+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Football: 2018 World Cup

King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar

Default Re: Football: 2018 World Cup

Well, here is the only possible chance for Portugal to beat Spain. I hope we take it and go at the match putting everything into it, as if it was a final.
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn. (Socrates (Σωκράτης) method to enlighten people, ca. 500 BC)

Congrats tu US, México and Canada for holding the World Cup in 2026!

The United States, Mexico And Canada Will Host The 2026 World Cup

Which means that the US will finally get to play at the world cup

Couldn't the USA host the world cup by itself? Isn't 3 huge countries a bit too much? Different time zones, widely different latitudes, huge trips all over the place, it's going to be very exhausting for the players. Doesn't seem like a good idea. It's an entire friggin continent! I can't understand FIFA's ideas, sometimes...
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn. (Socrates (Σωκράτης) method to enlighten people, ca. 500 BC)

Yeah that is a bit weird. All 3 countries get automatic qualification and the tournament is held across an entire continent. Seems like a bloody expensive investment if you want to go watch your team as a fan.

The next euro cup will be held across the continent too. And it's only problematic for the fans who actually follow the team. No one else cares. It's better to share the burden with other countries so that no one spends billions into new stadiums that'll turn out to be useless afterward

Imagine the US actually building huge football stadiums.

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

wow cool. but yeah, playing a game in Vancouver and then travelling Acapulco for the next game will be definitely problematic.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    Group F looks like the race for second place will be a bloodsport.
    yea, I agree as a Mexican, I can foresee every nation there basing their possible qualification not in the results between them but in how fucked they come out of facing Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    The next euro cup will be held across the continent too. And it's only problematic for the fans who actually follow the team. No one else cares. It's better to share the burden with other countries so that no one spends billions into new stadiums that'll turn out to be useless afterward

Imagine the US actually building huge football stadiums.
    That doesn't really make any sense. The US will host the vast majority of the games of the next World Cup, so the burden will be hard on them either way. And they have huge sports stadiums that can be adapted for association football anyway. Not to mention that they are a rich country. Unlike Brazil or South Africa who spent ridiculous amounts of money they shouldn't have into something that did not benefit them. And it's not only problematic for fans that follow the team, it is problematic for the team itself! Making ridiculously long trips between matches, losing valuable resting and training time, accumulating fatigue and needlessly wasting money from the country's federation (which is supported by public funds, at least in Portugal). So yes, it is a ridiculous idea to host a tournament accross an entire continent. If there are too many matches for a single country to host, then reduce the number of teams and stop being so greedy.

After Qatar I'm fine with the US et al hosting the 2026 showpiece. I do agree that the traveling could be a bit of a burden on the teams but I suppose smart planning will lift some of it.

In other news, what's wrong with the Spanish FA? They "had no choice but to sack the coach"? Mere days before the World Cup, disrupting a perfectly functioning team so they can save face? Jesus, what a bunch of idiots.

It's happening on 3countries only to make it look greater and better. But it's still not as much silly as you're implying.
    Because (unless they fuck this up) it's not like they were gonna make play a team 7hours of flight away from their prior match. They'll be wise and everyone's next match should be at 3(or4)hours of plane ride at most

its gonna be 48 teams.
    16 groups of 3 teams. Mexico hosts 5 groups, Canada 5 more and U.S. 6 groups.
    the 16 qualifiers play all games in one country, then 8 qualifiers play all games in other, semi-finalist in the other country
    then just coin toss the final game.

Except it's been decided that the USA will host 60 matches in 10 cities, Canada 10 in 3 cities, Mexico 10 in 3 cities. The Russia and Brazil tournaments already prove that the diciding factors for the organization are not player comfort and efficiency, but whatever gives the most exposure to the brand new stadiums that took hundreds of millions of public funds to build.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrior View Post
    Couldn't the USA host the world cup by itself? Isn't 3 huge countries a bit too much? Different time zones, widely different latitudes, huge trips all over the place, it's going to be very exhausting for the players. Doesn't seem like a good idea. It's an entire friggin continent! I can't understand FIFA's ideas, sometimes...
    All those problems apply to the US just by itself.

Also the alternative was Morocco, no other real bids that I recall. So it's not nearly as controversially stupid a decision as Qatar.
    Like that I don't shut up about games? Here's my game design blog
    Twitch Channel: twitch.tv/Nephy4

The Qatar choice had more to do with corruption that an actual choice though

Also, map of the cities that will host the world cup in 2026
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I think that the Moroccan application was initially supposed to be along with Portugal and Spain. Or maybe it was just a random idea discussed at the time. That would have been a good choice. 3 small countries but with good capabilities to host a football competition. Anyway, back to the topic of the 2018 cup, gentlemen/ladies?

I'm afraid to admit that I reckon England have a decent chance of doing well.
    PSN Username: Scoogs50

The Qatari have almost bought all the TV rights for the world cup in France. It's getting harder and harder to watch the world cup peacefully.
    Most of the matches will be broadcasted on beIngSport (the Qatari pay channel).

Anyway, I'll probably watch them somewhere on a stream, but I was wondering if it's the same in other countries too. Are there still countries where all the matches are broadcasted on publics channels ?

wanna play to guess results?

The Qatari have almost bought all the TV rights for the world cup in France. It's getting harder and harder to watch the world cup peacefully.

Anyway, I'll probably watch them somewhere on a stream, but I was wondering if it's the same in other countries too. Are there still countries where all the matches are broadcasted on publics channels ?
    In Portugal we have four open signal channels (two of them being state owned) and these open signal channel will air most of the games, including of course the ones our national team will be playing. The rest of them will be aired on a premium cable channel.

So we have
    20 games broadcasted in RTP1, two of them featuring Portugal (that's the state owned channel)
    7 games broadcasted in SIC, one of them featuring Portugal (open signal channel)
    20 games broadcasted in Sport TV (premium cable channel)

[source: https://observador.pt/2018/06/13/mun...-cada-partida/ ]

This being said, it's not very hard anyway to catch the games provided you have no qualms about watching them in cafés/pubs. We have a big culture of watching big and international games in such places so pretty much every café/pub has that premium cable channel.
    And since Euro 2004, which we hosted, there's also the tradition of setting up huge screens in plazas or football stadiums so that every one can see the national team playing.

Edit: that data refers only to the groups phase. I couldn't find the schedule for the post-groups games.
    Still, it's easy to bet that most of those, including the final will be broadcasted by public channels. Certainly all games that could feature Portugal will be open channel.

Thankfully in England International football is still broadcast on public TV. All the matches are either on BBC or ITV both of which are public channels, there's also the thousands of pubs that will always be showing the games. Premier league and champions league matches are getting harder to watch each year as private companies are getting all the rights to them but at least the international tournaments seem to be safe.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information