+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 840: ''Severing Father-Son Ties - Sanji and Judge''

Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar

Default 840: ''Severing Father-Son Ties - Sanji and Judge''

Happy (early) Father's Day!

Title: ''Severing Father-Son Ties - Sanji and Judge''
    Chapters Covered: rest of 869-870
    Episode Director: Yutaka Nakashima (***)
    Animation Director: Shigefumi Shingaki (**1/2)
    Time: 8:30PM EST
    Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Default Re: 840: ''Severing Father-Son Ties - Sanji and Judge''

Rough Shingaki this week. This episode didn't have stacks of time (and was probably affected by the SP), but Nakashima's direction and Studio Cosmo helping out really carried this. Despite its roughness it was a very enjoyable episode. Next week seems to have Tomita going in. Seems like they're extending Luffy's fight with Big Mom.
    Last edited by Jakisuaki; June 9th, 2018 at 06:45 PM.

One Piece Episode 841 Preview

Boy howdy Big Mom's power SURE is diminished a lot when it takes her like 63 punches before Bege turns back to normal.
    I remember those hits being more, uh.. impactful and fewer in the manga.

21st Century Schizoid Man S.C. Amigo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Saturday View Post
    Boy howdy Big Mom's power SURE is diminished a lot when it takes her like 63 punches before Bege turns back to normal.
    I remember those hits being more, uh.. impactful and fewer in the manga.
    The dark side of anime expansion.

I was thinking this episode will be worse but it was not that bad, preview for next episode looks good and i hope we will see Ishizuka in next ep or in one of the next few episodes, if not then i think we can assume he is working one special...

Am I the only one around here who thinks that Nakashima should get a 4 star rating (****)? Some of his directing, just like in episode 836, is just so well executed imo.
    Monkey D. D. Ragon! So beastly he got two D's in his name!

Yep i agree with you, he deserve at least 3*1/2 but more likely 4* and Hosoda for me should have 3*1/2 instead of 3*...

Big Mom's assault did feel dragged out at times, but it could have been far worse and was entertaining for the most part. The shots of Big Mom punching Bege from his perspective were done pretty well.

Sanji's scene with Judge and everything following that was definitely the highlight of the episode though, very top notch. I don't remember any part of that scene where it felt like the episode was stalling for time; Sanji got right to the point and the flashbacks were used very well. Hiroaki Hirata had a good performance and the final scene of Germa coming out of the castle was done well. Next week's episode covers one of my favorite WCI chapters, let's hope the anime team gets it right.

Spoiler:

Unless we're supposed to believe Big Mom stopped trying and was just standing there over the 10+ pages while they were discussing their options, Sanji vs Judge happened, etc, then I guess she hit quite a few punches in the manga as well..

Only thing I dislked was that the episode should've gone to the end of chapter 870, would make a better cliffhanger IMO (and avoid giving so much spotlight to the Germa again). A recurring issue with the anime these days. But other than that, a fine episode.

The biggest problems with Manga is always in the timing. This isnt the only anime to have to do weird things with the timing I still remember Jojo vs Dio stand-jumping for so long fans thought they were flying in Part 3.

Slight side note, I have really grown to despise the specials over the years. They're never that good because the time of the special can not possibly fill the entirety of a large story arc. And what it does to the production of the show. Doubly heinous this time around as this arc has SOOO DAMN MUCH improvement from the last few. To see it fall back to a pretty weak place just to make a crappy 2 hour tv special about one of the Longest arcs in the One Piece Manga hurts my soul. And it's the tea party seg that really needs the boost in production because frankly it was kinda boring in the Manga too. Heres hoping the chase part of the arc is handled aeons better

I don't understand why people always assume things not shown in the panels of the manga that are expanded upon in the anime are not legit? As someone said above, why would Big Mom just be standing around while this entire conversation happened?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information