy, old witch voice, c'mon now.

Also the orphan kids are really cute, especially the banished prince.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakisuaki View Post
    Fleeting moments of brilliance. I must say I expected more considering the time allocated for this episode. Deguchi was top KA followed by Mitsui as second credited; overall, the art and animation shows great polish. I might just need to rewatch the episode, but something that *really* bothered me with this episode was the art direction. Background art, while often overlooked, is so important when establishing atmosphere, and yet it felt like it was totally rushed in some areas. There were definitely some good shots, but I felt like they could've gotten way more creative considering Elbaf's viking inspired theme and its geographic position, or things like actually paying attention to the lighting inside a house coming from a fireplace, instead of painting it like it's lit by electric lights.
    I think the problem is despite being on Elbaf, the directing never allowed for the scope of the giants home and culture to be sold. For example, there was no Marineford-tier shot, or even an angle to suggest the massive size of the Giants, so when things were big, I was taken out of the experience before remembering how we were on Elbaf. It's a case of Tell-not-Show. They TOLD us we're on Elbaf, but they never showed it. The background with the wolf and bear looks like a generic mountain. I think the problem was that, because Elbaf was only modestly established (probably because an arc there would be the thing to REALLY show it off not a 2 chapter flashback in the middle of this massive arc) the series had to be very conservative with its direction. It couldn't show too much outside of the village. Because it may contradict later events in the Manga, and even contradict some of it's cultural elements. Which is a double kick in the face considering that this is One piece, a series Entirely established on its use of Strong, hyper-exaggerated perspective. If Jojo's Bizzarre Adventure is known for it's Fabulous posing, and HxH is known for being simple-yet-detailed/psuedo-realistic art, Then One Piece is definitely the king of Perspective art. More appropriately - SCALE
    Spoiler:

...Seriously the amount of perspective used in this series is astounding. They were very restrained in selling Elbaf, and a lack of any real perspective shots killed the scope, and even the fundamental elements of One Piece's art direction as a franchise. Oda is the king of making things BIG!!, and yet when we get the Isle of frickin giants, its framed like an ordinary small village. Also, Whenever you multiply the size of a character, they move slower, it adds weight to them. That's not in this episode, despite being surrounded by giants.

Also, May I just go on record and say I despise how this show lights scenes? While on one hand I appreciate that they dont abuse post-processing to make lights happen artificially, I DONT appreciate that the drawings, and color choices tend to always be flat colors. Even the oldest episodes of this show (ok, Alabastia onward) had that purple texture on its characters, and made some interesting choices with its directing.
    Last edited by RJ Returns; May 13th, 2018 at 12:22 AM.

Yeah. If Fumi Hirano was going to be cast they should have definitely cast her as a younger character.

Like everyone, I felt Carmel's voice was missing something. It was just too sweet. However (manga spoilers for the next episode)
    Spoiler:
    when you think that this is all a front she is putting, it makes perfect sense for her voice to sound like that. Let's see how she will sound when she is talking to the CP-0, I believe it will be closer to what we were expecting

If it's true this episode was mostly finished back in January, the reason for the weird pacing last episode may have been to fill in the gap. Notice there was little to no recap this episode at all, meaning those scenes during the narration were probably inserted last second. Even the part at the beginning with Big Mom had different recorded lines than last episode.

The episode was good overall. I like this flashback but I guess seeing it a second time and knowing what happens made me enjoy it somewhat less. But I'm actually glad the anime adapted it this time around directly without much added fluff as it's not really needed for flashbacks, especially this one. Straight and to the point. The little inserts with the giants about who they are was a little random but I understand why they did it for new kids watching the series.

Did stansen appear in the episode? I somehow didn't notice him

"She has no right to thank the Sun!"

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    Like everyone, I felt Carmel's voice was missing something. It was just too sweet. However (manga spoilers for the next episode)
    Spoiler:
    when you think that this is all a front she is putting, it makes perfect sense for her voice to sound like that. Let's see how she will sound when she is talking to the CP-0, I believe it will be closer to what we were expecting
    I agree. Being around children all the time calls for a voice like this.

do the credits reveal the names of linlin's parents and the orphans?

Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar

The parents are just identified as "Linlin's Mama" and "Linlin's Papa". Similarly, the kids just seem to be identified by appearance, IE "Panda", "Mohawk", "Mask", etc.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Oda provided the anime team (?) with the names of the Charlotte kids, that's why we keep getting those. For any other character you can expect the regular treatment.

lol some of the art in this episode

Usually I just watch the clips on youtube, but I always watch whole episodes for flashbacks. I agree with Carmel's voice being unfitting, though I'm pleased that her colors are exactly what I imagined. Was a pretty standard nicely paced episode, though I could do without the blurb describing giants we know. Like I get why it's there, but I still don't care for it, especially since suddenly talking about the Straw Hats' journey kinda takes you out of flashback immersion.
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

Duuuude

Carmel sounds exactly as I imagined she would from the manga.

Starving Artist Elektrik Dynomite's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by akagami7 View Post
    Did stansen appear in the episode? I somehow didn't notice him
    No, I was looking for him, for some reason they cut him out. It was only a minor cameo though, so not a big deal, would have been funny if they did the whole "... and this is the giant that Rayleigh would end up helping in the auction house" lol

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information